Options

Philadelphia Eagles 2018 season

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2018 2:56PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@BillJones said:
    You can tell that the Saints are itching to blow this one open early.

They better get going if they want to get their 48 points.

The Eagle’s defense hasn’t gotten tired yet. Have faith.

And another guy goes down in the Eagle’s secondary.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this was a fight, they'd stop it.

Might take an embarrassing blow-out loss such as this to wake-up this Eagles team. But even if that happens, it's likely too late for this season.

• Options

I'm rooting for a Saints pick-6. Get this stinking game over with.

• Options

Could the Giants pass the Eagles in the standings this season? I'm not sure I could mentally handle the smack from Grote. :/

• Options

Interception - That was a big surprise. :s

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Could the Giants pass the Eagles in the standings this season? I'm not sure I could mentally handle the smack from Grote. :/

I don't see that happening. ;) The Giants are right down there where we like em! :)

• Options

Please refs...find a reason to stop this game. I'm begging you.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    First quarter and the game is already over.

Probably the season as well.

Too many hurdles to get over at this point.

Definitely agreed 😂

• Options

The Saints are just too good! They should do the same thing to the Cowboys. I'm not looking forward to that game at all.

• Options

This is the most embarrassing Eagles performance, by far, I've ever seen, considering what was expected when the season began.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    The Saints are just too good! They should do the same thing to the Cowboys. I'm not looking forward to that game at all.

The Saints are the cat, and the Eagles are like an injured mouse out there.

• Options

Well, at least Josh Adams has been a bright spot this season for the Eagles.

• Options

I feel for ya Steve. That last TD was just Brees being to good. The receiver was covered by 2 defenders.

This is where Football should be like boxing...….you could just throw in the towel and go home.

• Options

For humanity's sake...….this game should be stopped!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I feel for ya Steve. That last TD was just Brees being to good. The receiver was covered by 2 defenders.

This is where Football should be like boxing...….you could just throw in the towel and go home.

With Alex Smith going down, I'd say your Cowboys are now the favorite to win the NFC East and thus get into the playoffs.

At least that will make Jerry Jones happy. ;)

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

With Alex Smith going down, I'd say your Cowboys are now the favorite to win the NFC East and thus get into the playoffs.

At least that will make Jerry Jones happy. ;)

Don't forget the Cowboys have to play the Saints yet.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

All the fantasy football nerds would cry because the fantasy points matter more to them than the games

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

And yet Pederson still leaves Wentz in there, in a hopeless game.

I'm just not sure what is going on in Pederson's head this season?

Perhaps it all wouldn't have mattered anyway. In any event, i am looking forward to next season with a healthier Carson Wentz, Josh Adams carrying the rock, and the Eagles healing up from their many injuries.

I still believe that the Eagles will win at least one or two more Super Bowls with Carson Wentz if he can stay healthy. We shall see.

• Options

In all my years watching the Eagles, i never saw them quit, even in some very lean years.

The Eagles obviously quit in this game, and Pederson is damn lucky he won a Super Bowl last season, because this type of game and season on a team with high expectations can get a head coach fired.

Pederson will keep his job for the upcoming 2019 season, that's not even debatable. However Pederson needs to do much better or he likely will get fired at the end of the 2019 season if this nonsense continues.

• Options

In all fairness to the situation, the Saints are obviously intentionally running up the score, and when head coaches do chit like that, it usually comes back to haunt them, sooner or later.

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Perhaps it all wouldn't have mattered anyway. In any event, i am looking forward to next season with a healthier Carson Wentz, Josh Adams carrying the rock, and the Eagles healing up from their many injuries.

I still believe that the Eagles will win at least one or two more Super Bowls with Carson Wentz if he can stay healthy. We shall see.

I just did a compare on Prescott/Wentz. Prescott has 12 game winning drives to 3 for Wentz. I'm not that high on Wentz.

• Options

F the stinking Saints - I'll be rooting against them in the playoffs! 😠

• Options

The Tampa Bay team didn’t quit. They just have no defense.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I was thinking the exact same thing, on that alone if I’m the owner I’m having a closed door meeting with him and asking him to submit to a drug test ASAP

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I was thinking the exact same thing, on that alone if I’m the owner I’m having a closed door meeting with him and asking him to submit to a drug test ASAP

Yea it sure was "thrilling" to see Carson Wentz running late in this hopeless game coming off an ACL tear, especially with the fresh memory of what happened to Alex Smith today.

