Home U.S. Coin Forum

W mint mark quarter - and the PCGS early find contest

Comments

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2019 1:29AM

So I'm trying to figure out how these get distributed.

Mint makes the $50k ballistic bags with coins sprinkled in. Those bags go to certain cities. Do they stay in those specific cities, or are those cities just central hubs where the coin rollers do the rolling and then redistribute to surrounding areas?

Is anybody familiar with how the supply chain works on this?

Just found this in case anybody is curious.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tetromibi said:
    So I'm trying to figure out how these get distributed.

Mint makes the $50k ballistic bags with coins sprinkled in. Those bags go to certain cities. Do they stay in those specific cities, or are those cities just central hubs where the coin rollers do the rolling and then redistribute to surrounding areas?

Is anybody familiar with how the supply chain works on this?

Coin
    The Federal Reserve's role in coin operations is more limited than its role in currency operations. As the issuing authority for coins, the United States Mint determines annual coin production. The Reserve Banks, however, influence the process by providing the Mint with monthly coin orders and a 12-month rolling coin-order forecast. The Mint transports the coin from its production facilities in Philadelphia and Denver to all of the Reserve Banks and the Reserve Banks' coin terminal locations.

The Reserve Banks distribute new and circulated coin to depository institutions to meet the public's demand. While the Reserve Banks store some coin in their vaults, they also contract with coin terminals, which are operated by armored carriers, to store, receive, and distribute coin on behalf of the Reserve Banks.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/paymentsystems/coin_about.htm

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2019 2:34AM

3 different sellers now. I hope the person that paid $350 is sending it to PCGS!

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Good to hear from you Wayne. You would not believe the size of Albuquerque now. The 09 Lincolns are now officially dead in the water , so being retired, I have nothing else to do but chase these things and the thrill of discovery is still in me even at 79. I don't have a young chic, like you, to keep up with and in the heart of D country with these
    W's probably all over the city just waiting to be discovered I am on the prowl again.

@Zoins said:
    3 different sellers now. I hope the person that paid $350 is sending it to PCGS!

The middle listing has this in the descriptions:

“We are members of ANA, NGC, PCGS and CCE.”

So, this means this dealer has more than one W (listing has one) and has submitted one to our host.

Or, they are not in good standing with our host.

Or, they don’t read.

Or, whatever...

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

Seem most of the listings are from Tennessee.

Guessed I'm changing my Spring break vacation from Cancun to TN...

Beside the fact I have not found any yet !

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check this guy out...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-W-Lowell-National-Park-Quarter-Great-American-Coin-Hunt-WQUARTER/163641429662

Sold at least 6pcs at this price, also has a listing at $139. BIN
    Wonder how they found them?

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess if someone knows enough about them to list them for this price, they have already overnighted the best one to PCGS. I would not expect to be able to buy one on ebay and still get it to PCGS before anyone else.

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2019 9:01AM

@ECHOES said:
    Check this guy out...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-W-Lowell-National-Park-Quarter-Great-American-Coin-Hunt-WQUARTER/163641429662

Sold at least 6pcs at this price, also has a listing at $139. BIN
    Wonder how they found them?

The same seller also has a listing for $100. If the quantity available is correct in his listings (for this one at $139 and the $100 listings), he still has at least 10.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2019 10:24AM

Bought a box of quarters...all shiny and brand new....well, kind of....they were all last April's Apostle Islands Quarters from 2018 P. So close yet so far away. 50 rolls- $500 and weighs in at 24 lbs.

Ebay order shipped, should be here Fri/Sat.
    Will post pics when in hand.

@Onastone sorry to see you got stuck with 18s but look in the bright side. Since you got this box the bank will need to work on reordering more from the Fed and fill the vault with 19s. Thanks for helping the next CRH... :D:)

I am seeing tons of 19 Lowell’s now. Buying everything with cash and now I am asking at the registers if they have quarters to change a couple bucks when I checkout... the excuse, if I’m asked... gotta do a load of laundry.

• SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

Bought a box of quarters...all shiny and brand new....well, kind of....they were all last April's Apostle Islands Quarters from 2018 P. So close yet so far away. 50 rolls- $500 and weighs in at 24 lbs.

Scale might be off a bit, $500 in quarters should weigh in at 25 lbs.

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3

I just went through my 8th box with one more today. Making the banks order more coins even if I am not finding any W's yet. Did find a silver quarter though and a silver dime left in the return slot for me.

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t even gotten a 2019 p quarter. I hope I can get all five W’s. 🥺

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:

Everyone in your locale must be using plastic; and not enough coin jingling transactions. Feel for you @Mdcoincollector2003. :/

Nothing in that 9th box either mostly old coins ending in 2018. Had to be a box from 2018, making the order more though. I will pick up my 4 ordered boxes tomorrow.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    @Onastone sorry to see you got stuck with 18s but look in the bright side. Since you got this box the bank will need to work on reordering more from the Fed and fill the vault with 19s. Thanks for helping the next CRH... :D:)

I am seeing tons of 19 Lowell’s now. Buying everything with cash and now I am asking at the registers if they have quarters to change a couple bucks when I checkout... the excuse, if I’m asked... gotta do a load of laundry.

