Home Sports Talk
Options

Philadelphia Phillies 2019 season official thread

Comments

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

June...the cruelest month for this team.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ernie11 said:
    June...the cruelest month for this team.

Yea, known as a June swoon. :/

• Options

Phillies Just not looking like a contender right now.

Harper batting leadoff? These are convoluted panic decisions that get managers fired.

• Options

Pasted:

The Philadelphia Phillies put outfielder Bryce Harper into the leadoff spot for Thursday night's game against the Washington Nationals in hopes of putting a spark back into the top of their lineup.

Harper went 1-for-5 with three strikeouts in the Phillies' 7-4 loss. Cleanup hitter Rhys Hoskins was moved up to the No. 2 slot in the order and went 0-for-4 with a strikeout.

"The thought process is, we feel like we're a more successful club when we see pitches in the first inning,'' manager Gabe Kapler said before the game.

He insisted it had nothing to do with Harper's 4-for-24 struggle over the previous eight games, noting, "This was designed to spark the Philadelphia Phillies.''

• Options

"The thought process is, we feel like we're a more successful club when we see pitches in the first inning,'' manager Gabe Kapler said before the game.

I know there are some knowledgeable baseball geniuses on here with extremely high IQ's, possibly higher than Einstein or Tesla. So if someone, anyone, can explain or interpret the above comment, I would really appreciate it with all my heart, and be forever grateful.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they should move the Philly's to the Philippines and call them the Manilla Folders! :oB)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Maybe they should move the Philly's to the Philippines and call them the Manilla Folders! :oB)

That's very unfunny. 😒

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

That's very unfunny. 😒

:)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

That's very unfunny. 😒

And also I don't like these emojis any longer.

Except for this one. 😒

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

That's very unfunny. 😒

Except for this one. 😒

You know I'm a Cub fan and anybody that plays the Philly's. ;)B)>:)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

That's very unfunny. 😒

Except for this one. 😒

You know I'm a Cub fan and anybody that plays the Philly's. ;)B)>:)

Now I don't like Ernie Banks. 😒

• Options

Well we played tough tonight at home with enthusiasm, timely hitting, and no errors, but losing to the Marlins. No problem because after all, the Marlins are by far the best team in MLB this season, and one of the greatest teams of all time. 😒

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't had much to say, but we did hire Connie Mack's brother as our pitching coach yesterday...as a player his first manager was born in 1896...and no, I'm not embellishing about that, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    I haven't had much to say, but we did hire Connie Mack's brother as our pitching coach yesterday...as a player his first manager was born in 1896...and no, I'm not embellishing about that, LOL..

I suspect someone in the Mets front office acquired many thousands of Phil Regan baseball cards, and hired him as a pitching coach hoping that move would immediately spike the value of the cards.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cought some of the game and im not taking sides with this statement. How can a Professinal , Major Leauge,
    Star. Batter, and all around precence on the bench, and allowed to sit back on the bench after the most tought and stressed
    (in Profesional Tee Ball) by the Childrens firist coach in baseball,,,, DO NOT PASS THE OTHER TEAMMATE WHEN RUNNING THE BASES>
    There got that off my chest now i can relax.
    HIT THE SHOWERS AND DONT SIT ON MY BENCH - But thats just me venting. Did anyone else see the the the, ya That.

• Options

Pretty soon we may be talking about the 3rd place Phillies, Nats win their 5th in a row.

• Options

@ernie11 said:
    Pretty soon we may be talking about the 3rd place Phillies, Nats win their 5th in a row.

The only good news right now is that at least we're not the New York Mets.

• Options

I'm strongly considering taking up bird watching until football season begins. After all, i think it's high time that we pay more attention in the summer to our fine feathered friends, and not worry so much about which team can score the most runs in some baseball game.

• Options

Getting swept by the Marlins is like fighting a teddy bear....and losing. Groan.

• Options

@ernie11 said:
    Getting swept by the Marlins is like fighting a teddy bear....and losing. Groan.

Championship teams do not lose a series at home to one of the worst teams in MLB. Championship teams do not send zero players to the All-Star game. Championship teams do not have their star player grossly under performing. Championship teams do not have a manager that makes bizarre changes to the batting lineup. Championship teams do not have a pitching staff that puts no fear into opposing batters.

I won't totally give up on this 2019 season team until the Phillies are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. But right now the way this team is playing, it's hard to see how they are going to get there.

• Options

Thank you New York Mets.

Your most kind assistance of helping the Phillies to hopefully get out of this terrible slump is much appreciated.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Thank you New York Mets.

Your most kind assistance of helping the Phillies to hopefully get out of this terrible slump is much appreciated.

And, dear Mets, I hope you can help us out 3 more times.

• Options

@stevek said:

@ernie11 said:

Championship teams do not lose a series at home to one of the worst teams in MLB. Championship teams do not send zero players to the All-Star game. Championship teams do not have their star player grossly under performing. Championship teams do not have a manager that makes bizarre changes to the batting lineup. Championship teams do not have a pitching staff that puts no fear into opposing batters.

I won't totally give up on this 2019 season team until the Phillies are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. But right now the way this team is playing, it's hard to see how they are going to get there.

Brace yourself for the same with your team in the NFL! B)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@ernie11 said:

Where's the "Don't Like" 👎 button?

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@ernie11 said:

Where's the "Don't Like" 👎 button?

I know it's going to be hard for you to accept.....but it's right around the corner. o:)

• Options

Thank you again New York Mets.

