Home U.S. Coin Forum

W mint mark quarter - and the PCGS early find contest

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found 2 S mint mark business strike in my last box. I'm at 15 boxes with no W's.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    I found 2 S mint mark business strike in my last box. I'm at 15 boxes with no W's.

Vam, throwing some luck to you on this fine Sunday. The Ws are around the corner. Which corner?No idea. ;):D:)

@Hemispherical said:
    Vam, throwing some luck to you on this fine Sunday. The Ws are around the corner. Which corner?No idea. ;):D:)

Maybe today would be a good day for me to find a new lucky rabbits foot. :D

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I intend to call cs on Monday morning and figure out what to do. Just joined PCGS after not using them since the 07/08 eagle thing. I have no reservations about their grading and just picked out the best five I could find with hits on Washington being my first priority.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pitboss said:
    I also kept my best 5 to send in to our host for grading this week as soon as I figure out how to do it.

How to submit

Special for W quarters

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

@pitboss Good zoomable pics.

Estimate for the five:

$20/coin (special for W submissions) + $10 handling + $27 shipping/insurance

$100 + $10 + 27 = $137.

Unsure if the $20/coin includes GS/TV. If not, add $5/coin.

The shipping/insurance went from $22 to $27 because of five coins. If it was four it’d be $22.

https://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees

Also don’t forget the “FD19” all around the shipping box. Scroll down to “Mandatory Eligibility Information.” https://www.pcgs.com/2019quarterquest?utm_source=PCGS&utm_medium=spotlight&utm_campaign=2019 Quarter Quest&utm_content=quarter_quest_2019

Let us, forumites, know how it goes when you call, please.

Still cannot figure how many Ws ATS have graded, but here’s an article on the first they graded:

“Actor Finds Valuable 2019-W Quarter, Submits it to NGC

Posted on 4/12/2019

The coin, a circulating rarity just released by the US Mint, was found in California.

The first 2019-W Quarter certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) was found by actor Shawn Pyfrom, best known for his recurring role on ABC’s popular "Desperate Housewives" series.“

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7367/first-2019-w-quarter-certified/

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Still cannot figure how many Ws ATS have graded, but here’s an article on the first they graded:

“Actor Finds Valuable 2019-W Quarter, Submits it to NGC

Posted on 4/12/2019

The coin, a circulating rarity just released by the US Mint, was found in California.

The first 2019-W Quarter certified by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®) was found by actor Shawn Pyfrom, best known for his recurring role on ABC’s popular "Desperate Housewives" series.“

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7367/first-2019-w-quarter-certified/

I can't find it in their pop reports either. I did send 7 over there that are in process. Interestingly, instead of saying "modern", the tier says "W Quarters Modern". Hopefully that means it's in a separate line and will be graded faster...but who knows.

List of when the ATB quarters will be released. @Tetromibi first posted a pic of the dates many many pages ago.

Note that the third quarter, War in the Pacific National Park, is not due to be released until 3 Jun. Gives everyone a breather and time to find the first two. :)

—————

State or Territory, Site, Release Date

Massachusetts, Lowell National Historical Park, 2/4/2019

Northern Mariana Islands, American Memorial Park, 4/1/2019

Guam, War in the Pacific National Historical Park, 6/3/2019

Texas, San Antonio Missions National Historical Park, 8/26/2019

Idaho, Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness, 11/4/2019

Data source: https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-and-medal-programs/america-the-beautiful-quarters

If I were buying these on the secondary market, I would wait for the next issue to show up on ebay before I bought the last issue. Very quick market for the flippers. The only justification for early secondary purchase at high prices is to submit for the special labels. Even then you are taking chances with quality.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

edited April 21, 2019 8:57PM

@Hemispherical said:
    List of when the ATB quarters will be released. @Tetromibi first posted a pic of the dates many many pages ago.

Note that the third quarter, War in the Pacific National Park, is not due to be released until 3 Jun. Gives everyone a breather and time to find the first two. :)

—————

Data source: https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-and-medal-programs/america-the-beautiful-quarters

The Mint website shows the following release dates for the remaining 2019 P&D ATB quarters:

Yet the PCGS Pop Report shows P&D's for the remainder of the year have already been submitted for grading.

What's up wid dat?

• CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@Hemispherical said:

—————

The Mint website shows the following release dates for the remaining 2019 P&D ATB quarters:

Yet the PCGS Pop Report shows P&D's for the entire year have already been submitted for grading.

