Home Sports Talk
Options

Philadelphia Phillies 2019 season official thread

Comments

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take stevek to surpass Grote15 by August. He has become so "over the moon" with Harper, that he will post incessantly about everything...EVERYTHING Harper does. You know...Harper picks up bat, Harper catches a ball, Harper signs autographs, Harper walks to dugout...ad nauseam.

One wonders how stevek will respond when the inevitable slump sets in, or "The Anointed One" strikes out in a key situation. Or worse yet, he doesn't hit as many HRs or hits for that matter than expected. I can already see his posts...which will come up with some lame nonsense about how "The Anointed One" has come up a bit short.

We shall see, and I'll be the first to post a mea culpa if "The Anointed One" excels, but, I suspect Mr. Harper is waaaaaaaaaay over-rated, and certainly not worthy of his 6 month salary, nor his expected performance. Many, many before him have flamed out, so, enjoy the comet as it passes by.

Bring it on stevek, I've got my popcorn, and all set for the incredible "Anointed One's" amazing performances.

Harper at his press conference today: "We Want to Bring a Title back to D.C." :):):) Oopsie.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    I'll take stevek to surpass Grote15 by August. He has become so "over the moon" with Harper, that he will post incessantly about everything...EVERYTHING Harper does. You know...Harper picks up bat, Harper catches a ball, Harper signs autographs, Harper walks to dugout...ad nauseam.

One wonders how stevek will respond when the inevitable slump sets in, or "The Anointed One" strikes out in a key situation. Or worse yet, he doesn't hit as many HRs or hits for that matter than expected. I can already see his posts...which will come up with some lame nonsense about how "The Anointed One" has come up a bit short.

We shall see, and I'll be the first to post a mea culpa if "The Anointed One" excels, but, I suspect Mr. Harper is waaaaaaaaaay over-rated, and certainly not worthy of his 6 month salary, nor his expected performance. Many, many before him have flamed out, so, enjoy the comet as it passes by.

Bring it on stevek, I've got my popcorn, and all set for the incredible "Anointed One's" amazing performances.

Harper at his press conference today: "We Want to Bring a Title back to D.C." :):):) Oopsie.

I've already started a Bryce Harper Fan Club for folks who are pillars of society, and of course we all know that Bryce Harper exemplifies that. So the fan club membership requirements are very strict.

All fan club applicants must have no criminal record, never any arrests or physical altercations of any sort, a clean driving record, always filed and paid their taxes on time, currently working or retired but definitely contributing in some important way to the betterment of their community...and most importantly, have never made a disparaging remark about the Philadelphia Phillies or any of their players. An example of this would be saying "Mike Schmidt is not the GOAT" would automatically disqualify an applicant.

Some executive vice president spots are still open if anyone is interested in applying.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything less than a Phillys WS Win with Harper will be a disappointment. Tough to set that type of bar for success but that’s what goes with a 330 Million dollar signing

• Options

@stevek said:

I've already started a Bryce Harper Fan Club for folks who are pillars of society, and of course we all know that Bryce Harper exemplifies that. So the fan club membership requirements are very strict.

All fan club applicants must have no criminal record, never any arrests or physical altercations of any sort, a clean driving record, always filed and paid their taxes on time, currently working or retired but definitely contributing in some important way to the betterment of their community...and most importantly, have never made a disparaging remark about the Philadelphia Phillies or any of their players. An example of this would be saying "Mike Schmidt is not the GOAT" would automatically disqualify an applicant.

Some executive vice president spots are still open if anyone is interested in applying.

Well, I'm disqualified in several areas, almost all. While my administrative skills (have an MBA) won't be used to its fullest potential, I suspect some low level secretaries and janitors will handle all duties of the charter "Anointed One" fan club.
    I'm saddened that I won't be travelling each year to the Bryce "The Anointed One" Harper's annual lack of awards ceremony held in Fargo, ND in February.

Better hurry and get some tix to Sept 14 and 15th to see a World Series Championship team play.

Oh yeah, Mike who?

• Options

@1970s said:
    Bryce Harper or Mookie Betts ? Who's better ? And the answer is not Mike Schmidt !

Mookie Betts

• Options

I'm calling Bryce Harper to win the NL MVP and it may turn out to be an easy call for a multitude of reasons.

By the end of April, all the Harper bashers will be gone from this thread, as they watch the Philadelphia Phillies win game after game after game...and cruse into the playoffs.

• Options
    edited March 3, 2019 11:08AM

For the record Ive stated I like the signing and like Harper. I just like Betts Better

• Options

@perkdog said:
    For the record Ive stated I like the signing and like Harper. I just like Betts Better

I sent Perkdog the 109 page Bryce Harper Fan Club application figuring he might be interested. To be filled out and notarized, along with proper finger print ID and a certified polygraph exam.

