Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Boxing Card thread - post your latest or favorite pick-ups

I've been seeing more and more interest in boxing cards in this forum, so I thought it might be fun to start a thread dedicated to our latest boxing pick-ups (both modern & vintage). I myself collect all sports, but over the last few years, I've really gained interest in boxing and a few of the other less collected sports (ie. golf, tennis, etc). Baseball cards are my first love, but it's always good to diversify.

Here are a couple of cards I picked up recently that I'm excited about:

1923 Union Jack - Monarchs of Boxing - Jack Dempsey (Dempsey's rookie year is considered 1922, so this is kind of like a 2nd year card for him)

1923 Burstein & Isaacs - Jack Dempsey (This issue is really tough to find in nice condition. This particular card is a Pop 1)

Thanks for reading guys - and I hope some of you other boxing collectors will contribute.

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
Jeff

Comments

• scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Happy to share a couple of recent pickups from boxing....

Jeffries exhibit

Corbett cabinet

Jack Johnson Susini
    One other to share - actually not a pickup but something which I sold on eBay last night. A T223 Dixie Queen with a nice front image but some back damage. My reason for sharing - read the write-up on the back of the card (sorry for the scan being a bit blurry, but should be legible). I love it!
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Happy to share a couple of recent pickups from boxing....

Jack Johnson Susini
    image >>

Fantastic cards there! What are the details on that Jack Johnson? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Thanks for sharing!
    Jeff

<< <i>One other to share - actually not a pickup but something which I sold on eBay last night. A T223 Dixie Queen with a nice front image but some back damage. My reason for sharing - read the write-up on the back of the card (sorry for the scan being a bit blurry, but should be legible). I love it! >>

I love those Dixie Queen cards. They are so tough to find. And did I read that right - 42 rounds? Good night! It's amazing how much sports have evolved over the years.

Thanks for sharing!
    Jeff
    The Jack Johnson is from a Cuban set called Susini, issued around 1915. Tough series to find - PSA only has 4 graded. And most of the ones found had been pasted into a scrapbook and are usually found with back damage.

I'm lucky enough to have two of these - here's the other one, with the back scanned as well.
    Scott
    And yep, 42 rounds is correct on the back of the T223 - and the fight only stopped when the police came to break it up! That's fantastic stuff...
    Those Jack Johnson's are gorgeous! Very cool card. I really love finding those rare foreign issues. Do you plan to get either of those graded? I just purchased this Joe Louis card (one of my few Cuban cards):

I don't know what it is, but Cuban cards seem to be impossible to find in high grade.
    Jeff
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    I just picked up a 1922 champions jack dempsy for 25 bucks on ebay. the card was warped but appeared to be centered well and looked pretty clean from the scans. I'm not sure what this card goes for graded but thought it was a great deal at 25. Ill post scans once I get it or check out the scans on ebay under completed auctions. I'm thinking it will grade around a psa 4. I also just got an 86 browns boxing holyfield. I'm affraid the card is miscut though. On the back you can see small black lines by the corners close to the border that look like where the card should be cut. The card is also slightly oversized. I'm not sure if I should try to trim it or if they are suppose to be slightly larger than regular cards. I bought a lot of 100 on ebay. They were from all different years and I don't think a single card was the same size. The 97 browns boxing were the best quality though.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

<< <i>I just picked up a 1922 champions jack dempsy for 25 bucks on ebay. the card was warped but appeared to be centered well and looked pretty clean from the scans. I'm not sure what this card goes for graded but thought it was a great deal at 25. Ill post scans once I get it or check out the scans on ebay under completed auctions. I'm thinking it will grade around a psa 4. I also just got an 86 browns boxing holyfield. I'm affraid the card is miscut though. On the back you can see small black lines by the corners close to the border that look like where the card should be cut. The card is also slightly oversized. I'm not sure if I should try to trim it or if they are suppose to be slightly larger than regular cards. I bought a lot of 100 on ebay. They were from all different years and I don't think a single card was the same size. The 97 browns boxing were the best quality though. >>

I think $25 is a steal for the 90 year old rookie card of one of the greatest boxers of all time. Nice pick-up. I'd love to see a scan. I'm not familiar with the '86 Browns. Is that Holyfield's first card? I have a couple copies of his 1991 Ringlords card, but that's it. I'd be interested to see a scan of those cards (the Browns), as well.

Jeff
    here are links to the ebay auction that has scans. The 86 Browns is Holyfields first card. I also have an 88 panini that is a better looking card imo. I'm not a huge fan of black and white cards... especially if they are produced in the 80s.

holyfield browns boxing
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280688948681&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Jack Dempsey
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120752980676&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Here are some boxing rookies that i have on my checklist..

