Home Sports Talk
Options

New England Patriots 2019 discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Pats org has really let Brady down, imho. yes, he's arguably the best of all time. (unless you snort crack cocaine and think Ken Anderson is.) but the fact remains that he's at an age when 98% of quarterbacks are regularly scheduling tee times. so if you're going to keep him around, you a) have to anticipate an inevitable erosion of his skill set, and furthermore b) start surrounding him with an upgrade in talent, because (back to a) there's going to be an inevitable erosion of his skill set and he's going to need it.

outside of Julian Edelman, there's no one to throw the ball to who can create separation on a consistent basis. seriously, it's Edelman then................who? you look at the guys who caught passes from him today and one could argue that Brady has one of the most anemic receiving corps in all of the NFL. and on top of that, he has no running game to speak of. so you're basically asking a 42-yr-old quarterback to perform weekly feats that rank slightly beneath that of walking on water.

Pat Mahomes doesn't have a running game, either, but his arsenal is loaded: an all-world TE and at least 3 guys who can blaze. their situations could not be more different.

i have a hunch TB is so incredibly pissed at this juncture. and i'd be willing to bet that if he does play next year, he is getting the hell out of dodge.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    That game showed me all I needed to see. We are still formidable. Another receiver would be nice.

LETS GO!!!

If Michael Brown had been allowed to play, it would have made an important difference. It would have taken some of the pressure away from Eldelman which would have improved the running game. Dorset, who is on indefinite concussion protocol, also would have made a difference.

Still the time to retire has come for Brady. I don’t know that he will be offered a new contract. If not, he should not waste his body and reputation on a season with another team, like the New York Jets, the way Bret Farve did. An old, over the hill quarterback is not going to revive a third rate program.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@thisistheshow said:
    That game showed me all I needed to see. We are still formidable. Another receiver would be nice.

LETS GO!!!

Another lesson to be learned is don’t fall behind early.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Congrats to Chiefs fans and Darin

perkdog, tough loss for the Pats, they did get ripped off by bad officiating even I will admit that.
    You don't have to stick with the Chiefs logo for a week if you don't want to, no problem's with me
    if you switch back to the Pats logo.
    With my new avatar, it is because the Chiefs didn't score at least 40 points, which we also bet on.
    I don't know how to reduce it so it shows Brady's rings, so if you know how let me know or I can
    go to a pats logo.

Regarding the game, of course I was hoping that after a really good first half from the Chiefs, that
    they could blow out N.E. in the second half. But of course not. :'( Brady and the Pats are too tough
    to let that happen.
    Remember, they are still the Champs until someone knocks them off, and they still have a chance
    of repeating as SB winners because they are so good at making adjustments to what the other
    team is trying to do.

• Options
    edited December 8, 2019 7:47PM

I had go to dinner and did not see the end. All I will say is that the Pats need to have a good start against Buffalo and take care of business with Miami at Gillette Stadium.

Given the number of flags this officiating group picked up, they looked very squirrelly in the first half.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I had go to dinner and did not see the end. All I will say is that the Pats need to have a good start against Buffalo and take care of business with Miami at Gillette Stadium.

Given the number of flags this officiating group picked up, they looked very squirrelly in the first half.

you have been reporting Dorsetts death for three weeks now :D , he played today , I think he is alive

• Options

Really? I don’t recall hearing his name mentioned in the first half which was all of the game that I saw.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

We all knew that one day Tom Brady would get old and no longer be an effective quarterback, and that Bill Belichick would get old and no longer be able to outsmart the other coaches. But I never thought i'd see the day when Perkdog would switch from being a Patriots fan to a Chiefs fan as noted by the change of his avatar.

• Options

Darin also changed his avatar, despite his team winning?

There's some weird chit going on here. 🤔

• Options

worst officiating ive seen in a pats game.

there were one or two calls where they penalized the wrong number of yards :D

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Seriously Paul??? We got screwed by the inept ref who called an out of bounds BS when in fact it was a touchdown.
    Changing your avatar is over the line for the opponenet. We got robbed!!!

• Options

The next game is at Cincinnati, which has a 1 and 12 record. Losing to them would really show that the tank is empty.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was the Out of bounds call a challengable call

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pocketpiececommems said:
    Was the Out of bounds call a challengable call

I think so, but they were out of challenges. I don't think there should be a limit or at least change the limit. Most of the time a bad call doesn't cost you the game, but this call did absolutely cost them the game. That would have tied the score and then on that last drive they kick the FG and win by 3. Period....plain and simple.

But they are 10-3 and can still make their run for the SB. It's not like they are out of it.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

perkdog, tough loss for the Pats, they did get ripped off by bad officiating even I will admit that.
    You don't have to stick with the Chiefs logo for a week if you don't want to, no problem's with me
    With my new avatar, it is because the Chiefs didn't score at least 40 points, which we also bet on.
    I don't know how to reduce it so it shows Brady's rings, so if you know how let me know or I can
    go to a pats logo.

