Home Sports Talk
Options

New England Patriots 2019 discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Great win, hoping the Rams beat the Ravens tomorrow night!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

First - Congrats to all the Pat's fans. It was a hard fought game. My biggest complaint besides the bogus tripping calls, which both negated a 1st down and killed a drive is the fact that we have the absolute WORST HC in the NFL! Taking the FG instead of going for it was stupid. You still need a TD to win....might as well go for it there!
    There is no moral victory here, but the fact that we played the best team in the NFL at their house and were in it to the end is encouraging. But in my head I realize that we will never be a force and make it to the big game with Garrett as HC!!!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Jon! 🍻

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you Patriots.

Yes, the Eagles stink right now but at least that Cowboys loss still gives the Eagles a glimmer of hope of making the playoffs.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Thank you Patriots.

Yes, the Eagles stink right now but at least that Cowboys loss still gives the Eagles a glimmer of hope of making the playoffs.

Your loss today was to a very good Seahawks team.

• Options

Hey if Trent Dilfer can win a Super Bowl with a solid Defensive unit so can Brady this year!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Hey if Trent Dilfer can win a Super Bowl with a solid Defensive unit so can Brady this year!

I feel like Brady looked really good yesterday. Great pocket movement. On target throws. Good decisions. Only potential pick came from a popped up ball. Maybe he should take Friday's off moving forward?

• Options

I feel like Brady looked really good yesterday. Great pocket movement. On target throws. Good decisions. Only potential pick came from a popped up ball. Maybe he should take Friday's off moving forward?

I agree, he still has a strong arm and is accurate. Remember watching the first few games when he had a loaded WR crew. I expect another SB appearance, they will be real tough to beat in January, especially if it’s in Foxboro. Go Rams tonight!

• Options

Flu bug has hit the team. Pass along updates as they come in

• Options

Hopefully they will vitamin C up!

• Options

Big game today against Houston, hopefully they are ready. GO PATS!!!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Playing Houston at home will be a challenge. With Buffalo surging, the division title is not certain. For that reason, the game is important.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    Playing Houston at home will be a challenge. With Buffalo surging, the division title is not certain. For that reason, the game is important.

The scales are tipping for sure. We definitely need the win today

• Options

@perkdog said:

@BillJones said:

Oh.......to have your problems! Wanna trade Head Coaches??!! :oB)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@BillJones said:

Oh.......to have your problems! Wanna trade Head Coaches??!! :oB)

No, I have lived through Rod Rust, Rich Kortie, and Joe Koeheric. All of those guys were poorer coaches than Garrett. You are only upset with mediocre. Wait until you have a coach who goes 1 and 15, and can’t get a play started in week 15 without an illegal procedure penalty.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I just saw a list of the Patriots players who are on the injury and flu list. This might be a tough game to win. It looks like the Pats were target of some germ warfare.

Didn’t any of these guys get flu shots?

• Options

@BillJones said:
    I just saw a list of the Patriots players who are on the injury and flu list. This might be a tough game to win. It looks like the Pats were target of some germ warfare.

Even if you get the flu shot you can still get somewhat sick just not as harsh.

• Options

@BillJones said:

I think foul play was involved.

• Options

GO PATS!!!!!

• Options
    edited December 1, 2019 7:41PM

I am afraid that this is going to be a long night for the Patriots. Brady and the receivers are not in sync, and the defensive is breaking down. If the Patriots face Baltimore at home in the play-offs, they will lose.

• Options

We are watching the end of the Reign of the New England Patriots. Plain and simple

• Options

The main factor that will end the Patriot dynasty will be retirement of Bill Belichick. He will find a Brady replacement and rebuild the offense, if he has enough years left to do it in his career.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

can't believe i'm about to say this, but New England desperately needs AB

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

Yep, Kraft disagrees though. 🤷‍♂️

• Options

The way to defeat New England is easy. You double team Edelman; the rest of the receivers are like cigar store Indians, excuse me ... Native Americans. The Patriots have three points. That will be their offense output for the evening.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

Yep, Kraft disagrees though. 🤷‍♂️

AB was right to call out Kraft , Kraft is a fraud and couldn't handle it B)

• Options

Defense is showing a few holes, LB’s are slow trying to cover RB’s in pass coverage. Hopefully they can improve on this. Offense is definitely struggling 😩

• Options

They are in trouble

• Options

Yes, the Pats are now only a game ahead of Buffalo, and the Bills are surging. It’s too late make any serious roster moves, and whole team is now in a funk. It will be interesting to see if Belichick can get them up for the Buffalo game at Gillette Stadium. The playoffs might come down to that.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Yes, the Pats are now only a game ahead of Buffalo, and the Bills are surging. It’s too late make any serious roster moves, and whole team is now in a funk. It will be interesting to see if Belichick can get them up for the Buffalo game at Gillette Stadium. The playoffs might come down to that.

