Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>i just had my grades posted. 5 out of 25 coins graded 70. 1 each of the money coins and 3 of the W uncirc. all others are 68-69`s. i heard no rattling in my mint box before shipping it out. >>

Mine just posted, too. 6 out of 25 coins graded 70: 2 Rev Proof, 2 Burnished W, 1 S, 1 PR. The rest were all 69s except for a lone PR67. I also heard no rattling before shipping out the box. So, no full 70 set.

Gonna have to do some horse trading on the BST!!! >>

Now I'm starting to feel sick! I sent in 5 sets that arrived today. I suppose it's possible that some were damaged by USPS in transit to PCGS,but no rattling in my boxes when I sent them.
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Kind of makes me wonder if I shouldn't scarf up a couple of these 70's on ebay
    ...after they flood the market of course.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted this on another thread:

"Goldbully: I can tell you that in my opinion that pops are skewed in overstating the S mint and Rev proof coins grade through rates. Some % of these coins are being screened before being submitted to PCGS for FS. A collector doing it for example has already shared some of his results with me and half or less of the gross # of coins are actually even being submitted for a shot 70 on those particular 2 pieces. The other 50% are simply being sold as "opened sets".

Wondercoin"

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Did you guys pay for faster grading?

-Paul >>

i did the bulk submission. minimum of 5 sets. i went for the mercanti label and this is done at express level. they were entered on 11/14 and are shipped already. >>

I called this morning and was told turnaround on the bulk labels is 30 business days (6 weeks!). image >>

last monday or tuesday after my sets were entered into pcgs system someone posted the below text on one of the many 25th anniv. threads. i emailed and asked if i could get these labels. i was told yes. very quick turnaround. image

Dear Collector Club Member:

The arrival of the highly anticipated, limited edition 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle 5 Piece Set from the United States Mint is right around the corner. What a better way to commemorate such a stunning addition to your coin collection than to have them graded and encapsulated in a PCGS holder! We have two options for you when it comes to getting your coins into a holder.

The first option is the “Ultimate Bulk Package.” For a minimum of five (5) sets: you can receive each of your coins numerically graded by PCGS. The insert is specially designed to showcase an autograph by the 12th Chief Engraver of the US Mint and designer of the reverse of the Silver Eagle, John M. Mercanti. An autographed letter from Mr. Mercanti congratulating you on your historic set, will also be included. Each coin will also be eligible to receive First Strike® designation. All of this can be yours for $250.00 per set.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

I know - I saw that, so called this morning about it & the CSR told me they had a turnaround time of 30 biz days. So I just called again, got a different rep, and she said the turnaround time depends on how busy they are. So I guess last week they weren't that busy but now they are.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know - I saw that, so called this morning about it & the CSR told me they had a turnaround time of 30 biz days. So I just called again, got a different rep, and she said the turnaround time depends on how busy they are. So I guess last week they weren't that busy but now they are. >>

If I'm reading this correctly, the Mercanti label in BULK has a 30 business day turnaround time?
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

Depends on which rep you get. The one this morning said 30 business days (that's 6 weeks!) turnaround time. The rep this afternoon said "about 2 weeks - the same as all the others". So take your pick. However, re-reading coinman's post, I believe his turnaround time was fast because he initially ordered express service, then asked them to use the Mercanti labels rather than the standard ones.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options

<< <i>So at what market saturation will PCGS 70 sets sell for $1300-$1500. If that happens a new market for the flippers buying these up at those prices? And would dealers really sell them at that price? >>

With a maximum 100,000 sets and potentially three key coins in the set, hard to see that happening. Even NGC PF70 Reverse Proof alone from the 20th Anniversary set with a pop of close to 10,000 70's and a 250,000 mintage have never dropped below $600 - $700 a piece. Orginally NGC 70 black label Anniversary sets were fetching $2,500 - $3,000 each. The 25th anniversary set so far is grading far better than the 20th anniversary set though.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm seeing more than a few week hands.
    I think this is a dip and once the dips have sold, there will be another spike. Especially with the recent cancellations.

Should be interesting to watch.....

