Home Sports Talk

New England Patriots 2019 discussion thread

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as D Thomas goes I actually don’t even think he is healthy to play for an extended amount of time, I don’t think he is even fully practicing with the Jets yet.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like both James White (child birth) & James Develin (injury) will be out for this game. They brought up a rookie fullback from the practice squad.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    As far as D Thomas goes I actually don’t even think he is healthy to play for an extended amount of time, I don’t think he is even fully practicing with the Jets yet.

It was probably a good move even without AB. Go Pats LFG!!!

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:
    https://weei.radio.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/antonio-brown-will-likely-forfeit-10-million-after-release
    Once this gets taken care of,BB should call Washington about LT Trent Williams. Turn Brown's money & a pick or two into a legit Left Tackle.

Sounds good but I don’t see them doing that. I wish D Thomas worked out and they didn’t put the rookie WR on the IR. I want this team to succeed against good teams. I just feel they need more than Dorsett, Edelman and Gordon. Especially since Gordon needs to be considered a week to week commitment..

I felt like the team we saw in Week 1 was fantastic. But I can't help but wonder if the fact that they were going to get D Thomas back somehow played into the psychology of it. That might seem far fetched. :D

Why would anyone want Thomas? Guy is soft .

Ugly win but I'll take it. Edelman & Gordon getting banged up sucked and hopefully both are back practicing this week. It was good to see Meyers finally get on the same page with Brady in a real game and Dorsett is becoming Mr Dependable for Tom,he kind of reminds me of David Patten back in the early 2000's. Cannon playing was a plus.
    That defense though! Jamie Collins is playing like a monster these three past games and their secondary keeps getting better with each week.
    I bet we hear about both Stidham & Gunner putting in extra work this week in practice after screwing up royally.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady taken out when spread covered,score Ne 30-7. Jets score, now 30-14. Bring Brady back in. Why? An attempt to cover the spread? Why risk an injury. Game was in hand up by 16. Interesting.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Brady taken out when spread covered,score Ne 30-7. Jets score, now 30-14. Bring Brady back in. Why? An attempt to cover the spread? Why risk an injury. Game was in hand up by 16. Interesting.

I didn't watch the game, but I saw on the boxscore that he threw a pick. May have been in his only series of downs. Considering he was in there just to not make any mistakes, the pick was very ill advised. Belichick must have been very hissed off.

Great coaches hate picks. Belichick no doubt wanted to teach the kid a lesson. Continue to throw picks and not only will you be pulled from the game, you'll be cut.

I didn’t even watch the second half. I knew there would be some injuries today, I seriously hope Edelman and Gordon are ok.

Just reading up and apparently Xrays were Negative with Edelman

Stidham came in for Brady and airmailed a 10yd pass to a RB that turned into a Pick 6. Belichick putting Brady back in was strictly because it was now "just" a two possession game. Zero chance that BB put Brady back in because of the spread.

It did seem weird that he put Brady back in but like Erik said it was a 2 possession game so I get it although the chances of them ever doing that were slim to none. I’m extremely happy that BB finally smartened up after about 20 years and took Brady out during a blowout though. It’s a step in n the right direction for BB and some of his ridiculously stupid moves he do s or doesn’t do.

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I didn’t even watch the second half. I knew there would be some injuries today, I seriously hope Edelman and Gordon are ok.

Looks good, Gordon went back in and xrays were negative 👍. On to Buffalo!

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@perkdog said:

Looks good, Gordon went back in and xrays were negative 👍. On to Buffalo!

Great news 👍👍

@perkdog said:
    It did seem weird that he put Brady back in but like Erik said it was a 2 possession game so I get it although the chances of them ever doing that were slim to none. I’m extremely happy that BB finally smartened up after about 20 years and took Brady out during a blowout though. It’s a step in n the right direction for BB and some of his ridiculously stupid moves he do s or doesn’t do.

But the way he did it was so strange. I know this isn't true, I'm joking, but it looked like BB is so inexperienced at pulling Tom that he doesn't know the right way to do it. :D

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

But the way he did it was so strange. I know this isn't true, I'm joking, but it looked like BB is so inexperienced at pulling Tom that he doesn't know the right way to do it. :D

It has been my biggest hang up with him over the years, he refuses to take key players out during blowouts. It’s absolutely ignorant and careless. Remember when Gronk got hurt on an extra point attempt during a sure win?

Belichick finally wisely took out Tom Brady when the game was in hand, and the kid he put in starting playing like Ryan Leaf.

I remember that.

Hopefully he will start doing it.

@thisistheshow said:
    I remember that.

Hopefully he will start doing it.

He needs too. It’s irresponsible otherwise

@stevek said:
    Belichick finally wisely took out Tom Brady when the game was in hand, and the kid he put in starting playing like Ryan Leaf.

