W mint mark quarter - and the PCGS early find contest

Comments

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

@Whitney77 said:

@Hemispherical said:

@Whitney77 said:
    Got 3 Lowell's yesterday... all Ps :| keep looking

@Whitney77 Welcome to the forum! Enjoy the W hunt!

Thanks, gives people like us, that this really interests something to talk about definitely :)

Yes, yes Welcome @Whitney77

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tulips today, dust tomorrow.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that 1st discovery coin is already going to auction. I bet it goes well into the five figures. I'll be happy to just find one of each in change for the album, oh wait, I need a new page for the album now.

• Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

This is not necessarily correct. I have found 23 so far mostly in rolls from a local convenience store. The rolls are mostly P mint NMI quarters, but are mixed with other quarters. It is odd in that usually we get D mint in Minnesota.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smuglr said:
    This is not necessarily correct. I have found 23 so far mostly in rolls from a local convenience store. The rolls are mostly P mint NMI quarters, but are mixed with other quarters. It is odd in that usually we get D mint in Minnesota.

Welcome to the forums @smuglr!

You’ve found 23 of the second iteration of the W’s? Sending any in for the first week pedigree?

Pics please. Have not seen Mariana’s Ws, yet.

https://www.pcgs.com/2019quarterquest?utm_source=PCGS&utm_medium=spotlight&utm_campaign=2019 Quarter Quest&utm_content=quarter_quest_2019

• Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

You’ve found 23 of the second iteration of the W’s? Sending any in for the first week pedigree?

No, sorry for the misunderstanding. They are Lowell Park, but they are in rolls that are mostly P mint NMI, with some older quarters mixed in.

• Options

@smuglr said:
    @Hemispherical said:

No, sorry for the misunderstanding. They are Lowell Park, but they are in rolls that are mostly P mint NMI, with some older quarters mixed in.

Understood. Thanks and congrats!

• Options

Mariana’s W

CoinFacts listing:
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2019-w-25c-american-memorial-np/717990

Awaiting Certification

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like no new W's graded yesterday.

• Options

Not me! Got plenty of currency and need to go buy something to get more change. Going-to-get-me-a-W-sooner-or-later- :# LOL

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

If you live in an area that has been getting them that is fine but they said Albuquerque was in the area and they have not sent any of the new coins here. I have tried most of the banks and they say they don't deal with the fed as they charge too much for their coins and they can get them re-rolled cheaper.

• Options

Repost. See item in bold for remainder of April deliveries.

—————-

By Paul Gilkes , Coin World
    Published : 04/02/19

“The April 1 coin destinations were:

Colorado Denver

Florida Jacksonville Miami Orlando Pensacola

Georgia Atlanta

Illinois Chicago

Indiana Indianapolis

Kentucky Louisville

Louisiana Shreveport

Massachusetts Boston

Maryland Baltimore Beltsville

Michigan Detroit

Minnesota Minneapolis

Mississippi Jacksonville

Missouri Kansas City St. Louis

Montana Helena

New Mexico Albuquerque

New York New York City

North Carolina Charlotte

Ohio Cincinnati Tallmadge

Pennsylvania Pittsburgh

Tennessee Memphis Nashville

Texas Dallas Houston San Antonio

Utah Salt Lake City

Virginia Richmond

Washington Seattle

For the remainder of April, destination locations are:

Alabama Birmingham

Arizona Phoenix

California Los Angeles Oakland Ontario

Colorado Denver

Florida Jacksonville Miami Orlando Pensacola

Georgia Atlanta

Illinois Chicago

Indiana Indianapolis

Iowa Davenport Des Moines

Kentucky Louisville

Louisiana New Orleans Shreveport

Massachusetts Boston

Maryland Baltimore Beltsville Nottingham

Michigan Detroit

Minnesota Minneapolis

Mississippi Jackson

Missouri Kansas City St. Louis

Nebraska Omaha

Nevada Las Vegas

New Mexico Albuquerque

New York New York City

North Carolina Charlotte Morrisville

Ohio Cincinnati Tallmadge

Pennsylvania Pittsburgh

Tennessee Memphis Nashville

Texas Houston San Antonio

Virginia Richmond

Wisconsin Milwaukee”

• Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

Question:

I've gotten side tracked by having kids and working my way up the ladder at work. I haven't submitted a coin in almost 10 years.

