Home Sports Talk
Options

New England Patriots 2019 discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need to fix the offensive line and pocket so Brady doesn't get too nervous back there. Otherwise we are ok.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea Brady can’t be getting flustered back there, we need to protect him especially down the road when we play real teams

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd question the play-calling in that first half too. NE barely tried running the ball that half and it was the run game that got them going in the second half when they pulled away for good.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I'd question the play-calling in that first half too. NE barely tried running the ball that half and it was the run game that got them going in the second half when they pulled away for good.

We definitely have work to do. I trust Belichick and McDaniels and the rest of the staff to get things perfect. Usually at this time of the season we have work to do. The difference this year is we are undefeated. We still have adjustments to make. And BB uses the early part of the season to put different things on the field and see how it goes. I think we have a great team. Defense is really, really dominant. Kansas City defense is struggling. That is a big plus. Plus they lost yesterday.

• Options

I agree and part of that is why i'm not too worried about their lack of consistency from the OL so far,barring injury. Half of those guys weren't here for training camp so it's mostly been learning the system on the fly while playing multiple positions in some cases. They'll eventually get better as the season goes on, hopefully Brady doesn't get killed before then.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    hopefully Brady doesn't get killed before then.

I was a little worried about him yesterday.

• Options

Ben Watson wasn't added to the roster by 4pm which makes him a free agent. There was even a report stating he was seen cleaning out his locker. NE now has roughly 4M in cap space.

• Options

Can we assume it was just that he couldn't play well enough, or do they need the cap space?

• Options

So Watson is gone? Interesting to say the least. Something is up if it was a cap space issue. Maybe they are looking at someone?

• Options

So we get a beat up Giants team on prime time tonight. Everyone is talking about how bad we will beat them which is annoying me, I predict we will start off slow and the score will be like a 10-6 variety going into the half. I HATE the Giants so hopefully I’m wrong and we destroy them. Oh and no injuries too please

• Options

@perkdog said:
    So we get a beat up Giants team on prime time tonight. Everyone is talking about how bad we will beat them which is annoying me, I predict we will start off slow and the score will be like a 10-6 variety going into the half. I HATE the Giants so hopefully I’m wrong and we destroy them. Oh and no injuries too please

Agree. I absolutley HATE the Giants.

• Options

I was thinking I might hate them less without Eli in there but NOPE I hate them just as much

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I was thinking I might hate them less without Eli in there but NOPE I hate them just as much

The Giants are easy to hate....just like the Eaglet's! B)

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Eli has one of the most punchable faces in professional sports.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@perkdog said:

Eli has one of the most punchable faces in professional sports.

I hate him 😡

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

Well as game time approaches, my question is whether this game will effectively be over by the end of the first quarter. Do the G men even have enough bodies on offense to field a team?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2019 5:53PM

As an Eagles and Patriots fan, I do hate the Giants.

BTW What wrong with Brady! That last pass was terrible!

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

The Patriots do not have a place kicker. This is not going to be a great year despite the possible 6-0 start. You can’t play offense like this and survive the play-offs.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2019 8:27PM

Are the Patriot fans sleeping through this one?

We have to do better in the first half of critical games!

• Options

@BillJones said:

Sorry I didn’t chime in last night, I had a bunch of buddies over for Beer/Food/poker while watching the game! 🍺🍕♠️♣️♥️♦️🏈

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

Not sleeping, watching a great D, but an offense that needs to improve 🏈. O line is not controlling the line of scrimmage.

• Options

So my honest take on this team since we went from whispers of 16-0 to not being able to score against a seriously crappy team. Brady all of a sudden doesn’t have weapons, the RB’s are not playing all the hat well and the Offensive Line is no good which is the exact Recipe for Brady to look like crap. The Defense is an amazing unit and might be their best one yet under Belichick. Bottom line their D is carrying them and it’s not going to get them through teams that are much better than the sorry teams we have been playing. 6-0 is nice on paper but when you look at it in regards to the teams we have played it’s not looking all that good, I’m still not sold on the Bills and that is the only team they have played worthy of mentioning

• Options

The Pats will probably get into the playoffs because they will probably win the Eastern Division. The Jets and Dolphins probably won’t win 6 games, and Buffalo is the Pat’s only competition. The Pat’s offense is weak, and the kicker is making extra points into adventures. Missed PATS can kill you.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady finally threw the ball to some of the rookies , so , we have that going for us :#

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    Brady finally threw the ball to some of the rookies , so , we have that going for us :#

Actually your right, they did get some quality action which is going to be beneficial since Gordon got absolutely destroyed on that fumble return. Like I won’t be suprised if he misses a lot of time

• Options

@BillJones said:
    The Pats will probably get into the playoffs because they will probably win the Eastern Division. The Jets and Dolphins probably won’t win 6 games, and Buffalo is the Pat’s only competition. The Pat’s offense is weak, and the kicker is making extra points into adventures. Missed PATS can kill you.