I'm glad that i'm not at Pederson's post game press conference. They'd probably throw me out of there for shouting too many expletives to describe this game...then again, maybe they wouldn't. 🤬

• Options

Here is a link to a complete comparison between Prescott and Wintz.

https://dakvwentz.com/

• Options

Steve don’t take it so hard bud, it stinks to get smashed like that but chalk it up for what it probably is, a Super Bowl hangover nothing more nothing less.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Steve don’t take it so hard bud, it stinks to get smashed like that but chalk it up for what it probably is, a Super Bowl hangover nothing more nothing less.

I would agree that's at least part of it...perhaps a bigger part of it then i wish to acknowledge. 🤢

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

Interesting comparison...but even with today's debacle, i wouldn't trade Carson Wentz for Dak Prescott, and i didn't need to think about this for even a millisecond.

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Interesting comparison...but even with today's debacle, i wouldn't trade Carson Wentz for Dak Prescott, and i didn't need to think about this for even a millisecond.

I was a little surprised actually. It's close, but to me it favors Prescott. I would take Brees over both of them.

• Options

Maybe Wentz will come back and be 100% next year, and the defense will return. But this season is over. For this the Eagles are back to the “old Eagle’s standard.” They are going nowhere.

• Options

I haven't seen any comments about it yet, but I would have to believe that today's game was a record loss in a season, coming off a Super Bowl winning season - and it may have shattered the record.

Normally a good team after a humiliating defeat such as this, would come back the next game and beat the crap out of a team such as the Giants who the Eagles play next Sunday.

The Eagles likely will still beat the Giants in the upcoming game, but at this point I doubt if it matters all that much.

• Options

I would hope that the Eagles can take the Giants. After seeing a couple Giant games from start to finish, the Giants offensive line is not good at protecting Manning. The Eagles should have him looking at the grass or sky quite a few times during that game.

• Options

I can’t see the Eagles packing it in, I’d say something is definitely going on with Pederson though, maybe he isn’t all in since he is coming off that Super Bowl win, honestly it probably took a lot out of him and he might be still recuperating from it. I’m not being a joker either, I’m totally serious. If anything I’m hoping they SMASH the Giants

• Options

Given the rivalry, the Eagles should a big incentive to beat the Giants. If the Eagles lose that game, they will be tied with the Giants. The big question is the Eagles secondary. It is really beat-up and nothing like it was last year.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Given the rivalry, the Eagles should a big incentive to beat the Giants. If the Eagles lose that game, they will be tied with the Giants. The big question is the Eagles secondary. It is really beat-up and nothing like it was last year.

I can't see the Eagles losing this upcoming game against the Giants after that blow-out humiliation.

I just hope that run-up-the-score maggot Sean Payton is still the head coach when the Eagles play the Saints again, i guess it will be in two or three years at the Linc. Eagles fans have a long memory.

• Options

I remember back in the mid to late 1960s (1966 to '67 ?) when the Dallas Cowboys first became a good team, Tom Landry was running up the score on teams in every game. He's go for numbers like 56 - 7. At the first meeting between the Eagles and Dallas, which was in Dallas, Landry ran up the score like that.

The Eagles were not a very good team. They would end the year with a losing record, well out of the money. Yet in the game in Philadelphia, the Eagles really bore down. They beat Cowboys 14-10. It was really sweet revenge. :D

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

NFC East Analysis:

I am a Redskins fan (poor me) and the Skins are fools gold (worst 6-4 team ever). I expect them to perhaps win 2 more games this year and finish 8-8 at best. They whole offense is injured (and they sucked before they all got injured). Their defense has regressed. Could a complete collapse be far away?

Dallas is my pick to win the NFC East. They have a good D and a great back. I think they will finish 9-7.

Eagles are perplexing. Has Carson really gotten that bad? Is the blown out knee still affecting him? Another RG3? I thought they were a shoo-in for another division title. But now i dont know. Post superbowl blues? They already have 6 losses ... I think they might also finish 8-8.

Giants are playing better. They have a great back. They could be a spoiler.

• Options

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    NFC East Analysis:

I am a Redskins fan (poor me) and the Skins are fools gold (worst 6-4 team ever). I expect them to perhaps win 2 more games this year and finish 8-8 at best. They whole offense is injured (and they sucked before they all got injured). Their defense has regressed. Could a complete collapse be far away?

Dallas is my pick to win the NFC East. They have a good D and a great back. I think they will finish 9-7.

Eagles are perplexing. Has Carson really gotten that bad? Is the blown out knee still affecting him? Another RG3? I thought they were a shoo-in for another division title. But now i dont know. Post superbowl blues? They already have 6 losses ... I think they might also finish 8-8.

