Home Sports Talk
Options

New England Patriots 2019 discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a great start to the season. Their wideouts looked great and that was without Thomas,Brown & Harry. I just hope Cannon's injury isn't major/longterm.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody that doesn't think Brady is the GOAT...…...has not been paying attention!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The big question is, why is Brady still out there on a 30 to 3 game? Why risk it? It's a thing about the Brady - Belichick relationship I will never understand.

I been saying this for years. It’s absolutely ridiculous and one of my biggest problems with Belichick

• Options

The Pats played better than I thought. Especially since they were missing players like D Thomas and AB 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are the Patriots that good or are the Steelers that bad? They couldn’t cover, rush the passer or stop the run. The Steelers May have peace in the locker room but without AB or LB they don’t have talent in the huddle. Tomlin is terrible. The game has passed him by.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2019 6:03AM

@2dueces said:
    Are the Patriots that good or are the Steelers that bad? They couldn’t cover, rush the passer or stop the run. The Steelers May have peace in the locker room but without AB or LB they don’t have talent in the huddle. Tomlin is terrible. The game has passed him by.

I think that the Steelers are better than they played but the Patriots are just that much better. Also you know they dread coming into Foxboro, they were probably nervous as it was and they got embarrassed. Tomlin is awful and aside from JuJu they have no other playmakers on Offense and they keep playing Zone packages and blitzing against Brady and he carves them up surgically

• Options

GO PATS!!!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patriots come into Buffalo week 4 with both teams 3-0 and the AFC East lead on the line.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Patriots come into Buffalo week 4 with both teams 3-0 and the AFC East lead on the line.

Sounds good but let them play the games first 🍻

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sure BB will let them know how awful they looked against the Steelers. New C will be making 1000 shotgun snaps until he gets it right; Michel will be finding holes between tackles until he can break off a few 10+ yard runs in a row; etc. It's on to Miami

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big Ben can still throw , he had balls placed correctly that were not caught

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2019 3:04PM

last night i posted that another championship could very easily be a foregone conclusion after the AB acquisition, but i am changing my tune today. another title is definitely in play after what i saw last night, but i can't imagine it happening with AB still on the team. i just have a very difficult time envisioning the intended outcome when the most disciplined organization in the NFL adds the most undisciplined player on the planet.

AB thrives on being needed and all of the attention that comes with it. well, for the first time in his career, he is going to a team that clearly does NOT need him. he has averaged 171 targets and 114 catches over the past 6 seasons. you guys saw all of the weapons last night -- he will not come within a country mile of those numbers in New England. what do you think is going to happen when AB has a game with 1 catch on 3 targets? i think i know.

i truly think this dude is a lost cause, and i will be somewhat surprised if he is still on the Pats roster come playoffs time. his addiction to social media and all of the attention derived from it is clearly bigger than he is. one would think he would be thanking his lucky stars and prepared to tweak his style after he got out of the black hole in Oakland, where he was no doubt going to fade into oblivion. but one of the very first things he posted on instagram was this:

photo 20190909_161353_zpsmnm028qf.jpg

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2019 3:18PM

The next game is Miami in Miami. It is always a tough game for the Pats. Does everyone remember last year’s “miracle finish?” :s

Miami looked terrible yesterday. Their defense was non-existent, and that bearded quarterback is not going to take them to the promised land. He played for Tampa last year, and he very interception prone.

Still, it’s in Miami...

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    The next game is Miami in Miami. It is always a tough game for the Pats. Does everyone remember last year’s “miracle finish?” :s

I do. It was a brilliant coaching decision to put Gronk as the last line of defense 🙄🤬

• Options

he is the pats kyrie irving , we got one year out of kyrie . The AB blowout is scheduled for next season

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    he is the pats kyrie irving , we got one year out of kyrie . The AB blowout is scheduled for next season

If he acts up in NE then it’s a 100% due to mental illness. I’m not joking either

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Chiefs can beat the Patriots whether they have Antonio Brown or not.
    He's a non factor. Something that is a factor is a completely healthy Sammy Watkins,
    which the Chiefs had for the first time in a long time Sunday.