It’s absolutely ridiculous that we are just fighting tooth and nail for every extra point, I’d be recycling Kickers like Bud Light cans, miss an extra point? GONE, miss a 30 yard FG? GONE. They will win the division though, hopefully come playoff time they can get some type of rhythm on offense, the D can’t carry them the entire way I don’t think. Although the 2000 Ravens and Trent Dilfer might beg to differ

• Options

The Patriots always have to work through issues in the first half of the season. The difference this year is that they are doing it while remaining undefeated. The offense will need to improve, and it is a question of personnel. Particularly offensive line and TE, IMO.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    The Patriots always have to work through issues in the first half of the season. The difference this year is that they are doing it while remaining undefeated. The offense will need to improve, and it is a question of personnel. Particularly offensive line and TE, IMO.

They do make good adjustments as the season progresses I’m just not sold on how dominant their 6-0 sounds.

• Options

It's not a dominant 6-0. But I think we are just a really good team that can find many ways to win. Should be a fun season. Can't wait to play KC ( but let's fix this offense a little first..and get the kicking game right...and fix the O line.. and get better blocking from the TEs....).

• Options

It's not a dominant 6-0. But I think we are just a really good team that can find many ways to win. Should be a fun season. Can't wait to play KC ( but let's fix this offense a little first..and get the kicking game right...and fix the O line.. and get better blocking from the TEs....).

Agreed on all points

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patriots are like the Bulls with Jordan. The regular season is just that. We’ve been here before. Let’s get into the playoffs and time to get fired up. Honestly how excited are they when they played buffalo, 30-3 and the Giants, rookie QB and no Barkley? Hoo hum. When it’s time to play they always do.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

2 Games up on all in the AFC, couldn’t ask for a better start 🏈🏈🏈

• Options

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    2 Games up on all in the AFC, couldn’t ask for a better start 🏈🏈🏈

KC who??? We got to watch out for them still AND the Texans too, Watson is a beast

• Options

Since the Jets' young quarterback seems to be healthy again, they might not be the walkover we thought they would be. The Patriots have gotten off to weak starts in the last few games. They had best not continue that pattern if they want to get back to the really big show.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I am quite concerned about Mondays game!

• Options
    edited October 14, 2019 2:41PM

Looks like Ben Watson is getting re-signed now that they have a roster spot with Jakob Johnson heading to IR. N'Keal Harry can start practicing this week too.

• Options

Bill being Bill with Watson

• Options

Watson seemed like he really wants to be part of this team. A lot of times those older veteran players who are appreciative of being on/back with the Pats are our key contributors. I hope he is able to play and be consistent. That should help us a lot.

• Options

Watching the Jets recently makes me wish we had kept D Thomas. But that is just how it goes. BB's no-nonsense, no emotion approach to personnel is why we are so consistently good.

• Options
    edited October 15, 2019 8:27AM

@thisistheshow said:
    Watson seemed like he really wants to be part of this team. A lot of times those older veteran players who are appreciative of being on/back with the Pats are our key contributors. I hope he is able to play and be consistent. That should help us a lot.

Totally agree with Veterans, the Pats should always be a last stop for them after they made their money and want a real shot at a ring. I know Watson has one but I wouldn’t be suprised if he really wants another to finish his career, he is 38

• Options

They added another TE in former Jets/Giants tight end Eric Tomlinson.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

I didn't know him. Looked him up.
    Hope he helps.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

I didn't know him. Looked him up.
    Hope he helps.

I'd be happy if he's just a decent blocker at best. Lacosse & Izzo aren't really known for their blocking and with both fullbacks on IR anyone BB adds that can help out in the pass/run game should be a plus imo.

• Options
    edited October 15, 2019 9:32AM

Develin is missed in the running game but not nearly as much as Gronk with the blocking

• Options
    edited October 15, 2019 11:10AM

Gronk,Allen Develin & Trent Brown are all missed in the run game right now. When they wanted to run behind that group last year they created huge holes for the RBs.

• Options

Bennet is getting suspended for monday nights game with the Jets after a "disagreement" with his postion coach.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Bennet is getting suspended for monday nights game with the Jets after a "disagreement" with his postion coach.

Hopefully he Doesn’t think he is being singled out and get all but hurt over it

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

I have heard, not sure if it's true, that he has been upset about playing time. Seems like he has played well in limited snaps. The defense is loaded.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

I have heard, not sure if it's true, that he has been upset about playing time. Seems like he has played well in limited snaps. The defense is loaded.

I’m ok with a guy being upset over playing time actually but really the D has been playing so well I don’t understand why he would want to make an issue out of it, everything they have done is working well. Bennett has been quiet and honestly I couldn’t stand the guy but he has been well behaved up to this point. Hopefully he calms down going forward