Home U.S. Coin Forum

W mint mark quarter - and the PCGS early find contest

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 said:
    I have witnessed the greed of some modern coin dealers on many occasions in the past and the efforts they take to get what they want and get their profits.

I have no doubt that some will find a way to game the system and obtain quantity of these W mint quarters to be able to sell to their customers at extraordinary prices.

yep, capitalism sucks.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten It is weird. I have W on the mind, too. ;):D

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Is anyone finding a large quantity of the American Memorial coins yet?

@pitboss said:
    Is anyone finding a large quantity of the American Memorial coins yet?

Have not seen/read any large amounts for sale. Did notice that there are many more slabbed Ws that are up for sale.

I suspect most "First Week of Discovery" eligible American Memorial coins have been graded. Pop shows a total of 267 of them vs. 2,245 Lowell "First Week of Discovery." Still a whole lot of American Memorial coins yet to be discovered.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

Opened a box last week that was nothing but virgin, brand new 2017 Ozark Riverways. Had obviously been sitting on a shelf for the past two years. Possible that any of the new National Park boxes sit on the shelf for a while.

I guess we are getting down to the bottom of what banks have on hand. The banks are replenishing their stocks but unfortunately is with the junk quarters we have brought back so who knows when we will start to get more coins with the W's in them.

edited May 6, 2019 7:53AM

Based on pops, sellers who are pricing their American Memorial W's based pm Lowell W prices are shooting themselves in the foot. Buyers who can get the AM W's at Lowell W prices are likely getting a bargain.

Wish I could find some American Memorials right now with the 10% ebay bucks but no one has any yet.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I the last person to find one or what? I just found these two Lowells in 5 rolls from HEB. Interestingly, the rest of the coins were the Denver American Memorials and in Loomis rolls.

I'll be headed back there more later today.

edited May 6, 2019 10:32AM

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I just found these two Lowells in 5 rolls from HEB. Interestingly, the rest of the coins were the Denver American Memorials and in Loomis rolls.

Because the Lowell P & D coins had already shipped from the mint when the mint came up with the W program, the Lowell Ws were "salted" into ballistic bags of P & D American Memorials along with the American Memorial Ws.

• earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

I love the fact that an example in a Genuine / scratched holder is being offered on eBay.

Potentially unique, and could have far higher value as 65-67s sink into the mire.

Could it be the Only modern coin in a genuine holder?

There were lots of boxes of the American Memorial that had Lowell W's in them but no Am Men W's in them.
    Where are they planning to put them?

@pitboss said:
    There were lots of boxes of the American Memorial that had Lowell W's in them but no Am Men W's in them.

Good question, where else could they put them?

@earlycoins said:
    I love the fact that an example in a Genuine / scratched holder is being offered on eBay.

Potentially unique, and could have far higher value as 65-67s sink into the mire.

Pretty sure that is from a fellow forumite.

@Hemispherical said:

@earlycoins said:

Pretty sure that is from a fellow

Love it. A new world.

@CoinscratchFever said:

@pitboss said:

Good question, where else could they put them?

They must be going to put them in the with the rest of the Am Mem. Thats the only place I can think of. The first batch of W's was quite prolific in the first batch of Am Mem's.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@earlycoins said:

Nah, cause any of those 65-67 coins could easily become a genuine/scratched coin if someone was really stupid enough to pay more for that.

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @derryb said:

I suspect most "First Week of Discovery" eligible American Memorial coins have been graded. Pop shows a total of 267 of them vs. 2,245 Lowell "First Week of Discovery." Still a whole lot of American Memorial coins yet to be discovered.

I have 5 first week coins still in for grading. It wouldn’t surprise me to see a ton show up.

Something like 1500 Lowell’s showed up overnight that one day.

Went back to HEB and found 9 more in 13 more rolls. At least they will make the Early Find pedigree and hopefully some good grades.

I just picked up 4 more boxes and the first one I opened is solid Amer Men.

@pitboss said:

W?

Lowell’s have 18 and American Memorial’s have 25 days left for the “Early Find” pedigree slabs.