What's up wid dat?

Mint sets have been released, yes?

Zircon Cases - Protect Your Vintage Slabs www.ZirconCases.com
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
    edited April 21, 2019 9:03PM

@CuKevin said:

They were scheduled for May 14 Release but according to mint website they are NA. Are they late to release or did they sell out that quick?

@CuKevin said:

@derryb said:

@Hemispherical said:

—————

Yet the PCGS Pop Report shows P&D's for the entire year have already been submitted for grading.

What's up wid dat?

Yes, the uncirculated ATB Mint sets have already been released.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/america-the-beautiful-quarters-2019-uncirculated-coin-set-19AA.html?cgid=2019-product-schedule

The Ws are released with the circulated ATB quarters.

@derryb said:

@CuKevin said:

They were scheduled for May 14 Release but according to mint website they are NA. Are they late to release or did they sell out that quick?

That’s the coin set: cent, dime, etc., and the final W cent (unc).

@Hemispherical said:

https://catalog.usmint.gov/america-the-beautiful-quarters-2019-uncirculated-coin-set-19AA.html?cgid=2019-product-schedule

Well, the unc. mint sets went dark awfully quick. Wonder if they are repackaging them to include unc. W's.

edited April 21, 2019 9:14PM

@Hemispherical said:

@derryb said:

@CuKevin said:

Well the 2018 Unc. Coin Set included the unc. ATB quarters. Quite sure the same goes for the suddenly unavailable 2019 Unc. Coin Set.

@derryb said:

@Hemispherical said:

Well, the unc. mint sets went dark awfully quick. Wonder if they are repackaging them to include unc. W's.

America the Beautiful Quarters 2019 Uncirculated Coin Set
    Released: 26 Mar 19, unlimited mintage and available. These are numbers in the pop report.

——-

Uncirculated Coin Set 2019
    To be released 14 May 19, unlimited mintage

https://catalog.usmint.gov/uncirculated-coin-set-2019-19RJ.html?cgid=2019-product-schedule

edited April 21, 2019 9:16PM

@derryb said:

@Hemispherical said:

@derryb said:

@CuKevin said:

Well the 2018 Unc. Coin Set included the unc. ATB quarters. Quite sure the same goes for the suddenly unavailable 2019 Unc. Coin Set.

2019 Unc coin set has not been released, yet... 14 May 19. And this is the set that will have the W unc cent.

So, last year's unc. mint set (18RJ) did include the year's five ATB quarters but this year's unc. mint set (19RJ) will not include the ATB's? Hasn't the mint always sold the unc. quarters in their own set AND included them in the annual set of all the coins?

I'm just curious about the 2019 unc. set (that would normally include the unc. ATB quarters) having been scheduled for 14 May release, yet is is still "Not Available." I'm wondering if the delay is to repackage to include the full year's unc. W ATB quarters.

edited April 21, 2019 9:54PM

@derryb said:
    So, last year's unc. mint set (18RJ) did include the year's five ATB quarters but this year's unc. mint set (19RJ) will not include the ATB's? Hasn't the mint always sold the unc. quarters in their own set AND included them in the annual set of all the coins?

I'm just curious about the 2019 unc. set (that would normally include the unc. ATB quarters) having been scheduled for 14 May release, yet is is still "Not Available." I'm wondering if the delay is to repackage to include the full year's unc. W ATB quarters.

The 2019 Unc mint set (Item Number: 19RJ) will include the ATBs along with the cent, nickel, dime, etc., and the added “bonus” of the West Point cent. It has not been released yet. It has not gone dark nor unavailable. Release date is 14 May 2019. We are still in April.

The pop report showing the ATB quarters are from the ATB Unc (Item Number: 19AA) set that was released on 26 Mar 19.

Two different sets with ATB quarters.

The West Point ATB quarters are with the circulated ATB quarters, not from the sets.

I do not see any of the two sets labeled “unavailable.”

Edit to add item numbers.

@Hemispherical said:
    We are still in April.

and there lies the problem of being retired. Usually it's just the day of the week.

@derryb said:

@Hemispherical said:
    We are still in April.

and there lies the problem of being retired. Usually it's just the day of the week.

Absolutely know the feeling.