Well Him and Kraft are both to blame for the offensive woes. They deserve what they get by basically hanging Brady out to dry at 42. I doubt Brady will play for them next Season

• Options

isn't it funny how once they couldn't win the offense loosened up a bit, sure it was helped by laziness on the part of Houston

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think the loss of Gronk, who made a zillion high catches and was a beast-like player has certainly had an impact on the overall team performance.

If I were Brady and had what he has, I'd be long gone to some isolated 500++ acre happy place, like maybe Idaho. At his age, how many whacks can he take? Having just returned from a cruise in the Caribbean, I was kinda whipped and couldn't make it much past the 1st quarter...I did see the Brady pick, which turns out to be the difference in the final score.

Terrific Tom is starting to lose a step, or two. Hope for the best now, but Baltimore seems to be on an uber-roll. KC next week, I wonder if the Pats are up to the challenge???

• Options

@perkdog said:
    We are watching the end of the Reign of the New England Patriots. Plain and simple

If Brady is honest with himself, i think he knows that as well.

In any event, we all know that at least for this season, Brady will try to use every last ounce of football that he has in him. Then after this season he will decide what to do.

• Options

Things might have been different if the Patriots could have kept Michael Brown. He is a talented receiver who would have taken some pressure off of Amendola. Dorset also showed some promise, but he’s on the concussion protocol, which means he might be out indefinitely.

Last year the Patriots peaked at the end of season after a fairly slow start. This year, they were strong at the start, but in a funk now. They will probably lose the Kansas City game, which will put more emphasis on beating Buffalo at Gillette Stadium. They will probably get in the playoffs with 11 or 12 wins, but they won’t last long in the post-season.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

You think Brady would actually leave the Patriots? I just couldn't imagine him playing on another team.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    You think Brady would actually leave the Patriots? I just couldn't imagine him playing on another team.

Me neither!

• Options

There is no physical issue with Brady. Not age related , he can make incredible accurate throws , he does it every game. He might not be seeing the field as well as he did and he is old man grumpy all the time in a very noticeable way

• Options

wonder how long Harry is going to stay in solitary confinement

Bill may trade him for a can of Copenhagen

• Options

@doubledragon said:

If I’m Brady and I still want to play I’m leaving NE and smiling at Kraft and Belichick on my way out the door. They are the reason the Pats offense is bogged down to nothing. Think about the start of the season, they had AB, Gordon and D Thomas. Three WR’s that were all good to the best in the league. Kraft decides to get rid of AB due to his fake moral character card ( FRAUD ), D Thomas has an awesome 2 TD game in preseason game 4 then promptly gets cut for his efforts, Gordon gets hurt and gets put on the IR with an immediate plan to release him as soon as he heals up. SO that leaves them with a rookie WR Harry, a second year unproven WR with Meyers and Edelman who plays his heart out and takes a beating every game. They hung Brady out to dry this year and yea he is pissed off about it and rightfully so. I hope he gives NE a big middle finger out the door. I’m Pro Brady here, he is just being set up for failure at 42 years old. It’s a joke and I blame both Kraft and Belichick

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    wonder how long Harry is going to stay in solitary confinement

Bill may trade him for a can of Copenhagen

First round pick, he will probably just cut him. He is famous for just cutting players

• Options

They will lose to KC and Buffalo mark my words

• Options

what happened to Eric? hate to see the best posters leaving town

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    what happened to Eric? hate to see the best posters leaving town

Haven’t seen him around, hopefully he brings some support to this embattled Patriots thread 😫

• Options

I missed you guys, couldn't log in for a bit and just saw I had 34 notifications. Assuming they are all from this thread. I have not yet read through any of the comments, so let me give my opinion before I read all the hot takes ( I know a few of you are saying Brady's done! :D ).

The last few Patriots games have left me convinced that TB has not fallen off the cliff, in fact he has looked even better than he did earlier than year. Great passes, velocity, touch, everything. Pocket movement has been classic Brady. Obviously our receiving corps leaves something to be desired, but I have faith in the offense and I see we can move the ball sometimes. Since Wynn came back the running game has looked better. I wouldn't put it past BB to bring in a surprise receiver to help (not AB).

