Home Sports Talk

Philadelphia Phillies 2019 season official thread

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Who started for the Royals? Keller?
    How could Philly get away with not coming to the Royals stadium for so many years?
    Also, when did the games start a series format of three games in a row? Has it always been like that?
    Do they (opposing teams) only play three times a year, excepting playoffs?

Good questions. I'm not sure how the NL/AL seasonal rotation works?

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jakob Junis started today for the Royals. My kryptonite reference was in regards to the opposing team's starter. The Royals have had a habit for some time of handling established veteran and even superstar pitchers, but the guys just getting called up where they don't have a "book" on him yet seems to cause them difficulty. And if he happens to also be left-handed, forget about it. So when I heard that Irvin was making his MLB debut, and heard he was left-handed, I didn't need to look up his minor league stats or anything else about him, I knew the Royals were going to have silent bats today.

Being in opposite league, the Interleague series rotate every 3 years. So the Royals and Phillies won't play again until 2022. It is usually only one 3 game series, then, at that. There are instances where two teams will play each other in a 2 game series at one stadium and then later play another 2 game series at the other stadium. I don't know the methods for selecting those 2 and 2 series, or how they determine who gets to host every 3 years. Apparently, when they played previously in 2016, 2013, and 2010, those series were all in Philadelphia. 2007 was the last time KC hosted.

As a general rule, you will play 18 or 19 games against each team in your own division. 3 series at home and 3 series on the today, spread out at various times throughout the year. Mostly, 3 game series are the norm, but sometimes they have 2 game or 4 game series.

Then, each team from the other 2 divisions in your league, you will have a total of either 6 or 7 games against those opponents, with one series at home and one series on the road.

The Interleague series, as mentioned, rotates every year. This year, the Royals and the A.L. Central teams are paired up with the N.L. East. Last year, the A.L. Central had the N.L. Central, so next year, the Royals will play the N.L. West. Usually only one 3 game series will be played, with the site determined by methods unknown to me.

I don't know about the Phillies, but the Royals have a rivalry series vs St. Louis every year, regardless if the A.L. Central is matched up in the rotation with the N.L. Central. They play a 2 and 2 home and away series. Sometimes spread out, and other times 2 in one location and the immediate next 2 games on the schedule is at the other location.

I hope that was a help. There may be some Phillies fans with a more intimate knowledge of the work quirks of your team's schedule and can fill in the holes in my explanation.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

So Kapler's entire credentials rest on working out and being in great shape - which is exactly what I said. No degrees, no education, no nothing other than he works out a lot, looks good and created a blog. That is the definition of a charlatan - a person falsely claiming to have a special knowledge or skill - and pretty much defines the vast majority of healthy-lifestyle "gurus" out there like Kapler. It is always fun when someone like Stevek posts content that invalidates their position but doesn't realize it.

The Harper slump continues (.194 BA in May), maybe Kapler will suggest a 3 day juice cleanse for him. Hopefully, you don't have to wait until after the All Star break for him to get out of his current funk. Be prepared for 12 more seasons like this.

Robb

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard a saying once or twice, “haters gonna hate. “
    Are you just posting to instigate folks, or bash the Phillies personnel?
    Seems a little inappropriate, perhaps I misunderstood the purpose of this thread or forum section, or intent of your comments.

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phils took 2 outta 3 from the Royals, but a big test lies ahead. In the rest of May, they play Milwaukee 7 times, the Cubs 4 times, the Card and Rockies 3 times. At the end of the month they start a series with the Dodgers. If they get past all of that in a respectable way, they are for real.

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    I heard a saying once or twice, “haters gonna hate. “
    Are you just posting to instigate folks, or bash the Phillies personnel?
    Seems a little inappropriate, perhaps I misunderstood the purpose of this thread or forum section, or intent of your comments.

It's always hilarious seeing posts from someone like Robb who pull figments from their imagination. Who knows what causes it? "Haters gonna hate" is absolutely right. But that's okay, it's sports talk.

The bottom line is the Phillies are in first place, and not even playing their best baseball yet. Despite the ups and downs, it's been a fun and entertaining season thus far, and I believe it will continue. Hopefully past 162 games. :)

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    How could Philly get away with not coming to the Royals stadium for so many years?
    Also, when did the games start a series format of three games in a row? Has it always been like that?

NL teams don't play AL teams that often during the season.

