Home Sports Talk
Options

Philadelphia Phillies 2019 season official thread

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good bounce back win for the Phillies tonight.

Probably going to be a dogfight in the NL East all season.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was hoping for a sweep but will grudgingly accept taking 2 out of 3.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Well, the Phillies winding up April in first place in the NL East so I can't complain too much. But the Phillies still aren't playing their best baseball.

Bryce Harper after getting off to a dazzling start, has been mired in a fairly bad slump. His batting average is now at .255, and although leading the league in walks, he also leads the league in strikeouts.

The batting average and strikeouts frankly are not acceptable for someone with his salary who was supposed to now increase his career stats because of playing 82 games at Citizens Bank Park in which he had always done very well.

Harper needs to do better, and I believe he will do better.

So overall, all things considered, while not a fantastic start, it's a pretty good start which we can build on.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Well, the Phillies winding up April in first place in the NL East so I can't complain too much. But the Phillies still aren't playing their best baseball.

Bryce Harper after getting off to a dazzling start, has been mired in a fairly bad slump. His batting average is now at .255, and although leading the league in walks, he also leads the league in strikeouts.

The batting average and strikeouts frankly are not acceptable for someone with his salary who was supposed to now increase his career stats because of playing 82 games at Citizens Bank Park in which he had always done very well.

So overall, all things considered, while not a fantastic start, it's a pretty good start which we can build on.

I hear that Harper's behavior is already wearing thin in the Phillies clubhouse. He is a tremendous talent but I have a feeling the Phillies are going to regret this 13-year albatross of a contract just as they did with Ryan Howard deal.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

I hear that Harper's behavior is already wearing thin in the Phillies clubhouse. He is a tremendous talent but I have a feeling the Phillies are going to regret this 13-year albatross of a contract just as they did with Ryan Howard deal.

It's far too early for the Phillies to even be remotely thinking about regrets regarding Bryce Harper.

Frankly, it seems to me that Harper is pressing too much to try to hit home runs. I recall what Hank Aaron said about hitting home runs, that he never tried to hit one, his main interest was in hitting the ball hard. I think Harper needs to focus on that, just hitting the ball hard, and when the home runs come as a result then they come.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2019 10:02PM

Go Phillies! Beat Miami 5-1.
    Are you folks able to find any of the Games online for free?
    D&E sports on the tube usually has some games, but not all. I am trying to find an alternative to watch more games

• Options

Phils now in front by 2 games in the NL East. I'll take it. Nice to have a little bit of breathing room, even if it's just early in the season.

Pretty good 11-5 record at home so far, and that bodes well as the season progresses.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lotta games to go Steve. ;)B)

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

You are getting the version of Harper everyone expected. He may have some terrific streaks, and one or two may last most of a season, but he seems to be an average hitter with a good eye and lots of pop. The Phillies will regret the back end of his contract. They paid for 2015 Harper which he has only delivered twice in seven seasons.

As for the statement from Hank Aaron it was slightly apocryphal. Of course there were many times he tried to hit a home run. The amount of trust people put into these kind of statements from players is mystifying.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    You are getting the version of Harper everyone expected. He may have some terrific streaks, and one or two may last most of a season, but he seems to be an average hitter with a good eye and lots of pop. The Phillies will regret the back end of his contract. They paid for 2015 Harper which he has only delivered twice in seven seasons.

As for the statement from Hank Aaron it was slightly apocryphal. Of course there were many times he tried to hit a home run. The amount of trust people put into these kind of statements from players is mystifying.

Robb

http://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=5068451

Aaron bothered players take short cuts

NEW YORK -- Hank Aaron watches games these days and is perplexed as batter after batter tries to jack pitches out of the ballpark, obsessed with the long ball that made Hammerin' Hank famous.

"I don't think they understand the role of what they need to be doing," Aaron said Thursday during a visit to The Associated Press. "I'm not saying all of them, but I think some players need to understand that they're never going to hit 50 home runs or 45 home runs [a year]. They've got to learn how to hit the ball to the opposite field and do the little things to help their ballclub win championships."

It's not "slightly apocryphal." I recall reading about Aaron saying it in a newspaper.

It's hard if not impossible to find many articles published before the advent of the internet, with Google recording the text and pictures. I spent a few minutes Googling to find something, and this is the best I found. The posted article strongly infers what Aaron had previously stated about that he never tried to hit a home run.

As far as Harper...you're not getting it. He's here to help the Phillies win one or more World Series. I don't give a chit about the back end of his contract if he helps the Phils win one or more championships.