Kind of funny to watch the pre-salers still at it, particularly on the boards. As the price has gone down in the last few days/week, who would (from the buying side) want to lock in a price right now anyway?
    If I were buying slabbed sets, I would buy in hand right now (not pre-sale) or wait to see (small gamble).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Even NGC PF70 Reverse Proof alone from the 20th Anniversary set with a pop of close to 10,000 70's and a 250,000 mintage have never dropped below $600 - $700 a piece. >>

Several have sold on eBay in the past week at around $450 each. PF69's are bringing about $225.

Raw 2006 sets (mintage 250k, 1 key coin) are bringing about $380, while raw opened 2011 sets (mintage 100k, 2 key coins) are around double that. No doubt in my mind which set is a screaming buy.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>I posted this on another thread:

"Goldbully: I can tell you that in my opinion that pops are skewed in overstating the S mint and Rev proof coins grade through rates. Some % of these coins are being screened before being submitted to PCGS for FS. A collector doing it for example has already shared some of his results with me and half or less of the gross # of coins are actually even being submitted for a shot 70 on those particular 2 pieces. The other 50% are simply being sold as "opened sets".

Wondercoin" >>

Seems like the coins not screened are doing better,,,

W 69's- 121 70's-315
    S 69's- 174 70's-301
    RP 69's- 157 70's 309

So you are saying that the S and RP 70 numbers in reality should be much less......I would think the S and W being from a similar process should show a spike of S 70's if they were screened (unless the screeners are clueless)
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Over time, the "70" ratio will drop as buyers of the opened/screened sets send them in for grading.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say, if you're in a hurry to sell, wait until ~April 2012. Flippers will have setteled down and buyers will have more disposable income.
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Most people who file their income tax in April are the ones who need to pay, so that is not a good time.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I posted this on another thread:

Wondercoin" >>

Seems like the coins not screened are doing better,,,

W 69's- 121 70's-315
    S 69's- 174 70's-301
    RP 69's- 157 70's 309

So you are saying that the S and RP 70 numbers in reality should be much less......I would think the S and W being from a similar process should show a spike of S 70's if they were screened (unless the screeners are clueless) >>

First they are not screening the coins they are just telling our host NOT to grade anything below a 69. This has happened with the ATB pucks where some of the AP's submitted all there coins with a minimum of 69 they kept all the 69 and 70 and sold all the other ones raw to people that had no idea these coins were already graded once. As I have said this is not about screening these coins but more about sending in 100 sets and taking the best to put together the 70's and 69's and the rest will end up back into the OGH and sold. This has been going on for awhile now and I was able to track the numbers off of coins being offered by these rouge AP"s . I really think this is an unfair advantage to the dealers and the ap's to get the best ones and sell the culls to those that have no idea these coins have already gone thru the system. If there going to offer this to the dealers and AP"S than the collectors should have the same option. Question are collectors sending in sets allowed to do the same? Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Most people who file their income tax in April are the ones who need to pay, so that is not a good time.image >>

Generally, End of Feb, first of March as that is when anyone getting money back gets it.

If they file in April or later, they are paying.
  • Options

Okay,

The difference between a 69 and a 70 grade is so minimal, that a large amount of coins that graded 69 will get cracked and re-submitted in hopes of grading a 70, mostly the RP, and S. The grading firms are banking some "serious coin" off of these sets.

At $300 a set issue price, anyone who got their order from the mint is also banking some coin!
  • Options
    I doubt the resubmission rate will be more than 5%

Many 69s have rim dings, scuffs or breaks in finish that are obvious to the same type of collector who would be doing re-submissions in the first place.

Also cost is a real consideration.

Initial cost, re-submission cost, mailing both ways x 2, and if you got lucky enough to score an upgrade it will be without FS label and they charge more to grade a 70 than a 69.....even on bulk submissions.

Except for the rarest of issues I doubt re-submission is much of a concern when dealing with moderns.
  • Options
    2011 proof silver eagle just sold out at Mint. Now there's another semi key date coin in the set!
  • Options

<< <i>2011 proof silver eagle just sold out at Mint. Now there's another semi key date coin in the set! >>

840,000 is one of the most common proof silver eagle. Only 4 years have higher mintage.
    imho, it is a real stretch to call it a semi key.
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Prices Lowered" now the most common phrase in 25th ASE advertisements on the BST?