Believe it or not, Mahomes is better than he was last year.
    He was one completed pass away from a perfect game.
    Tried a no look pass to a wide open Kelce breaking for the end zone, it was fine that
    he looked him off, but when he threw it he was wide open and there was no reason
    not to look. LOL. The kid still tries to be a little fancy when there's no reason to be.
    That would have been 4 TD's and 400 yards.

Probably would have thrown for 500 if not for the sprained ankle.
    Had 211 yards after the first quarter, 313 at halftime but just lost a
    lot of mobility after the injury.

• Options

@Darin said:
    He's a non factor. Something that is a factor is a completely healthy Sammy Watkins,

Tried a no look pass to a wide open Kelce breaking for the end zone, it was fine that
    he looked him off, but when he threw it he was wide open and there was no reason
    not to look. LOL. The kid still tries to be a little fancy when there's no reason to be.

ya but your team is now down one whack job due to injury. I think you could have used the kinder gentler whack job we just picked up.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Chiefs do well in the early part of the season and then fade. This is an Andy Reid phenomenon. As a Eagles’ fan, I know about what I speak.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The Chiefs do well in the early part of the season and then fade. This is an Andy Reid phenomenon. As a Eagles’ fan, I know about what I speak.

Andy has a short circuit in his head that can act up at any time. B)

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

This upcoming game in Miami should be illegal.

Sort of like feeding folks to the lions in the Roman Colosseum was made illegal.

• Options

@Darin said:

Ofcourse they can beat the Patriots. The bottom line is they Didn’t last year when it counts. This Patriots team IS far better than last years, especially on the Defensive side. No other coaching staff can rotate different packages with different players in and out and be as effective as they are. Did you watch the Patriots game? There would be groups of players running in and out for different schemes all night, they are DEEP. The Chiefs are awesome but don’t sleep on how much better the Pats are this year.

• Options

@Darin let me emphasize that this is week 1. Anything can happen and yesterday’s games could possibly mean nothing down the road we don’t know. If the Chiefs and Pats face each other again in the playoffs I’m sure it will be a great game, possibly with the team that gets the ball last. Who knows

• Options

<<< No other coaching staff can rotate different packages with different players in and out and be as effective as they are. >>>

Mark this date in football history, September 9th 2019, when Perkdog after refusing for many years, finally gave the Patriots coaching staff some credit, although he still is yet to mention the name Bill Belichick in that mix.

;)

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@Darin said:

ya but your team is now down one whack job due to injury. I think you could have used the kinder gentler whack job we just picked up.

Your whack job is too old and slow to be a factor anymore.
    By the way your bronco user name is kind of misleading.
    It would be a lot easier for me to diss the Broncos than the Patriots.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    @Darin let me emphasize that this is week 1. Anything can happen and yesterday’s games could possibly mean nothing down the road we don’t know. If the Chiefs and Pats face each other again in the playoffs I’m sure it will be a great game, possibly with the team that gets the ball last. Who knows

I think we play week 14, or thereabouts.

Chiefs 38 Patriots 17.

• Options

@Darin said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Darin said:

Your whack job is too old and slow to be a factor anymore.
    By the way your bronco user name is kind of misleading.
    It would be a lot easier for me to diss the Broncos than the Patriots.

At one time I owned 20 1978 broncos , I use or used some variation of it on various forums dating back to the dial up modem days its easy to remember even though 19 of the broncos are gone now :|

• Options

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

Chiefs 38 Patriots 17.

Ok so I have another Avatar bet? Is this what your saying??

• Options

@stevek said:
    <<< No other coaching staff can rotate different packages with different players in and out and be as effective as they are. >>>

Mark this date in football history, September 9th 2019, when Perkdog after refusing for many years, finally gave the Patriots coaching staff some credit, although he still is yet to mention the name Bill Belichick in that mix.

;)

To be fair I was talking about on Defense 😎

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

Chiefs 38 Patriots 17.

After that smack prediction of Chiefs 38 Patriots 17, there is no other choice - an Avatar bet is a requirement.