• Options

@fergie23 said:

Robb

Sorta like someone saying that Jack Nicklas said "Tiger is better than I was". Yah right!

• Options

Found this quote from Ernie Banks:

Pasted:

I don't try to hit home runs. I just try to meet the ball and get base hits. Ernie Banks
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/home_runs

I couldn't find Aaron saying the exact same thing. However considering Aaron's view about home runs, and since he played in the same era as Ernie Banks, it's easy to think that Aaron might mirror Banks sentiments about hitting home runs. And i know Aaron did because years ago I read where he stated it.

• Options

Sorta like someone saying that Jack Nicklas said "Tiger is better than I was". Yah right!

Jack might not mean it but he would be correct in his assessment that Tiger is a better golfer than he was.

Stevek, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:

Jack might not mean it but he would be correct in his assessment that Tiger is a better golfer than he was.

Stevek, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Robb

Good to hear you're selling bridges. Probably a pretty nice commission on each sale.

• Options

https://www.mlb.com/news/bryce-harper-booed-at-home

Harper booed at home: 'I'd do the same thing'

PHILADELPHIA -- There might not be a Phillies player alive that has not heard a few boos from Philly fans.

Bryce Harper heard a few during Tuesday night’s 3-1 loss to the Tigers at Citizens Bank Park. He went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts. A ball dropped among Harper, Cesar Hernandez and Rhys Hoskins in shallow right field to spark a three-run rally in the third inning. He dropped a fly ball for an error in the eighth.

“I’d do the same thing,” Harper said of the reaction from restless Phillies fans. “It’s not fun to lose, it’s not fun to watch when you’re playing that way. [I was] 0-for-4 with two punchies, I’m probably thinking the same thing walking back to the dugout.”

• Options

Well if Gabe Kapler isn't going to motivate Bryce Harper, then Phillies fans will have to do it. :|

• Options

@fergie23 said:

Robb

HaHa……..not even close!

• Options
    edited May 1, 2019 7:28PM
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2019 8:14PM

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Speaking of Tigers... Boom, Phil’s win 7-3 over the Tigers!
    Go Phillies!!!

Nice win. Every bat active except for Harper, an ugly 0-4. This has happened a number of times in the past several weeks...most if not all of the Phillies bats are alive in a particular game, yet Harper does nothing. I'm not going to sugar coat it, he looks terrible out there right now, in the field as well.

How could a guy so enthused, so red hot early, looking like Babe Ruth, all of a sudden turn into Eddie Gaedel?

I haven't given up on Harper, but he had better wake-up and start producing. Maybe shave that damn ugly beard of his and see what happens, and I'm almost not kidding.

• Options

I look forward to him finding his rhythm and things falling in place. I imagine changing all the home city routines and adjustment to the move will take a while.
    I am still optimistic. 2019 World Series!

• Options

How could a guy so enthused, so red hot early, looking like Babe Ruth, all of a sudden turn into Eddie Gaedel?

That is the question folks in Washington asked over and over again. Especially when there is evidence that he can stay locked in for extended periods of time.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:

That is the question folks in Washington asked over and over again. Especially when there is evidence that he can stay locked in for extended periods of time.

Robb

At that MLB.com link I posted, there is a video of two fly balls that Harper messed up. I've played a lot of baseball, little league thru high school, mostly in the outfield when i wasn't pitching, and on the one fly ball that he dropped, i don't recall myself ever dropping a fly ball which was that easy to catch. If an outfielder is paying attention during the game and watching each pitch, and watching the ball come off the bat, it's almost impossible for any halfway competent outfielder to drop a ball like that. But okay, that's an error, and it's forgivable...he lost it in the lights or whatever.

What isn't forgivable to me, is the other play shown in the video whereby he didn't hustle to run in to catch a fly ball, either because he thought the second baseman was going to run out to catch it, or because he was afraid of a collision with the second baseman.

These are major leaguers. That's a ball that Harper has to scream to the second baseman as he's running in to catch it, that it's his ball, avoid the collision, and catch the ball.

In my view that second play displayed a total lack of hustle and caring about his teammates and the fans who want to win the game. That play really hissed me off, and really sticks in my craw. Philly is a sports town that can tolerate a lot, but we will never tolerate lack of effort. It's a forgivable sin, but only if Harper starts producing, and soon.

Aspie_Rocco made an interesting point though, and I'm still willing to wait and see what happens.

• Options

Phillies opening up a little bit of daylight in the NL East.