I still wear a wrist watch. Not necessarily to just check the time. ;):)

@pitboss said:
    I intend to call cs on Monday morning and figure out what to do. Just joined PCGS after not using them since the 07/08 eagle thing. I have no reservations about their grading and just picked out the best five I could find with hits on Washington being my first priority.

I sent these W's in to our host today for grading. They were the best I had out of 120 coins .

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pitboss said:

@pitboss said:

I sent these W's in to our host today for grading. They were the best I had out of 120 coins .

Probably should have sent all in with what they are selling for graded

@pitboss said:

@pitboss said:

What's that on the reverse (near the date) of the top left coin?

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm waiting to get one in change...

@derryb said:

@pitboss said:

@pitboss said:

What's that on the reverse (near the date) of the top left coin?

Easter just passed so I will gamble
    it’s a piece of chocolate bunny. :D

@asheland said:
    I'm waiting to get one in change...

Same.

Got plenty of non-W quarters in change now. Next drive through I’m paying in quarters. ;)

Pop report should be updated soon and we’ll see what’s been graded on Monday.

@Tetromibi said:

No “early find” Lowell’s in the numbers, yet.

• direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

My order has been pending with pcgs for a week.

The order just states processing.

I did confirm with customer service that they were recieved before deadline and order is good for first week pedigree.

Every day I keep hoping to see grades, but it will prob be the max 15 business days I am starting to think.

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

What is the cutoff date for the American Memorial Park for the first week grading at PCGS?

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2019 7:14AM

@direwolf1972 said:

Every day I keep hoping to see grades, but it will prob be the max 15 business days I am starting to think.

Where did you read its 15 business days? I was told by CS its going to be 30 days ?!

edited April 23, 2019 7:30AM

@direwolf1972 said:

I did confirm with customer service that they were recieved before deadline and order is good for first week pedigree.

My (edit: modern)grades have been posting on average of 12 calendar days from the "date received". Often, several submissions that I sent out days or a week apart will be all graded on the same day. No guarantee, but it's been fairly quick lately.

That can/will change depending on shows/# coins submitted/etc.

Last day is tomorrow, 24th, so if you got ‘em get them to the PO NLT
    then tomorrow (ensure the date/time stamp/sticker is correct. Good luck!

I'll be sending in 5 tomorrow.

There sure have not been many found from what I can see. Most of the ones found will be going in for grading.

@Tetromibi said:

@direwolf1972 said:

My (edit: modern)grades have been posting on average of 12 calendar days from the "date received". Often, several submissions that I sent out days or a week apart will be all graded on the same day. No guarantee, but it's been fairly quick lately.

That can/will change depending on shows/# coins submitted/etc.

The stat average is now 20 days (previously it was at 30) for modern. I must admit I never had a modern take that long. Had a few that had me wondering, but that usually occurred when there is some big show going on. Hmm... when is that Central States show? Uh oh!

https://www.pcgs.com/Statistics/

First Lowell 67 has been made.

@Tetromibi said:

For some reason I do not see it on the pop or CF.

Ah, it’s yours!? Congrats!

CONGRATULATIONS!

I bought 5 of the American Memorable park w's today and got $48.00 in ebay bucks. That was a good deal I did not even expect.

@Tetromibi said:

Contrats!

I was hoping I could say it... it wont be the first if one of mine goes now but still hoping for a 67 out of my batch.

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

@Tetromibi said:

Just out of curiosity. What day does it show they put your order in the system? Mine was logged in by pcgs on the 18th.

Same, but I had 8 coins. You have about 11 zillion if I remember right ;)

edited April 23, 2019 4:08PM

@direwolf1972 said:

@Tetromibi said:

Contrats!

I was hoping I could say it... it wont be the first if one of mine goes now but still hoping for a 67 out of my batch

I think with a giant order like yours you have a chance. Did you screen them at all?

On the bay, first week of discovery pedigree:

BIN

66 for $1449
    65 for $649

The description of the 66, “To date MS66 is highest grade awarded by PCGS” will need to be updated when the pop updates with the 67.

@Hemispherical said:
    On the bay, first week of discovery pedigree:

BIN

66 for $1449
    65 for $649

The description of the 66, “To date MS66 is highest grade awarded by PCGS” will need to be updated when the pop updates with the 67.

The prices should go down as well. I don’t plan on listing mine quite that high.

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tetromibi said:

The Man, Congrat's! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file