W mint mark quarter - and the PCGS early find contest

Comments

• Options
    BrettPCGSBrettPCGS Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@BrettPCGS said:

@derryb said:

@BrettPCGS said:
    All of the W Lowell quarters appear to be distributed into Mariana Island quarter rolls/bags (AKA the next state park). It appears that if you're looking at rolls/bags and they're not fresh rolls/bags of Mariana Island quarters then you're probably looking in the wrong spot. Happy hunting!

Does this mean the "W" Marianas will be bagged with the next state park issue? Or are the Mariana Ws being issued along with the Lowell W's? At some point two different W's will have to be issued at the same time or there will always be a "one coin" delay for the W's.

Good question, we’re unsure at the moment. Someone finding the first W Mariana and their story may end up being more exciting than the stories we’ll be sharing of the first W Lowell finds.

Might be time to announce the next "early find" reward. LOL

We did it’s $2000 for a Mariana W

Brett Charville --- I work at PCGS

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BrettPCGS said:
    All of the W Lowell quarters appear to be distributed into Mariana Island quarter rolls/bags (AKA the next state park). It appears that if you're looking at rolls/bags and they're not fresh rolls/bags of Mariana Island quarters then you're probably looking in the wrong spot. Happy hunting!

I was wondering about that.

Since BS Lowell's been packaged and shipped already, I was wondering how they'd get them into circulation. Either increase the concentration of Lowell's in the remaining bags to be packed/shipped, or put them into American Memorial.

Have any American Memorial W's been found yet?

(Oh, and four more quarters in change, and still haven't even found a 2019 yet... :'( )

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2019 5:48AM

@Tetromibi said:

With all these “W” being found you would think the numbers would be higher. Maybe some of the quarters are genuine w/details. If so, there are two challenges with the W.

-finding a quarter

-hoping the quarter is graded and not detailed

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BrettPCGS said:

I was wondering about that.

Since BS Lowell's been packaged and shipped already, I was wondering how they'd get them into circulation. Either increase the concentration of Lowell's in the remaining bags to be packed/shipped, or put them into American Memorial.

Have any American Memorial W's been found yet?

(Oh, and four more quarters in change, and still haven't even found a 2019 yet... :'( )

All I’m finding is Lowell’s. No Mariana’s yet.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Typical work being done by the mint. If there is a way to screw something up they will find it.

• Options

The only ones that have done well on this stupid idea by the mint is those that bought ballistic bags. The mint just put the W coins on top of the box and did not mix them in and let them go out the door to be picked up by the rich boys that were there to pick them up and then just sat on the bulk of the rest of them. That is the only explanation for some people haven over a hundred of these coins and everybody else going through boxes like crazy and finding nothing. All we have done is to piss off the banks so it will make it harder when the coins are finally released. Kudos to the mint for another screw up.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

hopefully all the people that currently have one on hand gets it sent off to pcgs asap to get the first week of discovery label

• Options

Im thinking about it. The way the grades are going it might be better to keep them raw.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder how many of the ebay sellers work for one of the armored carriers who roll the coins?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@pitboss said:
    Im thinking about it. The way the grades are going it might be better to keep them raw.

Mid 60's is the norm for bagged, machine rolled new coins. 67's, 68's will be rare.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just going to watch my change for one. It'll be cool that way. :)

• Options

That one guy thats selling rolls of W quarters admits he got his from a ballistic bag of 200,000 coins. What they did with those is to take a scoop of W's ( or maybe put in an envelope) and dump them on top of the 200.000 coins and not mix them in. I see he has had at least 3 auctions of full rolls and they probably are good coins as they did not get run through a coin counter or get damaged by other coins.

• Options

Pay more get more.

I’m doing the no added fee method. Buy stuff with cash and check the change (and ask to exchange a bill for some quarters). No luck so far, but makes it fun to check the quarters.

What else is there to do?

Buy gold! B)

• Options

Article about the two people who got the first Ws.

“Two Winners in PCGS First Discovery 2019-W Lowell Quarter Promotion
    Posted by CoinNews.net

Two avid coin collectors, one in Kansas and the other in Virginia, have agreed to split the $5,000 bounty offered by Professional Coin Grading Service (www.PCGS.com) for almost simultaneously submitting the first 2019 "America the Beautiful" Lowell National Historical Park quarter-dollars with a West Point mint mark. Both submissions arrived on the same day at PCGS headquarters.

But the PCGS Quarter Quest has not ended, and there are still opportunities for rewards and fun with W mint mark quarters in the weeks ahead.

"After PCGS announced the Quarter Quest competition on Friday, April 5, 2019, the entire office buzzed with anticipation," said PCGS President Brett Charville. "Who would win? Would there be more than one? Given that the quarters are circulating, will high grades be scarce? How long will it take until the first one travels through the grading room?"

It didn’t take long for the questions to be answered.

The first two qualifying W mint mark quarters arrived at PCGS on Tuesday, April 9. One was submitted by a collector identified as "Steven R." from Topeka, Kansas, the other was submitted by collector "Michael T." of Fairfax, Virginia.

Steven told PCGS he obtained his winning coin, now graded PCGS MS65, when he "just stopped at a gas station to buy a couple of Pepsis." His interest in coin collecting started from searching through his grandfather’s coin jars hoping to stumble upon something big.

"I was always looking for that ’44 steel penny," he explained.

Michael, who began collecting as a youngster when his father gave him an Eisenhower dollar, revealed he found his winning coin when he purchased rolls of quarters.

