Options

W mint mark quarter - and the PCGS early find contest

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

New listing for a full roll of W quarters! :o

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't even put 2019-W in the title of the listing... that'll cost them some potential bidders.

But yeah, big surprise that a dealer was able to quickly secure a full roll of these ;)

• Options

I would be willing to bet they are keeping any higher grades to send in for grading.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's what they get for just pouring some on top of bag, not mixing them good enough

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

He also has a second listing @ starting bid $1,000, no bidders, vs the first listing starting bid of $1,250. BIN the same as the first listing - $2.500. or $0.625 each.

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    that's what they get for just pouring some on top of bag, not mixing them good enough

A big dealer may have bought a $50,000 bag from the mint.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 said:

Didn't even put 2019-W in the title of the listing... that'll cost them some potential bidders.

But yeah, big surprise that a dealer was able to quickly secure a full roll of these ;)

You called it...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

Have to admit though, I have not been this excited for a circulating coin since the Bicentennial.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    He also has a second listing @ starting bid $1,000, no bidders, vs the first listing starting bid of $1,250. BIN the same as the first listing - $2.500. or $0.625 each.

Not sure what math you are trying to say..

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd buy them for $0.625 each -- but alas -- try $62.50 each!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

62.50 each, get them all graded with the new label, may come out ahead if you sell them right away

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are all correct. I miss placed the decimal point. $62.50 each. Sheesh.

• Options

depends on how many stay in circulation, the ms-66 and 67's will bring a big premium even years down the road. the heavily circulated ones will bring a few bucks

• Options

the KEY will be to get them in the first week of discovery holder. that and a high grade will draw many collectors. the early find holder won't draw much of a premium, the population on those will be too high

• Options

Someone just bid on the $1250 auction, guess they didn't like the $1000 starting price. :D

• Options

that wipes out the first week of discovery holder on those.

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7over8 said:
    Within 3 months these will be selling raw for a few bucks each
    There just isn’t enough collectors to consume the 2,000,000 of each type

I can't believe they're selling for $100/each raw even now.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought something for $xx.01. Thinking I’ll get three quarters plus. Cashier pulls out a cent. :|

Didn’t have the heart to stop him.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Bought something for $xx.01. Thinking I’ll get three quarters plus. Cashier pulls out a cent. :|

Didn’t have the heart to stop him.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 said:

That is quite a haul. Only 8 hours left.

• Options
    BrutalflyBrutalfly Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

I really like looking at those quarters. Pretty neat in my opinion.
    I don't really care about finding one for the money or the PCGS stuff.
    Hopefully I can just find a couple for the kids coin state park album.
    This thread has been a fun one to read and an educational read for me.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet here, but one of the 2 winners is on CCF.

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=344612&whichpage=2

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

didn't i read somewhere that dealers were being involved in the coin hunt program and being provided the new coins to get them into circulation? If so, explains some of the ebay action.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I'm not sure if this has been posted yet here, but one of the 2 winners is on CCF.

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=344612&whichpage=2

That’s cool. User name is IgnorantVirtuoso.

@IgnorantVirtuoso is also a nic on this site too.

@IgnorantVirtuoso Are you the same who split the $5000 Lowell W quarter bounty?

(Also posted this in your other thread.)

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    didn't i read somewhere that dealers were being involved in the coin hunt program and being provided the new coins to get them into circulation? If so, explains some of the ebay action.

The W quarters from the Mint went straight to the banks, not any dealers. People are coin roll hunting that's why there are so many.

The dealers for the Hunt are providing their own coins into circulation to draw interest into the hobby.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@ECHOES said:
    Just arrived, I will call it MS65
    Did I win!?!?

You were supposed to hold it in your toes! :D

• Options

@cladking said:
    Wow!!!

I just asked at my bank about getting new quarters. They still have no mechanism for obtaining them and only did between 2000 and 2009. They limited customers to a single roll of states coins. But now it's back to the way it was before the states quarters; the only way to get them is coincidence. In other words virtually all of the W quarters will likely reach circulation.

But the bank tellers hadn't even heard of the "great coin hunt" or new quarters!!! They had had no requests.

There just aren't going to be very many Uncs and unless the word gets out within a couple years there will be very few AU's either. Indeed, these could turn up for many years in grades down to VF.

Old time collectors think that scarcity is determined by mintage because up until 1965 it was. But since then there is an inverse relationship between scarcity and mintage. In this case we have a low mintage coin being dispersed as though it's a high mintage coin so low mintage matters again. We could end up with a million in XF, a quarter million in AU, and as few as 50,000 in BU. We could. The rest would suffer attrition or become culls or lower grades. Circulation now days is like a meat grinder that cranks out nicks and culls and utterly destroys nearly 3% of quarters annually.

This would still be a very common coin in ten years with one and a half million survivors except this isn't 1965 any longer. Very few people collect moderns in circulated grades or even in very low mint state grades because they are available in Unc and because low mint state grades tend to be very ugly coins.

This will be interesting!

Thanks @cladking !

