Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Boxing Card thread - post your latest or favorite pick-ups

Comments

• Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    now here's one that i hope won't be making this chain as a pickup..

Grubbiest 7 ever?
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

<< <i>now here's one that i hope won't be making this chain as a pickup..

Grubbiest 7 ever? >>

Why can't I ever seem to get that grader? Holy Cow! PSA 4, at best.

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Very ugly card.......yikes!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
  • Options
    Cut from a sheet/booklet from that era.....
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I got this back recently from PSA (graded Auth - as it's hand cut). This is a tough set to track down.

1927 Hudden & Co. Famous Boxers #5 - Jack Johnson

Jeff
  • Options
    RingKingRingKing Posts: 29 ✭✭
    I went to the National today in Baltimore hoping to find some older boxing as well as more modern. Really struck out badly. I could not find a single Panini in the house be it 60s, 70s, 80s. Didnt see a single Tyson card of any kind. Plenty Ali auographs and such but no cards, graded or raw. Massive disappointment. Did I miss the table with all that stuff? Thought for sure they might be some Tyson at least since he is an autograph guest on Sunday. There was one dealer with some nice pennants from Ali fights and did see some Ali programs and a few Ring magazines, but very little overall other than one dealer with a very nice stock of graded 51 Ringside. I'm going back on Saturday and may be forced to buy the PSA8 Walcott from that set. Anybody else go there looking for boxing and come away as disappointed as I was? And, by the way, I went with a couple grand to spend and couldn't find the material to spend it on. Quite frustrating.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear the boxing selection was limited. That's too bad. I'm not attending this year, but it's sad to know there isn't much in the way of boxing. Did you notice much in the way of PreWar boxing?

What were you looking for aside from Tyson cards? Anything in particular? I hope you have better luck on Saturday!
    Jeff
  • Options
    There was some pre-war boxing but nothing that much better than what I see regularly on ebay. Nothing that really blew me away. Granted, I can't say I saw every single table but I was pretty thorough going thru the hall. Usually you see at least 1 or 2 booths where they feature boxing, old or new. Did not see it there. I was looking for ANY 60s/70s/80s Panini boxing. Saw ZERO. Thinking about it, I saw a few relic type cards of Ali from recent sets.
  • Options
    wow, surprised that no Panini boxing made any tables. Given the continued trend towards oddball/non-traditional releases, I bet a European dealer could build inventory in all sports for a couple years, fly over to the national, and make a killing. Either way, hope you have better luck over the weekend!

Great Johnson, Big80s! keep them coming!
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Here is the only boxing item I picked up at the National. Not a card, but I thought it was pretty cool

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I have never really seen any foreign cards at the shows I've gone to. The only boxing I ever see is 48 leaf marked up about 10x what its sells for on ebay.. Or 51 topps.. Also higher than what's on ebay. Shows are great for the 4 major sports part of my collection.. But ebay seems to be the best for the oddball stuff

3 new pickups that kinda fit this thread are some Panini sealed packs from 66 (ali rookie) 68 and 69. I haven't received them yet but will post some scans when I get them. I'm also waiting to hear back from psa if they can grade these or not. Hopefully ill see a cassius clay on the top or back image
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Those packs sound really nice....great job on getting those!
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I am probably going to the National on Sunday, and will be bringing part of my collection of Panini Muhammad Ali cards, including the 1966 Panini PSA 9 that I currently have on eBay.
    If you are interested and will still be there on Sunday, shoot me a PM...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

<< <i>Here is the only boxing item I picked up at the National. Not a card, but I thought it was pretty cool

image >>

Very cool item, Beck! I'm a big Jack Johnson fan.
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>I have never really seen any foreign cards at the shows I've gone to. The only boxing I ever see is 48 leaf marked up about 10x what its sells for on ebay.. Or 51 topps.. Also higher than what's on ebay. >>

This gave me a good laugh, Chad. I've had the EXACT same experience at shows looking for boxing cards. Nothing but overpriced, beater '48 Leaf & '51 Topps cards. I've never been to a show and seen any pre-war Boxing that peaked my interest aside from an A&G John L. Sullivan. It's definitely slim pickings.

I think Miklia has it right. Head overseas for a while and pick up as much Panini and other oddball misc sport cards you can get your hands on (at a fair price). Bring it back to the states for grading, and then set up shop at the National.
    Jeff
  • Options
    I think a lot of foreign cards as well as boxing and wrestling would do really well at the National as it would be unique to what you typically see there....I can blaze by tables pretty fast as my niche is quite narrow. Still is great though as I love to see what is out there and see the best of the best. Gary, the Boxing Collector, has some great items and sets up at the national. He used to be a huge buyer of boxing cards on ebay. I do not think that he brings all this stuff to the National and you may have better luck when the National is in Illinois as he is from there.
  • Options

<< <i> Gary, the Boxing Collector, has some great items and sets up at the national. He used to be a huge buyer of boxing cards on ebay. I do not think that he brings all this stuff to the National and you may have better luck when the National is in Illinois as he is from there. >>

I'm happy to hear that. I'm planning to make my first trip to the National next year in Chicago.
    Jeff
  • Options
    I just picked up a new Lampo Clay rookie. This is one of the nicer ones that I've seen in hand. No surface issues, and nice corners. Sorry for the dirty scanner.