Really Paul, you could have just said "No" instead of sending that profanity laced reply.

;)

• Options

@stevek said:
    I'm calling Bryce Harper to win the NL MVP and it may turn out to be an easy call for a multitude of reasons.

By the end of April, all the Harper bashers will be gone from this thread, as they watch the Philadelphia Phillies win game after game after game...and cruse into the playoffs.

First, I'm not an "Anointed One" basher...I just look at reality and not through rose tinted glasses like you do. To me, he's just an overpriced, and over-hyped ballplayer. Surely even you have looked at his stats, and also realize that he ain't Clark Kent, kryptonite is always lurking. I assure you, "by the end of April" we'll still be around to tweak you as the "Anointed One's" performance ebbs and flows. You are so in awe of the "Anointed One", that you're acting like a super nerd in High School who just scored the hottest chick in the school.

Second, now that you've gone out on a rather thin branch, and have now crowned the "Anointed One" as NL MVP, what are you willing to put up to support that comment? I may be interested in challenging your position, should it be worth my while to possibly suffer defeat (not likely). Please make the stakes difficult to endure at seasons end, or, at the announcement of the NL MVP. B)

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@stevek said:

First, I'm not an "Anointed One" basher...I just look at reality and not through rose tinted glasses like you do. To me, he's just an overpriced, and over-hyped ballplayer. Surely even you have looked at his stats, and also realize that he ain't Clark Kent, kryptonite is always lurking. I assure you, "by the end of April" we'll still be around to tweak you as the "Anointed One's" performance ebbs and flows. You are so in awe of the "Anointed One", that you're acting like a super nerd in High School who just scored the hottest chick in the school.

Second, now that you've gone out on a rather thin branch, and have now crowned the "Anointed One" as NL MVP, what are you willing to put up to support that comment? I may be interested in challenging your position, should it be worth my while to possibly suffer defeat (not likely). Please make the stakes difficult to endure at seasons end, or, at the announcement of the NL MVP. B)

Frankly, i'm not quite getting your anger towards Bryce Harper? Did he one time not sign an autograph for you or something?

Harper is a class act, great for the game, had one of the finest player introductory press conferences I've ever seen, doesn't have a conceited bone in his body, is a total and complete team player, has unlimited enthusiasm for the game and his new teammates, and seems to really love his new city in which he will be playing for the next 13 seasons.

Yes his stats aren't Ruthian, but are rock solid for this non-steroid era, and also I firmly believe under the nutritional and fitness guidance of Gabe Kapler that Harper will improve his performance, plus he's only 26 years old.

There is no downside that I can see with this signing. Despite Harper's obvious talent that other teams tried hard to obtain, in my opinion he still has a pretty good upside, perhaps tremendous upside as I predicted possibly 50 home runs this season.

I love Harper's enthusiasm and just like losing is contagious, winning is contagious as well. Harper is a winner, and his winning attitude should help to instill that same motivation in other Phillies players.

I presume you're a Red Sox fan from your avatar. If the Phillies face the Red Sox in the World Series, i'd be happy to do a sigline bet and have fun with it. You'll just have to find somebody else on the internet to wager "stakes" with if that's what turns you on.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harper is a class act, great for the game,

Not sure I'd go that far, even if he is a Phillie, Steve. Many players consider him an arrogant primma donna. I'm sure there is some jealousy there, but even his own teammates don't seem to care for the guy very much.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

Not sure I'd go that far, even if he is a Phillie, Steve. Many players consider him an arrogant primma donna. I'm sure there is some jealousy there, but even his own teammates don't seem to care for the guy very much.

Perhaps Jealousy? Might be some other reason which can't be discussed on this forum such as politics or religion. IE: A similar reason why some out there don't like Tebow.

You're the baseball encyclopedia on here and of course I mean that as a sincere compliment. So you know much more about the various team clubhouse nuances than me. I don't even follow most of that stuff on the Phillies or Eagles.

That being said, i was highly impressed with his press conference. It seemed genuine and sincere. Nothing I read into it that should make a teammate dislike him. So whatever had transpired with his now ex-teammates, it's now a clean slate in Philadelphia, and we shall see what happens moving forward.

• Options

@grote15 said:

Pasted from Wikipedia:

Harper is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.[105] He has spoken publicly about his decision to abstain from alcohol. In 2014, he said that he sometimes drinks coffee during the baseball season.[106]

I think the above may explain some of that "teammates don't seem to care for the guy very much."

I can see Harper not really wanting to go out carousing with the other players after a game, hitting bars and drinking it up, partying, etc. Certain players may not like a teammate such as that...and if they don't, then that's their problem.