@Hemispherical said:

@pitboss said:

W? I got 26 Lowell W's and 1 ender from the first box. All the other 3 are Amer Men too.

• mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

@earlycoins said:

Great coin, you know you want it.

At least it’s being offered for what it is - an honest eBay seller. The truly fun examples are those with pops in the thousands in 64-65, drifting down to hundreds in 66-67.

And the offering is for that “unique, exceedingly rare,” 58, with a pop of 1.

And it sells, probably as an investment, to a 93 year-old great-grandmother, as a gift for a child, hoping it may someday pay for college.

HELP! I'm in the middle of an online order and when I list the W Lowells the cost is popping up as 35.00 each rather than 20.00. Do I need to submit these separately or in writing?

Nevermind, just got off the phone and they said I need to select the modern instead of regular and submit separately...

Well, got my second and third boxes today of nothing but brand new shiny 2017 Ozark Riverway quarters. Hope the 2019 W's aren't gonna sit on the bank shelf for two more years.

edited May 7, 2019 2:54PM

Graded "First Week of Discovery" Mariana's still running about 12% of the Lowell total. Where are the Mariana's?

Anyone here still awaiting grading on the "First Week" Mariana's? Suspect most of them have been graded, deadline for submission expired 13 days ago.

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're all over ebay now. Won't be first week, but plenty will be graded soon enough.

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Nevermind, just got off the phone and they said I need to select the modern instead of regular and submit separately...

If your using the online submission form there is no $20 modern option (unless there’s been an update).

Use the PDF version of the submission form and you can make changes to the $$ values and it’ll recalculate automatically.

2c

@Hemispherical said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

If your using the online submission form there is no $20 modern option (unless there’s been an update).

Use the PDF version of the submission form and you can make changes to the $$ values and it’ll recalculate automatically.

2c

Well, she said it would recalculate or they would do so when it arrived and said to write FD-19 in the comments of the online submission. So, I wonder how many scratches a coin has to have before it grades UNC Details? Because I have 20 Lowells I'm about to send off and some have one or two marks only but most have several. My thinking is early finds = more value down the road.

edited May 7, 2019 3:52PM

@derryb said:
    Well, got my second and third boxes today of nothing but brand new shiny 2017 Ozark Riverway quarters. Hope the 2019 W's aren't gonna sit on the bank shelf for two more years.

Update:
    Appears the shiny new 2017 Ozarks recently got rolled. Spot checked a few rolls and found three Lowell W's and a number of Lowell P's and a couple of Mariana P's. Appears the unrolled Ozark bag sat in storage and recently got rolled?

Just when I thought I was through for the day.

@CoinscratchFever said:

Well, she said it would recalculate or they would do so when it arrived and said to write FD-19 in the comments of the online submission. So, I wonder how many scratches a coin has to have before it grades UNC Details? Because I have 20 Lowells I'm about to send off and some have one or two marks only but most have several. My thinking is early finds = more value down the road.

The online submission will recalculate but not use then $20 special for the W’s but they’ll fix what error you make. Just slows down YOUR submission. (J/K Do not know if it slows it down... but...)

I’d say probably... about the value. The W’s not found early will see more circulation and getting any MS grade will be tougher unless they’ve been sitting in a bank’s vault.

As for scratches, no idea, but @mas3387 may have some insight.

@derryb said:

Update:
    Appears the shiny new 2017 Ozarks recently got rolled. Spot checked a few rolls and found three Lowell W's and a number of Lowell P's and a couple of Mariana P's. Appears the unrolled Ozark bag sat in storage and recently got rolled?

Thanks for the heads-up @derryb. So now the W’s are starting to get mixed in the overall quarter population. This is going to make it a bit harder to find, i.e., need to check everything instead of certain shiny ender rolls.

—————

OT: If your collecting the Apollo coins, the joint US and Royal Australian Mint’s set is now available, more detail in the Apollo thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12319313/#Comment_12319313

@Hemispherical said:

@derryb said:

Update:

Thanks for the heads-up @derryb. So now the W’s are starting to get mixed in the overall quarter population. This is going to make it a bit harder to find, i.e., need to check everything instead of certain shiny ender rolls.