I hope the kid can learn and be an effective back up, preseason dont count but he did ok then. Hopefully more blow outs to get him some real reps

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

I hope the kid can learn and be an effective back up, preseason dont count but he did ok then. Hopefully more blow outs to get him some real reps

You have a bye week when you play Philly. ;)B)

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

That’s a big game! Got a big bet on it as well 👍

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

You probably get to play the Cowboys too. I think we play everyone in your division. The Pat's and the Bill's are my biggest worries.

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

You probably get to play the Cowboys too. I think we play everyone in your division. The Pat's and the Bill's are my biggest worries.

The Bills? Really?

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

The Bills? Really?

They have been looking pretty good. :/

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Pats are the first team since 1951 to shut out 5 consecutive teams in the first half. their defense is vastly superior to Kansas City's, and that would be the deciding factor if an AFC Championship rematch were to be held today.

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

DeSean Jackson will be back by then, and it's a home game for the Eagles.

Right now i think the Patriots will be around a 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 point favorite.

It would be great fun if the Patriots went into the Linc undefeated, and the Eagles knocked them on their keisters to hand them their first loss of the season.

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

It would be great fun if the Patriots went into the Linc undefeated, and the Eagles knocked them on their keisters to hand them their first loss of the season.

Let’s see how it plays out bud

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

That's why they play them. B)

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

I emailed Doug Pederson and asked him to make that game a bounty bowl game.

I wanna see Patriots players strewn all over the football field.

And not just that game, every game the Eagles play.

B)

James Develin got put on I.R. and BB will have to choose two out of Develin,Wynn & Harry to come back from IR later in the season. I think I'd go with the first two.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    the Pats are the first team since 1951 to shut out 5 consecutive teams in the first half. their defense is vastly superior to Kansas City's, and that would be the deciding factor if an AFC Championship rematch were to be held today.

I hope the Patriots fans and the talking heads continue to look past next week. Hopefully all the hype will continue about Daniel Jones, how bad Baker Mayfield is, Lamar Jackson and Patrick Mahomes.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:

@galaxy27 said:

I hope the Patriots fans and the talking heads continue to look past next week. Hopefully all the hype will continue about Daniel Jones, how bad Baker Mayfield is, Lamar Jackson and Patrick Mahomes.

Well speaking for myself I don’t believe any game is unimportant or an auto mic W. The season is young anything can happen

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

Mahomes eats vastly superior defenses for breakfast.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

BTW- I have no official opinion on how good or bad the Patriots are this season.
    Since they have played teams that are now a combined 0-9 for the season, I will reserve judgement.
    Every Chiefs opponent thus far has been undefeated at the time the Chiefs played them including next week.

So saying the Pats have a vastly superior defense maybe overstating the case. There is no proof of that.
    Not when you're playing against the Jet's and Dolphin's offense.
    Possibly after next week if the Pats perform well against the Bills they will begin to show up on the radar.
    I looked at the Pats schedule and there is a point where they play 5 or 6 pretty good teams in a row.
    After those games I'll see where NE stands.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:
    BTW- I have no official opinion on how good or bad the Patriots are this season.
    Since they have played teams that are now a combined 0-9 for the season, I will reserve judgement.
    Every Chiefs opponent thus far has been undefeated at the time the Chiefs played them including next week.

So saying the Pats have a vastly superior defense maybe overstating the case. There is no proof of that.
    Possibly after next week if the Pats perform well against the Bills they will begin to show up on the radar.
    I looked at the Pats schedule and there is a point where they play 5 or 6 pretty good teams in a row.

Don't forget that any team can beat any team on a given Sunday in the NFL.

@erikthredd said:
    Stidham came in for Brady and airmailed a 10yd pass to a RB that turned into a Pick 6. Belichick putting Brady back in was strictly because it was now "just" a two possession game. Zero chance that BB put Brady back in because of the spread.

Why is Stidham throwing out of the shotgun 3 straight times on his first ever series? L:et him hand off a few times get into the game first. Oh right we had no running game , never mind :D

edited September 23, 2019 6:02PM

@Darin said:

you're right, it might be. but then again, it might not be.

with my own two eyes i've watched NE give up no points in the first half of the AFC Championship game against your team, no points in the first half against the Rams in the Super Bowl (and three for the game), then no points against the Steelers, Dolphins and Jets in the first half of every game thus far this season (and a combined 17 points).

in fact, the last time the Patriots gave up a touchdown on defense was in the second half against yours boys in the AFC Champ game.

i agree about Miami and NY, but it was the game against Pittsburgh that made me sit up and take notice. in fact, i think my exact words while watching that game were, "oh shit, their D is legit. here comes another Super Bowl."

we shall see.

@Darin said:

@galaxy27 said:

Mahomes eats vastly superior defenses for breakfast.