Based on what i know about the Phillies organization, I don't see Harper being a distraction in this Phillies clubhouse, and I believe he will actually be an inspiration.

We shall see. :)

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'd personally like to read @dallasactuary 's take on this signing

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    i'd personally like to read @dallasactuary 's take on this signing

Having trouble sleeping at night, huh?

• Options

@stevek said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@stevek said:

Frankly, i'm not quite getting your anger towards Bryce Harper? Did he one time not sign an autograph for you or something?

Get a clue and grow up steve...I have ZERO, ZIP, NADA anger towards Harper, and I challenge you to show just one of my posts that indicates "ANGER". I just think he's overrated, overpaid and really not that big a deal. I'm actually enjoying your falling all over yourself over this dude.

SO...don't put words in my mouth...post with validity, or don't respond to my posts at all. I think you're a better person than that..if you can't put on your big boy pants and take some ribbing, don't post.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

I believe I qualify here, as I've met all the requirements set out above. In addition, I can add that I sat through world series games in 80,83 (the rain game), 93 (the 16-15? loss). I've seen enough heartache to be a charter member. I was also present for the Halladay no-hitter VS the REDS and hope that some of that magic returns in 2019.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@stevek said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@stevek said:

Get a clue and grow up steve...I have ZERO, ZIP, NADA anger towards Harper, and I challenge you to show just one of my posts that indicates "ANGER". I just think he's overrated, overpaid and really not that big a deal. I'm actually enjoying your falling all over yourself over this dude.

SO...don't put words in my mouth...post with validity, or don't respond to my posts at all. I think you're a better person than that..if you can't put on your big boy pants and take some ribbing, don't post.

Calling Harper "The Anointed One" sure sounds like a lot of negativity to me. If not anger, then certainly it's very harsh sarcasm. Either way it's uncalled for with Bryce Harper at this point, and frankly "The Anointed One" sounds quite silly, especially coming from a Red Sox fan whose team has signed a number of high priced mercenaries over the years.

You're the one who isn't posting with validity. I mean some on here bust my chops about Ryan Howard, and that's fine. Because after Howard signed for the big money, he basically became a flop. That criticism is valid.

However Harper was a coveted ballplayer in this off season by a number of teams and you know it. You're busting chops over a Phillies signing who hasn't even once been to the plate yet for the Phillies.

If Harper is batting .220 at the end of May with only a few homers, then go ahead, fire away, that's fine. But right now you are just being pathetic. Especially since your team is the defending World Series champion, and the Patriots just won the Super Bowl. You should be happy as a clam.

• Options

@JRR300 said:

@stevek said:

I believe I qualify here, as I've met all the requirements set out above. In addition, I can add that I sat through world series games in 80,83 (the rain game), 93 (the 16-15? loss). I've seen enough heartache to be a charter member. I was also present for the Halladay no-hitter VS the REDS and hope that some of that magic returns in 2019.

Congratulations, you are now an official member. :)

• Options

@stevek said:

Congratulations, you are now an official member. :)

Thanks! I'm brushing up on my pom-pom skills. Lots to cheer about in the upcoming season!

• Options

Phillies get off to a nice opening day 10-4 win against last season's NL East winner.

Bryce Harper goes 0-3 with two strikeouts, and I'm not even worried about it...that is unless he does it again in the next game. :|

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Phillies get off to a nice opening day 10-4 win against last season's NL East winner.

Bryce Harper goes 0-3 with two strikeouts, and I'm not even worried about it...that is unless he does it again in the next game. :|

Not worried either. Even with a low BA in 2018, he led the league in walks last year, and I can't help but think that his very presence in the lineup will benefit just by how opposing pitchers will pitch to the other players.

• Options

@ernie11 said:

@stevek said:

Not worried either. Even with a low BA in 2018, he led the league in walks last year, and I can't help but think that his very presence in the lineup will benefit just by how opposing pitchers will pitch to the other players.

I agree with ya.

I didn't see the game, but likely he was pressing a bit too much, first game of the season in front of the home crowd. Harper will be fine I have no doubt.

In any event, the Phillies bats made mincemeat out of the Braves pitching yesterday, and that bodes well for a great season!

• Options

Phillies off to a great start at 2-0.

This year's NL MVP, Bryce Harper, gets his first hit as a Phillie and it's a home run.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Phillies off to a great start at 2-0.

This year's NL MVP, Bryce Harper, gets his first hit as a Phillie and it's a home run.

They are tied with another team for first place but I can't remember who..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

I was going to use the word "amazing" to describe this year's Phillies team, but I think that adjective is already in use by some other team. ;)

• Options
    edited March 31, 2019 9:54PM

Tremendous start to the season, sweeping the three game series against the Braves.