Evander Holyfield 1988 Panini Supersport Italian (also has a 1986 browns boxing card)
    Sugar Ray Leonard 1981 Panini Sport Superstars
    Jack Dempsey 1922 The Champion
    Roy Jones Jr. 1991 Kayo
    Muhammad Ali 1966 Panini Campioni Dello Sport (1965 Lampo is another option.. and also has several earlier hand cut cards)
    Mike Tyson 1985 Panini Supersport Italian (also has a 1986 Question of sport.. whole thread on this)
    Joe Frazier 1967 Panini Campioni Dello Sport
    George Foreman 1973 Panini
    Floyd Mayweather Jr. 1997 Brown's Boxing
    Rocky Marciano 1951 Topps Ringside Boxing
    Sugar Ray Robinson 1948 Leaf Boxing
    Joe Louis 1935 J.A. Pattreiouex Sporting Events & Stars Boxing

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike Tyson Rookie 1

Mike Tyson Rookie 2

Going to get these in the mail very soon with some other items from this set.

• spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    Is that the same Jack Dempsey from the 50S?
    I'm not sure. I'm not a huge boxing fan... But know the name jack dempsey. I'm hoping that this the famous one.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Got this one in the mail today. These foil cards don't scan well so this is a camera phone pic. It looks very sharp in person.

Buying US Presidential autographs
    That is a fantastic foil card!!

The stickers fresh from packs have sat there for 25 years and come out with surface issues. I don't think I got one foil card close to mint.

Mike Tyson is only in the English verion.

This is a very nice example for sure!

Very nice buy Mike!
  • GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    I have the following 1902 Ogdens Boxing cards left form earlier ebay auctions. Shoot me a PM if interested in any of them

F Series Gus Ruhlin #205 PSA 5

C Series Jem Barry #112 PSA 4.5
    C Series Ben Jordan #115 PSA 4
    C Series #118 Billy Rotchford PSA 4.5

Dave
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Great thread! just got this one back of Cinderella Man. Doesn't look like Russel Crowe though.

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better

<< <i>here are links to the ebay auction that has scans. The 86 Browns is Holyfields first card. I also have an 88 panini that is a better looking card imo. I'm not a huge fan of black and white cards... especially if they are produced in the 80s.

holyfield browns boxing
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280688948681&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Jack Dempsey
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120752980676&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Here are some boxing rookies that i have on my checklist..

Evander Holyfield 1988 Panini Supersport Italian (also has a 1986 browns boxing card)
    Sugar Ray Leonard 1981 Panini Sport Superstars
    Jack Dempsey 1922 The Champion
    Roy Jones Jr. 1991 Kayo
    Muhammad Ali 1966 Panini Campioni Dello Sport (1965 Lampo is another option.. and also has several earlier hand cut cards)
    Mike Tyson 1985 Panini Supersport Italian (also has a 1986 Question of sport.. whole thread on this)
    Joe Frazier 1967 Panini Campioni Dello Sport
    George Foreman 1973 Panini
    Floyd Mayweather Jr. 1997 Brown's Boxing
    Rocky Marciano 1951 Topps Ringside Boxing
    Sugar Ray Robinson 1948 Leaf Boxing
    Joe Louis 1935 J.A. Pattreiouex Sporting Events & Stars Boxing >>

I've never seen that Browns before. I still think you got a great deal on the Dempsey rookie! And that's a top notch list of boxers you've got there.

As for the question about the two Dempsey's - the Jack Dempsey we've been talking about fought in the 20's. He is the more famous of the two and his nickname was the "Manassa Mauler". Great link to his stats

The second Jack Dempsey (actually the first) fought in the late 1800's. He was a great fighter (a Hall of Famer, in fact), but not as well known as the Dempsey of the 1920's. His nickname was "The Nonpareil". A link for his stats

David - you know how much I like those Tyson's you pulled from the Panini box. They're dynamite! I think you've got a real shot at a PSA 10 with one of them.

Mike - David's right - that is a fantastic Tyson foil rookie. Those are super tough! Are you planning to have that graded?
    Jeff

<< <i>Great thread! just got this one back of Cinderella Man. Doesn't look like Russel Crowe though.

image >>

That's a heck of PSA 7! Great card - looks better than the grade.
    Jeff
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a favorite card of mine...............

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

<< <i>
    Mike - David's right - that is a fantastic Tyson foil rookie. Those are super tough! Are you planning to have that graded? >>

Jeff, I'll probably just get it signed and then slabbed. I only collect autographed cards usually. Hopefully once he signs it, it will still be as crisp but you never know how they'll turn out with the extra handling.

Mike

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Mike - David's right - that is a fantastic Tyson foil rookie. Those are super tough! Are you planning to have that graded? >>

Jeff, I'll probably just get it signed and then slabbed. I only collect autographed cards usually. Hopefully once he signs it, it will still be as crisp but you never know how they'll turn out with the extra handling.