One of these teams IS the Chiefs

@Darin said:

I'll put it like this...

@Darin You watched your team last year. You watch them this year. You can maybe just tell that the offensive juggernaut they started last year is only getting better.

Watching the Pats last year, extrapolating that out to what you see this year, they are better.

IMO, teams don't only need to be battle tested, they need to be battle scarred. So I hope that the Chiefs Pats regular season game leaves the Patriots feeling like they have a lot more to prove.

@galaxy27 said:

@Darin said:

you're right, it might be. but then again, it might not be.

with my own two eyes i've watched NE give up no points in the first half of the AFC Championship game against your team, no points in the first half against the Rams in the Super Bowl (and three for the game), then no points against the Steelers, Dolphins and Jets in the first half of every game thus far this season (and a combined 17 points).

in fact, the last time the Patriots gave up a touchdown on defense was in the second half against yours boys in the AFC Champ game.

i agree about Miami and NY, but it was the game against Pittsburgh that made me sit up and take notice. in fact, i think my exact words while watching that game were, "oh shit, their D is legit. here comes another Super Bowl."

we shall see.

Sorry, I didn't even realize the Chiefs were one of the teams you were talking about since the
    Chiefs rang their bell for 31 points in the second half. Why does only the first half count?
    Like you said, we shall see. I'm just not going to be a big believer in how good the Pats are until they
    actually play somebody.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

I'll put it like this...

@Darin You watched your team last year. You watch them this year. You can maybe just tell that the offensive juggernaut they started last year is only getting better.

Watching the Pats last year, extrapolating that out to what you see this year, they are better.

IMO, teams don't only need to be battle tested, they need to be battle scarred. So I hope that the Chiefs Pats regular season game leaves the Patriots feeling like they have a lot more to prove.

All I know is everytime the Chiefs face a team with a supposedly great defense, Mahomes shreds them to pieces.
    Jacksonville was supposed to have a top notch defensive back(the one who wants traded) and him and his cohorts
    were supposed to shut down Mahomes. I watched the game and don't even know what that guys number was, he
    was such a non factor.
    The experts on the sports talk shows said Mahomes would regress and his numbers would drop, so far he leads
    the world in all the QB stats and he doesn't even have his best receiver playing. If Hill is back for the NE game
    and all the other receivers are healthy, I don't care how good you or Galaxy thinks the NE defense is, Mahomes
    will put up at least 45 points. Don't get too proud of that defense yet, until its been battle tested like you say.
    Good luck to the Pats this year, I know its not their fault they haven't played anybody, I'll just wait until they
    do to see if their defense is really as good as you guys are saying.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    edited September 23, 2019 7:04PM

@Darin said:

Why does only the first half count?

wonder what the winning percentage is for Tom Brady when the opposing team has a goose egg heading in the 2nd half?

listen, i know you're an ardent Chiefs fan. i fully understand your enthusiasm. your team is undefeated, looking very good, and your mahomie (whom i happen to like also) is balling out. but there is a very important aspect of football called the defense. there's a nasty rumor that it wins championships, even in this arcade-game era. and as it stands, NE > KC when it comes to preventing the opposing team from scoring more points. until that changes, there will be more of the same when it comes Super Bowl time.

@galaxy27 said:

@Darin said:

wonder what the winning percentage is for Tom Brady when the opposing team has a goose egg heading in the 2nd half?

listen, i know you're an ardent Chiefs fan. i fully understand your enthusiasm. your team is undefeated, looking very good, and your mahomie (whom i happen to like also) is balling out. but there is a very important aspect of football called the defense. there's a nasty rumor that it wins championships, even in this arcade-game era. and as it stands, NE > KC when it comes to preventing the opposing team from scoring more points. until that changes, there will be more of the same when it comes Super Bowl time.

The other thing that wins championships! Andy Reid standing on the other sideline :D

@bronco2078 said:

@galaxy27 said:

@Darin said:

The other thing that wins championships! Andy Reid standing on the other sideline :D

Poor Andy can't think and stand up at the same time. :oB)

I'm excited for these Patriots Chiefs matchups. And I actually feel lucky, as a football fan, that the Pats have built this defense as they attempt to maintain dominance and go against a seemingly unstoppable offense. Exciting football ahead.

@thisistheshow said:
    I'm excited for these Patriots Chiefs matchups. And I actually feel lucky, as a football fan, that the Pats have built this defense as they attempt to maintain dominance and go against a seemingly unstoppable offense. Exciting football ahead.

Oh I definitely feel lucky to be a Pats fan! I remember the Hodgson McPhereson days lol

Can’t believe I’m saying this but big game today against the Bills! GO PATS!!!

We might need to start going for 2

Yea Gostkowski needs to be cut. It’s going to cost us a game eventually, like a playoff game potentially

This game is annoying me right now