Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Boxing Card thread - post your latest or favorite pick-ups

Comments

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with a lot of these posters in that it is great to see that people are taking an interest in boxing cards. I think they are fabulous. I made some of my best sales with them and there are some where I wish I would have held on to them longer because it was not worth what I was getting in return at the time. I love the Panini Larry Holmes as he is vastly underrated as a boxing champion and to have that signed...well....I am certain there are very little if any signed to date. Keep them coming, I enjoy looking at this thread. Love the non-mainstream cards getting some attention!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Hey Jeff! Thanks for inviting me!

I agree completely with the sentiments expressed in this thread. I love collecting boxing cards (and even a little wrestling too) because they are so reasonably priced when compared to baseball cards of a similar age. Plus, the foreign issues are so interesting.

As I love the conversation about identifying rookie cards, I have begun working on an IBHOF—and other "stars" of boxing—rookie card database, and I will eventually (and slowly) be posting it here for everyone to see. It's been fun and DIFFICULT to say the least. Since it is pretty hard to pinpoint the EXACT year of release for a number of foreign issues, I am following a system where I highlight cards released early in a fighter's career, and where exact dating is possible, I indicate it.

For example, this card was released sometime during the 1930's. While it isn't his "rookie" card (I believe his earliest card is probably a 1928 Greiling Tobacco Card from Germany), I think it's pretty rare, and worth mentioning.

1930's Chicoree Belle Jardiniere Panama Al Brown

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I think your IBHOF rookie list would be an awesome reference, Alan!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Great cards everyone, love all the auto cards. I will make plans to scan in a few more of mine to post.
  • Options

<< <i>I think your IBHOF rookie list would be an awesome reference, Alan! >>

Jeff, I know you are a Tunney fan, so let me start the IBHOF rookie list off right, with a pair of Tunney rookies.

A little background on these cards: Since I have been collecting these cards, I have noticed that there are two distinct versions of W580 (both released in 1923). The most obvious difference between the two versions is in the card stock. The regular cards do not have a glossy surface and were issued in strips of ten. They were meant to be hand-cut (or torn) to separate. The second version—also known as the "Siam" variation—has a glossy surface. They were issued individually, machine-cut at the factory and have clearly defined borders. In addition, there are other more subtle differences between the "issues."

1923 W580 (US) Gene Tunney

1923 W580 (Siam) Gene Tunney

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
  • Options
    I love those Tunney's! Interesting to know both of those cards were actually machine cut. I had catalogued his 1926 Lambert & Butler as his rookie, but I guess if you're using his first card - these would predate the 1926's. Thank you for sharing.
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>I love those Tunney's! Interesting to know both of those cards were actually machine cut. I had catalogued his 1926 Lambert & Butler as his rookie, but I guess if you're using his first card - these would predate the 1926's. Thank you for sharing. >>

Actually, the US issued cards were hand cut as they were issued in strips of 10. Only the Siam issued ones (the bottom example in my previous post) were machine cut and issued individually. Sorry for the confusion. I tend to babble, as you know.
  • Options
    Figured I would keep this thing going with a few more IBHOF rookie cards.

1923 W580 (US) Kid Williams

1923 W580 (Siam) Kid Williams

1922 Boy's Friend Rising Boxing Stars (UK) Eugene Criqui

Due to a printing error, two "versions" of Criqui's rookie card exist. The card on top = name on right, while card on bottom = name on left (in relation to which side Criqui's name appears on the front side of the card, when the back side of the card is oriented properly). Neither version is considered to be any more rare than the other.

1923 W580 (Siam) Harry Wills

1923 W580 (US) Harry Wills

You can really see how this card was "torn" from a pre-existing strip.

1923 W580 (US) Frankie Genaro

1925-31 W590 (US) Frankie Genaro

Although this Genaro is NOT a rookie card, I have included it to illustrate the differences in appearance between the W590 and the W580 strip cards. W590 are often mistaken for W580, but the W590 are much harder to find. The similarities between the two issues led to some confusion for early hobbyists attempting to create checklists. Accurate checklists for both the W580 and the W590 sets still do not exist (although I am working on it, HAHA).

Sometime soon, I will try and post a more organized (probably alphabetically) IBHOF rookie card checklist (perhaps in a separate thread, as not to clutter this recent pick-ups thread).

Alan
  • Options
    I just got this guy in the mail today.

1939 African Tobacco Co. - World of Sport - Joe Louis

Jeff
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    - 1997 Brown's Floyd Mayweather jr. rc

I've been looking for this card for almost a year. I picked up this one raw off of eBay and is a solid PSA 9 with a good shot at a 10. However, I won't be grading it and will hold onto it and try to get it signed at some point in the future.

• Options
    That Mayweather is right on the money! (Pardon the awful pun.)

Here's a fairly obscure card of Joe Louis issued early in his career. It's not on the Joe Louis Master Set Registry, but I do plan on sending it in for grading. Due to glue residue and some paper loss on the back, it might only be a PSA 1 (if I'm lucky).

1936/7 Globo Serie CHAMPION tous sports 64 Portraits (France) #3 Joe Louis

• Options
    Great Joe Louis!
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>Great Joe Louis! >>

Thanks!

