Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

W mint mark quarter - and the PCGS early find contest

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2019 8:24PM

@Hemispherical said:
    Wow! Too bad about the coin counter/roll damage. Still worth $5000, hopefully.

Edit to add. In the reddit thread the OP mentions he found two... or is that three? :o

Who can get one to PCGS's offices first! It's a race now!

Anyone taking tomorrow off from work ;)

• Options
    edited April 7, 2019 9:02PM

Just read this on Reddit. I didn't realize this stipulation but it makes sense as you have to be able to submit. At least they are posting good info there.

The $5,000 reward is available only to PCGS Collectors Club members and PCGS Authorized Dealers in good standing

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

Interestingly, he also wrote this... "Strange, I only found Lowell Ws despite being in a box of only N Mariana quarters"

• Options
    edited April 7, 2019 10:21PM

@smokincoin said:
    Interestingly, he also wrote this... "Strange, I only found Lowell Ws despite being in a box of only N Mariana quarters"

Great first hand info. Might have to do with how they are mixed in?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

Wow! That was easy. Didn't even have to unwrap the rolls!

Looks kind of scuffed up.

Seven Ws? I am not believing this. Maybe this is all joke.

Why are the pics undefined and blurry, especially, on the MM?

The other reddit thread by the same username: https://www.reddit.com/r/coins/comments/ban8ym/took_the_w_today_boys/

Any bay listings?

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2019 2:47AM

Look to be in pretty bad shape. Typical for the Lowell quarters so far this year. 67 and higher W’s will be spendy if that holds up.

• Options

Banks are probably gonna have some losses from this stunt. Tons of boxes of quarters will be sold and then redeposited.

• Options
    USAFRETWIUSAFRETWI Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

Hopefully this gets people interested in coins again, for me it’s one of those could care less moments.

• Options
    edited April 8, 2019 2:30AM

First ones on eBay.

One sold on Saturday, one available. Going rate is $350.00.

• Options

That didn’t take long at all.

• Options

We should know soon about the...

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I will be at my bank at 9am this morning to see what they have and I have a full tank of gas in my car and am prepared to drive all over Albuqueruue to buy boxes and ordering boxes of quarters fo future delivery.
    Good luck everyone!

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i bet someone else has a W quarter on the way to pcgs already

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that first one is submitted, more like damaged.

• Options

Got 2 boxes this morning . That was all they had at my bank but have another shipment coming in Wednesday so I ordered 4 more boxes. These 2 boxes had a low of Lowells in them but no W's. These were mixed boxes and were obviously not pure new coins. I did find one Lowell P which surprised the hell out of me. What was that doing in Albuquerque. I will take these ones down to the credit union now and cash them in. I was going to get more today but that is too much work looking through them for one day. Maybe tomorrow.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be in Houston on Wednesday and will be paying cash for everything. :)

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just picked up 2 more boxes. :)

• Options

No W but did find a State quarter that is needed for the Dansco. ;)

Yes, still working on the 50 State quarters, stipulation for this set is that the quarters must be found in change. Now that I am back to using cash I may actually finish it. LOL! :p

• Options

Hemi, If you have any other holes you need filled I have found about every quarter in the boxes. Let me know what you still need. :)

• Options

Another listing went up at about 1:00 pm. They had 5 for sale at $100 each, 2 sold in 2 hours.

Might be leaving a little money on the table if the other sold for $350.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got me one! Off the bay thanks @ifthevamzarockin

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@ECHOES said:
    Just got me one! Off the bay thanks @ifthevamzarockin

Don't forget my finders fee. :D

• Options

@ECHOES

When you get it will you be sure to post a photo of it and your fingernails? :D

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    @ECHOES

When you get it will you be sure to post a photo of it and your fingernails? :D

I might just do that, fingers and all...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2019 12:57AM

I’m guessing the Bay sellers do not know about PCGS’s bounty. Oh well, their loss.

