Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Boxing Card thread - post your latest or favorite pick-ups

Comments

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Jeff ... the link asked for a password >>

Thanks for the heads-up. I had it private while I was working on it. Should be fixed now.

On a related note - for some reason when I changed my signature line it reset my avatar. I know absolutely nothing about coins (My avatar is currently some sort of penny), so I feel like I've lost a bit of my identity. Does anybody know how to get that back or do I have to wait until they allow the monthly uploads?
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW ... I love the Union Jack!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Thank you, amigo! It's one of my favorites!
    Jeff
  • Options
    Is there any cards of former light weight champion Jimmy Carter????
    Jose
  • Options

<< <i>Is there any cards of former light weight champion Jimmy Carter????
    Jose >>

Here's all I could find...

Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is there any cards of former light weight champion Jimmy Carter????
    Jose >>

Here's all I could find...

image >>

Thank you!!!
    many times i made ebay searches and all would get i a few pictures and a million president Carter items
    and looks like all i had to do is write James instead of Jimmy. again great help.
  • Options
    I'm happy to help.
    Jeff
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Here is my latest addition to my rookie card collection:

Hook'em
  • Options
    Great pickup, Eloy!! That's a classic boxing card you've got there. You're assembling one heck of a rookie card collection there. Do you have a list anywhere.
    Jeff
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    love the card......
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Great card. I'm suprized how cheap that card goes for. I got mine raw for about 25 bucks. It only graded a 3 but for a hof rookie card from 1922 I thought it was a steal
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭

<< <i>Great pickup, Eloy!! That's a classic boxing card you've got there. You're assembling one heck of a rookie card collection there. Do you have a list anywhere. >>

Thanks Jeff, I apreciate the compliment and your help finding me some of those tough cards. I don't have my cards scaned and posted anywhere, I need to make that a project. I have to say my collection took a volume hit today as I sent Probstein 63 cards to sell for me. I am going after a 1984 Star BGS Jordan rookie.
    Hook'em
  • Options
    Good luck finding a great-looking Jordan, Eloy! I have a feeling you'll get it! Not to mention your consignments are in the right hands.
    Jeff
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I apologize for not reading through the whole thread, but I was wondering if there was a website that has a list of all boxing cards available?

I'm trying to find out if there was ever a card made for Sergeant Sammy Baker who fought during the '20s and '30s.
  • Options
    That's a great question - I don't honestly know where you'd look for something like that. I searched the PSA pop report for his name and it didn't show any boxing cards. If he an American fighter who fought during the 20s and 30s, the selection of cards was pretty slim. There were lots of foreign-issued cards, but they only featured the most well-known fighters from around the world.

Someone else on the thread might be able to chime in with more info for you.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Thanks, I just recently found out that he was a distant relative and I thought it would be cool to have a card of his.

He fought in 156 bouts.
  • Options
    He might also have an exhibit card - which PSA does not grade (and obviously wouldn't be in the pop report). So don't give up. You might email the guy (Adam) that runs this site: America's Great Boxing Cards. He's a wealth of knowledge. Good luck. You'll have to report back if you find something.
    Jeff
  • Options
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
  • Options
    Great minds, Alan. We posted at the exact same time.
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>Great minds, Alan. We posted at the exact same time. >>

Ha! I didn't even notice that!
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
  • Options

<< <i>http://www.josportsinc.com/catalog/view.php?id=9742

He has at least one exhibit. >>

Thank you. I bought the card.

Big80s, you said that PSA doesn't grade Exhibit, but will it at least slab them?
  • Options

<< <i>

Big80s, you said that PSA doesn't grade Exhibit, but will it at least slab them? >>

Congrats on the pickup! I don't collect exhibits, so I'm not exactly sure - but it's my understanding that PSA does not slab them. If that's the case, you might look into SGC's policy on them.
    Jeff
  • Options
    I just uploaded several more cards to my online list (with scans), including several key rookies. Here are a couple of the additions (new to my site, not new to the collection) - sorry for the large scan...

If you're interested in seeing the rest of my boxing collection that I've posted, I welcome you to drop by:

The PackGeek Collection

Thanks for letting me share.

