Philadelphia Eagles 2018 season

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Nice sportsmanship Steve 👍

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Eagles will probably pack it in for the season. If they run table and finish 11 and 5 that usually gets a team into the play-offs, but that is not going to happen, especially the way they played last night. The offense slept for the first half and the defense left the stadium during the last 2 minutes of the first half and turned into Swiss cheese in the 4th quarter.

The Cowboys outplayed them and that's end of the argument.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:
    I knew it.

Good night.

Don't fret,there's always next year. B)

Yes, and Eagle's fans can treasure last year just like Tampa Bay Bucks fans can remember 2003.

In the meantime, Dimeman can rest easy that Jason Garrett has taken one more step in his quest to maintain his standard of mediocrity for the Dallas Cowboys football program. ;) The announcers were saying last night that Garrett's job is on the line given the outcome for this season.

It would be worth it to lose all remaining game if it meant getting rid of Garrett! Gawd what a pathetic coach. He kind of reminds me of the Pittsburgh coach...….they just stand there and watch and hope to win!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The Eagles will probably pack it in for the season. If they run table and finish 11 and 5 that usually gets a team into the play-offs, but that is not going to happen, especially the way they played last night. The offense slept for the first half and the defense left the stadium during the last 2 minutes of the first half and turned into Swiss cheese in the 4th quarter.

The Cowboys outplayed them and that's end of the argument.

This season has been a bitter disappointment. I wasn't sure if the Eagles would win back-to-back Super Bowls, that is extremely difficult to do as we all know. However i thought at least making the playoffs would be a cinch this season and then anything could happen.

The Eagles of course aren't technically out of it, they still could make the playoffs, but they seem "mentally" out of it especially the coaches. I hate to be brutally frank about it, but i watch Pederson's press conferences and he seems out of it mentally. Some of his commentary doesn't even make sense. I've never seen anything quite like it, especially since he did such an outstanding job last season. I'm not sure if he is now on some sort of medication or what?

I'm not saying get rid of Pederson, but I am saying that something needs to be done to wake him up and the rest of the coaches as well. For example the Cowboys successfully pulling off that fake punt in that situation in the game simply is unacceptable. That simply cannot happen on a team that wishes to win another Super Bowl. There were a number of other glaring mistakes, unforced errors so to speak, that should not have happened with a talented coaching staff that is 100% mentally into a football game.

Call it complacency after winning a Super Bowl or whatever, and i'll put up with it this season as the Super Bowl memories are still fresh. However if this crap continues into next season, there are going to be a lot of hissed off Eagles fans out there. We had a nice taste of winning, and we do not wish to give that up so quickly.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@BillJones said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:
    I knew it.

Good night.

Don't fret,there's always next year. B)

Yes, and Eagle's fans can treasure last year just like Tampa Bay Bucks fans can remember 2003.

In the meantime, Dimeman can rest easy that Jason Garrett has taken one more step in his quest to maintain his standard of mediocrity for the Dallas Cowboys football program. ;) The announcers were saying last night that Garrett's job is on the line given the outcome for this season.

It would be worth it to lose all remaining game if it meant getting rid of Garrett! Gawd what a pathetic coach. He kind of reminds me of the Pittsburgh coach...….they just stand there and watch and hope to win!

The ultimate "just stand there coach" was Raymond Berry when he coached the Patriots in the late 1980s. The one of the guys in the office where I worked called him, " a cigar store Indian."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hahaha “Cigar store Indian “ that is hilarious, Berry was famous for that. Tod Bowles and Marv Lewis having jobs is just as funny. The Eagles still have a good team though

• Options
    edited November 13, 2018 6:39AM

Eagle fans, it could be worse. If you are an Atlanta fan, you suffered the worst turnaround ever in the Super Bowl. In last year’s play-offs you took out L.A. and liked like you had a big head of steam only get nipped by the Eagles. Now in a disappointing season, you just lost to the Cleveland Browns.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Eagle fans, it could be worse. If you are an Atlanta fan, you suffered the worst turnaround ever in the Super Bowl. In last year’s play-offs you took out L.A. and liked like you had a big heap of steam only get nipped by the Eagles. Now in a disappointing season, you just lost to the Cleveland Browns.

Thoughts such as this have always comforted me in times of trouble as an Eagles fan, knowing that things could be worse being an Atlanta Falcons fan.