Bryce Harper with a solid game, 2 hits including his second homer, 2 walks...earning his big money and helping to Make Phillies Great Again. :)

• Options

Harper haters now hiding under their beds, possibly never to be seen in this thread again. 🤣

• Options

Win # 3 against the Braves. Off to a 3-0 start. A very nice mix of power and grind it offense. A very good start to the season against a team who owned them last season.

• Options

Bryce Harper, if ya do the math, is on pace for a 108 home run season.

I sincerely apologize to Mr Harper for predicting that he might only hit around 50 home runs.

Bryce, please forgive me...I'm truly sorry!

• Options

If any Harper haters post again on this thread, I would ask that you please refer to him as Babe Harper.

Thank you for your cooperation.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Braves pitching didn't quite put it over, gave up 23 runs, don't know if they were all earned runs.

• Options

"He's connected with people in the ballpark," manager Gabe Kapler said. "He's connected with his teammates. He's connected with the coaching staff. He's connected with the city. He's connected with the fans."

BTW: Kapler was referring to Bryce Harper just in case the doubters and haters didn't realize it. :D

• Options

I'll say this, they reminded me of the young 2007 Phils team...lots of good young players who were just figuring out how good they could be. Harper could have had another homer; the tracer he hit to left field right into the teeth of the wind still almost went out. Any other normal day at CBP, that ball is "outta here"

• Options

I'm not that crazy about tonight's road game against the Nats.

Phils may have a bit of a letdown after that tremendous sweep of the Braves. Plus the Harper factor coming back to play against his previous team. Logically he may be a bit tight for this game.

Hate to say it but I'm expecting a Phillies loss tonight. However if the Phils can win this game, it could be a landmark type of game foretelling that the Phillies overcame tough obstacles, got the win, and moved onward to a championship season. :)

• Options

The pitching matchup does not bode well for the Phils....Sherzer against Eflin. Then again, you just don't know. That's why they play the games.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    The pitching matchup does not bode well for the Phils....Sherzer against Eflin. Then again, you just don't know. That's why they play the games.

Phillies had a 6 run lead, going into the bottom of the 6th. Nats getting 2 runs back.

i'll tell ya, if the Phillies win this game despite the tough pitching matchup that you mentioned, this will be an extremely nice early season achievement as well as 4 straight wins.

This could turn out to be a season to remember. Let's hope so.

Without question, Bryce Harper has given this team a phenomenal spark. Not to exactly equate the two players or the two situations, but it reminds me a bit of the spark that Pete Rose gave to the 1980 Phillies. Would sure be nice if the end result turned out the same way. :)

• Options

Yea baby, now 8-2

Could this season get off to a better start?

• Options

Bryce Harper 3 for 5 tonight with 3 ribbies AND his 3rd home run of the season in the first 4 games.

Harper haters aren't hiding under their beds any longer...they're hiding in a trunk in the basement. :D

• Options

Pesky Mets hanging in there gamely at 4-1. They are starting to tick me off a little bit. 😒

We'll just have to do something about that...like sweep them in the upcoming three game series beginning April 15th.

• Options

Let's wrap this one up, three outs to go.....

• Options

Outstanding. 👍

• Options

like I said earlier, that's why they play the games. Not to overlook the huge 2 out bases loaded double by Segura to break this game open! Really nice to have good, solid hitters up and down the lineup. and BTW, another homer from Franco!

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    like I said earlier, that's why they play the games. Not to overlook the huge 2 out bases loaded double by Segura to break this game open! Really nice to have good, solid hitters up and down the lineup. and BTW, another homer from Franco!

One thing that has always been true in MLB baseball. It's always been a game of streaks. The Phillies are simply red hot right now, but as you say, that's why they play the games. The winning streak could go on for a number of more games, or it could end in the next game.

In any event, what a great time to be a Phillies fan. We shall see what the future brings, but right now signing Bryce Harper may turn out to be one the best free agent signings in MLB history.

• Options

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/phillies-bryce-harper-gets-last-laugh-in-d-c-with-epic-home-run-and-bat-flip/

Phillies' Bryce Harper gets last laugh in D.C. with epic home run and bat flip

Harper obviously loves Philly and Philly obviously loves him - a perfect fit. A match made in heaven which could help bring a number of championships to Philadelphia in the coming years.

Good times indeed. :)

• Options

OMG, a clutch double with the bases loaded in the eighth by McCutch drives in 3 to put the Phils ahead, and Segura follows with a hit to score McCutch and make it 8-6.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    OMG, a clutch double with the bases loaded in the eighth by McCutch drives in 3 to put the Phils ahead, and Segura follows with a hit to score McCutch and make it 8-6.

Well, 4-1 is still a heckuva start.