Jeff
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Picked these up awhile ago...

they were a panel of two...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Nice Swartz! Love the Ali's!
    Jeff
  • Options
    Here is the "exhibit" card that I just purchased.

The magenta side has Sergeant Sammy Baker. He was my great grandmother's brother. I just recently found out that he was a pretty good boxer.

I would like any information at all or where I could find more information about this card or if there are any more cards of him out there.

I would also like to get it slabbed if possible. In what way would I find out what TPG would slab it? It measures about 5 1/4 by 3 1/4.

On the back is Rene Devos? and three spots of what is most likely is glue.

Is there any way to remove the glue? Do I care to remove the glue? (I don't care what it grades, just so long as it is slabbed.

Thank you in advance for any help in this.

Paul
  • Options
    Hi Paul,

Congrats on finding that card - it's super cool! I wish I knew more about them, but I'm not well-versed in exhibit cards. Your best bet for getting it stabbed would be SGC, I would guess.

You might contact Adam Warshaw from America's Great Boxing Cards, for more info. He's an expert in the field.

Good luck!
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Paul,

Congrats on finding that card - it's super cool! I wish I knew more about them, but I'm not well-versed in exhibit cards. Your best bet for getting it stabbed would be SGC, I would guess.

You might contact Adam Warshaw from America's Great Boxing Cards, for more info. He's an expert in the field.

Good luck! >>

I emailed Adam. I hope I hear something back soon.
  • Options
    Just crossed this over from an SGC 7.5. I still think this is one of the best buys in HOF rookie cards...

Jeff
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Great job Jeff. The Joe Lewis looks great for a 30's card!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Thank you, Mike! It's amazing how cheap the rookie cards for legendary boxers are compared to the prices people pay for PreWar baseball cards. You can still pick up a near mint Joe Louis or Jack Dempsey rookie for $300.
    Jeff
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Are they hard to come across in good condition? Sounds like very reasonable prices indeed,
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    They're not rare cards - but there aren't a ton of them out there in near mint or better. After a quick eBay search, here's what I found:
      a SGC 92 Joe Louis rookie (looks OC to me) for a BIN of $1300
        a PSA 7 Louis rookie for $395 BIN/OBO
          and an SGC 84 (7) Louis rookie for $380 BIN

So they're definitely available. And in my opinion - getting an HOF rookie card (from the 1930's) of an athlete of that status is a heck of a deal for around $300 or $400.
          Jeff
        • Options
          mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
          Agreed Big80s, that Louis is a classic card, and very reasonable.

Brings up an interesting question - from the top 50 HOF RC list, which cards do you think are the most under and overvalued? Here's my vote:

Undervalued:

1887 A&G John L. Sullivan - $1k for a PSA 7 of one of the top 5 boxing RCs from a top 3 all time pre-war set? Cheap.
          1890 Mayo Young Griffo - I've been picking up copies in the VG/EX range for under $100. wish i could buy 100 at these prices.
          1909 Ogden's Jack Johnson - classic card, classic set, classic player. a great card all around.
          1935 Pattreioux James Braddock - if only because of Cinderella Man, it should be worth more than $15 raw and $35 in PSA 7
          1958 DC Thompson Floyd Patterson - only $50 for a HOF RC that's 50 years old (and rare as hell) in PSA 7? Criminal.
          Liston, Spinks, Foreman, Hagler, Holmes and Duran Panini RCs. all tough, and as of now all can be had in EX+ for under $100. Panini is the topps of boxing. These will sky.

Overvalued:

1951 Ringside Marciano - ton out there, classic issue but still high
          1947 Sugar Ray Robinson - a bit too cartoony for my taste

Note that I really don't see the 'overvalued' cards falling much - even though I bought a nice marciano and robinson myself in the last few months - I just see a lot more upside in other cards. What's everyone think?

And one I wish was undervalued - Jack Dempsey RC (both the Champions and 1920 W529 issues). Neither is that great looking, which is a shame as a 90 year old RC of an all-time great should be more than a C-note. still don't see much upside on either.
        • Options
          Miklia,

I agree with your list of underrated vs overrated cards.