Rhys Hoskins rapidly becoming a star in this league.

• Options
  • Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Ugh. It has been a rough patch. Lose one, win one, lose one.

Pasted: (not including today's game where he went 0 for 4)

April 10, In 23 games since then, he's hit just .195 with a .659 OPS and two home runs.

I'm not blaming every loss on Harper, but this type of performance considering his contract is beyond unacceptable, and it's beginning to bother me. Harper had better wake-up quickly or he's going to get booed the likes of which has never been seen before on this planet in a sports venue.

• Options

How are McCutchen and Realmuto doing since they got on with the Phillies?

As a comparison are there any studies regarding post-trade performance in a given time period?
    Like how long it generally takes for new players to acclimate after a trade.
    Particularly when their entire career has been in one place.

I am neutral on Harper’s recent performance, still.
    I think he will come around.
    Once they all get synchronized things will click. 2019 is the year!

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    How are McCutchen and Realmuto doing since they got on with the Phillies?

As a comparison are there any studies regarding post-trade performance in a given time period?
    Like how long it generally takes for new players to acclimate after a trade.
    Particularly when their entire career has been in one place.

I am neutral on Harper’s recent performance, still.
    I think he will come around.
    Once they all get synchronized things will click. 2019 is the year!

I don't disagree with anything you said. And I think he will "come around" as well. I certainly hope so.

That being said, the premise of his signing the highly lucrative contract was by playing 81 games per season at Citizens Bank Park, that he would perform even better than he did for the Nationals. Being only 26 years old that he hadn't reached his full potential yet, and he would improve under the nutritional guidance of Gabe Kapler by gaining a stronger body.

Perhaps many fans, including myself, got overly enthused when Harper got off to a red hot start, and thought that basic performance could continue throughout the season. We all understand these type of hitters go thru slumps, and maybe a week from now when he has crushed five home runs and batted .400, we'll look back on this bad slump as just a bump in the road...but it sure is bumpy now. :/

• Options

GRAND SLAM BRYCE.

YEA! 👍 👍 👍 👍

• Options

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/one-small-change-was-all-bryce-harper-needed-to-post-his-best-game-with-the-phillies-020537390.html

A little tinkering was all Bryce Harper needed to post his best game with the Phillies

Philadelphia Phillies star Bryce Harper came into Tuesday’s game desperate to break out of his slump. After hitting just .125 over his previous 14 games, Harper was determined to tinker until something worked.

That might explain why Harper was sporting a new look during his first at-bat Tuesday. The 26-year-old Harper decided to shed his batting gloves hoping it would get him back on track.

Harper walked, but he wasn’t happy with that result. The au naturale grip just didn’t feel right.

So Harper decided to go back to his batting gloves in his second at-bat. The result: A grand slam.

• Options

and he would improve under the nutritional guidance of Gabe Kapler by gaining a stronger body

Too funny that you are still spouting that nonsense. Kapler is just another charlatan, healthy-lifestyle "guru".

I am rooting for Harper to do well and live up to his contract. I think he has the natural ability to be a HOFer but he needs to improve his approach so he doesn't have so many slumps.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    and he would improve under the nutritional guidance of Gabe Kapler by gaining a stronger body

Too funny that you are still spouting that nonsense. Kapler is just another charlatan, healthy-lifestyle "guru".

I am rooting for Harper to do well and live up to his contract. I think he has the natural ability to be a HOFer but he needs to improve his approach so he doesn't have so many slumps.

Robb

<<< Kapler is just another charlatan, healthy-lifestyle "guru". >>>

Congratulations, you just set back nutritional science and physical conditioning by 100 years. 🤣

• Options

Philadelphia 21 15 .583
    Atlanta 18 19 .486 3.5
    N.Y. Mets 17 20 .459 4.5
    Washington 14 22 .389 7.0
    Miami 10 27 .270 11.5

Not too bad for around the 1/4 mark in the season.

I'll take it. :)

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Braves lost last night so they're 4 behind.

• Options

@ernie11 said:

The beauty of it is, i still don't think the Phillies are playing their best baseball.

• Options

Congratulations, you just set back nutritional science and physical conditioning by 100 years.

What are Kapler's credentials again other than that he works out a lot and is in great shape? To use the word science in the same sentence as Kapler is an insult to science. You need to expand you vocabulary so that you understand what the word charlatan means.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Congratulations, you just set back nutritional science and physical conditioning by 100 years.