Maybe the Phillies won't get there, but at least we've got some hope of getting there. Whereby Mets fans have already taken up bird watching for the rest of the season.

Hey Mets fans, here's a pic of your state bird, the Eastern Bluebird. Maybe this will cheer ya up a little bit.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Thank you again New York Mets.

Maybe the Phillies won't get there, but at least we've got some hope of getting there. Whereby Mets fans have already taken up bird watching for the rest of the season.

Hey Mets fans, here's a pic of your state bird, the Eastern Bluebird. Maybe this will cheer ya up a little bit.

The Mets get 5 earned runs off Arrieta and still lose. Reminds me of that old joke from the early 1960's when the Mets were starting out and their pitching was so horrible. One Mets fan tells another Mets fan "The Mets scored 18 runs in last night's game", to which the other fan responds "Did they win?"

• Options

I ❤️ New York. 🤣

Thanks again Mets!

• Options

@stevek said:
    I ❤️ New York. 🤣

Thanks again Mets!

If we could only schedule them for 162 games a season.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, when does the football season start? My teams, the Red Sox and Phillies are fading from red to pink, and the New York Skunks (Yankees) are flying high. It’s depressing. :s

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

2,4,6,8, who do we appreciate?

And in appreciation, i just thought it might be a nice gesture to post the lyrics to that wonderful Mets old time theme song:

MEET THE METS,
    MEET THE METS,
    Step right up and greet the Mets!
    Bring your kiddies,
    bring your wife;
    Guaranteed to have the time of your life
    because the Mets are really sockin' the ball; knocking those home runs over the wall!
    East side,
    West side,
    everybody's coming down
    to meet the M-E-T-S Mets of New York town!
    Oh, the butcher and the baker and the people on the streets,
    where did they go? To MEET THE METS!
    Oh, they're hollerin' and cheerin' and they're jumpin' in their seats,
    where did they go? To MEET THE METS!
    All the fans are true to the orange and blue,
    so hurry up and come on down -
    'cause we've got ourselves a ball club,
    The Mets of New York town!
    Give 'em a yell!
    Give 'em a hand!
    And let 'em know your rootin' in the stand!
    Come on and MEET THE METS,
    MEET THE METS,
    Step right up and greet the Mets!
    Bring your kiddies,
    bring your wife;
    Guaranteed to have the time of your life
    because the Mets are really sockin' the ball; knocking those home runs over the wall!
    East side,
    West side,
    everybody's coming down
    to meet the M-E-T-S Mets of New York town!
    Of New York town!

• Options

Jean Segura Walk-off 3 Run Homerun Phillies vs Mets today

https://youtu.be/X6VSeFPvZCg

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am very pleased to see a few more wins for the Phils, it was a rough losing streak they finally broke out of recently.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019 4:55PM

Unfortunately for the Phils, you have to play major league teams after this lol...no one in the NL East is catching the Braves this year.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    Unfortunately for the Phils, you have to play major league teams after this lol...no one in the NL East is catching the Braves this year.

You may very well turn out to be right.

But with a Braves loss today, the Phillies did pick-up a full game in the standings. Also this nice four game win streak got the Phils better positioned in the playoff hunt.

Right now i'm happy. Fully realizing with these 2019 Phillies, the "happiness" could be short lived. So I'm enjoying it while i can. ;)

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

BAMBOO Rules!!!!! If you follow the Phils you understand. Up next....a little payback for the Marlins!

• Options

May the Philly's sleep with the Fish. :DB)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2019 8:25AM

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

You may very well turn out to be right.

But with a Braves loss today, the Phillies did pick-up a full game in the standings. Also this nice four game win streak got the Phils better positioned in the playoff hunt.

Right now i'm happy. Fully realizing with these 2019 Phillies, the "happiness" could be short lived. So I'm enjoying it while i can. ;)

When you are Phillies fan, you are happy for whatever good times you get. I have an old film on their history, hosted by the late James Mitchener. He stated that the Phillies had finished last more than any team in Major League Baseball. Complaining when the Phillies are winning is a little bit is like going out on the battlefield and bayoneting the wounded.

If you want complain about a team winning too much, talk about the Yankees. They always get the breaks and more money than they need.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Those Fish are tuff on the poor Philly's. :oB)o:)>:)

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    The familiar feeling of loss returned today with
    Phillies 2
    Marlins 6

We get red hot, and then we go and keep losing to this bottom dweller team.

Almost hard to believe. 😫

• Options
    edited June 29, 2019 6:46AM

@stevek said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    The familiar feeling of loss returned today with
    Phillies 2
    Marlins 6

We get red hot, and then we go and keep losing to this bottom dweller team.

Almost hard to believe. 😫

That's how I feel when the Cowboys lose to the Eagles...….Thank God it doesn't happen that often! :)

• Options

https://www.mlb.com/news/how-pitchers-are-attacking-bryce-harper

The book's out on Bryce Harper. Can he adjust?

• Options

9 - 6 loss. Sheez, someone give me a tranquilizer...

• Options

@ernie11 said:

Those mean ole Fish! :oB)>:)

• Options

@ernie11 said:

If the Phillies don't win today, I'm calling for a congressional investigation. I mean six straight losses to one of the worst teams in baseball isn't possible is it?

• Options

Nice road win tonight against the Braves.

I'll take it. :)

• Options

@stevek said:
    Nice road win tonight against the Braves.

I'll take it. :)

You know what they say...…. "you can't lose them all"! Not even the Phillies! :o

• Options

It's now the 3rd place Phillies.