It appears the hype has peaked.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Prices Lowered" now the most common phrase in 25th ASE advertisements on the BST? It appears the hype has peaked. >>

And the score at the end of the first inning of play, SAE 25th sets only about 250% gain (minimum) in three weeks...I'll take it, and I'm happy to hold some extras for future appreciation once the initial frenzy and flipping has subsided and the slow crawl up to new heights commences. We've still got people hanging on by a thread, hoping their "In Process" morphs into "In Stock and Reserved" and not into the dreaded "Cancelled". There will be demand from most of them. A lot of unopened boxes have been flipped - someone is buying them and I'll bet it's strong hands. They aren't paying $700 - $800 a set just to make $50. The SAE collector base is large. We are so early in this game...
  • Options
    The eye of the tornado,.......The calm sea before the tsunami........e-bay sales have slowed by about 1 percent..........hurry get out the life rafts!!imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Depends on which rep you get. The one this morning said 30 business days (that's 6 weeks!) turnaround time. The rep this afternoon said "about 2 weeks - the same as all the others". So take your pick. However, re-reading coinman's post, I believe his turnaround time was fast because he initially ordered express service, then asked them to use the Mercanti labels rather than the standard ones. >>

I did. Not ask for express. I think express is part of the mercanti label package @ $250 a set.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options

<< <i>2011 proof silver eagle just sold out at Mint. Now there's another semi key date coin in the set! >>

No way that is a key...semi or otherwise...darn close to last years numbers.

Now I know it's early yet but the W's numbers are starting to look good...check out these numbers as of a couple of weeks ago (and after looking at the W's numbers it is kind of obvious that the PF's and W's 25th Annie 100k are NOT included...adding those would make the PF the 3rd HIGHEST mintage

2011 Proof Sets (+21,752 to 916,466)
    2011-W Proof Silver Eagles (+17,701 to 823,598)
    2011 Silver Proof Sets (+6,766 to 487,919)
    2011 Mint Sets (+6,140 to 456,714)
    2011-W Uncirculated Silver Eagles (+4,767 to 187,810)
  • Options

<< <i>We are so early in this game... >>

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boucharda -

<< <i>
    2011 Proof Sets (+21,752 to 916,466)
    2011-W Proof Silver Eagles (+17,701 to 823,598)
    2011 Silver Proof Sets (+6,766 to 487,919)
    2011 Mint Sets (+6,140 to 456,714)
    2011-W Uncirculated Silver Eagles (+4,767 to 187,810) >>

If the 2011W Unc goes dark soon like the proof, it WOULD be very significant, and rally the 25th sets again.

Unc W's mintages (approx):
    2006W 466,573
    2007W 621,333
    2008W 533,757
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Woohoo! My 5:19pm EST order has been changed to "Instock & reserved" and the cancel box is gone. I was getting nervous (I still am until I get that one set in my grubby hands).
    p.s. I don't intend to get it graded.
    Paul
  • Options

<< <i>Woohoo! My 5:19pm EST order has been changed to "Instock & reserved" and the cancel box is gone. I was getting nervous (I still am until I get that one set in my grubby hands).
    p.s. I don't intend to get it graded. >>

What were the first 5 digits of your order #?
  • Options
    Someone on the BST is pre-selling Mercanti 70 sets for $2200. Wonder if that's the lowest price we'll ever see these at.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone on the BST is pre-selling Mercanti 70 sets for $2200. Wonder if that's the lowest price we'll ever see these at. >>

If it is one better snap them up. Same guy who had over 300 sets or so he said.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I called MCM this morning for prices -

OGP - $999
    NGC + PCGS 69 - $1249
    NGC 70 - $2195
    PCGS 70 - $2495

Be interesting to see what happens next. MCM keeps up with this pricing as Maben said earlier.
  • Options
    Those prices look good for the holders of these sets....nice market developing
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone on the BST is pre-selling Mercanti 70 sets for $2200. Wonder if that's the lowest price we'll ever see these at. >>

It's a sign to me that the market for these isn't hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