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

The way these things are spread out over all the states mixed in with the P's and D's is going to make the uncirculated ones become rare with plenty of circulated ones finally being found but they will not be in good condition. Those coin machines do a number on coins.
    The banks are not going to like this idea either as they have to pay money to get them re-rolled and then pay more money when they need more. I already ran into problems with that already as banks want to charge for getting me more coins and others told me that they will charge me for taking the coins back.
    Good luck with that as I have looked through 15 boxes so far and came up with nothing for all my work. Then they want to charge me both ways on getting new worthless boxes of quarters.
    Where does the mint come up with these dumb ideas.

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

@pitboss said:
    The way these things are spread out over all the states mixed in with the P's and D's is going to make the uncirculated ones become rare with plenty of circulated ones finally being found but they will not be in good condition. Those coin machines do a number on coins.
    The banks are not going to like this idea either as they have to pay money to get them re-rolled and then pay more money when they need more. I already ran into problems with that already as banks want to charge for getting me more coins and others told me that they will charge me for taking the coins back.
    Good luck with that as I have looked through 15 boxes so far and came up with nothing for all my work. Then they want to charge me both ways on getting new worthless boxes of quarters.
    Where does the mint come up with these dumb ideas.

I take it that if you found a "W" quarter in your first box and claimed the $5000 prize, you would proclaimed this idea as the best idea since sliced bread? :)

• Options

How come some people can come up with over 100 of these coins if everything is on the up and up and don't tell me that has not happened because it has. Everybody that chases these quarters will find out real quick that is not easy.

• Options

@pitboss

Right place at the right time or a lot of $$ to get tons, literally, of quarters.

Leaning toward a lot of $$.

• Options

@BrettPCGS said:
    All of the W Lowell quarters appear to be distributed into Mariana Island quarter rolls/bags (AKA the next state park). It appears that if you're looking at rolls/bags and they're not fresh rolls/bags of Mariana Island quarters then you're probably looking in the wrong spot. Happy hunting!

Tongue in check Brett or ya serious? :#

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

ratio of W's to the others is 1 out of 146.

That means on avg. 13.7 W's per $500 box of all new coins.

• Options

The problem is we do not get the good boxes. All we get is old coins or stuff from 2018.

• Options
    BrettPCGSBrettPCGS Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:

@BrettPCGS said:
    All of the W Lowell quarters appear to be distributed into Mariana Island quarter rolls/bags (AKA the next state park). It appears that if you're looking at rolls/bags and they're not fresh rolls/bags of Mariana Island quarters then you're probably looking in the wrong spot. Happy hunting!

100% Serious. As we understand it the P & D Lowell quarters were already fully distributed by the time they started putting W Lowell quarters into circulation. If you watch the mint videos closely you can see the mint director pour W Lowell quarters into the giant Mariana Island bags. So relatively speaking, if you find rolls of Mariana Island quarters, the hunt itself should be pretty easy, because every Lowell quarter in those rolls should be a W mint mark coin. - Or so we think! -

Brett Charville --- I work at PCGS

• Options

Machine damaged W Lowell quarter in a fresh box of Mariana Islands...

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went through 2.5 boxes earlier today of fresh Mariana quarters with no luck. 2.5 more boxes to go through, hoping for the best. I have a feeling they weren't necessarily mixed well. So the people that do find a box will have a good chance at finding several.

• Options

@BrettPCGS said:

@Akbeez said:

@BrettPCGS said:

100% Serious. As we understand it the P & D Lowell quarters were already fully distributed by the time they started putting W Lowell quarters into circulation. If you watch the mint videos closely you can see the mint director pour W Lowell quarters into the giant Mariana Island bags. So relatively speaking, if you find rolls of Mariana Island quarters, the hunt itself should be pretty easy, because every Lowell quarter in those rolls should be a W mint mark coin. - Or so we think! -

BAM!! Thank you Brett for confirmation! Thought you were sh***ing us (all due respect) ;) . Reminds me of the days when Puerto Rico got all our 2009 dimes and nickels. That ebay seller likely retired on his sales. So none were found state-side?

• Options

Oh carp -- guys and gales, please re-assess your $500 qtr box search and catch the next flight to the Marianas Islands Banko De Marianas for your W search! Let me know when you have a $500 case to send back. Figuratively of course. :)

• Options
    edited April 11, 2019 10:28PM

@BrettPCGS said:

Ebay pics of rolls containing the W confirm this.

Does this mean the "W" Marianas will be bagged with the next state park issue? Or are the Mariana Ws being issued along with the Lowell W's? At some point two different W's will have to be issued at the same time or there will always be a "one coin" delay for the W's.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2019 10:59PM

Seller has fresh rolls of the Lowell's for $149 and has confirmed to me that Lowell W's are also present in the Lowell P & D rolls as well as the Mariana P & D rolls.

• Options

@derryb said:

@BrettPCGS said:

Does this mean the "W" Marianas will be bagged with the next state park issue? Or are the Mariana Ws being issued along with the Lowell W's? At some point two different W's will have to be issued at the same time or there will always be a "one coin" delay for the W's.

Good question, we’re unsure at the moment. Someone finding the first W Mariana and their story may end up being more exciting than the stories we’ll be sharing of the first W Lowell finds.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2019 10:32PM

@BrettPCGS said:

@derryb said:

@BrettPCGS said:

Good question, we’re unsure at the moment. Someone finding the first W Mariana and their story may end up being more exciting than the stories we’ll be sharing of the first W Lowell finds.

Might be time to announce the next "early find" reward. LOL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file