Home U.S. Coin Forum

W mint mark quarter - and the PCGS early find contest

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.

Having a known mintage and wide distribution assures some will escape into circulation. If they are mixed well enough I'd expect a few to wear down to XF before they all get found. How many are in BU will be determined by how evenly mixed they are. If there's no more than about four in every box (highly unlikely) BU's will be very tough.

Tempus fugit.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@DotStore said:
    The 2017 "P" Penny was cool for a little while. But there were too many of them (imho). Is 2 Million of each quarter too many?

Using the Mint’s 2018 Annual report 1,895 million (1,895,000,000) 25c circulated quarters were shipped.

So 10,000,000 of 1,895,000,000 is ~0.005% or 1/2 of 1% for all five W ATB quarters versus the total quarter mintage. Or, ~0.001%, 1/10 of 1% for each of the five ATB quarter.

And I suspect mintage for quarters for 2019 will go up, in part, because of the W release as many will start searching/hoarding quarters for awhile.

My 2 - 2019-W cents.

Good luck to all... back to CRH!

This is going to end up being quite a lot per bag if they are only releasing in those major cities. So, it will behoove someone at a bank or rolling agent to engage in shenanigans.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:

@Hemispherical said:

@DotStore said:
    The 2017 "P" Penny was cool for a little while. But there were too many of them (imho). Is 2 Million of each quarter too many?

Using the Mint’s 2018 Annual report 1,895 million (1,895,000,000) 25c circulated quarters were shipped.

So 10,000,000 of 1,895,000,000 is ~0.005% or 1/2 of 1% for all five W ATB quarters versus the total quarter mintage. Or, ~0.001%, 1/10 of 1% for each of the five ATB quarter.

And I suspect mintage for quarters for 2019 will go up, in part, because of the W release as many will start searching/hoarding quarters for awhile.

My 2 - 2019-W cents.

Good luck to all... back to CRH!

That is doable. Sort through $500 of new quarters and maybe pick up a couple Ws at face value. I would play the game if I had the option.

Actually, if they are only seeding them in a few bags, you are either going to sort through $5000 in quarters and find none if you are in, say, Binghamton NY. Or, you're going to pick up $100 in NYC and find 25 of them.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun!

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun, hit the nail on the head!

Reminds me of looking for bicentennial quarters in75/76,
    and SBA's in 79.
    I was a kid then, thrill of the hunt, fun.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    2 million of each design......... way too common to ever be rare. There are a similar number of pixels within the display of an iPhone 7s. Take a look with your loupe sometime. ;)

Said differently, there will be 50 of each W-mint quarter design for every double-die 1955 cent ever made, and these weren’t even noticed until already in circulation a while.

Agreed. Compare 2 million with the current sales of uncirculated 'S' quarters, I believe the 2018-S Ozark Riverways ended up at 906,840.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hunt is on. Now I know someone here on the boards will find one first....who will that be? And will it be submitted for grading? What do you think the highest grade will be since they are heading for coin tills everywhere. Four to six weeks and then it's "Open Season"!!!!!!!!!

• chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

Maine left out as usual.....maybe we should just peel off and join Canada...... a Canadian harbor in southern Maine would enhance the atlantic provinces

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chumley said:
    Maine left out as usual.....maybe we should just peel off and join Canada...... a Canadian harbor in southern Maine would enhance the atlantic provinces

Don't you get coin shipped from the Boston Fed?

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ernie11 said:

@BryceM said:
    2 million of each design......... way too common to ever be rare. There are a similar number of pixels within the display of an iPhone 7s. Take a look with your loupe sometime. ;)

Said differently, there will be 50 of each W-mint quarter design for every double-die 1955 cent ever made, and these weren’t even noticed until already in circulation a while.

Agreed. Compare 2 million with the current sales of uncirculated 'S' quarters, I believe the 2018-S Ozark Riverways ended up at 906,840.

