Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Boxing Card thread - post your latest or favorite pick-ups

Comments

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I love those hard to find foreign issues. I'm happy to know I had a hand in finding an item in that top 6 list!

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    I posted them in no particular order, but, if I had to rank them, I would say your's is #3, with a bullet! The La Pie Qui Chantes are so tough! Thanks again for that card. Alan
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
  • Options
    My pleasure. I'm happy to contribute!
    Jeff
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I finally bit the bullet and picked this one up. The scans are not very good.. I'll post some better ones once i have the card in hand. Other than the centering the card looks pretty good in the micro scan. I'm hoping for a psa 7ish. I just realized that psa slabs these. They must have just started in the past few months. I think this is Ali's true rookie card. It his first card that is not hand cut or part of a game.

1965 Cassius Clay Lampo

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    That is my favorite card of Ali... I would have kept the four that I had, or at least one of them, if PSA would have slabbed them then.... I did get a good price so I cannot complain.

Congrats!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    how does it look to you? i haven't heard of many fakes but i'm always a little concerned when buying online from sellers i haven't dealt with before. I pulled the trigger though because i think the fact that psa will grade this should drive the price higher so i figured i'll get it now before i couldn't afford it. i also got a 66 panini valida fairly cheap. There is some glue on the back of that one but figured i'd get it slabbed too and see how it grades.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Nice Lampo!! That's a great looking card. I hope it grades out well for you.
    Jeff
  • Options
    That Lampo looks good to me. I had to take many chances in acquiring cards from overseas over the years and it always worked out alright for me. The centering is a bit off but it is such an epic card and I agree that in my opinion this is the Cassius Clay card to have. Now that PSA grades it, I might look for a nice one.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I'm pretty excited that psa will grade these. I just re upped my membership so ill be sending this along with the 81 hogan and 78 flair handcut cards on the 7 day voucher sub. I can't wait to get the card so I can put together the sub and ship it to cali.
  • Options
    Thanks for letting me know... I am throwing my hat in the ring and would love to find a Lampo
  • Options
    Nice Lampo. Add my hat to the ring, as I would love to find one in any condition.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just picked this up this week and was wondering if PSA grades these. I checked under the population reports but did not find them.

Does anyone know if they do and if this is a tough card to find?

Thanks
  • Options
    I'm not all that knowledgable regarding new cards, but I'm pretty sure PSA grades these. I think they were inserts in one of the recent Goudey baseball sets.
    Jeff
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

I'd send an email to PSA to find out for sure, but my recollection is that PSA does not grade those because they are unlicensed. Great looking card though.

• Options

<< <i>I'd send an email to PSA to find out for sure, but my recollection is that PSA does not grade those because they are unlicensed. Great looking card though. >>

Is this about the tyson or lampo? I'm pretty sure they grade both. I think the tyson is just an insert in a mainstream topps set... And the lampo card is on the pop report. A total of 6 have been graded so far 3 of each variety. There is the one that I have with just the number on the back and there is another one with text on the back. I'm not sure if one is mire rare than the other. Considering I have the one with just the number I would bet that the other one will be way more valuable.
  • Options
    It is the mini card from this set.

Sport Kings

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd send an email to PSA to find out for sure, but my recollection is that PSA does not grade those because they are unlicensed. Great looking card though. >>

Is this about the tyson or lampo? I'm pretty sure they grade both. I think the tyson is just an insert in a mainstream topps set... And the lampo card is on the pop report. A total of 6 have been graded so far 3 of each variety. There is the one that I have with just the number on the back and there is another one with text on the back. I'm not sure if one is mire rare than the other. Considering I have the one with just the number I would bet that the other one will be way more valuable. >>

I meant the Tyson. It's from Sportkings which is a card company unto itself and not affiliated with Topps.
  • Options
    Gotcha... I've seen these on ebay before... I always thought they were just an insert in a mainstream set. Didn't know they were their own company.
  • Options
    I paid $20 for it the other day. I checked a recent Beckett and the high book on it would be $45. I have no clue how acurate that is.

Eagles do you have any idea what the mini has sold for in the past?

The condition is pretty strong which is good and I was thinking that if there was ever a registry set for Mike Tyson I would need it and so I snagged it.

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I posted this in another thread...figured I would post it here too! The great Max Baer. His son was Jethro Clampett on the Beverly Hillbillies.

• Options

<< <i>I posted this in another thread...figured I would post it here too! The great Max Baer. His son was Jethro Clampett on the Beverly Hillbillies.
    >>

Very nice. You can't go wrong with that set.
  • Options
    Just got this in the mail today...

Jeff
  • Options

Nice! Year of issue?
  • Options

<< <i>Nice! Year of issue? >>

Sorry - I was being rushed by my wife when I posted that scan, I'm usually better about details.

It's a 1911 Wills - Scissor Back - Jack Johnson

There are two back variations, with the Scissors Cigarettes being the more rare.
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>I posted this in another thread...figured I would post it here too! The great Max Baer. His son was Jethro Clampett on the Beverly Hillbillies.

image >>

Great card, Bobby! Are you building a Sport Kings set? I don't own any, but it's one of my all time favorite sets.
    Jeff
  • Options
    There are some really cool raw Panini singles on EBAY going off soon if any of you are interested.

Here is a link to one. I checked the Pop reports and PSA has these listed under 1981 Panini.