@DIMEMAN said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

I always liked the interleague play. I think it was a great idea.

Here's a prediction, you heard it here first. I think one day there may even be international play with MLB teams. Not that the international teams would join the league, but the games would count in the standings.

For example a team during the season would fly out to say Japan, and play say a four game series. The results would count in the standings, and the team would play their other 158 games with other MLB teams. Something to that effect.

I'll tell ya why i think it may be an easy call. With sports gambling rapidly growing legally in this country, it's entirely plausible that one day gambling revenue might surpass all other forms of revenue for MLB teams. Therefore to help increase that, MLB team owners would want gambling revenue worldwide from other countries as much as possible. What better way than to play some MLB games in that country. It would not only peak gambling interest for the international series, but certainly increase interest in that country's gambling base for other MLB games.

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Here's a prediction, you heard it here first. I think one day there may even be international play with MLB teams. Not that the international teams would join the league, but the games would count in the standings.

For example a team during the season would fly out to say Japan, and play say a four game series. The results would count in the standings, and the team would play their other 158 games with other MLB teams. Something to that effect.

I'll tell ya why i think it may be an easy call. With sports gambling rapidly growing legally in this country, it's entirely plausible that one day gambling revenue might surpass all other forms of revenue for MLB teams. Therefore to help increase that, MLB team owners would want gambling revenue worldwide from other countries as much as possible. What better way than to play some MLB games in that country. It would not only peak gambling interest for the international series, but certainly increase interest in that country's gambling base for other MLB games.

That will never happen......or at least it shouldn't. Come back dow to earth Steve. ;)

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

That will never happen......or at least it shouldn't. Come back dow to earth Steve. ;)

I believe it will likely happen, just a question of when. There's way too much potential money involved for it not to happen.

You may not know how much sports gambling is involved in Asian countries. It is staggering compared to US standards.

Frankly, I think it would be very interesting to see the Phillies once a season play a good Japanese baseball team, and there are some really good professional baseball teams in other countries as well, especially in the Caribbean.

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    !!!winning streak!!!
    Phillies 7 Brewers 4
    :):p:)

Nice win, and Harper goes 0 fer 4.

When Harper starts hitting again, the Phillies will become a very hard team to beat.

Streak ends with a 6-1 loss
    Marlins 6 Phillies 1
    Doh!
    Win some lose some. It is pretty cool all the guys being called up and performing.

edited May 15, 2019 7:35PM

Brewers 5 Phillies 1
    :|
    Bruce Willis showed up, took some batting practice and threw the first pitch in a #19 Willis Phillies jersey

Harper batting .219

Frankly, it's become alarming.

Fortunately, the Phillies overall doing fine and in first place, covers up his horrendous slump a bit.

The haters having a good time out there, and why shouldn't they?

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Brewers 5 Phillies 1
    :|
    Bruce Willis showed up, took some batting practice and threw the first pitch in a #19 Willis Phillies jersey

Willis is a big Phillies fan.

Perhaps he could have batted for Harper in the game? Couldn't hurt. :|

He smacked a few out into the field, but also a lot of foul balls.
    I forgot about Bruce being a Phillies Phan, but when I heard about his visit I remembered the Sixth Sense set in Philadelphia and another flick or two, maybe?

I was a Phillies fan for a time......when Rose played there. He might have been a Philly when he broke Cobb's record for hits against the Expos. And of course helped win a WS in 1980. :);)B)

@DIMEMAN said:
    I was a Phillies fan for a time......when Rose played there. He might have been a Philly when he broke Cobb's record for hits against the Expos. And of course helped win a WS in 1980. :);)B)

Glad you were a Phillies fan back then.

Pete actually finished up his career in Cincinnati where he broke the record.

Phillies fans loved Pete back then when he was a Phillie, and still do now. Sort of a similar affection that we will always have for Nick Foles. :)

Brewers gong the Phils 11-3, to take, what, 3 out of 4? The Phils ain't arrived yet.

:s

:)

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Phillies 5 Rockies 4
    Another win!

That should be a loss......you should have to spot the Rockies a run and they win all ties! B)

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Phillies 5 Rockies 4
    Another win!

We could sure use every win we can get. The Braves seem to be looking tougher each day.

The Mets look like they are ready to drop out of it. So it's shaping up to be a two horse race to the finish line in the NL East.

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Another game with the Rockies today, hoping Nola brings the A-game!