Our package went out yesterday. Was sent overnight and has arrived at PCGS facility.

How long is PCGS taking to typically grade these days?

We found 68 West Point's and a blank Type II planchet that was in the roll that hit all the W's, waiting to be graded.

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@direwolf1972 said:
    Question:

I've gotten side tracked by having kids and working my way up the ladder at work. I haven't submitted a coin in almost 10 years.

Our package went out yesterday. Was sent overnight and has arrived at PCGS facility.

We found 68 West Point's and a blank Type II planchet that was in the roll that hit all the W's, waiting to be graded.

How many did you submit for grading?

• Options

All of them. I'm not good at grading quarters. I can nail a Morgan grade 90 percent of the time but looking at that MS66 1 of 2 discovery piece I would have given it MS64 tops. There are a lot of marks on obv around face and fields.

Knowing enough to know I don't know how to accurately grade a ATB quarter, I didn't want to take a chance of having some high grades that I skipped sending in.

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2019 8:29AM

@direwolf1972 said:
    All of them. I'm not good at grading quarters. I can nail a Morgan grade 90 percent of the time but looking at that MS66 1 of 2 discovery piece I would have given it MS64 tops. There are a lot of marks on obv around face and fields.

Knowing enough to know I don't know how to accurately grade a ATB quarter, I didn't want to take a chance of having some high grades that I skipped sending in.

Wowee! Roughly $1400 in grading/shipping? I hope you get some high grades and quickly get all those you don't plan to keep into the market ASAP.

• Options

@direwolf1972 said:
    Question:

For the Ws, did you label the package,

“Mandatory Eligibility Information
    To be eligible for the any of the 2019-W pedigrees, submission packages must be clearly marked in black ink on all sides of the shipping package with the term, “FD19.” Boxes and packages without being clearly delineated with “FD19” will not be eligible for pedigree labels, no exceptions.”

https://www.pcgs.com/2019quarterquest?utm_source=PCGS&utm_medium=spotlight&utm_campaign=2019 Quarter Quest&utm_content=quarter_quest_2019

Turn around stats are based on service level, but, it might be quicker if you labeled the package.

https://www.pcgs.com/Statistics/

Hopefully you put the planchet on a separate submission form; since the Ws had a special grading fee.

Calling CS will probably get you more accurate info:

You can reach the PCGS customer service department Monday - Friday 7:00am - 5:00pm Pacific Time.

In the United States call toll free at 800-447-8848. Outside the United States call 949-833-0600.

Mail us at:
    PCGS, Professional Coin Grading Service
    P.O. Box 9458
    Newport Beach, CA 92658

Fax: (949) 567-1253

Or e-mail us at info@pcgs.com

• Options

I'm in it for the excitement of the hunt.

I wouldn't argue with making a few dollars in the end, but to me it's about hoping I can get a top pop out of the batch in the pedigree 1st week holder.

• Options

Yes all the criteria were met, including FD19.

Not having submitted in so long, I was on the phone with PCGS customer service a lot yesterday to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

• Options

@direwolf1972 said:

I wouldn't argue with making a few dollars in the end, but to me it's about hoping I can get a top pop out of the batch in the pedigree 1st week holder.

For the Lowells the 1st week pedigree has expired. All you can get is the early find pedigree.

Unless your talking about the Marianas; countdown has not started yet, but they got the first coin in the day before yesterday and pending certification.

I agree about the excitement of the hunt!

• Options

@direwolf1972 said:
    Yes all the criteria were met, including FD19.

Not having submitted in so long, I was on the phone with PCGS customer service a lot yesterday to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

So your the one tying up the CS line. J/K :D

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@direwolf1972 said:

For the Lowells the 1st week pedigree has expired. All you can get is the early find pedigree.

Unless your talking about the Marianas; countdown has not started yet, but they got the first coin in the day before yesterday and pending certification.

My package met the criteria for that as well. Talked to two different people at PCGS customer service who confirmed that as long as they were post marked by the end of the count down clock, they will get 1st week pedigree.

My package was post marked at 3pm yesterday central time by FedEx and is already sitting waiting for PCGS in California. I opted for 9am delivery and it shows it is already at the Irvine facility "HOLD FOR PICK-UP" as per the PCGS guidelines on overnight shipping.