First time I've heard the RG3-Wentz analogy. I don't agree with it, but I can't say that it's not an interesting comparison, and some sort of possibility.

I think next season will be a much better indicator of how Wentz will progress moving forward in his NFL career, because I've read where it usually takes around two years for an ACL tear to fully heal.

Big game as you know for Redskins fans on Thanksgiving against the Cowboys. And of course my Eagles play your Redskins two times yet this season. So the NFC East will be interesting to see who wins it. Could go down to the final week to decide. But sadly I have to agree with you at this point that the Cowboys will probably win it, unless the Eagles decide to wake-up and play some competent football.

• Options

@stevek said:

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    NFC East Analysis:

First time I've heard the RG3-Wentz analogy. I don't agree with it, but I can't say that it's not an interesting comparison, and some sort of possibility.

I think next season will be a much better indicator of how Wentz will progress moving forward in his NFL career, because I've read where it usually takes around two years for an ACL tear to fully heal.

Big game as you know for Redskins fans on Thanksgiving against the Cowboys. And of course my Eagles play your Redskins two times yet this season. So the NFC East will be interesting to see who wins it. Could go down to the final week to decide. But sadly I have to agree with you at this point that the Cowboys will probably win it, unless the Eagles decide to wake-up and play some competent football.

Can you imagine how bad RG3 would have been if he had red hair?

• Options

@BillJones said:
    I remember back in the mid to late 1960s (1966 to '67 ?) when the Dallas Cowboys first became a good team, Tom Landry was running up the score on teams in every game. He's go for numbers like 56 - 7. At the first meeting between the Eagles and Dallas, which was in Dallas, Landry ran up the score like that.

The Eagles were not a very good team. They would end the year with a losing record, well out of the money. Yet in the game in Philadelphia, the Eagles really bore down. They beat Cowboys 14-10. It was really sweet revenge. :D

I really don't remember Landry running up scores. I actually would get mad because he wouldn't.....especially against division teams where it could make a difference in a tie breaker deal.

• Options

On Wentz......I still think you (Steve) put him up there higher than he really was. Especially after seeing the stats comparison with Prescott. Prescott clearly has better numbers and is way more mobile and I don't consider him great by any means.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    On Wentz......I still think you (Steve) put him up there higher than he really was. Especially after seeing the stats comparison with Prescott. Prescott clearly has better numbers and is way more mobile and I don't consider him great by any means.

Wentz finished third in MVP voting last season which was only his second year in the league. And he may have won the MVP if he hadn't got injured.

Sure I put Wentz up there high because he earned it. We shall see how he rebounds in 2019.

• Options

@1970s said:

@stevek said:
    Looking good right now.

LOL

🙄

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Wentz finished third in MVP voting last season which was only his second year in the league. And he may have won the MVP if he hadn't got injured.

Sure I put Wentz up there high because he earned it. We shall see how he rebounds in 2019.

new sherriff in town in KC . The world forgot about Carson Wentz

• Options
    edited November 20, 2018 1:31PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@BillJones said:

I really don't remember Landry running up scores. I actually would get mad because he wouldn't.....especially against division teams where it could make a difference in a tie breaker deal.

Here is a link to the Dallas Cowboys' 1966 season. If you look at the numbers for the one-sided games, Landry did run up the scores on some the teams early in the season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_Dallas_Cowboys_season

My memory was correct about the two games the Cowboys and Eagles played, although the score of the second game between was different from what I remembered. The Eagles were also better that year than I had recalled.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@BillJones said:

Here is a link to the Dallas Cowboys' 1966 season. If you look at the numbers for the one-sided games, Landry did run up the scores on some the teams early in the season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_Dallas_Cowboys_season

My memory was correct about the two games the Cowboys and Eagles played, although the score of the second game between was different from what I remembered. The Eagles were also better that year than I had recalled.

Bill, you can't simply look at a score and call it a run-up just because the score is lopsided. You have to play the game. The only time it is a run-up to me is when you score when you don't need to at the end of the game rather than just let the clock run out.

• Options

I was high school at the time, and it seemed as if the Cowboys were running up the scores on many teams. That was my perception, right or wrong. The run up of 56-7 on the Eagles was a real stinger.

I will freely admit that I never was a fan of Tom Landry.

• Options

If a head coach runs up the score with his second or third string quarterback and team in there, calling mostly run plays to eat up the clock, that is acceptable.

What Sean Maggot Payton did was unacceptable.