Good call! Nola gave up eight hits but only one earned run with twelve strikeouts.

Hoping for a Braves loss tonight but they've got a one run lead right now.

Before the season began, I thought the Mets might be better this year over last year. However it's obvious now that they won't be a contender this season. Already five and a half games out. Stick a fork in 'em, they're already done.

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Phillies 7 Rockies 3
    Another win! :):D;):p<3

Isn't that a sweep? If so, it's revenge for the earlier season sweep the Rockies did against the Phils.

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    When does the regular season end?

I think they expanded it this season to 365 games. ;)

@ernie11 said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Phillies 7 Rockies 3
    Another win! :):D;):p<3

Isn't that a sweep? If so, it's revenge for the earlier season sweep the Rockies did against the Phils.

A good win, as we also pickup a game in the standings from the Braves loss.

Nice to see Harper have a very good game. He may possibly be breaking out of his slump, but I thought that before and he didn't, so we shall see. But it does look promising. :)

@stevek said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Good call! Nola gave up eight hits but only one earned run with twelve strikeouts.

Before the season began, I thought the Mets might be better this year over last year. However it's obvious now that they won't be a contender this season. Already five and a half games out. Stick a fork in 'em, they're already done.

Evidently you don't remember 1969! ;)B)

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Evidently you don't remember 1969! ;)B)

Sure i do, first man on the moon that year.

Sunday
    Phillies 5 Cubs 4
    This game went to the 10th inning and was saved by some great offensive plays.

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Sunday
    Phillies 5 Cubs 4
    This game went to the 10th inning and was saved by some great offensive plays.

The Cubs aren't scheduled to be relevant again until about the year 2100.

Cubs 3 Phillies 2
    5 minutes ago the Phillies had the lead but lost it in the end of the 9th inning.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks AR, !-1. Next, waiting for Cole, to make his return to the Phila fans, its all good

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Cubs 3 Phillies 2
    5 minutes ago the Phillies had the lead but lost it in the end of the 9th inning.

This Phillies team isn't going to remind anyone of the 1980 Phillies. However I do think with some luck at the right times, this team has a chance to do some good this season.

I'm not sure if they're quite as good right now as a few of those American League teams. But I'd sure like to get to the World Series and find out. :)

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Cubs 8 Phillies 4
    :(

13 hits but only 4 runs. Need to do a better job bunching the hits together.

Still 2 games up in the NL East and good to see Harper go 3 for 5, even though it was a wasted effort losing the game.

The lead has shrunk a little bit, but I don't feel any impending doom at all. We all knew it would probably be a tight race throughout season. Even the Mets have crawled back into it.

Phils split the series with the Cubs, win 9-7. A nailbiter.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

Ugly loss today, but taking two of three from the Brewers was very nice.
    Woodruff looks like the very real deal in his two games against the Phils. Someone I'll be keeping an eye on.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lets see what a day off does. Trip was a learning curve, its was all good.

They went 4-3 on this road trip against 2 good teams. They've proven that they can stay in the same stadium with these teams, but they haven't proven much more. The Braves are just 1-1/2 games behind.

I don't expect the Braves to go anywhere; they're a good solid team and are built to be in this to the end. Lots of games left and lots can still happen. The loss of Robertson for the Phillies in the pen has created a real problem for them in the late innings, and has cost them several games this far....and he has now moved to the 60 day DL. Neshek now out. Things can turn very quickly.

I agree that the Phillies have some pretty good potential.

That being said, it would be interesting to know in MLB history, if a team that won the World Series, ever had a starting outfielder batting third in almost all of the regular season games with around a .230 batting average?

I didn't Google it to try and find out. Perhaps it has?

In any event, it does have me a bit concerned right now. Hopefully a month from now, Harper's batting average is up to .275, the Phillies are building on their division lead, and this "concern" will be a distant memory.

I don't know if he'll hit .275, but for me .250-.260 and leading the league in walks as other teams pitch closely to him is fine by me. He'll hit his 30+ HR's, drive in and score 100, and hopefully lead the Phils to their first postseason appearance in 7 years.

:(
    Terrible news this morning as word of the arrest of Odubel Herrera in Atlantic City was released. Domestic violence charges were brought against Herrera following an alleged altercation between Herrera and his girlfriend, with visible bruising on her arms and neck at the time of arrest. Not acceptable at all.
    If the allegations are true I hope he is kicked out of the Phillies organization. :(