Larry Holmes
  • Options
    Here is a link to another really cool Panini card I have never seen.

Sonny Liston

In the Tyson DVD from ESPN Classic they compare his punching power to this guy. I am going to have to check Youtube and see if there are any clips as he looks very tough.

• Options
    Thanks for the heads-up, D!
    Jeff
  • Options
    I think liston has a 66 panini card but the valida backs seem to get a pretty big premium. I think the valida cards were distributed though a mail in offer which is why they are more scarce. I'm not 100 percent about
  • Options
    Jeff, nice Wills. I know you were very worried about it before it came in. Do you feel confident now that you have it in hand?

Added another Panama Al Brown to the collection—the 2nd La Pie Qui Chante pose that has been eluding me for quite some time.

(The pose looks a lot like another Brown I previously posted):

• Options
    Great Panama Al, Alan! I'm assuming that's from the recent group you found. Very clean card - congrats!

As for the Wills - I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. I sent it off for grading this weekend which will be the real test.
    Jeff
  • Options
    A sugar ray 81/82 panini just sold on ebay for 9 bucks on ebay. Kinda thought this would have sold for more. I haven't seen many on ebay. There is also a 65 clay lampo on ebay. Nervous to see what this goes for. I kinda paid a lot for mine which is still in transit from EU. Ill feel better once its in a psa slab and in my hand
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great card, Bobby! Are you building a Sport Kings set? I don't own any, but it's one of my all time favorite sets. >>

Yes - I am building the set. Only 48 cards, so it is an attainable goal for me. I am slighty over halfway home (25 or 26), so there is still some I need, but they are hard to find on Ebay (at the right price). Alot of them are EXTREMELY overpriced!
  • Options
    Let's keep this thread alive!

Occasionally I come across a card I've been looking for for a long time. And, it's in the instances that I tend to overpay for a card, because I'm not sure when I'll see another one for sale. I feel like I overpaid a bit for this guy, but I have been waiting a LONG time for one of these to come up for auction (now if I could only get my hands on the Dempsey from this set).

1921 COLLECTION FELIX POTIN BOXE JACK JOHNSON

Thanks for letting me share.
    Jeff
  • Options
    And since I haven't posted anything in a while - I'll post another boxing card victory. I recently completed my first "real" set registry set. It's only a 50-card set, but it's not an easy one to come by.

1923 Burstein Isaacs (Mixed Type) Prize Fighters
    Jeff
  • Options
    I was fortunate enough to pick up another tough card this weekend. This is the only one of these I've seen for sale:

1965 Bancroft Tiddlers - Cassius Clay

Jeff
  • Options
    I like it, and I am sure a 5 is decent for that card
  • Options
    I appreciate it. Like I said - it's one of those cards that I'm just happy to have a copy of. It's appears to be a really strong 5 - so I'm happy with it. I don't have it in hand yet, but I'll know for sure shortly.
    Jeff
  • Options

I dig that Bancroft Tiddlers... very Allen-&-Ginter-esque.
  • Options
    I also picked up the Palmer (sorry to bust out of the Boxing theme for a second). But I agree - they're really good-looking cards.

Jeff
  • Options
    Sweet palmer and clay cards. I've been looking for a palmer for a a while but no luck. For such a huge star in his sport arnold palmer has very few early cards to pick from. He is a tough rookie. I've never even seen his 68 mira card which is 3 years after the bancroft which I guess is his rookie. What was the damage on a card like that? If you don't mind me asking.
  • Options
    PM sent

I, like you - have been looking for these cards for a while too. These are the only copies I've ever actually seen for sale. There are higher cards graded, but I'm just excited to be the owner of one.
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>I was fortunate enough to pick up another tough card this weekend. This is the only one of these I've seen for sale:

1965 Bancroft Tiddlers - Cassius Clay

image >>

Someone just posted a PSA 10 on eBay for a BIN of $6,000.00
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    I just saw that PSA 10 - holy cow!!
    Jeff
  • Options
    I just got this one back. I'm very excited that it finally found a good home. I wish they had marked it as a "Scissors back", but no biggie. I'd rather it be in a PSA holder - but this will do for now...

Thanks for letting me share.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Still trying to hunt down a Mike Tyson PSA 10. There have been a few hit the pop report but none have hit EBAY.

I just picked these two up recently and have one more on the way from the seller in Cyprus. They both look good but I don't think the centering is strong enough to get a 10. Anything a PSA 9 or above I will be happy.

• Options
    Great work, D! That first Tyson PSA 10 to his ebay is going to be a fun one to watch.
    Jeff
  • Options
    There are two Italian version and one English version. I am really surprised it has been a few weeks since they hit the pop reports and none have surfaced. I figured the second they were in hand someone would have listed one.

• Options
    These were cards I picked up raw and got back from psa about a week ago. Pretty happy with the grades

1965 COLLEZIONI LAMPO I GRANDI CAMPIONI 154 Cassius Clay

1966 PANINI CAMPIONI DELLO SPORT 377 CASSIUS CLAY VALIDA - it's pretty tough to find the valida version in any condition. This might be one of his rarest cards

1922 THE CHAMPION 9 JACK DEMPSEY SPORTING CHAMPIONS
    1986 browns boxing
  • Options
    Amazing cards there! I really like those Clay's - especially that Valida back. Like you mentioned - they're really tough to find in any condition. Congrats on the pick ups.

Jeff
    Jeff