Sort of like if you're dead broke and have no money, but realize you're still better off than stuck in some African village plagued by famine. :|

• Options

BUT ... there there is reality ... With last night's win over the 49ers, the Eagles are only two games ahead of the New York Giants. :s

• Options
    edited November 13, 2018 7:04AM

@BillJones said:
    BUT ... there there is reality ... With last night's win over the 49ers, the Eagles are only two games ahead of the New York Giants. :s

It is frightening...and now the Eagles are going down on Sunday to play the 8-1 Saints. :#

By the time this NFL season is over, i may decide to vacation in that African village to cheer myself up. :p

• Options

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

It is frightening...and now the Eagles are going down on Sunday to play the 8-1 Saints. :#

By the time this NFL season is over, i may decide to vacation in that African village to cheer myself up. :p

Good one Steve!

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

Knowing how this Eagles season has gone,watch them beat the Saints to get everyone's hopes up again then lose to the Giants the following week. ;)

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

Knowing how this Eagles season has gone,watch them beat the Saints to get everyone's hopes up again then lose to the Giants the following week. ;)

I'm wondering how the Saints lost the 1 game! It seems like they score 50 points a game.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

I'm wondering how the Saints lost the 1 game! It seems like they score 50 points a game.

They lost 48-40 to the Bucs on opening night. I'd put the Saints ahead of the Rams & Chiefs as the current SB favorite.They're getting it done on both sides of the ball and have a QB & HC that have won a SB.
    I've been dying for a Brady/Rodgers SB matchup but a Brady/Brees would be great too even though its likely never to happen.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

They lost 48-40 to the Bucs on opening night. I'd put the Saints ahead of the Rams & Chiefs as the current SB favorite.They're getting it done on both sides of the ball and have a QB & HC that have won a SB.
    I've been dying for a Brady/Rodgers SB matchup but a Brady/Brees would be great too even though its likely never to happen.

The Bucs scoring 48 was just a fluke. A Rams/Saints NFC Title game should be a good one. At this point I would have to pick the Saints. I really like Brees. Besides being a great QB....he seems like a great person. Every time they interview him about breaking a record he never brags. He thanks his team mates and just for having the opportunity to play the game. Great guy.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

The Bucs scoring 48 was just a fluke. A Rams/Saints NFC Title game should be a good one. At this point I would have to pick the Saints. I really like Brees. Besides being a great QB....he seems like a great person. Every time they interview him about breaking a record he never brags. He thanks his team mates and just for having the opportunity to play the game. Great guy.

He just passed Favre on sunday for #2 on the All Time Passing TDs list. Manning has 539tds,Brees 509 & Brady 505,they should both pass Manning some point next season.

• Options

Maybe i'll switch and decide to become a Cowboys fan or Patriots fan?

And the odds of that happening are the same as me getting a sex change operation and changing my name to Lucy. ;)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

He just passed Favre on sunday for #2 on the All Time Passing TDs list. Manning has 539tds,Brees 509 & Brady 505,they should both pass Manning some point next season.

No Brady is done he stops just shy of Favre he will be announcing his retirement in a few days

• Options

No Brady is done he stops just shy of Favre he will be announcing his retirement in a few days

Tom thus begins a TV show career with a new sitcom called the Brady Bunch.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

Nah,he'll pull a Favre so he can pass Favre next week.

• Options
    edited November 13, 2018 3:07PM

Brady had a bad game, I don’t believe the sky is falling by any stretch although I find it funny that a couple days ago I was laughing at Steve about Brady and “Father time” saying it won’t happen this season, I hope I’m wrong and I really chalk it up to a bad game. After the bye week if he lights it up we will be talking strong playoff run again 💪

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

Nah,he'll pull a Favre so he can pass Favre next week.

I will add two things. #1 I seriously hope he don’t pull a Favre and hang around for garbage stat padding. #2 sorry to Steve for the Brady talk in his cherished Eagles thread 🦅

• Options

I will add two things. #1 I seriously hope he don’t pull a Favre and hang around for garbage stat padding. #2 sorry to Steve for the Brady talk in his cherished Eagles thread 🦅

Normally I would have been steaming mad at ya Paul, but that cool Eagle ya posted at the end made it all okay. 😉🍺

• Options

@perkdog said:>

I think the only stat padding we'll ever see Brady go after is SB wins and don't worry about steve,just throw in a couple Belichick name drops and he'll be fine. :p

• Options

@erikthredd said:

I think the only stat padding we'll ever see Brady go after is SB wins and don't worry about steve,just throw in a couple Belichick name drops and he'll be fine. :p

Seeing how Doug Pederson and his coaching staff have precipitously dropped off in competence this season after a Super Bowl championship, makes me respect Belichick even more for being able to stay focused, and change and adapt successfully in each new season.

