W mint mark quarter - and the PCGS early find contest

«13456715

Comments

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2019 5:55AM

    Now this is interesting. Thanks for the info @ricko!

    Excerpts:

    “In total, the West Point Mint will strike 10 million quarters that will be mixed into bulk bags of quarters at the Philadelphia and Denver Mints. In early April, the first of the W mint mark quarters will be shipped and distributed to banks and financial institutions by the Federal Reserve. The coins will likely begin to appear in circulation within four to six weeks and will be available throughout 2019.”

    “The America the Beautiful Quarters to be released in 2019 will honor Lowell National Historic Park (Massachusetts), American Memorial Park (Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands), War in the Pacific National Historic Park (Guam), San Antonio Mission National Historical Park (Texas), and the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness (Idaho). Beyond the ten million W mint mark quarters, the Mint will produce additional coins as usual at the Philadelphia and Denver Mint facilities to meet the demands of commerce.”

  • mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have mixed feelings about this. It is too subtle to attract much interest other than from people already looking. So, while it would seem like a harmless attempt at generating some interest, I think it is unlikely to generate much enthusiasm from anyone who isn't already a collector. BUT...

    1. How many collectors are going to buy boxes of quarters from banks to search?
    2. If they truly are going into circulation channels, are they creating a potential condition rarity (5 rarities)? This, of course, depends on what happens in #1.
    3. Will "insiders" end up getting multiple boxes of quarters before they hit circulation?
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

    So @ricko actually your headline should be Five 2019 W Mintmark Quarters!

    Kind regards,

    George

    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • rickoricko Posts: 66,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf ....All good points...and looking at distribution information (in link above) I will have little chance of getting any from a bank.... I wish I knew an 'insider'.... >:) No such luck... Cheers, RickO

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Awsome! Thanks @William!

    Extracted from the above:

    “Circulating rarities head to circulation: Quarters with the W Mint mark”

    “We have the list of cities that will be the first to get the new coins”

    By Paul Gilkes , Coin World
    Published : 04/02/19

    “The April 1 coin destinations were:

    Colorado Denver

    Florida Jacksonville Miami Orlando Pensacola

    Georgia Atlanta

    Illinois Chicago

    Indiana Indianapolis

    Kentucky Louisville

    Louisiana Shreveport

    Massachusetts Boston

    Maryland Baltimore Beltsville

    Michigan Detroit

    Minnesota Minneapolis

    Mississippi Jacksonville

    Missouri Kansas City St. Louis

    Montana Helena

    New Mexico Albuquerque

    New York New York City

    North Carolina Charlotte

    Ohio Cincinnati Tallmadge

    Pennsylvania Pittsburgh

    Tennessee Memphis Nashville

    Texas Dallas Houston San Antonio

    Utah Salt Lake City

    Virginia Richmond

    Washington Seattle

    For the remainder of April, destination locations are:

    Alabama Birmingham

    Arizona Phoenix

    California Los Angeles Oakland Ontario

    Colorado Denver

    Florida Jacksonville Miami Orlando Pensacola

    Georgia Atlanta

    Illinois Chicago

    Indiana Indianapolis

    Iowa Davenport Des Moines

    Kentucky Louisville

    Louisiana New Orleans Shreveport

    Massachusetts Boston

    Maryland Baltimore Beltsville Nottingham

    Michigan Detroit

    Minnesota Minneapolis

    Mississippi Jackson

    Missouri Kansas City St. Louis

    Nebraska Omaha

    Nevada Las Vegas

    New Mexico Albuquerque

    New York New York City

    North Carolina Charlotte Morrisville

    Ohio Cincinnati Tallmadge

    Pennsylvania Pittsburgh

    Tennessee Memphis Nashville

    Texas Houston San Antonio

    Virginia Richmond

    Wisconsin Milwaukee”

  • rickoricko Posts: 66,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @giorgio11 ... Very true... When I posted, although I had read the release, I was only thinking about adding to my W coin set.... and yes, the first one I find will go in the set... then maybe get the other four - somehow. Cheers, RickO

  • mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

    He is HOLDING IT WITH HIS FINGERS !!!!! 😱

  • LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

    And the hunt is on.

  • kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 401 ✭✭✭

    If the bags are equally mixed and distributed to the destinations, it seems like Florida has better odds. True?

  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2019 8:15AM

    I better get to an ATM, 'cause I can see many a cash transactions in the future... :wink:

    Edit: So these will be both Lowell and American Memorial?

  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭✭

    My home town is listed. Too bad I don't live there any more, 100 miles away. Don't have any coin connections there.

    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

    imageimage
  • jedmjedm Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Cool and thanks for the heads up @ricko !

  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BryceM said:
    It would be far more interesting & exciting if they minted only 10,000 of them. At that level, if they were mixed in well, they’d have a possibility of actually being valuable & encorage people to look at their change again.

    I agree. But with around 10 million or so minted in todays environment of sky high circulation mintages, the "W" quarter will be a very scarce find.

