Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This is a Mint Ballistic Bag

Not many get to see these up close so I thought I would share. These are the bags that the mint sends out to be rolled.

Guam Quarters - $50K bag

Sealed

Quarters opened to look inside

other side view

Pennies inside view

Comments

• Options
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Holy Cow - those are definitely *ballistic* in nature!!! Forklift anyone??
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    A man could do a lot of laundry with quarters like that.
  • Options
    I was thinking more like a great day in Vegas with that bag of Quartersimage

Thanks for the pic's

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had an empty one of these here in my office
    since 2002, and have seen them being filled with
    coins on the floor of the Philadelphia Mint...........

They look like a numismatic "Jabba the Hutt", when
    filled !
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity, how much does that weigh?
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>Just out of curiosity, how much does that weigh? >>

I think its like 3400 lbs. For the pennies you have about $4000 face, or 160 $25 boxes
  • Options
    Are those the 2008 memorial cents going out at the same time as the Guam quarters?
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options

the pennies equal (160) 50 roll boxes.

so you would think the quarters would weigh more, but I think the quarter bags have less
    coins in them, but not sure.

they must weigh at least 2000 pounds or more......
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Was this delivered Today! image

How'd you do that??? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow...impressive stats!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just out of curiosity, how much does that weigh? >>

I think its like 3400 lbs. For the pennies you have about $4000 face, or 160 $25 boxes >>

400,000 cents at 2.5 grams each
    = 1,000,000 grams
    or one metric tonne
    or 1,000 kilos
    or approx. 2,200 English pounds.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    do they send the coins out for mint wrapped rolls, or do they roll them on sight?
    figglehorn
  • Options
    MPLunaticMPLunatic Posts: 617 ✭✭
    Are those from your personal collection image
  • Options
    coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302
    Did you count them to make sure they're all there? It looks like you're a few short. image
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭

Thanks for the photos.

One box of quarters, $500, weighs 25 lbs.
    One hundred boxes, $50,000, would weigh approximately 2500 lbs.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clackamas,

Did you make your wife go get a job there or something? Or, are you moonlighting? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Everyone's expecting this question - did you check them all out for DDR?
    Paul
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pix.

<< <i>A man could do a lot of laundry with quarters like that. >>

Lol.

The only problem is that it wasn't so very long ago that you could
    do a weeks worth of laundry for just a couple of those quarters.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

I can see just how those ballistic bags got their name. Here’s some 16" (40.6 cm) powder bags and projectile during open house aboard USS New Jersey BB-62 in 1968

U.S. Navy Photograph
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the photos.

One hundred boxes, $50,000, would weigh approximately 2500 lbs. >>

Correct but you need to throw in the weight of that metal support stand which is what they use to haul these around with.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

Correct but you need to throw in the weight of that metal support stand which is what they use to haul these around with. >>

Yep, its a big metal pallet with sides. They do lift the bags off of the pallet with a fork lift, you can see the big blue straps that the forks go through, then they open the bags from the bottom and let the coins pour into the bins for rolling. Its pretty cool to watch. This is also where you really start to see the how coins, especially quarters, get so marked up. The top coins in the bags probably average MS65 with many 67's and a handful of 8's.
  • Options
    I would happily search every one of those bags I could get my grubby hands on... image
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would happily search every one of those bags I could get my grubby hands on... image >>

wow!
    Paul
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    Ya learn somethin' new everyday!

Thanks for sharing Clackamas!

TC
  • Options
    <<wow! >>

I know. image

Imagine all the cool finds waiting to be discovered in them...
  • Options

<< <i>Yep, its a big metal pallet with sides. They do lift the bags off of the pallet with a fork lift, you can see the big blue straps that the forks go through, then they open the bags from the bottom and let the coins pour into the bins for rolling. >>

I cringe at the thought!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

I can see just how those ballistic bags got their name. Here’s some 16" (40.6 cm) powder bags and projectile during open house aboard USS New Jersey BB-62 in 1968

U.S. Navy Photograph >>

DEFINITELY a no-smoking area!!!!!!!
    LOL
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    did you suggest they open them from the top and feed them in one at a time?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>did you suggest they open them from the top and feed them in one at a time? >>

I offered to do that but I am too slow, plus I would pocket too many of them and the guys with the guns around me frown upon that.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you are skimming these from a bank somewhere in Oregon?
  • Options
    ResRes Posts: 1,086

<< <i>

>>

I thought it was because they were made out of ballistic nylon. I don't know if they are or not.
  • Options

<< <i>I would happily search every one of those bags I could get my grubby hands on... image >>

So thats why your called stinkinlincoln, cause your hands stink.

Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

I thought it was because they were made out of ballistic nylon. I don't know if they are or not. >>

I have no real idea, I was offering a visual of a ballistic powder charge, very similar to the size and shape of the mint coin sack. Maybe we can get this cleared up once and for all.

Any takers?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    <<So thats why your called stinkinlincoln, cause your hands stink.>>

Yes sir. image The g/f says my hands always smell like fish and pennies. Then I scold her for saying pennies. 'Its cents' I say. She doesnt care. Its an endless cycle. image
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    imageRIP
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

Correct! @ 5.7g ea. 200,000 coins weighs in at 2,300 lbs. +/- a few lbs.

The standard wooden pallet would break under 3,400 lbs.

image Pics!
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    Thank you for posting this, clackamas. Very cool. i'd heard of ballistic bags before but sort of wrote them off as an urban legend.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file