Mike >>

Well, good luck with getting the auto. You'll have to post it when you get it signed. I've never seen his rookie card autographed.
    Jeff

<< <i>Here is a favorite card of mine...............

image >>

That's a cool Ali card. I don't have any of his cards yet, but I'm sure I'll eventually get around to it. Is that considered to be his rookie?
    Jeff
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    There is some debate on Ali's rookie.........the first "cards" are his Lampo in 1965 that PSA will not slab and his 1966 Panini. There are a few other issues but those are handcut, etc.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

<< <i>There is some debate on Ali's rookie.........the first "cards" are his Lampo in 1965 that PSA will not slab and his 1966 Panini. There are a few other issues but those are handcut, etc. >>

Thanks for sharing the info. Ali's got a huge following in the set registry, especially for a boxer.
    Jeff
    Two more recent boxing pick-ups:

1929 Godfrey Phillips - Sporting Champions - Jack Dempsey

1929 Godfrey Phillips - Sporting Champions - Gene Tunney

Thanks again for letting me share. My wife doesn't really get a kick out of them like I do.
    Jeff
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Got this one in the mail today. These foil cards don't scan well so this is a camera phone pic. It looks very sharp in person.

image >>

Hot damn,never knew my top 2 fighters of all time on the same card.how does a card collector go 20+ yrs.
    never knowing this.I saw Hagler fight in Brockingyon,Mass. before he was marvelous,just Hagler,been a fan ever since.
    The Tyson,well saw his first fight,never missed another one.Great card Mike,whats the year on that?Gotta go
    try and get one on my watch list.

Edit-Will Hagler sign this?Have you seen one with both sigs??
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
    A new addition arrived in the mail today.

I'm not even sure of the details on this card, but I know it's probably from the 20's or 30's, it's French, it appears to be a coffee card and (most importantly) I've never seen one like it before. If anybody can identify it - please let me know.

Battling Siki

Jeff
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I haven't shared this one in a while, it is my grandfather carrying Jack Dempsey off their US Coast Guard ship. As the story goes Jack Dempsey was the director of physical fitness for the United States Coast Guard, and my grandfather wanted to make a statement, not sure what it was. I have recently had it framed and matted with the newspaper article and a service photo from both my Grandfather and Dempsey. I also collect the T9 set, down to just three!

I remember you showing me that photo a while back. What an awesome family keepsake.
    Jeff
    I just posted these over on the Tyson rookie thread, but I figured I'd post them here, as well - and try to bring this back to thread back to life.

I just got the two of these back in the mail from SGC today. Unfortunately PSA doesn't grade these, so I was forced to cheat...

Jeff

Got this nice raw card in the mail today! Really pleased with how strong it is.
    Grade it!
    Jeff
    NM-MT+ is my guess.

Very sharp raw card.

• swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    just picked this up, uncertain, if it is a rookie or not...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
    Glad to see more people picking up boxing cards!!!

Boxing just like non sport; it is very rare but many love the fighters just like the characters!!

<< <i>just picked this up, uncertain, if it is a rookie or not...

image >>

Cool Patterson. I've never seen that card before.
    Jeff
  • Nice thread, on a few of the rookie cards listed there are other cards from around the same time. For one Ray Robinson has an early 1940's exhibit that was issued (sorry no pic) before his 1948 Leaf, same goes for Jack dempsey and Ali have exhibits issued that can be claimed as rookie cards.

Here are a few boxing that I have (I really need to scan more of my boxing cards)-

<< <i>NM-MT+ is my guess.

Very sharp raw card. >>

No, I mean - you need to get that card graded! That's super nice.
    Jeff

<< <i>Nice thread, on a few of the rookie cards listed there are other cards from around the same time. For one Ray Robinson has an early 1940's exhibit that was issued (sorry no pic) before his 1948 Leaf, same goes for Jack dempsey and Ali have exhibits issued that can be claimed as rookie cards.

Here are a few boxing that I have (I really need to scan more of my boxing cards)-

image >>

Thank you for posting these! I love the Hassan Jack Johnson. That's a card I hope to own myself one day. I just finished watching the Jack Johnson documentary called "Unforgiveable Blackness" (directed by Ken Burns) - and it was super interesting. I highly recommend to any fan of boxing or really, any fan of documentaries. Jack Johnson was an incredibly dominate force during his time - to say the least.

Cool exhibit cards, too. I don't own any exhibit cards, but they seem to be very popular. Does PSA grade exhibits?
    Jeff
    Here is the boxing part of my signed rookie card collection. It's not as beefed up as some of the sports in my collection but it's a nice slice of signed modern rookies.

Holy cow, Mike!! That is insane!!
    Jeff
  • Quit flexing your Tyson's!!!

JK, seriously Mike those are Awesome!!!

I love the inscription and would gladly buy the foil of your hands! If you sell let me know.

Wasn't it really cool getting his auto?

Awesome, awesome, awesome!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    I just picked up these two to get signed at the SunTimes show out here in November. Holmes has an earlier Sportscaster card but I have never been a fan of those and I consider his Panini card to be his real rc.
    I'm with you - the Sportscaster cards have never done much for me. Great pick-ups!
    Jeff
  • Figured I'd throw my hat into the ring...

1922 Comic Life Sporting Champions (UK) Jack Dempsey / Donald McKinlay (footballer) PSA 4

1954 A&BC Chewing Gum "All Sport Series" (UK) Randolph Turpin PSA 8.5

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Welcome to the boards, Alan!
    Jeff
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

I dig this thread. Lots of great stuff.

Two of my cherished...