The S quarters are manufactured collectors, every one of which is sold collector. The W mint Cubs are made for circulation and if they get the distribution right then comosrably very few will remain in uncirculated condition.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm actually pretty excited about this! Will PCGS be grading first strike for them, I assume? I wonder if the date starts after the first is found, or on the day they were released. Man, there could be some rarities if you can find a high grade and get first strike!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten... I doubt they will qualify for first strike - just based on what the qualifications stipulated have been. Cheers, RickO

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

4 to 6 weeks sounds like a long time for them to show up in circulation. maybe they sit at the bank a long time before someone buys a box

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@ernie11 said:

@BryceM said:

The S quarters are manufactured collectors, every one of which is sold collector. The W mint Cubs are made for circulation and if they get the distribution right then comosrably very few will remain in uncirculated condition.

True, I was thinking that I was erring by comparing apples to oranges. The prices for Mint State 'W' will be much higher than their 'S' counterparts.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I haven't bought my ATB quarter Dansco yet.

@coinpalice said:
    4 to 6 weeks sounds like a long time for them to show up in circulation. maybe they sit at the bank a long time before someone buys a box

Very few new coins are checked by collectors before entering circulation. It was a very tiny fraction of 1% in 1981 but even today it's likely not higher than 3 or 4%. Of course a lot of rolls are sometimes set aside without being looked at. Some years and denominations were not saved or searched. Try finding an original roll of '69 quarters. This percentage will soar now and there will likely be relatively few rolls available in a few years because of this.

This should prove interesting in the short run and the long run.

The coins are shipped in balistic bags to the counting houses and then they are divided up into boxes and rolls. Large percentages of the coins will probably escape into circulation and they will be worn. There are few people checking coins now days but I'd expect most of them to be found by the time they hit XF. I'd expect the average grade to be AU and about 10% to be Unc or close to it. They may show up in circulation for up to 15 years depending on how much quarter collecting there is. This coin will have little value in AU after a few years. Choice and Gem coins might be highly sought after but West Point quality tends to be exceedingly good and this will work against Gems having extremely high prices.

Tempus fugit.
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2019 4:37PM

There was a video on Facebook today of the Mint Director putting a small scoop of W mint quarters in the top of one of those huge bags of quarters the size of a small hot tub... Didn't even look like the scoop was full and maybe had 100-200 of the W quarters in it.

So, not only did it seem like the number of W mint quarters being put into circulation was very small... but it also didn't seem like those were mixed in very well. Presumably, whoever gets the coins off the top of that huge quarter bag will get all of the W mints and whoever is getting the coins off the bottom half of that huge bag will have zero chance at W quarters.

That’s the vid! Thanks @illini420! For those who are non-Facebooker’s here is the vid from the US Mint.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A8bVC52xnFE

Snapshots of the green tags:

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

limited amount . . . ten million

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

So, they will be mixed into mint's bulk bags from the other two mints which means they will be mixed into the Fed Reserve rolls of new coins released to the banks. Once the very large bulk bags are released to the FED branches (one here in Jax, FL) the FED branch will have to roll them and place them in "bricks." I wonder when they will be released to the banks.

@derryb said:

I misunderstood. Apparently it's just 2 million of each park.

If they get mixed in well then BU's will be quite scarce.

In the video it's apparent that West Point's quality will be as higher or higher than ever. Most of these coins will be Gems.

Tempus fugit.
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2019 5:59PM

Will be tough to find one in 66 or better I bet! Im going to get the local bank and credit union to call me when they come out!

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of people are going to profit from this. I'll absolutely pay a decent amount over face for rolls or bags of these at the beginning.

Then again, all it will take is the first one to sell for a few hundred and a news outlet to pick it up... Then everyone and their mother will be checking and thousands will be available. The faster that happens, the higher chance for higher end gems to be made.

I didn't know the W minted coins were typically higher quality? Where does that info come from?

@cladking said:

@derryb said:

In the video it's apparent that West Point's quality will be as higher or higher than ever. Most of these coins will be Gems.

But, they are getting put in the bulk bags along with the P & D mints. Then the bags go to the branch banks where they get machined rolled. Lots of banging going on before they hit the street.

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe the time delay will allow some folks at the counting houses to go thru the bags and pull out their share of the "W" coins before sending them to be wrapped? Make a little profit on the side?

edited April 3, 2019 6:37PM

I have witnessed the greed of some modern coin dealers on many occasions in the past and the efforts they take to get what they want and get their profits.