When coaching at a high level, if a successful coach figures they finally have the game mastered, that's when they start getting beat. I think that Pederson figured he had the game mastered with the Super Bowl win, and this season shows what happens when you believe that about yourself.

In such high level competition, every other coach and their staff have broken down Pederson's coaching tendencies, and are exploiting the weaknesses. Pederson may not even fully realize all this at this point or he just isn't working hard enough to do something about it. Perhaps he just isn't good enough to stay at a high level of competition?

The old saying that it's easier to get there than to stay there, is so true at high level sports competition. Hopefully Pederson will display some Belichick type intelligence and drive, and learn to stay there.

I still have hope for Pederson. After all this is only his third head coaching season. And with a Super Bowl championship under his belt, I'm certainly willing to give him another season to show some adaptability and improvement.

Perhaps Pederson gets hissed off at this pathetic Cowboys game loss, although he should have realized something was dramatically wrong when blowing a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter against the Panthers. And so use that anger about losing to better focus and work harder as i'm sure a Bill Belichick does.

We shall see how it all plays out. 🦅

• Options

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

Seeing how Doug Pederson and his coaching staff have precipitously dropped off in competence this season after a Super Bowl championship, makes me respect Belichick even more for being able to stay focused, and change and adapt successfully in each new season.

When coaching at a high level, if a successful coach figures they finally have the game mastered, that's when they start getting beat. I think that Pederson figured he had the game mastered with the Super Bowl win, and this season shows what happens when you believe that about yourself.

In such high level competition, every other coach and their staff have broken down Pederson's coaching tendencies, and are exploiting the weaknesses. Pederson may not even fully realize all this at this point or he just isn't working hard enough to do something about it. Perhaps he just isn't good enough to stay at a high level of competition?

The old saying that it's easier to get there than to stay there, is so true at high level sports competition. Hopefully Pederson will display some Belichick type intelligence and drive, and learn to stay there.

I still have hope for Pederson. After all this is only his third head coaching season. And with a Super Bowl championship under his belt, I'm certainly willing to give him another season to show some adaptability and improvement.

Perhaps Pederson gets hissed off at this pathetic Cowboys game loss, although he should have realized something was dramatically wrong when blowing a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter against the Panthers. And so use that anger about losing to better focus and work harder as i'm sure a Bill Belichick does.

Oh please , they won the superbowl last year . Other teams are watching tape and figuring out how to stop them at what they do well. Once you win everyone pulls out their A game to beat you as a point of pride.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

Oh please , they won the superbowl last year . Other teams are watching tape and figuring out how to stop them at what they do well. Once you win everyone pulls out their A game to beat you as a point of pride.

It's a question of a head coach using his team's strengths and/or changing it up at the right time and place during the game...and Pederson this season just isn't doing that nearly as well as last season.

• Options

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

It's a question of a head coach using his team's strengths and/or changing it up at the right time and place during the game...and Pederson this season just isn't doing that nearly as well as last season.

So whatyour saying is he is off track to be the GOAT coach? 😂🍻

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

So whatyour saying is he is off track to be the GOAT coach? 😂🍻

This season the answer to that has to be yes.

Don't forget that Belichick had some doubters as well early in his head coaching career.

And Belichick didn't win a Super Bowl until his seventh year as head coach, whereby Pederson did it in his second year. So who wouldn't consider Pederson for a possible GOAT down the road based on that and other things?

Is Pederson a possible GOAT one day, or a one year flash in the pan, or something in between? We shall see. But in any event, he must improve from what he's doing this season or one day he'll be coaching the Cleveland Browns.

Are the Eagles players quite as good as last season? Of course not. We all know that. However it's clear to anyone following the team closely each game that at least two of those losses were because of lackadaisical coaching mistakes during the game, and that is not acceptable. 😒

• Options

At the risk of hurting Steve's feelings...…….I didn't think the Eagles were that great last year and were lucky to beat NE in the SB. And it is showing up this year. JMHO

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    At the risk of hurting Steve's feelings...…….I didn't think the Eagles were that great last year and were lucky to beat NE in the SB. And it is showing up this year. JMHO

I disagree with that statement. The Eagles had a great regular season, and in the play-offs, they defeated a much-favored Atlanta team and destroyed Minnesota. Peterson out coached Belichick in the Super Bowl. For one shinning year, the Eagles were the best team in pro football, even surviving the loss of their star quarterback.

