Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Boxing Card thread - post your latest or favorite pick-ups

Comments

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    By the way - I thought PSA wasn't grading the Lampos. Did that change or am I confusing it with another card? Also - I just checked the pop report and it looks like you've got the highest graded Ali Lampo - that's a HUGE card!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I think psa has only been grading these for about 6 months. Its a card I want for my personal collection but I'm also not to concerned about condition so I might sell this one and try to pick up another raw one in lesser condition. I haven't decided what to do with it yet. I put the valida panini on ebay though. I've seen a bgs 3 sell for over 1000 a few months ago.. I'd be happy with half that.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Lampo with a text back on it (rare) went for almost $2200 ungraded......
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>Lampo with a text back on it (rare) went for almost $2200 ungraded...... >>

I was watching that auction, too - pretty amazing. Ali cards seem to be red hot lately.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA 8 Clay

Wow check out this auction! I realize this is a thread dedicated to recent buys but thought this was note worthy so I am posting it here. That is an expensive card!
  • Options
    Did it sell at that price? That price is crazy talk!
    Jeff
  • Options
    I have no way to confirm if it is a true sale but it seems quite high if you look at uncut sheets that have sold for less then $400. If it is indeed real, I would say buying a few uncut sheets and hand cutting them would be a potentialy great gamble.

I checked his feedback and there was no information on this item. He has sold some rare items in the past and sold an Arnold Palmer PSA 6 like yours for $795 last year.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I thought there was was a bgs 8 lampo that sold for 9500. Could anyone with Vcp confirm?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    someone?
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>I thought there was was a bgs 8 lampo that sold for 9500. Could anyone with Vcp confirm? >>

Better late than never - I just saw this post.

To answer your question - a BGS 8.5 sold for $9,500. THAT is crazy.
    Jeff
  • Options
    I finally had a huge submission pop (all vintage boxing & golf). Lots of cards for my registry sets - but here's two that I'm extra excited about:

NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1933 TRUMPF CHOCOLATE 1 JACK DEMPSEY

NEAR MINT 7 1922-1923 THE CHAMPION 9 JACK DEMPSEY SPORTING CHAMPIONS

NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1926 SPALDING CHAMPIONS GENE TUNNEY BOXING (this is a one of the blank back promo cards, but unfortunately PSA didn't label is as such)
    Jeff
  • Options
    i have a blank back of a wrestler from the spalding set and disappointed that this variation is not noted. I have registry sets of the wrestlers with the ad back and the biography back and PSA did not recognize those either. You can find some with 1927 backs too.
  • Options

<< <i>i have a blank back of a wrestler from the spalding set and disappointed that this variation is not noted. I have registry sets of the wrestlers with the ad back and the biography back and PSA did not recognize those either. You can find some with 1927 backs too. >>

Yeah - I haven't quite figured that set out. All I know is they've got some great athletes in there, and they seem to go for pretty good scratch.
    Jeff
  • Options
    My latest boxing pick-up. I'm still waiting on it to arrive, so this scan is the best I can do, but it appears to be pretty nice.

1908 Ogdens Pugilists & Wrestlers - John L. Sullivan

Jeff
  • Options
    A new card leads to a new collecting focus...

I've been following this set for a while, but have never owned any of the cards. I picked up this Tunney card along with a few others recently and I've fallen in love with the 1929 Rogers Peet set. There's also a Jack Dempsey card in the set that I hope to eventually pick up. Anyways, great multi-sport set for those that are interested, but I digress...

I recently posted that I completed my 1923 Burstein Isaacs (mixed type) set, which I was very proud to finish. But I've taken it a step further. While putting together my mixed type set, I came across an opportunity to pick up the All Capitals variation of this set. This variation is very tough to come by, and I'm really excited to have 49/50 in PSA slabs now. Here's a link to my new All Capitals set on the registry: 1923 Burstein Isaacs - All CAPS. This is a set that I might not ever be able to top in terms of rarity.

As always, thank you for letting me share.
    Jeff
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    A recent pickup - a Newsboy Peter Jackson - looks nicer than the grade due to a minor erased pencil mark on the back.....
  • Options
    That card is amazing! Do you have any idea what other fighters are in that set? That's a great looking card.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Thanks! I am also aware of two Jim Corbett Newsboy Cabinets (a portrait and a fighting stance); not sure if there are any other boxers, but there are several baseball ones (NY / Brooklyn) which all sell for big bucks (probably about $1K for a VG common?)....
  • Options
    Then I'll expect you to post the Corbett's when you score them, as well my friend! Cool card and I appreciate you sharing it.

Keep them coming fellas - this is a community thread.
    Jeff
  • Options
    The Corbett fighting stance Newsboy cabinet has the same pose as this cabinet of mine - I don't have the Newsboy one but would love to acquire one!

• Options
    Those are super cool cards! What are the dimensions on those? They look like a small poster!
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>Those are super cool cards! What are the dimensions on those? They look like a small poster! >>

I don't have them here with me, but offhand I would say just a bit smaller than the T3's (T9's for boxing).
  • Options
    Gotcha. Well, at least they'd display really nicely!
    Jeff
  • Options

Got this in the mail today for $50 delivered. Seemed like a good price to me.

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Where did all of you boxing guys suddenly come from?
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Not sure what you mean. There have been threads on here for quite some time about boxing cards.