I have no doubt that some will find a way to game the system and obtain quantity of these W mint quarters to be able to sell to their customers at extraordinary prices.

• dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

I'll join the hunt, why not?

Doncha just love bag marks? So many of these beautiful quarters will be marked, then circulated, and handled by so many. And not everyone is even aware of these. So now begins the counting game. How many out of ten million have been found and how many are missing in circulation? It'll be interesting with five different quarter designs, you have to collect them all.

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

How are the W's get'tin' to Hawai'i? Swim'ming? Hur'rumph! ;-)

@renman95 said:

@renman95 said:

Going to have to get there by train like everyone else with this green new deal that's coming! Ha!

In reality, Hawaii will get the new quarters just like they get them currently, from the other banks. Just might take a little longer to get to the Islands.

• IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

To see if I understand the video correctly, a scoopful of “W” quarters are put in a bag and that bag is then placed on the top of the gazillion coin quarter Mylar bag and shipped to a first level coin distribution center. The little bag on the top with the rare, limited mintage, everybody wants one, “W” quarters has instructions on the side to “Mix” with the gazillion common quarters. Ya! That will happen! If you believe that then remember, when the bulk submissions begin selling on TV, they were actually the product of thousands of little elves searching through millions of rolls to recover these little treasures just for you. It is not greed, it is just business! How can the US Mint be so naive?

unus multorum
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to say - it's really an "M." The quarter is being held upside down.

(The "M" represents Milwaukee where the mint there cleans the planchets in beer.)

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

One scoop per pallet, so how many pallets are needed to get rid of 2M coins?

I'm gonna take a SWAG that more than one scoop went into the pallet, they only showed the last scoop. ;)
    ( that would also solve the problem of someone sorting them all out )

Watch someone find a whole bag that went unmixed full of W mint marks that got rolled. Don't rule it out, could happen...

Ah yes...one of my perennial hot points.... Where does this term 'ballistic bag' or sometimes 'ballistic roll' come from? It is ignorant... they have nothing to do with ballistics...
    Definition...."the science or study of the motion of projectiles, as bullets, shells, or bombs.
    the art or science of designing projectiles for maximum flight performance.".... absolute idiocy to use that term in reference to packaging. Cheers, RickO

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will check WaWa always fresh change chaching

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

If you have a spare $51,500 (also need to arrange your own transportation/shipping) then you can order bulk ATB quarters directly from the US Mint.

—————-

America the Beautiful Quarters

To purchase America the Beautiful (ATB) Quarters through the Circulating Bulk Purchase Program, customers (individuals or businesses) must:

-purchase the minimum of one bulk bag, which contains 200,000 coins

-pay for the coins at face value ($50,000) plus a processing fee, which equals 3% percent of total order value ($1,500 per bag)

-pay in full and in advance via electronic funds transfer to the United States Mint (instructions are provided after the order is entered and the inventory is confirmed)

-assume all shipping costs and arrange pick up to receive coins at the dock of United States Mint facilities in Philadelphia or Denver for coins manufactured in Philadelphia or Denver, respectively

https://catalog.usmint.gov/bulk-purchase-program-landing.html#atb

• mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

@ricko said:
    Ah yes...one of my perennial hot points.... Where does this term 'ballistic bag' or sometimes 'ballistic roll' come from? It is ignorant... they have nothing to do with ballistics...
    Definition...."the science or study of the motion of projectiles, as bullets, shells, or bombs.
    the art or science of designing projectiles for maximum flight performance.".... absolute idiocy to use that term in reference to packaging. Cheers, RickO

Thought it had something to do with the material, i.e, ballistic nylon. I know the old flack jackets were made of this.

@Hemispherical .... Even that would be a misuse or misapplication of the term. Cheers, RickO

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna wait for a lowball. :p

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

I've heard there is a list of cities that are getting them first...anyone have a link to the list of cities? I can't seem to find it.

Don't quote me on that.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:
    I've heard there is a list of cities that are getting them first...anyone have a link to the list of cities? I can't seem to find it

First page of this thread.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file