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 19,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2019 9:02AM

    I liked the cereal box distribution method ;)

  • JBKJBK Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2019 9:07AM

    It's not 10 million, its 2 million each of 5 designs.

    There will be a run on quarters at the bank. Including me...

    If they do get a good mix in the bags and they get into circulation then there will be condition rarities for sure.

  • TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2019 10:02AM
  • mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Who will be the first to put together a P01 set?

  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Here in Ohio Tallmadge is only a few miles away. I'll be on the lookout for them.

  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭✭

    Interesting, but I won't be seeing any my direction from the looks of it. I am sure they will be available after the hype settles out.

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @OldMaster said:
    Too bad the Mint made this announcement in advance; better to let the hobby and/or general public discover these W-dated quarters on their own throughout the course of the year.

    Sure, because when one turned up and no one knew how many there were some lucky person would get to spend $1000 for a coin they thought was unique but ended up being 1 of 2 million.

  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @JBK said:
    It's not 10 million, its 2 million each of 5 designs.

    There will be a run on quarters at the bank. Including me...

    If they do get a good mix in the bags and they get into circulation then there will be condition rarities for sure.

    You are indeed correct. I got the total per coin wrong.

    WOW..........that's even a better deal.

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 19,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

    ill be on the look out as well. itll be fun, best wishes

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BackroadJunkie said:
    I better get to an ATM, 'cause I can see many a cash transactions in the future... :wink:

    Edit: So these will be both Lowell and American Memorial?

    Lowell National Historic Park (Massachusetts)

    American Memorial Park (Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands)

    War in the Pacific National Historic Park (Guam)

    San Antonio Mission National Historical Park (Texas)

    Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness (Idaho)

  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭✭

    None near me.

    Many happy BST transactions
  • DotStoreDotStore Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

    The 2017 "P" Penny was cool for a little while. But there were too many of them (imho). Is 2 Million of each quarter too many?

  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭✭

    Great, my Dansco album which already had to be supplemented with another because of the S uncirculated quarters and enhanced coins will even be more out of date!

    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • KnellKnell Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

    Wow! Las Vegas Nevada is on the list. My sister works for Bank of America but I never asked her to look for coins or currency. I think they handle the money that comes from casinos and they do not handle a face to face customer service. Maybe this will be the first time I will ask her for a favor and get/find me the 2019 quarter coin rolls. Good luck to all.

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Change from restaurant today...


    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Flipped
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    :|

  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DotStore said:
    The 2017 "P" Penny was cool for a little while. But there were too many of them (imho). Is 2 Million of each quarter too many?

    They will be touted on venues like ebay as rarities. The mintage IS quite low compared to other non-proof, non-commemorative issues of the last several decades. The mintage is similar to the 1950-D Jefferson 5c but there's no chance of hoarding by the thousands of rolls like the nickel was.

  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2019 11:02AM

    @DotStore said:
    The 2017 "P" Penny was cool for a little while. But there were too many of them (imho). Is 2 Million of each quarter too many?

    2 million will put it in the same arena as the 1950-D nickel...without full steps. Going for ~$5 in mint condition. BUT, they'll be much higher than that for the next 6 months!

  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Will have to wait for them to percolate down from Chicago.

    Collector, occasional seller

  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 19,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • JBKJBK Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @drei3ree said:

    @DotStore said:
    The 2017 "P" Penny was cool for a little while. But there were too many of them (imho). Is 2 Million of each quarter too many?

    2 million will put it in the same arena as the 1950-D nickel...without full steps. Going for ~$5 in mint condition. BUT, they'll be much higher than that for the next 6 months!

    One huge difference is that the nickels were hoarded at the time of issuance in bags and rolls. The W quarters will be randomly seeded in huge bags from the mint so the vast majority will presumably make it to circulation.

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @JBK said:

    @drei3ree said:

    @DotStore said:
    The 2017 "P" Penny was cool for a little while. But there were too many of them (imho). Is 2 Million of each quarter too many?

    2 million will put it in the same arena as the 1950-D nickel...without full steps. Going for ~$5 in mint condition. BUT, they'll be much higher than that for the next 6 months!

    One huge difference is that the nickels were hoarded at the time of issuance in bags and rolls. The W quarters will be randomly seeded in huge bags from the mint so the vast majority will presumably make it to circulation.

    I imagine thousands of them will be hoarded because thousands (tens of thousands) will get pulled out by the first handlers - much like error coins.

  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Hey, how about a FIRST FOUND Label.... B)

  • JBKJBK Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @JBK said:

    @drei3ree said:

    @DotStore said:
    The 2017 "P" Penny was cool for a little while. But there were too many of them (imho). Is 2 Million of each quarter too many?

    2 million will put it in the same arena as the 1950-D nickel...without full steps. Going for ~$5 in mint condition. BUT, they'll be much higher than that for the next 6 months!