But I’m guessing that tonight/tomorrow a W will hit our hosts PO Box/intake department and the timer will start soon after it’s been authenticated.

Who would be silly enough to try and “paste” W on the quarter?

• Options

Just picked up another box but it was a solid box of Block Island. I will take it back to the credit union tomorrow and see if I can find some more. I still have my 4 boxes coming in Wed which hopefully will be good ones.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

That finder thought he was scoring by selling them for $100 each - but he may have missed the $5000 from PCGS. Maybe one of his buyers will mail it in to claim the prize.

• Options
    edited April 8, 2019 3:09PM

@JBK said:
    That finder thought he was scoring by selling them for $100 each - but he may have missed the $5000 from PCGS. Maybe one of his buyers will mail it in to claim the prize.

He may already have the best one in the mail to be graded. On reddit, the guy found a few in a box.

Apparently one sold on eBay as early as Saturday. I’m surprised clock hasn’t started already.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tetromibi said:

@JBK said:

He may already have the best one in the mail to be graded. On reddit, the guy found a few in a box.

Apparently one sold on eBay as early as Saturday. I’m surprised clock hasn’t started already.

Might well be the case, but if he sent them all in they could all get the "discovery coin" designation on the label.

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@illini420 said:
    If I were one of those with the W mint quarters in hand, I think it would be worth catching the next flight to SoCal and hand delivering that thing to PCGS on the same day! $5k would more than cover the expenses and you'd beat all of the others sending through the mail.

Agreed! And add to the $5K, the moon money that that label should bring and you could... (insert your own wish). :)

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to the ebay flippers but I think I'll wait until sanity returns before I buy one for that kind of money or hopefully find one in change.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can truckloads be ordered for driveway dump?

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Hemi, If you have any other holes you need filled I have found about every quarter in the boxes. Let me know what you still need. :)

Thanks for the offer Vam, but I’ll chug away at finding the last few, like the others, in change when I buy something. ;)

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh dang, 3 W's already. I just found three of the D's :#

• Options

@CoinscratchFever That’s all I’ve been finding.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

And those came out in February, right in-line with the 4 to 6 week expectancy.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Hemispherical said:

There was a W right next to that D in the roll and the customer before you got it... ... ... :D

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

We know there aren’t anywhere near 2,000,000 collectors of washie’s, so, expect the price of these to drop like a rock once more are found and the eBay flippers feed on their own.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Hemispherical said:

There was a W right next to that D in the roll and the customer before you got it... ... ... :D

Your probably right the guy in line next to me had a box, and said he had too many quarters and would sell me 10 rolls for 95.00 but the teller had just rolled out my request for 20 rolls and I was tapped. I zigged when I should have zagged. :|

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Hemispherical said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Hemispherical said:

Your probably right the guy in line next to me had a box, and said he had too many quarters and would sell me 10 rolls for 95.00 but the teller had just rolled out my request for 20 rolls and I was tapped. I zigged when I should have zagged. :|

Oh wow, I was joking, but it did happen. Wonder if the other person actually did get a W. :o

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Hemispherical said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Hemispherical said:

Oh wow, I was joking, but it did happen. Wonder if the other person actually did get a W. :o

He wasn't roll searching so probably got 3 or 4 of em'

• Options

I'll try Bank of America Tuesday for a box or 2 and see what I get from them. Thank God for the counting machines in the credit unions so I don't have to re-roll all these suckers.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pitboss said:

I am headed to the banks tomorrow morning. Hope I pick the right banks. I hope to start out with 2 or 3 boxes to go through in the morning then to the credit union to get rid of the junk and get ready for Tuesday and more banks as there are hundreds in Albuquerque.

Hundreds of banks? Has Albuquerque turned into Singapore? Good to see you in the game again Steve! I'm in the same boat as Hawaii -- Alaska will be the last place to find these. Not much quarter turnover in igloos. :/

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file