This season Wentz has shown that he will probably never be what he was before the knee injury, and Ha-ji-ee (sp), who was a devastating runner is gone for the season and maybe forever. As for the defense, it’s devastated with injuries in the secondary. Drew Brees and New Orleans will probably rip them to screeds.

Football is a very tough physical game. Many players, who look great for a short while, fade after a significant injury or just lose the enthusiasm it takes to be great in the sport. It is hard to be good year after year because the management has to keep new blood coming into the system all the time. That’s why Belichick has been so great. He’s reason why New England has been in the hunt year after year.

As for the Eagles, it’s rebuilding time, as usual. Who knows? For me as an Eagles fan the wait for the ultimate championship took from 1960 to 2018. That’s why I was rooting for them over the Patriots, which have become “my team.” I knew how special is was for them. Maybe it will take another 58 years.

• Options

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/givetake

The Eagles also have a turnover differential of -6 which is towards the bottom of the league.

Of course it's never a good time for a fumble or interception, but sometimes it makes no discernible difference in the outcome of a game. However the Eagles this season are fumbling and getting intercepted at some very inopportune times which has hurt them greatly.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

Doesn't bother me if anyone wishes to say the 2017 Eagles were the worst team ever to win a Super Bowl. I was so hungry for a Super Bowl win, if all the other teams in 2017 had come down with some weird illness, and they all had to forfeit the season, and the Eagles by default were crowned Super Bowl champions, i would have gladly taken it. LOL

• Options

@stevek said:
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/givetake

The Eagles also have a turnover differential of -6 which is towards the bottom of the league.

Of course it's never a good time for a fumble or interception, but sometimes it makes no discernible difference in the outcome of a game. However the Eagles this season are fumbling and getting intercepted at some very inopportune times which has hurt them greatly.

Cheer up , what else is bottom of the league is Tom Brady against the blitz yikes

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Doesn't bother me if anyone wishes to say the 2017 Eagles were the worst team ever to win a Super Bowl. I was so hungry for a Super Bowl win, if all the other teams in 2017 had come down with some weird illness, and they all had to forfeit the season, and the Eagles by default were crowned Super Bowl champions, i would have gladly taken it. LOL

I didn't say worst Steve. But I do think they were lucky to beat NE last year. But they won and that is what counts. ;)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I didn't say worst Steve. But I do think they were lucky to beat NE last year. But they won and that is what counts. ;)

The old saying is it's better to be lucky than good. :)

• Options

I am going to commit the ultimate heresy and say that I’m going to be rooting for the Saints against the Eagles tomorrow. I would like to see the Saints get the #1 spot in the play-offs. I am not a fan of LA Rams or the KC Chiefs, and I’d like to see Drew Brees close out his career on a high note.

As for the Eagles, their season is headed down the tubes. Hate to say it, but they look like toast.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    I am going to commit the ultimate heresy and say that I’m going to be rooting for the Saints against the Eagles tomorrow. I would like to see the Saints get the #1 spot in the play-offs. I am not a fan of LA Rams or the KC Chiefs, and I’d like to see Drew Brees close out his career on a high note.

As for the Eagles, their season is headed down the tubes. Hate to say it, but they look like toast.

I agree . I have written of Brady winning it , Philly won't either so lets get Drew Brees another SB ring before he retires

• Options

The Eagles are going to need some good luck to win this game. That and the coaches doing their job on at least a high school level.

• Options

At least the Texans-Redskins game has started off well, Texans up 10-0.

This is a Redskins must lose game for the Eagles.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2018 12:19PM

The Eagles have to win games to catch the Redskins. Wins have been too scarce this season.

• Options

Houston will beat the Redskins. The NNFC East is there for the Cowboys and Eagles. But unless we pick up our game it will be one and out of the playoffs!

Heck the Cowboys are struggling against the Falcons!!!! A crap team!

• Options

Come on Eagles...ya caught a little break today with the Redskins losing.

Can you please kindly take advantage of it?

Thank you in advance.

• Options

The Eagles need to come out play, unlike what they have done against the Cowboys, Titans and (gasp!) the Tampa Bay Turkeys.

• Options

I predict that whoever (Dallas or Eagles) beats the Saints......that team will win the East. If we both lose or both win....then it's up for grabs.

• Options

Well, just like the Cowboys 1st possession …..the Saints have to settle for a FG.

• Options

You can tell that the Saints are itching to blow this one open early.

• Options

First quarter and the game is already over.

Probably the season as well.

Too many hurdles to get over at this point.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    You can tell that the Saints are itching to blow this one open early.

They better get going if they want to get their 48 points.