What are Kapler's credentials again other than that he works out a lot and is in great shape? To use the word science in the same sentence as Kapler is an insult to science. You need to expand you vocabulary so that you understand what the word charlatan means.

Robb

Pasted from Wiki:

Kapler is well known in baseball for his extraordinary musculature. Longtime Boston Globe columnist Bob Ryan—who said of Kapler "He’s as smart as any player I’ve ever met"—nicknamed him "The Body."[1][13] He is an avid weightlifter, and his body fat count was reported in 2000 to be at 3.98%, and in 2012 to be at 3.5%.[4][3] He was on the cover of several fitness magazines, and became renowned for being the focus of an entire K-Swiss shoe campaign before he had even reached the pros.[14] His blog discusses fitness, nutrition, health, and leadership.[14]

Kapler and his wife co-founded the Gabe Kapler Foundation, which is dedicated to educating the public about domestic violence and helping women escape abusive relationships.[15]

<<< You need to expand you vocabulary so that you understand what the word charlatan means. >>>

Hey Robb - Look in the mirror when you say that.

• Options
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@ernie11 said:

The beauty of it is, i still don't think the Phillies are playing their best baseball.

Agreed. The NL East is a weak division this year. If the Phillies ever really hit their stride, they'd run away with this. If they underplay, then it will be a horse race till the end, and the division champ, whoever it is, will probably have a mediocre 86-76 record.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's "Bang for your Buck Night" at Kauffman Stadium tonight. Dollar hot dogs, and then fireworks after the game. I'll be there tonight, 50/50 on attending Saturday, and then going again for sure on Sunday. Always enjoyable to take in an Interleague series, and see some players in person that infrequently make their way to KC. If the Royals have to go down this weekend, then hopefully Harper, Hoskins, and McCutchen put on a show for everyone. I'd much rather lose due to the overpowering performance of superstars than simple wildness by the bullpen or ice cold bats and lack of timely hitting by the offense.

Just to warn you, even in the lean years, the Royals under Yost have had a habit of outperforming against the more elite teams and starting pitchers at home, while then frustratingly finding a way to fumble and bumble against the lesser teams, or getting held to 2 hits by a left-handed career minor leaguer making an emergency start. So while the Phillies come in as the better team, there's no telling what we're in for this series.

It should be a fun weekend, no matter what transpires.

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Let go Phillies, looking for a Win against the Royals today! Fight nice folks. :)

• Options
  • Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Good call @countdouglas
    Royals 5 Phillies 1 :(
    Maybe tomorrow.
    I hope you have fun at the game Count! :)

Yes, it was a good night overall. I certainly could have stood it to be about 20 degrees warmer. Today's forecast is not much better, so it's still a toss-up if I attend. Sunday is a definite, though.

I have MLB.TV, but admittingly, I usually only check in on the Phillies games when I see the top half of the lineup is due to bat. So, having said that, my one takeaway from the game last night, after seeing them live, is that the Phillies defense could stand some improvement. Perhaps it was the weather, or the just the wear of being on the road, or playing in an unfamiliar stadium and backdrop, but they just seemed lethargic, like a half second slow on their reaction time when the ball was hit, and their fielding range appeared subpar. Maybe over the course of a season, their bats can cover that up, but in short series like the playoffs, I'd be very concerned. I'm probably not telling you anything that you don't already know, but that was what stood out to me immediately as a first impression.

• Options
    edited May 11, 2019 7:26PM

Phillies 7 Royals 0 !!!!
    Woooooooooooo
    Shut out. That seems more like a can was opened. No offense to the Royals or their fans. I am enthused for this win.
    :p

• Options

Before the series, I knew it had been a long time since the Phillies had visited KC. I guess 2007 was the last time they played here. I enjoyed the opportunity to watch your team, and congratulations on the series win.

I knew the Royals were toast on Sunday as soon as I heard the starting pitcher was a left-handed minor leaguer being called up for his major league debut in an emergency situation. That scenario has been the Royals' kryptonite for some time now, as I mentioned in my earlier post, long before I knew Irvin would be pitching. Not taking anything away from Irvin. He carved them up, and looks like a bona fide pitching prospect. Good luck with him on your team going forward.

If you had to come in here and beat us twice, taking the series, I do take some measure of consolation that you also did the same to our cross-state rivals, the Cardinals prior to this series.

• Options

Who started for the Royals? Keller?
    How could Philly get away with not coming to the Royals stadium for so many years?
    Also, when did the games start a series format of three games in a row? Has it always been like that?
    Do they (opposing teams) only play three times a year, excepting playoffs?