The kicking game is a work in progress. Saw someone on Reddit compare being the Patriot's kicker to being the drummer for Spinal Tap. :D Other than that, special teams is on point. I would like to see Bolden returning kicks, not Sanu, because I don't want Sanu getting hurt and you need to try to run some out.

Defense is solid. No question.

Here is an interesting take I saw also on Reddit. The overwhelming response was to dismiss it, but it kind of made sense. Someone asked if it is possible that our shut down defensive backs, in practice, are so good that our inexperienced receivers are never getting separation, thus causing a host of issues- such as they are not developing confidence, and Brady is not seeing them positively, etc. Teams always talk about how going against their great offense and defense in practice has an impact. Could this be the case?

AT the end of the day, we are 10-2 and we have won the SB without home field before. The Patriots reward their loyal fans.

Alright, I'll hang up and listen... :)

• Options
    edited December 2, 2019 6:10PM

@perkdog said:

I still feel like this will be a good year. I have had a gut feeling for awhile now that if we win the SB Brady is retiring, but that if we don't and Brady still feels good and has something to prove he will be back. Brady is looking spry and fresh, and I know he doesn't want to go out disrespected.

Edit to add...where's that Disagree button?? :o

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

If I’m Brady and I still want to play I’m leaving NE and smiling at Kraft and Belichick on my way out the door. They are the reason the Pats offense is bogged down to nothing. Think about the start of the season, they had AB, Gordon and D Thomas. Three WR’s that were all good to the best in the league. Kraft decides to get rid of AB due to his fake moral character card ( FRAUD ), D Thomas has an awesome 2 TD game in preseason game 4 then promptly gets cut for his efforts, Gordon gets hurt and gets put on the IR with an immediate plan to release him as soon as he heals up. SO that leaves them with a rookie WR Harry, a second year unproven WR with Meyers and Edelman who plays his heart out and takes a beating every game. They hung Brady out to dry this year and yea he is pissed off about it and rightfully so. I hope he gives NE a big middle finger out the door. I’m Pro Brady here, he is just being set up for failure at 42 years old. It’s a joke and I blame both Kraft and Belichick

I do not see Tom playing for anyone else. And I do not see him going out on a low note. If the offense does not become respectable by the end of their year, whenever that is, he will be back looking for redemption.

• Options

Funny story....

I am a sports radio junkie. Local, national whatever. When I was in my early 20s I used to call in a lot. Been over 20 years since I did that.

I decided to call Farrell on the bench, Scott Farrell, to talk Patriots. I got started, told him that after 28-3 it's all gravy, and he said something like "well then there's nothing to talk about" and he hung up. :D

I'll try him again another time and earn my redemption.. :)

• Options

Tom Brady expected to announce his immediate retirement at a press conference today.

;)

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I missed you guys, couldn't log in for a bit and just saw I had 34 notifications. Assuming they are all from this thread. I have not yet read through any of the comments, so let me give my opinion before I read all the hot takes ( I know a few of you are saying Brady's done! :D ).

The last few Patriots games have left me convinced that TB has not fallen off the cliff, in fact he has looked even better than he did earlier than year. Great passes, velocity, touch, everything. Pocket movement has been classic Brady. Obviously our receiving corps leaves something to be desired, but I have faith in the offense and I see we can move the ball sometimes. Since Wynn came back the running game has looked better. I wouldn't put it past BB to bring in a surprise receiver to help (not AB).

The kicking game is a work in progress. Saw someone on Reddit compare being the Patriot's kicker to being the drummer for Spinal Tap. :D Other than that, special teams is on point. I would like to see Bolden returning kicks, not Sanu, because I don't want Sanu getting hurt and you need to try to run some out.

Defense is solid. No question.

Here is an interesting take I saw also on Reddit. The overwhelming response was to dismiss it, but it kind of made sense. Someone asked if it is possible that our shut down defensive backs, in practice, are so good that our inexperienced receivers are never getting separation, thus causing a host of issues- such as they are not developing confidence, and Brady is not seeing them positively, etc. Teams always talk about how going against their great offense and defense in practice has an impact. Could this be the case?

AT the end of the day, we are 10-2 and we have won the SB without home field before. The Patriots reward their loyal fans.

Alright, I'll hang up and listen... :)

In regards to your point about it being possible that the WR’s are struggling since they are against our DB’s in practice I would think this would make them better against lesser talented DB’s in game action? Just a thought on that. I been harsh on them especially Belichick and Kraft but your right they are 10-2. Hopefully they can right the ship. I will say I don’t think it’s helping matters when Brady is getting upset and crying during games. There, a knock on Brady from his biggest fan 😱