Have you tried the washateria? I imagine their machines are kept full :D

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave some for the rest of us. :D

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SONOMOSCA said:

@Onastone said:

Scale might be off a bit, $500 in quarters should weigh in at 25 lbs.

He had them unwrapped before he got home. So they weighed less.

• kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

I've seen a couple of the ebay listings. But wanted to update everyone on the discovery of one example by Diggin Dave on Youtube. He found his at his local Walmart, out of all places. He has sent it overnight to PCGS yesterday, so it should be to our hosts as of this morning.

@kookoox10 said:
    I've seen a couple of the ebay listings. But wanted to update everyone on the discovery of one example by Diggin Dave on Youtube. He found his at his local Walmart, out of all places. He has sent it overnight to PCGS yesterday, so it should be to our hosts as of this morning.

Thanks @kookoox10.

Here’s the vid.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZD-t_MmA9k

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:

Everyone in your locale must be using plastic; and not enough coin jingling transactions. Feel for you @Mdcoincollector2003. :/

Yeh a lot of people do I coin roll hunt often but I have never gotten a brand new roll in my 6 months of coin roll hunting in fact I just got one 2019 penny, nickel, and dime. I only use cash I do not have plastic.

• kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

On a side note, the few examples that have surfaced look pretty rough. I would imagine this will be a condition sensitive date. Anything above 65 will be rather difficult to achieve.

• SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

He had them unwrapped before he got home. So they weighed less.

:D

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

The countdown clock has started.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn! I just spent 6 quarters at the car wash vacuuming the ride. Didn't even check for a "W".

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time is ticking...

lol... guess i need to update my clock :#

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2019 10:00PM

@Batman23 said:
    Time is ticking...

lol... guess i need to update my clock :#

I was thinking you knew how to go back in time! That or I'm a few days older than you! :o

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2019 11:10PM

@jabba said:
    So where do the gian bags go? Who distributes them in to rolls?

They go to the 12 Federal Reserve branch banks (and their district branches) as bagged coins which get put into rolls by the armored car carrier contracted by the receiving commercial bank. FED banks (and a lot of commercial banks) used to roll the coins.

Atlanta branch and its district branches

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

Looks like two people will split the pot.

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@Tetromibi said:

Could one person have both of them?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I will not be first... but I will get one - or two or three... :D;) Cheers, RickO

edited April 10, 2019 5:01AM

@Tetromibi said:

Interesting. Those two quarters get their own PCGS number.

Wonder if the owners or owner will go public?

https://www.pcgs.com/2019quarterquest?utm_source=PCGS&utm_medium=spotlight&utm_campaign=2019 Quarter Quest&utm_content=quarter_quest_2019

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the rate I'm going (5 quarters in change a couple days ago, and none were even 2019's), I figure I'll find a couple in change in 5 or 6 years.

Still a better chance of getting a W quarter than a brassbuck. I think I've gotten four Sacabucks in the twenty years they've been out, so I'm eternally hopeful for those quarters... :wink:

Did anybody else find one of these doubled mint marks and lettering. I cant get a good picture.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it might be die erosion.

edited April 10, 2019 5:49AM

@smokincoin said:

@Tetromibi said:

Could one person have both of them?

I think the rules said one of the unique labels per submitter

Edit:
    “First Discovery pedigree is limited to 1 per customer, multiple qualifying 2019-W Lowell quarter submissions would be assigned for First Week of Discovery or Early Find pedigrees.”

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Looks like it might be die erosion.

It came from a box that had the D mint mark even though it looks like a P.

edited April 10, 2019 6:33AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113713800659?ViewItem=&item=113713800659

By my count, this seller has sold 18pcs @$100, and 6 more listed.
    Sold 2pcs @$139, and 3 more listed.

If he/she acquired these at face value, that is a nice profit. ($2,078.)

• BrutalflyBrutalfly Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

I got a couple of the Lowell "D" back in change the other day.
    I also got a bicentennial quarter as well.
    Hopefully my kids and I can find a "W"

@ECHOES said:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/113713800659?ViewItem=&item=113713800659

By my count, this seller has sold 18pcs @$100, and 6 more listed.
    Sold 2pcs @$139, and 3 more listed.

If he/she acquired these at face value, that is a nice profit. ($2,078.)

That seller must have bought a mint bag... the BIG one.

America the Beautiful Quarters

To purchase America the Beautiful (ATB) Quarters through the Circulating Bulk Purchase Program, customers (individuals or businesses) must:

purchase the minimum of one bulk bag, which contains 200,000 coins

pay for the coins at face value ($50,000) plus a processing fee, which equals 3% percent of total order value ($1,500 per bag)

pay in full and in advance via electronic funds transfer to the United States Mint (instructions are provided after the order is entered and the inventory is confirmed)

assume all shipping costs and arrange pick up to receive coins at the dock of United States Mint facilities in Philadelphia or Denver for coins manufactured in Philadelphia or Denver, respectively

https://catalog.usmint.gov/bulk-purchase-program-landing.html#atb

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy Molly !

I put some boxes on ebay from Albuquerque, New Mexico for anybody that does not live near one of the cities listed. No guarantees on what is in there though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file