• Options

@direwolf1972 said:

@Hemispherical said:

@direwolf1972 said:

My package met the criteria for that as well. Talked to two different people at PCGS customer service who confirmed that as long as they were post marked by the end of the count down clock, they will get 1st week pedigree.

My package was post marked at 3pm yesterday central time by FedEx and is already sitting waiting for PCGS in California. I opted for 9am delivery and it shows it is already at the Irvine facility "HOLD FOR PICK-UP" as per the PCGS guidelines on overnight shipping.

Awesome! Right under the wire, you’ll have a story to tell your kids unless they are already involved which would be even more cool. :)

• Options

My 9 year old is the same age I started collecting. We kept a good variety of state and ATB quarter and have albums for her to fill.

We are putting her together a set. It is good to plant the collecting seed in her early. She went to banks with me and is in on the fun.

Our 3 year old's favorite word is "OK" so that's all I could get out of her about our hunt.

• Options

@direwolf1972 said:
    My 9 year old is the same age I started collecting. We kept a good variety of state and ATB quarter and have albums for her to fill.

We are putting her together a set. It is good to plant the collecting seed in her early. She went to banks with me and is in on the fun.

Our 3 year old's favorite word is "OK" so that's all I could get out of her about our hunt.

So glad to hear! This hobby continues with our young. Sometimes it’s hard getting our young interested in things we do/did. Congrats!

Your 3yo has other plans... perhaps a gold stacker? :)

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@direwolf1972
    Did you also send the blank planchet ?

• Options
    edited April 17, 2019 9:31AM

@Kudbegud said:
    @direwolf1972
    Did you also send the blank planchet ?

Yes.

They did a terrible job of mixing the W's in Nashville.

I know it's a W and that's good enough for me.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

for good numbers and the blank attributed.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt they attribute the blank as a W. There is no way to prove it. I would be interested in buying one of your graded pieces if the price is right!

• Options

Where are all the Memorial Park W's?

ebay is flooded with lowell's...

• Options

The first memorial park must have been graded now. Timer has started. $2k again for the next coin.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tetromibi said:

Exactly, I'm waiting for them too...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been through 10 boxes and still not one W quarter. :'(

• Options
  • Options

Going bank to bank tomorrow to try to find some.

Anybody have any national or midwest banks that they've had luck with? I'm in Fargo, so I'd assume we source our rolls from Minneapolis. Hoping there's a chance to find some in the wild.

• Options
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:

@Tetromibi said:

Exactly, I'm waiting for them too...

American Memorial wasn't released until the first week of April, that's only been two weeks.

If they continued to put Lowell into American Memorial bags, the wait could be longer, depending on how they handle their inventory...

• Options
    edited April 18, 2019 1:49AM

Right, but the point I was making is the timer has already started for first week designation and you can't seem to find them like you could with Lowell.

It's weird that out of all the people hunting these, only one person has found any so far. I assumed floodgates would open a day or so after the first was found...but it's been a few days now.

edit: maybe it's because they're in with the memorial park ballistic bags, so the reverse matches...making it significantly harder to screen?

• Options

• Options

@Tetromibi said:

50 and 4.

Seems there is a lot more of the Lowells on the bay.

What’s weird I can’t seem to find any of these ATC.

• Options

Seller 'blmckinn' nuked the BIN's, has two auctions for a single example.
    So far this is the only seller.
    I won't go this route with this issue, I will wait for the BIN with the right price.
    There will be more...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-W-American-Memorial-Park-Quarter/303129345254?hash=item4693eabce6:g:r50AAOSwuwdct-cJ

• Options

These MP W's look pretty good. Where's the PCGS grading fee/special label link for these rascals?

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

@derryb said:
    These MP W's look pretty good. Where's the PCGS grading fee/special label link for these rascals?

Pricing
    PCGS is offering special pricing of just $20 per 2019-W mint mark quarter with PCGS First Discovery, First Week of Discovery, and Early Find pedigrees for all 2019-W quarters
    Special pricing is available until the end of the 45-day Early Find period.

@Tetromibi posted the link above scroll all the way down.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, derryb.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

flip or buy the plastic?

- Nick Giambruno

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file