At least it should be. ;)

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

Chiefs 38 Patriots 17.

Sure. Can we make the bet on the condition that Brady and Mahomes are both playing
    and not injured watching from the sidelines?

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Patriots defense looks like a continuation of the latter part of last year. I think this is the key. The secondary is incredible.

They will need to put in an excellent game plan to go up against Mahomes, and I predict they will.

This year should be fun. Belichick looks like he is trying to take things to the next level with this high risk/high reward AB move.

• Options

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

Chiefs 38 Patriots 17.

Sure. Can we make the bet on the condition that Brady and Mahomes are both playing

Shake on it and you got yourself a bet. Same deal as Me and Steve. The loser wears the opposing teams Logo until the following Sunday. 🤝

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

Chiefs 38 Patriots 17.

After that smack prediction of Chiefs 38 Patriots 17, there is no other choice - an Avatar bet is a requirement.

Drawing a line in the dirt with his toe and daring me to step across it type situation! 🤷‍♂️

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

Chiefs 38 Patriots 17.

Shake on it and you got yourself a bet. Same deal as Me and Steve. The loser wears the opposing teams Logo until the following Sunday. 🤝

Its a bet!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

Chiefs 38 Patriots 17.

Drawing a line in the dirt with his toe and daring me to step across it type situation! 🤷‍♂️

That's right.

Our avatar bets are a modern day internet version of Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr. 🔫

B)

• Options

I just feel sorry for Perkdog that he's not only going to suffer losing his avatar for a week after the Eagles kick some Patriots arze, but now it's going to be two weeks after the Chiefs put a hurtin' on them.

Actually...i don't feel sorry at all. ;)

• Options

@stevek said:
    I just feel sorry for Perkdog that he's not only going to suffer losing his avatar for a week after the Eagles kick some Patriots arze, but now it's going to be two weeks after the Chiefs put a hurtin' on them.

Actually...i don't feel sorry at all. ;)

Let the better team win on both occasions 🍻

• Options

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

Chiefs 38 Patriots 17.

Its a bet!

🍻👍

• Options
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2019 9:14AM

Julian will just have to work harder to keep Tom from straying 😂

• Options

D Thomas to the Jets for a 6th

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    D Thomas to the Jets for a 6th

They just didn’t like him apparently 🤷‍♂️

• Options

I guess there is no room, but also they probably need O line depth. As far as I know, this is Bill's first time trading with the Jets.

• Options

Wow i'm surprised they kept Gunner & Meyers over Thomas if the team thought there was too much depth at WR. It must be either his money (5Mish) or coming back from both a hamstring & achilles injuries. Even with Brown going cuckoo lately I'd rather see him here than Thomas.

• Options

You know you have a deep team when you trade guys like this.

• Options

Thomas has a great last preseason game but at 31 there might have been some concern with his injury. I don’t know, we can discuss this a million different ways and still not know what Big Bill is thinking.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Wow i'm surprised they kept Gunner & Meyers over Thomas if the team thought there was too much depth at WR. It must be either his money (5Mish) or coming back from both a hamstring & achilles injuries. Even with Brown going cuckoo lately I'd rather see him here than Thomas.

Just wait until he rapes someone , oops spoke too soon

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

Something is definitely fishy with this story. It supposedly happened twice then she goes to work for the guy and it happens a third time. Not saying Brown isn't at fault in all this but just the fact that he supposedly assaulted her twice then she decides to work for the guy is a huge redflag in my opinion. If this turns out to be tru then throw the book at him but imho this looks like a straight up money grab lawsuit knowing Brown will probably just pay to make it go away.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

Something is definitely fishy with this story. It supposedly happened twice then she goes to work for the guy and it happens a third time. Not saying Brown isn't at fault in all this but just the fact that he supposedly assaulted her twice then she decides to work for the guy is a huge redflag in my opinion. If this turns out to be tru then throw the book at him but imho this looks like a straight up money grab lawsuit knowing Brown will probably just pay to make it go away.

the steelers are a rape culture team , thank god our pats stick to your run of the mill multiple murders :D