Personally I only collect Tyson but Jeff who started the thread has a crazy collection of vintage boxing cards.

• Options
    Maybe that sounded wrong ... I'm a big boxing guy myself
  • Options
    You should hook up with Jeff. He has an amazing collection.

I have quite a few high grade Tyson's and hopefully a few more as I have 4 Panini stickers at PSA now but that is it.

Spend a few minutes going back in the thread and you will see some awesome stuff.

• Options

<< <i>Where did all of you boxing guys suddenly come from? >>

Welcome to the thread! I love me some boxing cards. What do you collect?

Jeff
  • Options
    PS - D, that 9.5 Tyson was the best deal I've seen in a while.
    Jeff
  • Options
    When I renew my membership I have a '47 D Cummings set, 38 Cartledge set and a 38 Cartledge glossy set all boxed up and ready to go.

Maybe a few upgrades in there for the Cartledge set and be able to complete my Cummings set.

I am slowly working on the Joe Louis master set.

Other issues as they interest me ... Some great cards have been posted earlier in here.
  • Options

<< <i>When I renew my membership I have a '47 D Cummings set, 38 Cartledge set and a 38 Cartledge glossy set all boxed up and ready to go.

Maybe a few upgrades in there for the Cartledge set and be able to complete my Cummings set.

I am slowly working on the Joe Louis master set.

Other issues as they interest me ... Some great cards have been posted earlier in here. >>

Those are some classic sets, my friend. I really like the Marciano rookie in the '47 set.

How rare in the glossy Cartledge compared the the regular.

I just had a couple of rare Joe Louis cards slabbed by SGC (I'll post scans). It breaks my heart that PSA won't slab some of these issues yet - so I have to go with the other guy.
    Jeff
  • Options
    before I took a break I had just finished the Churchman set all 8s and 1 8.5 ...

The Cartledge sets are fun to build except for the 2 variants
  • Options
    Here is some of my boxing artwork

-Jason
  • Options
    Sweet artwork!
  • Options

<< <i>Sweet artwork! >>

Thanks!
  • Options
    You guys got me all excited talking about boxing cards - so I decided it was time to post some recent pick-ups. I gave up buying cards on eBay for Lent (at least I'm attempting to give it up), so I've been concentrating on grading what I already have. So the majority of these just came back from the grader.

1927 CHOCOLAT D'AIGUEBELLE GENE TUNNEY BOXE (Yes it's a total beater - crease down the center and a pen mark on the bottom, but only one graded by PSA so far)

1986 Question of Sport - Mike Tyson rookie (Just got these back from SGC. I sure wish PSA would slab them!)

1966 Panini - Cassius Clay (I love this card - PSA does grade it, but I threw it in with the SGC batch)

1955 Knorr cards of Tunney & Joe Louis (both Pop 1's - with no other examples graded)

1949-50 Figurina Omnia - Joe Louis (Pop 1 - with no other examples graded)

1937 Globo Gomme Chewing Gum - Dempsey, Schmelling & Louis (all three are Pop 1's - with no other examples graded)

A lot of these cards aren't in great shape - but I'm very excited to own them and have them slabbed (even if it's not PSA).

Thanks for letting me share, guys!
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>Here is some of my boxing artwork

-Jason >>

Amazing work, Jason - I need some of that!
    Jeff
  • Options
    Love the boxing cards in the SGC slabs...I have some wrestling that I wish PSA would slab but they don't. I have been holding out but eventually they will find their way into a slab of some kind. Your slabbed boxing cards for obscure issues is motivating me with my wrestling issues.....keep it coming.
  • Options

<< <i>Love the boxing cards in the SGC slabs...I have some wrestling that I wish PSA would slab but they don't. I have been holding out but eventually they will find their way into a slab of some kind. Your slabbed boxing cards for obscure issues is motivating me with my wrestling issues.....keep it coming. >>

Thanks, buddy! I like the way the SGC slabs look, as well - but I'm a loyal PSA guy, if they slab the issue in question. For some reason, SGC seems to have a pretty good grip on the older boxing issues, though.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Just picked up this 1896 pin - only one other has been graded by PSA - these are super hard to come by!

• Options
    I love that Corbett pin, Scott! I've never seen those before, but what a cool item.

Jeff
  • Options
    I have a Muldoon but it is only graded a 4. I like that little thing...
  • Options
    Here's a recent pick up for my Jack Dempsey collection. I don't know much about it, but from what I gather it's a Spanish playing card from the Amatller Chocolate company. I would guess it's from the late 20's or 30's.

Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>I have a Muldoon but it is only graded a 4. I like that little thing... >>

Feel free to post it if you feel like sharing. I'd like to see it!
    Jeff
  • Options
    I saw a Sonny Liston Panini sticker that looked really cool. It was a PSA 7 and from 65 or something like that.

Did you win that?

• Options
    That was not me. I'd be curious to know how much it went for, though. I think the Sonny Liston rookie is a '66 Panini. I believe he's got a hood on in the picture if my memory serves me right.
    Jeff
  • Options
  • Options
    Whoever pulled the trigger on that got a heck of a deal.
    Jeff
  • Options
    I had it on my watch list and thought it would bring some nice money. I think the final selling price seemed low but it appears he does not have much of a fan base.

In the end you have to have people who want to own your memorabilia.