Here are a few of my personal picks:

Most Undervalued:
          1. Any John L. Sullivan cards (especially any from the late 19th century)
          2. Jack Johnson cards (especially the 1909 Ogdens card)
          3. Any and all Gene Tunney (except his Sport Kings & US Caramel cards)

Most Overvalued:
          1. 1971 Barratts Cassius Clay (without a doubt, my number one choice on this list)
          *Other than that - I feel like most vintage boxing cards a very undervalued.

Jeff
        • Options
          Ive been looking for a 48 Leaf Sugar Ray Robinson for a while and stumbled across this.
          Got it for peanuts. I thought it was a pretty cool error card and its recognized by PSA... one other one has been graded. This one is in rough shape but ive never seen it so scooped it up.
          Bob Montgomery Front

Sugar Ray Back
          Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
        • Options
          I also got this in the mail. I just got the panel cut and think it looks great.

1999 World Boxing Manning Pacquiao

• Options
          JustusJustus Posts: 179 ✭✭
          That Pac card is awesome!! Looks like pmcollectour might be in for some more business!
          Successful transactions w/Comicgeek68, Statman, Scotgreb, Aupt, captainthreeputt, diamondman, Mickey71, slantycouch, Bkritz, BABERUTHJOEDIMAGGIO, craigger, Huggyface, and many others.
        • Options
          Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
          Looks fantastic!!! That should definitely get a grade assigned to it.

The first one of those in high grade on EBAY will bring serious cash for sure!

• Options
          That does look awesome...... get it slabbed :-)
          Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
        • Options
          I'll join the party here with my Cassius Clay pickup for a card that has never been slabbed by PSA to date............

• Options
          mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
          Agree that it's looking good! I'm very interested in seeing how they'll deal with that white border at PSA. I got a few I'm waiting to cut to see how they grade them first. f.ex - will the trimming of the white from the upper left harm the grade here like a post hand cut? i hope not - that distinction has always seemed a bit silly to me.
        • Options

<< <i>Looks fantastic!!! That should definitely get a grade assigned to it.

The first one of those in high grade on EBAY will bring serious cash for sure! >>

Thanks. I thought the card had some potential but the last panel didn't seem to get any bids. It sold for 200 bucks with one bid. This is the only one i have so i prob won't sell it.. but if it gets a 9 or 10 and there seems to be a lot of interest in it then i might give ebay a shot.
        • Options

This is my most recent high grade boxing card I added to the DPeck100 collection.

I still think this card is going to be a monster.

• Options
          I saw the last one pull $200. When the opening bid is set that high you generally only get real buyers and not people bidding to watch the item or to try and steal it.

This card in a PSA holder will do very well. Trust me.

• Options
          the information i got back form PSA was to leave a hairline white boarder so they could see where the card begins. I would rather have the card so it wouldn't have any of the white showing.. but that was what i was told by psa. its not that noticeable.. so its not bad. The dotted lines on the box bottoms ruin those cards imo.

anyone have any info on that error card? any value in it?
        • Options
          Eagles, I like that Sugar Ray error card a lot. I don't know what an accurate value is on it - but very cool item, none the less.

DPeck - that Mayweather is killer! You have great taste in modern boxing.

WrestlingKing - as I stated in the other thread, I've never seen than Ali panel as a whole. I've seen a similar version before on eBay (not sure who it was made for). Great score!
          Jeff
        • Options
          RingKingRingKing Posts: 29 ✭✭
          Love the boxing discussion going on here guys. Anyone have a photo or info on the rookie cards for the Klitschko brothers? Thanks.
        • Options
          gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
          I love the Diet Coke Cassius Clay card! I have the Hostess Twinkies card that is similar, but have never seen that one!
          I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
          Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
        • Options
          I have all 12 panels for the Coca Cola set and some of them are from Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite..... I posted on another thread that I have the entire set right now although I probably will be breaking it up. It is a cool little set. I think these are a little tougher to separate than the Hostess cards and the size is a bit smaller and I would not want to get hammered by PSA with minimum size requirement. I think a little border with the four card panel might be the best way to do this set. It would only cost twelve grading fees and one would have the entire set of 48. Most of the panels have at least one collectible olympian on it.