Home Sports Talk
Options

Philadelphia Phillies 2019 season official thread

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Solid Phillies win today. Good to see Harper go 2 for 4 with 2 ribbies to help us win this ballgame.

With the Braves loss at their home, we pickup a nice full game in the standings.

Phillies do seem to be winning a good number of these close games this season. :)

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Solid Phillies win today. Good to see Harper go 2 for 4 with 2 ribbies to help us win this ballgame.

With the Braves loss at their home, we pickup a nice full game in the standings.

Phillies do seem to be winning a good number of these close games this season. :)

And the Braves lost, so double good news.

• Options

Another nice win for the Phils today.

Phillies quietly now have the second best record in the National League.

Bryce Harper with another big game. Seems like Aspie_Rocco got it right, that Harper just needed time to get acclimated to his new surroundings.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harper i guess was just warmming up as the weather does the same. Cool, Thanks for update.
    Perfect.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Another nice win for the Phils today.

Phillies quietly now have the second best record in the National League.

Bryce Harper with another big game. Seems like Aspie_Rocco got it right, that Harper just needed time to get acclimated to his new surroundings.

And the Braves lost. Wonderful.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

A loss today, but Harper is warming up....a sign of good things to come for the Phils O.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    A loss today, but Harper is warming up....a sign of good things to come for the Phils O.

The Phils will need every one of his hits this weekend, they visit the Dodgers in LA.

• Options

@ernie11 said:

@JRR300 said:

The Phils will need every one of his hits this weekend, they visit the Dodgers in LA.

Dodgers are brutally tough at home this season with a lusty 22-7 record.

Let's hope after their series with the Phillies, the Dodgers home record looks a little bit less lusty.

• Options

Sure would be nice for Sunday's game to see the Phillies beat the Dodgers at their stadium at least once in this series.

Not totally urgent that the Phils show they can beat the Dodgers at their ballpark, but it will be come playoff time.

• Options

Well the Dodgers certainly showed this weekend that they are the premier team in the National League right now.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Well the Dodgers certainly showed this weekend that they are the premier team in the National League right now.

Yep. The Phils stagger out of LA and head down the road to SD. Didn't expect this to be a good series for the Phils and it wasn't. It's really the Dodgers' year so far, there isn't another NL team that comes close to them.

• Options

Hope the sillys pan out as their playing my home away from home. Santee, Calf

• Options

Phillies going in the wrong direction at this time. 😟

• Options

just listening to the game and bamm 2 hrs . 2 min. ago , he he

• Options

A very nice series win vs the PADRES. My first look at the Padres and the look to be for real...a number of good looking young players and a few stars mixed in. Phils didn't get good starting pitching but hung in and pulled out two wins. Harper swinging the bat well, but Hoskins looking a little lost those last few games. Looking for some home cooking this weekend to bring him back.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed, I am happy to see another win. The loss of McCutchen to injury is a bummer, which may prove lucky for some others on the team. I heard there was a new Phillie, Jay Bruce.

• Options

Impressive win today. Still cant help to think it as a flash in the pan, or , "Every action has an equal and
    oppisite reaction" someone once said that, must be the reaction part, I cant remember.
    P.S., Love the duel pick ups for the team." Impressive"!

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Indeed, I am happy to see another win. The loss of McCutchen to injury is a bummer, which may prove lucky for some others on the team. I heard there was a new Phillie, Jay Bruce.

Braves losing 7-1 in the eighth so we've got a good chance to pick up a full game today.

That would be nice! :)

• Options

And the Braves lose again today. Very nice to increase your lead without playing.
    I am somewhat concerned about our CF situation. If Haseley can play an above average CF, then I think the offense is strong enough to pick up his bat (or lack thereof). The defense will have to be solid, and the CF is even more important now with Bruce manning LF on a regular basis....means more ground to be covered. We shall see what happens; it could means that the Phils will be spending their resources at the trade deadline on an outfielder.

• Options

Looking like we're back on track. The Bruce trade is already paying dividends, the young starters look to be improving and Harper is making the top of the lineup very formidable. Just need some of the bullpen arms to get healthy again.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    Looking like we're back on track. The Bruce trade is already paying dividends, the young starters look to be improving and Harper is making the top of the lineup very formidable. Just need some of the bullpen arms to get healthy again.

Yes, lately Harper has been contributing nicely to a win in almost every winning game, and that's great to see. That's certainly what we need.

You're right about the bullpen.