That is another issue with this set. There are way too many labels. There are at least four, if not more. Why didn't they just stick to the First Strike - Flag labels and the non-First Strike labels. I guess it is just more marketing.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    If they get to $1800 I may buy a PCGS MS 70 set.
  • Options

<< <i>If they get to $1800 I may buy a PCGS MS 70 set. >>

Which label?
  • Options

<< <i>

Which label? >>

I always preferred the Flag FS label. They can put the black one on my tombstone!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Which label? >>

I always preferred the Flag FS label. They can put the black one on my tombstone! >>

I with you there!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    30 sets from NGC for the coin club .... 121/150 coins were 70s .. wow........ waiting on PCGS
  • Options

<< <i>30 sets from NGC for the coin club .... 121/150 coins were 70s .. wow........ waiting on PCGS >>

Sounds about right for NGC.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

That is another issue with this set. There are way too many labels. There are at least four, if not more. Why didn't they just stick to the First Strike - Flag labels and the non-First Strike labels. I guess it is just more marketing. >>

Seems I remember this same sentiment with the 20th Anniv sets . . . Deja'vous ? ! ? !

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I like the flag FS Holder to match the majority of all my PCGS FS 70s.
  • Options

<< <i>I like the flag FS Holder to match the majority of all my PCGS FS 70s >>

I'll second that. The flag First Strike holder actually made it seem as if I was getting my money's worth. image
  • Options

<< <i>I like the flag FS Holder to match the majority of all my PCGS FS 70s. >>

For flipping at Max profit, that is the best way to go. Who ever came up with these tumbstone labels and signature labels have really muddied the waters. Overall, I believe the biggest demand will be for the Flag First Strike labels and the others will just be a ho-hum chunk of plastic priced at the non-First Strike level.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    FS, Flag, Mercanti --- None of it matters. Only for retail. What you are willing to pay the host, & what peeps are willing to pay you for your paying the host. Moronic behavior for profit on all levels. The coin is now the "label."

By the way, where did Don's post regarding the additional return shipping of the OGP's go? Has the First Strike info on the site been amended?
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, US Mint. I just got my 2:43 order today.

I had an ordeal, I just moved into our freshly built home. So we made sure that we had our debit cards updated so that the shipping and billing addresses matched.

Bank did them all, but mione some how.

So the mint emailed me to contact them.

I did, I screamed at bank, they changed it and we re-submitted for billing.

Called the next day, and order was declined!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When my bank fixed my adress, someone reset my spending limit down to $1000 per day, instead of a much higher limit I had established.

Mint tried to process and was declined!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!

I got the President of the bank on the phone, and lost my mind in the nicest possible way, while I was on the phone with the mint.

After 1 hour the President of the bank reset my limit, because the first answer was 2-3 days!!!!

It got done, surprisingly the mint gave me 1 more chance, and like i said I got my box of 5 sets today.

Although, I made my wife take the day off, because we knew we would not be here for delivery, and I have not got my driver's license updated yet, I did not want to go to UPS and try to explain why they should give me a box when the addresses did not match.

Nightmare over, I hope.

Now what to do, sell it or sit on it?

• Options
    It was removed for lack of interest!
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks, US Mint. I just got my 2:43 order today.

I had an ordeal, I just moved into our freshly built home. So we made sure that we had our debit cards updated so that the shipping and billing addresses matched.

Bank did them all, but mione some how.

So the mint emailed me to contact them.

I did, I screamed at bank, they changed it and we re-submitted for billing.

Called the next day, and order was declined!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When my bank fixed my adress, someone reset my spending limit down to $1000 per day, instead of a much higher limit I had established.

Mint tried to process and was declined!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!

I got the President of the bank on the phone, and lost my mind in the nicest possible way, while I was on the phone with the mint.

After 1 hour the President of the bank reset my limit, because the first answer was 2-3 days!!!!

It got done, surprisingly the mint gave me 1 more chance, and like i said I got my box of 5 sets today.

Although, I made my wife take the day off, because we knew we would not be here for delivery, and I have not got my driver's license updated yet, I did not want to go to UPS and try to explain why they should give me a box when the addresses did not match.

Nightmare over, I hope.

Now what to do, sell it or sit on it? >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file