Jeff
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Really nice clay Lampo. Congrats on the pick up. That card is an SMR article away from from being huge imo.

This just popped today for me. I'm just happy it was slabbed. Not a great grade but a tough card. Ill post a scan when I get it back

Joe Louis. 1935 United Tobacco PSA 2
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Thanks, Chad. That's 1935 UTC Joe Louis - is a tough card! Congrats to you! What I don't understand is why it's impossible to find in high grade? I'm wondering if it wasn't released loose in tobacco packages? I don't think I've ever seen one without the severe staining.

BTW - you're right about the Lampo's needing an SMR feature. One day - they will be HUGE!!
    Jeff
  • Options
    The Lampo is my favorite Ali card....once had four of them at one time and don't own one now.........I had pre-grades with Beckett and they were three 5s and a 4 I believe. I thought they were a bit better than that.....was hoping for a 7 but a few looked like 6s to me.....
  • Options
    I've been surprised by the grades I've gotten back on Lampo's I've had, as well. I think this one is a safe bet for a PSA 4 or PSA 5. I'd be very happy with a PSA 5.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Years ago on ebay thee was a Beckett 7 that was bid up to $7000 and did not make the reserve. I am unsure of the legitmacy of the auction but after that I went on the hunt for Lampo Clays and was rather successful although I spent current market price for them or a bit under then......was hoping to make a killing on them but eventually sold them for about cost after not getting the grades from Beckett that I wanted.....
  • Options
    I would be very interested to see what a PSA 7 or higher Lampo would bring on eBay.
    Jeff
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Great Dempsey! Is that new?
    Jeff
  • Options
    new to me ... That is a fun set!
  • Options
    It is! Not to mention, with a little patience you can find some high grade stuff for a decent price.
    Jeff
  • Options
    I like that Dempsey as well
  • Options
    I picked up a really sweet group of boxing cards from the 1988 Panini set. Razor sharp and I am going to have some of them graded -- Tyson, Chavez, Holyfield, etc... My question if anyone knows -- if this a rookie for Julio Cesar Chavez? I have been sdearching around and I can't seem to find any issue of him from before 1988. Obviously I could be missing an obscure issue. Anyone have a clue? Thanks.
  • Options
    I recently won an auction on eBay for the '97 Mayweather Browns MT 9 and was wondering if their are any other Mayweather cards worth getting? I know their is a '98 or '99 Browns card as well but unsure if that is a good one to get and even where to get one. Are those the only two Mayweather Browns cards? Any help/advice would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Great question - I'll let one of the other guys answer this, as I'm not as well-versed in modern boxing cards.
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>Great question - I'll let one of the other guys answer this, as I'm not as well-versed in modern boxing cards. >>

Thanks for the response, any insight would help.

Here is the PSA 9 I got

• Options

<< <i>I recently won an auction on eBay for the '97 Mayweather Browns MT 9 and was wondering if their are any other Mayweather cards worth getting? I know their is a '98 or '99 Browns card as well but unsure if that is a good one to get and even where to get one. Are those the only two Mayweather Browns cards? Any help/advice would be appreciated. >>

There is no 1998 Browns set, but there is a 1999 set in which Mayweather appears. To me, it's a tougher find in top notch condition because the cards are black bordered.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I recently won an auction on eBay for the '97 Mayweather Browns MT 9 and was wondering if their are any other Mayweather cards worth getting? I know their is a '98 or '99 Browns card as well but unsure if that is a good one to get and even where to get one. Are those the only two Mayweather Browns cards? Any help/advice would be appreciated. >>

There is no 1998 Browns set, but there is a 1999 set in which Mayweather appears. To me, it's a tougher find in top notch condition because the cards are black bordered. >>

Thanks..I will be on the look out for that.

How many Browns sets are there anyway?
  • Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Here is a Peter Jackon cabinet card from my collection.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    I'd love to see it!
    Jeff
  • Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Hello, I can't seem to upload any photos. I give up.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open a Photobucket account. Upload them there.

Then you copy and paste the IMG code into the thread and you are set.

• Options
    scans received
    Jeff
  • Options
    Here are some of the scans Greg sent. Fantastic cards, I may add...

Jeff
  • Options
    Nice cards. I am new to useing this site how can lode pics. I am useing a cell phone can I email the pics to someone?
    jesse6131414
  • Options
    Some banging cards there
  • Options
    1348786038539.jpg
    jesse6131414
  • Options
    jesse6131414
  • Options
    Nice Money Mayweathers!
  • Options
    Thanks
    jesse6131414
  • Options
    Is the johnny tapia card a rookie??
    jesse6131414