I believe this is an anomaly as the Ozarks were minted in 2017 but somehow didn't get rolled until recently. The only way to explain the presence of 2019 coins mixed in with them. I will note that the 2017's looked brand new and aside from the few Lowells and Mariana's there were no other coins mixed with them. It's Like someone stood at the rolling machine and sprinkled a few 2019's in with the Ozarks, or just tossed them into a monster bag of Ozarks that never got rolled. At any rate, keep an eye on any "new" rolls of Ozarks you come across in your box search.

@hemispherical . I'm totally geeking out now, Ye! :# Too many shiny coins. I ordered these last week out of desperation to find the W. And a decent half. I suppose hindsight would have ordered a mint set. Then o'course I find 20 W's at HEB this week.

edited May 7, 2019 4:07PM

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @hemispherical . I'm totally geeking out now, Ye! :# Too many shiny coins. I ordered these last week out of desperation to find the W. And a decent half. I suppose hindsight would have ordered a mint set. Then o'course I find 20 W's at HEB this week.

Well the good thing is that they’re shiny quarters, but it was put out by the Mint the only way to get the W’s is via circulation. They are not putting any in sets or bags, etc.

Is that a blue Kennedy?

Edit to add:

“General commerce will be the only way collectors and the public will be able to obtain examples of the West Point Mint quarter dollar strikes, as the U.S. Mint will not be offering these coins as a numismatic product in 40-coin rolls or any other quantity.”

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2019/04/us-mint-strikes-west-point-quarters-for-circulation.html

CoinscratchFever, I hate to be the bearer of bad news:

W quarters are not being inserted into any of the products purchased directly from the mint. They are only being inserted in the bulk "ballistic" bags being delivered to federal reserve branch banks for rolling/distribution to local banks via local armored car carriers.

@Hemispherical said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

Well the good thing is that they’re shiny quarters, but it was put out by the Mint the only way to get the W’s is via circulation. They are not putting any in sets or bags, etc.

Yea, I know I read that too but like I said...Besides it was my first order from the coin Gods so I'm cool with it. They will be finding their way to the coinstar next to the service desk at HEB tomorrow B)

@CoinscratchFever

Sell the unopened bags.

Use the loose quarters to buy your favorite drink.

Just an idea or two to cut any losses.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical sai
    OT: If your collecting the Apollo coins, the joint US and Royal Australian Mint’s set is now available, more detail in the Apollo thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12319313/#Comment_12319313

Thanks - got my order in

@derryb Yes, I was aware of that I just acted out of desperation. Besides it wouldn't have been the first time the mint made an error :D

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2019 5:08PM

What is HEB?

Derryb-
    My coin courier is throwing another curve to this hunt. My reported lone Lowell W from 2 weeks ago was from a mixed rolls of new /circulated quarters.

Go figure.

@hemisherical I'm already having a cold one. So, the story gets better not only did I pay 140.00 for 100.00 worth of halves and the Coinstar will eat another 12% tomorrow but, I did it on a 26% interest credit card :D Bartender hit me again. The blue was a reflection of the skies through the window.

@sweetpie > HEB is a grocery store that does a ton of business.

@Sweetpie said:
    What is HEB?

Derryb-
    My coin courier is throwing another curve to this hunt. My reported lone Lowell W from 2 weeks ago was from a mixed rolls of new /circulated quarters.

Go figure.

Chances are that W got into circulation and ended up back at the carrier to be rolled once again, this time with everything else. Came across the same thing myself.

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @hemisherical I'm already having a cold one. So, the story gets better not only did I pay 140.00 for 100.00 worth of halves and the Coinstar will eat another 12% tomorrow but, I did it on a 26% interest credit card :D Bartender hit me again. The blue was a reflection of the skies through the window.

Well that’s a cool reflection off a Kennedy!

Hope your getting cash back on that CC. :o

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file