Regarding the game, of course I was hoping that after a really good first half from the Chiefs, that
    they could blow out N.E. in the second half. But of course not. :'( Brady and the Pats are too tough
    to let that happen.
    Remember, they are still the Champs until someone knocks them off, and they still have a chance
    of repeating as SB winners because they are so good at making adjustments to what the other
    team is trying to do.

Thank you for the offer but not a chance I’m changing it until the weeks over. A bets a bet! The call was just flat out stupid but it happens in the Pats favor sometimes so what can ya do? BTW I had ZERO cell reception last night and I literally had to go out to my car to get service to change my logo, i didn’t want anyone to think I was being a crybaby about it all. I couldn’t post during the game. Again congrats, you won but at least I don’t have to suffer with a sig line loss either, the D held them to 23 instead of 40 so I can at least be thankful for that! Thanks again for the offer but it’s a Chiefs logo for the week 🍻

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

Seriously Paul??? We got screwed by the inept ref who called an out of bounds BS when in fact it was a touchdown.

AL, like you I’m old school. A beta a bet bud.

• Options

There are many good members on this forum who have lots of credibility.

Perkdog is certainly one of them, at the top of the list.

That being said, i hope he suffers immeasurably from that avatar change, same as i did a while back when his team beat mine. ;)B)

• Options

Thanks Steve! Your a very honerable fella yourself 🍻

• Options

I do feel really dirty with this avatar I might add 😒

• Options

@perkdog said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

Paul...I had no idea there was a bet. My apologies. Like Steve, you stepped up and did the right thing.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

go to a pats logo.

to let that happen.
    team is trying to do.

Thank you for the offer but not a chance I’m changing it until the weeks over. A bets a bet! The call was just flat out stupid but it happens in the Pats favor sometimes so what can ya do? BTW I had ZERO cell reception last night and I literally had to go out to my car to get service to change my logo, i didn’t want anyone to think I was being a crybaby about it all. I couldn’t post during the game. Again congrats, you won but at least I don’t have to suffer with a sig line loss either, the D held them to 23 instead of 40 so I can at least be thankful for that! Thanks again for the offer but it’s a Chiefs logo for the week 🍻

perk, you're the best!
    I just wish KC would have won without controversial calls'. The ref clearly couldn't have seen the player's foot
    go out of bounds, so it was stupid that he called him out of bounds. He should have called it a TD then all scoring
    plays get reviewed and it would have held up.
    Also when Kelce fumbled, which was an idiot play by him because he caught the ball and then
    started running the wrong way, they blew the whistle when they shouldn't have because you guy's would have
    scored on that play. You really did get ripped off big time.
    Very commendable by you to stick to the bet. I don't like to see bad call's like that even if it's a Chiefs' opponent.
    FWIW- I'll be rooting for the Pats to win their division now, but I hope the Chiefs don't have to play them
    again in the playoffs. :)

• Options

Okay I put the Brady pic in my sig line since the avatar pic didn't show the rings.
    And it looks really annoying so this week better pass by quickly. :#

• Options

Haha Darin, as much as it hurts having the Chiefs logo the Brady side bet victory takes a little off the bite of the loss! We very well could meet up again in the Playoffs so to be continued my friend 🍻

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

Paul...I had no idea there was a bet. My apologies. Like Steve, you stepped up and did the right thing.

All good AL!! 🍻

• Options

Looking back on the game, my thoughts remain the same. They are in desperate need of WR help, it was good to see Lacosse catch some balls but Myers and Harry are not dependable. Calling AB.. calling Dez Bryant even!

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Thanks Steve! Your a very honerable fella yourself 🍻

Except when i'm in a poker game with the boys. I'll lie my arze off about my hole cards . LOL

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I do feel really dirty with this avatar I might add 😒

I try to warn everybody about avatar bets. They aren't just harmless fun.

It's brutal if ya lose. They are humiliating and degrading.

Sort of like the Scarlet Letter. Didn't they used to do that in Boston? ;)

• Options

@Darin said:
    Okay I put the Brady pic in my sig line since the avatar pic didn't show the rings.
    And it looks really annoying so this week better pass by quickly. :#

I think the sigline bet is even more brutal than the avatar bet because it's more noticeable.

If we really wanna go all out, hard core, no holds barred...next time both could be involved.

Although I'm not sure i could handle losing that bet. i might need very expensive psychiatric help throughout the week to deal with it. :|

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2019 12:42PM

What do you guys think about this taping story?

Edit to add: I just saw there is a thread on this............

• Options

A sort of do or die day for the Patriots. Earlier in the season they would have racked up 30+ points and ripped up a 1-13 team. Now, who knows? They need to get off to a good start and avoid this come from behind stuff.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    A sort of do or die day for the Patriots. Earlier in the season they would have racked up 30+ points and ripped up a 1-13 team. Now, who knows? They need to get off to a good start and avoid this come from behind stuff.

Brady's scramble last week got the ball rolling. This week the pace quickens.