The Phillies have had a seven year drought from making the playoffs, so i'll first focus on that. And maybe I'll be satisfied with that for now if that's as far as we go this season. I guess because the Dodgers sure look formidable out there right now to take the NL pennant. But I'd sure welcome the chance to try to beat them in the playoffs. :)

• Options

Hey, you never know what can happen. remember 2011 the Phils were the best team in baseball, they sweep the Braves out the last series and the Cardinals sneak in. They knock us out in the first round and go on to win it all. Unfortunately I remember it all too well.

• Options
  • Options

no offense today.....really didn't see many balls hit hard today. Let a nice start by Nola go to waste.

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    A nice winning streak was ended by today’s game Reds 4 to Phillies 3.

Yep. And the Braves come back to beat the Marlins, so they are just 1 game back.

• Options

Im getting my pan out again. Cant depend on performance as a team. Their hands(Players) are tied which may be efecting moral.
    Or their just not put in or taken out. Players have a different feel regarding the game being played ask Nick.
    On a lighter note, that dodger fan is very artfull. Lets see more.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go Braves! B)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Go Braves! B)

Dimeman, with your continuous nasty remarks against the Eagles and Phillies, you are becoming perilously close to being removed from my holiday greetings card list.

How are you going to explain to Mrs Dimeman come December when she says to you, "Dimeman, how come that nice stevek didn't send us his usual lovely holiday greetings card?"

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Go Braves! B)

Dimeman, with your continuous nasty remarks against the Eagles and Phillies, you are becoming perilously close to being removed from my holiday greetings card list.

How are you going to explain to Mrs Dimeman come December when she says to you, "Dimeman, how come that nice stevek didn't send us his usual lovely holiday greetings card?"

Oh No.....Steve you wouldn't! B) Mrs. Dimeman looks forward to that card from you all year long. :o

• Options

Braves just won't go away.

They are beginning to irritate me a little bit. 😒

• Options

I was a Philly fan for a small period of time when the "GREAT" Pete Rose came in a got you a WS win! :)B)

But that's it......go Braves! >:)

• Options

Phils fall into 2nd place just in time to face Atlanta this weekend. I give the Braves credit but they did sweep two teams that pretty much rolled over.

• Options

@ernie11 said:
    Phils fall into 2nd place just in time to face Atlanta this weekend. I give the Braves credit but they did sweep two teams that pretty much rolled over.

Make that 1-1/2 games back. Pittsburgh rolled over again.

• Options

The Bucs had a few of those games for the taking but couldn't close the deal. Should be an interesting weekend.

• Options

A Braves sweep could put a damper on things! B)>:)

• Options

Oh brother.

2 1/2 games out now seems like it happened in a blink of an eye. :/

May have to begin thinking about the possibility of settling for a wild card spot. :|

• Options

@stevek said:
    Oh brother.

2 1/2 games out now seems like it happened in a blink of an eye. :/

May have to begin thinking about the possibility of settling for a wild card spot. :|

I wish it was that bad, but 2 1/2 games is nothing! ;)

• Options

A little overmanaging by Kapler last night with the pen. Also didn't agree with the pitch selection in the last inning. Just watching, you could clearly see what the Braves plan was against Neris, yet he just kept throwing only the sinker. You have to be a little more tuned in and trust your eyes as to how the inning is playing out. Still a lot of games to play, but the Braves have it going right now, and the Phils let that one get away.

• Options

Hope the catcher's ok and will return soon.
    Thanks for the updates. Cool.

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Another win for the Phillies
    Phillies 6 Braves 5

This win definitely helped the cause. :)

• Options

Nice comeback win for the Phils. Neris looked so much better in the 9th when he mixes in the fastball to keep the hitters honest, a far cry from the night before.
    Nola is becoming a bit of a concern. Can't seem to find his rhythm. Hitters are fouling off tons of pitches raising his pitch count. Nowhere near as sharp as last year, and we really need him to be the #1 guy. also hope JT is okay after taking one to the gems last night.
    Any work on the status of the atlanta pitcher that got hit?

• Options
  • Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Phillies got beat like an unruly child today
    Phillies 1 Braves 15
    :s

Doesn't get much uglier. :s

• Options

only one game...counts the same as that ugly Friday loss, but doesn't hurt as much

• Options
    edited June 18, 2019 5:42AM

The way the Phils are playing lately, maybe last night's rainout with the Nats was a victory of sorts. :)

• Options

@ernie11 said:
    The way the Phils are playing lately, maybe last night's rainout with the Nats was a victory of sorts. :)

Admittedly, i was thinking the same thing. :/