    One huge difference is that the nickels were hoarded at the time of issuance in bags and rolls. The W quarters will be randomly seeded in huge bags from the mint so the vast majority will presumably make it to circulation.

    I imagine thousands of them will be hoarded because thousands (tens of thousands) will get pulled out by the first handlers - much like error coins.

    If they are seeded into bags of 10s of thousands of coins shipped from the mint I just don't see how large scale hoarding can occur, but we will see.

    As for errors, I assumed those spit out of the counting/rolling machines so no real searching is necessary.

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DotStore said:
    The 2017 "P" Penny was cool for a little while. But there were too many of them (imho). Is 2 Million of each quarter too many?

    Using the Mint’s 2018 Annual report 1,895 million (1,895,000,000) 25c circulated quarters were shipped.

    So 10,000,000 of 1,895,000,000 is ~0.005% or 1/2 of 1% for all five W ATB quarters versus the total quarter mintage. Or, ~0.001%, 1/10 of 1% for each of the five ATB quarter.

    And I suspect mintage for quarters for 2019 will go up, in part, because of the W release as many will start searching/hoarding quarters for awhile.

    My 2 - 2019-W cents.

    Good luck to all... back to CRH!

  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Hemispherical said:

    @BackroadJunkie said:
    I better get to an ATM, 'cause I can see many a cash transactions in the future... :wink:

    Edit: So these will be both Lowell and American Memorial?

    Lowell National Historic Park (Massachusetts)

    American Memorial Park (Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands)

    War in the Pacific National Historic Park (Guam)

    San Antonio Mission National Historical Park (Texas)

    Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness (Idaho)

    Actually read the article. No, it is only Lowell and American Memorial Park:

    Two million coins each of all five 2019-W America the Beautiful quarter dollars are being struck for release into general circulation for the public to locate in commerce. Two 2019-W coins are already heading to circulation in selected cities nationwide and should be in circulation in a month or so.

    The first wave of the first two 2019-W quarter dollars, one commemorating Lowell National Historical Park and the other American Memorial Park, were being shipped April 1 to select cities in 29 states. The coins will likely begin to appear in circulation within four to six weeks, according to U.S. Mint officials.

    War in the Pacific, San Antonio Missions and No Return will be released later.

    It is only Lowell and American Memorial being released right now.

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BackroadJunkie said:

    @Hemispherical said:

    @BackroadJunkie said:
    I better get to an ATM, 'cause I can see many a cash transactions in the future... :wink:

    Edit: So these will be both Lowell and American Memorial?

    Lowell National Historic Park (Massachusetts)

    American Memorial Park (Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands)

    War in the Pacific National Historic Park (Guam)

    San Antonio Mission National Historical Park (Texas)

    Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness (Idaho)

    Actually read the article. No, it is only Lowell and American Memorial Park:

    Two million coins each of all five 2019-W America the Beautiful quarter dollars are being struck for release into general circulation for the public to locate in commerce. Two 2019-W coins are already heading to circulation in selected cities nationwide and should be in circulation in a month or so.

    The first wave of the first two 2019-W quarter dollars, one commemorating Lowell National Historical Park and the other American Memorial Park, were being shipped April 1 to select cities in 29 states. The coins will likely begin to appear in circulation within four to six weeks, according to U.S. Mint officials.

    War in the Pacific, San Antonio Missions and No Return will be released later.

    It is only Lowell and American Memorial being released right now.

    Agree. Makes it even harder to find.

  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭

    DANG IT!!! Figures they'd spring this one on me when our folders only have holes for "P" & "D" mints! Plus, being near Philly, kinda disappointed we weren't earmarked for their initial release. Guss I'll have to rely on luck or relatives finding some out in Colorado, Florida, or Texas. But I won't kill myself searching for them - - I'll just figure it out if & when I ever see one....... They must be hurting for things to do in West Point. :/

  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2019 1:09PM

    2 million of each design......... way too common to ever be rare. There are a similar number of pixels within the display of an iPhone 7s. Take a look with your loupe sometime. ;)

    Said differently, there will be 50 of each W-mint quarter design for every double-die 1955 cent ever made, and these weren’t even noticed until already in circulation a while.

  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭✭

    @Hemispherical said:

    @DotStore said:
    The 2017 "P" Penny was cool for a little while. But there were too many of them (imho). Is 2 Million of each quarter too many?

    Using the Mint’s 2018 Annual report 1,895 million (1,895,000,000) 25c circulated quarters were shipped.

    So 10,000,000 of 1,895,000,000 is ~0.005% or 1/2 of 1% for all five W ATB quarters versus the total quarter mintage. Or, ~0.001%, 1/10 of 1% for each of the five ATB quarter.

    And I suspect mintage for quarters for 2019 will go up, in part, because of the W release as many will start searching/hoarding quarters for awhile.

    My 2 - 2019-W cents.

    Good luck to all... back to CRH!

    That is doable. Sort through $500 of new quarters and maybe pick up a couple Ws at face value. I would play the game if I had the option.

Sign In or Register to comment.