"On the end of one roll I saw a W mint mark, and I was super excited there might be something good in here," he recalled.

His W quarter is graded PCGS MS66.

The two collectors are receiving $2,500 each from PCGS and their encapsulated coin inserts indicate a pedigree of "PCGS First Discovery 1 of 2."”

More at:
    http://www.coinnews.net/2019/04/12/two-winners-in-pcgs-lowell-2019-w-quarter-promotion/#more-71157

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool stuff... TTT

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

I'll have a few to send out. Wonder what grade is going to be "worth it" to submit.

• Options

Count is still low. I would have expected that initial surge of those sending in to get the $$. Then slow down as people read the news that was awarded.

Unless, people sent their W via parcel post. :D

• Options
    earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

I’d bet that after the initial (manufactured) excitement, we’ll have all the 65s that anyone might like for a couple of hundred, or less. Consider those initially “rare” Wisconsin high / low leaf examples.

• Options

TTT

• Options

Why would any seller use an auction style format for a coin whose prices quickly drop? Half-life of these things is short.

• Options

The real winners with this coin will come out of the ballistic bags as they don't get wear and tear of being in a large bin and then go through a coin wrapping experience. They are not mixed in with the other coins and just sit on top of the pile or maybe even put in a separate bag on top. You need to have a lot of money to buy those 200,000 coin bags though ($50,000 )but in this business there are quite a few people who this is not a problem for. So that my friends is where the best of these coins will come from.

• Options

would love to hear the war story from someone here who bought the monster bag.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

there is a surcharge of 250 dollars I believe to buy a ballistic bag also not to mention wear and tear on your truck hauling them and then trying to get rid of the unwanted quarters, not worth it in my opinion unless there are several thousand in the one bag

• Options

I suspect a lot of the early ones on ebay never saw the rolling machine. Inside job.

• Options

@derryb said:
    I suspect a lot of the early ones on ebay never saw the rolling machine. Inside job.
    There is only one guy selling these things right now that says his come from ballistic bags and his coins look awful good. I know because I bought some and will be sending them off to our host as soon as I get the confirmation of my PCGS package.

• Options

@derryb said:
    Why would any seller use an auction style format for a coin whose prices quickly drop? Half-life of these things is short.

BIN's at $50, Auction over $100, Go figure...

• Options

@pitboss said:

@derryb said:
    There is only one guy selling these things right now that says his come from ballistic bags and his coins look awful good. I know because I bought some and will be sending them off to our host as soon as I get the confirmation of my PCGS package.

@pitboss

Kudos, good for you!
    How many, if you don't mind my asking?

• Options

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    there is a surcharge of 250 dollars I believe to buy a ballistic bag also not to mention wear and tear on your truck hauling them and then trying to get rid of the unwanted quarters, not worth it in my opinion unless there are several thousand in the one bag

Surcharge is 1.5% of the value. The value of each quarter bag is $50,000. Which totals $51,500. Still have to provide your own transportation which can handle a payload of ~2615 lbs.

Drop in the bucket for some dealers.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/bulk-purchase-program-landing.html#atb

• Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

Will these be mixed into bags and rolls we can buy direct from the mint?

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2019 4:00PM

@spotthedog said:
    Will these be mixed into bags and rolls we can buy direct from the mint?

No. Check out the USMint link Ricko provided in the first post of this thread. ;)
    [https://usmint.gov/news/inside-the-mint/mint-releases-first-ever-w-quarters-into-circulation?fbclid=IwAR3UPadASnZSj0xKrUHxzoHHwkwXYvZRkr1RgCBcHbgcYqq-ihman7eVNzA]

• Options

Nice :#

• Options

Two days left for the first week discovery pedigree with the Lowells.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    Two days left for the first week discovery pedigree with the Lowells.

• Options

@direwolf1972

That is some hardcore CRH! W’s and a blank quarter planchet to boot, too!

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@direwolf1972 said:
    YES WE GOT IT!!!
    We have only cracked 2 rolls out of this $500 brick and are at 24 west point and a blank planchet. And there a lot more rolls that look good
    So happy.

You should send one to me, since I’m a young collector. 😉 or maybe we could trade, PM me if you are interested.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!!! Send them all in, I want to buy one from you.

• Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

We are up to 50 w's and only 8 rolls into this brick. Working slowly to make sure we dont add any additional bumps or bangs to them.

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    Almost like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I did find a roll of quarters that had a nickel in it...

And if you buy a box of quarters, don't bother unrolling and searching if they aren't the ALL brand new 2019 ones, the W quarters won't be mixed into the old circulated rolls just yet.

I kept opening anyway and found a 47 S

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

I kept opening anyway and found a 47 S

That's determination!!!!! Great find! I saw no silver, lots of dirty coins....I should've wore some gloves, and a crushed M&M stuck on one quarter.....eeeeeewwww...circulation can be brutal.

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

It’s the awful race to the bottom

• Options

@Onastone Quarters are much quicker than cents, like 10 times faster. I found 3 or 4 cents mixed in along with some interesting but most likely PMD's

• Options

@7over8 said:
    And in another 2 weeks these will be 20 bucks each— but hold out—in a month these will be 10 bucks or less

And in 20 years?

• Options
    QE GuyQE Guy Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    @direwolf1972

That is some hardcore CRH! W’s and a blank quarter planchet to boot, too!

+1 Nice Haul! (so far!)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file