• Options

GO PATS!!!

• Options

perkdog- go ahead and change your avatar back, then you won't be distracted by having
    to change it right at kickoff time.
    Good luck to everyone on Football Sunday, except if you're a Denver Broncos fan. :D

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    What do you guys think about this taping story?

Edit to add: I just saw there is a thread on this............

Jay Glazer just showed it, definitely showed them recording the sideline. Not sure who was responsible, but hearing significant fines and possibly loss of draft picks. Agree with any disciplinary actions - it’s against the rules. After 1st quarter against the Bengals, this team will honestly be lucky to win a playoff game. Poor tackling, dropped passes, inaccurate throws, etc., will not work against good teams.

• Options

@Darin said:
    perkdog- go ahead and change your avatar back, then you won't be distracted by having
    to change it right at kickoff time.
    Good luck to everyone on Football Sunday, except if you're a Denver Broncos fan. :D

Thanks bud, funny thing is I’m at work and couldn’t do it until a few minutes ago. I was in the process of changing it and my girlfriend interrupted me asking where the trash bags were, I told her and hung up then tried to continue and Ofcourse she called me right back “We are out you need to pick some up before you come home” 🤬🤬🤬

• Options

Can’t even watch the game. They might not even win 🥺. Down 10-7? Really??? Either way GO PATS!!! And yes it’s good to have my Avatar back 😅👍👍

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Can’t even watch the game. They might not even win 🥺. Down 10-7? Really??? Either way GO PATS!!! And yes it’s good to have my Avatar back 😅👍👍

You can watch now 😂

• Options

Glad they took command of that game, the sky absolutely would have fallen had they lost. On to next week 👍👍

• Options

I still believe!

• Options

Buffalo vs. Pittsburgh at home ... a tough matchup for Buffalo. If they lose that one, they will have a tough time catching the Pats. Buffalo might be the team of the future, but I don’t think that this will be their year.

• Options

we are literally awful and it isn't really Brady.

The defense was obviously operating at the beginning as though they had the wrong list of scripted Bengals plays :D

Gilmour won the game basically

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Buffalo vs. Pittsburgh at home ... a tough matchup for Buffalo. If they lose that one, they will have a tough time catching the Pats. Buffalo might be the team of the future, but I don’t think that this will be their year.

I was wrong about that one ...

Now Saturday’s game in Foxborough reallywill mean something. The Bills are coming, and the Patriots are going. Maybe there will be enough “go” left in the Patriots to have one more playoff home game before the Brady - Belichick era ends.

• Options

talk radio here in boston was always bitching he looked slow . Maybe he tried to get a bit quicker with steroids to keep a job.

Once he left new england he couldn't get the super secret mostly undetectable TB 12 roids and it was only a matter of time before he got pinched

• Options

I am not in the Boston area, so I would like to ask: what is the general consensus from the fans towards the team regarding the most recent video incident?

I am active on Reddit both in the Patriots forum and the NFL forum. On NFL, I am running into supposed Patriots fans who are turning against the team. I am finding some despicable fans.

• Options

Everyone I talk to assumes they were once again cheating.

They lied in the media about it , using bullshit weasel words to describe the incident , a sure sign of guilt. :D

Like the independent contractor :D who has worked for the team for 18 years .

There was the line about 8 minutes of footage of the scout instead its 30+ minutes of the sideline.

I'm just waiting for Bill to blame Tom Brady again.

• Options
    edited December 18, 2019 8:00AM

I think they were cheating and got caught, the idiot that got noticed was wearing Bruins Gear so the guy deserved to get caught and should be embarrassed for being so stupid.

• Options

Once again some morons give the team yet another black eye. If the rule is not video taping of the opponent. you don't video the opponent.

The team has enough talent to win, like deflate-gate, when the balls were all brought to correct inflation, they went on to CRUSH the Colts in the second half.

Whoever did the filming must be fired, you are dumber than a bag of rocks.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Once again some morons give the team yet another black eye. If the rule is not video taping of the opponent. you don't video the opponent.

The team has enough talent to win, like deflate-gate, when the balls were all brought to correct inflation, they went on to CRUSH the Colts in the second half.

Whoever did the filming must be fired, you are dumber than a bag of rocks.

They are pretending that ernie doesn't look at the film :D

Bill should be suspended , the buck should stop there. He dodged that in deflategate by dumping the blame on Brady , he has dumped this the same way.

In deflategate they fired a few minions as though those guys thought it up, that was Bill not Tom.

Bill is a great coach but kind of a garbage person. Screwing around with married women , spying , cheating , and in ways that don't even matter. Its like he is diseased . Stealing sideline video of the worst team in the league ?

• Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

Bill is a great coach but kind of a garbage person. Screwing around with married women , spying , cheating , and in ways that don't even matter. Its like he is diseased . Stealing sideline video of the worst team in the league ?

You talking about Bill Clinton or some other Bill?

Love the 1885-CC Morgan