Here are a few more I was able to pick up from the same set, including IBHOF members Tony Canzoneri, Jim Braddock and Eugene Criqui. I haven't been able to come up with a complete checklist for the set yet. What I am sure of is that Globo is a multi-sport set, so not all of the 64 portraits are of boxers—I know there are a number of cyclists in the set, and, if I am not mistaken, a few race car drivers. Vive la France!

• Options
    Your French cards are amazing!
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    Looking through some of my stuff and found these boxing cards. Prettybeat up but interesting (yes I know one is a wrestler)

imageimage

imageimage

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    Muldoon is a Hall of Fame boxing trainer for JL Sullivan and has many boxing ties so you get an easy pass for that one in this thread
  • Options

<< <i>Your French cards are amazing! >>

Thanks!

and WCK, re: the londos/zakarias

Consider it yours. Just PM/email me your mailing address and I will send it out to you next week. I know you are the only one collecting the Londos Master Set, so it should be yours.

Regards, Alan
  • Options
    Can you turn on your PM? Thank you very much... I am really stoked with that card. Speechless! I'd like to send you something.........
  • Options

<< <i>Can you turn on your PM? Thank you very much... I am really stoked with that card. Speechless! I'd like to send you something......... >>

PM is on. Sorry about that. No need to send me anything. I only paid a couple bucks for it, and it belongs in your collection. No worries. I need the karma.

Alan
  • Options
    PM sent! I'd like to send you some good karma and a shout out to the fellow CU members on your gesture! Wahoo!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>That Mayweather is right on the money! (Pardon the awful pun.)

Here's a fairly obscure card of Joe Louis issued early in his career. It's not on the Joe Louis Master Set Registry, but I do plan on sending it in for grading. Due to glue residue and some paper loss on the back, it might only be a PSA 1 (if I'm lucky).

1936/7 Globo Serie CHAMPION tous sports 64 Portraits (France) #3 Joe Louis

image >>

I want this!!! That is such a killer card. I don't think you'll come across another one anytime soon.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Vive La France

Top Row: c1932 Krema (France) #22 Panama Al Brown, c1932 La Pie Qui Chante 3rd Series (France) Panama Al Brown
    Bottom Row: c1930's Magniez-Baussart (Chocolat) (France) Panama Al Brown, c1930's Chicoree Belle Jardiniere (France) Panama Al Brown (same card as earlier post)

Top Row: c1952 Felix Potin (France) Un Direct de Cerdan (Marcel)
    Middle Row: c1952 Felix Potin (France) Marcel Cerdan, c1952 Cantaloup Catala Perpignan Collection du Sport (France) Marcel Cerdan
    Bottom Row: c1940's-1950's Collection d'Actualities du Chocolat du Prado (France) Portrait de Cerdan (Marcel)*, c1950 Produits Cibon (France) #86 Marcel Cerdan

*I wish I could more accurately date the Prado Cerdan—don't worry, I'm working on it—as it might be one of his earliest cards.

• Options
    I've been noticing way too much of a bias towards France in my posts, so I almost feel obligated to post some Italian Chocolate boxing cards that came in the mail today.

We have three cards featuring boxer Aldo Spoldi. First, a little about the man: He fought Henry Armstrong 3 times and lived to tell about it. Not too many fighters survived three go-rounds with Homicide Hank! He also mixed it up twice with Sammy Angott (losing to Angott both times on points). Overall record of 99-32-8.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Those are really cool, Alan - I've never seen those Italian cards before.

I received this card in the mail today. It's officially the oldest sports card in my collection:

1887 Kimball Boxing Champions - Jem Smith

Jeff
  • Options
    Awesome Jem Smith, Jeff! Top notch. Good mailday all around!
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Great Jem Smith!

What are the years of issue on the Italian chocolate cards?
  • Options

<< <i>Great Jem Smith!

What are the years of issue on the Italian chocolate cards? >>

Thank you! And good question (re: the Italian cards).
    Jeff
  • Options
    I am comfortable enough at this point to say mid to late 1930's for the date of issue of all 3 of these Italian chocolcate cards. What makes these cards difficult to date is that according to boxrec, Aldo Spoldi was born in 1923, and turned pro in 1930 (making him 7 years old at the time of his first fight, LOL). So much for relying completely on boxrec. More accurately, Spoldi was born in 1912, and fought mostly in Europe (he was born in Italy) until 1934, when he took his show on the road. Eventually he made New York City his home.

If I get any more information, I will update this post. I do know that Zaini also issued soccer cards, and I believe they did so in the mid 1930's.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Finally got around to sending this one in to get slabbed:

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    That's pretty amazing, Mike! Your autograph collection is unparallelled.
    Jeff
  • Options
    I posted this a while back on the Mail Call thread, but I thought this was probably a better home for it. Since the subject came up - I figured I'd share my only intact boxing strip. It's one of my favorite pieces in my collection.

Much like vintage unopened packs - I'm amazed this was never separated.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Nice strip, Jeff! Seriously!
  • Options
    Thank you, sir!
    Jeff
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    Here's my most recent pickup:

Now as far as my favorites...I'll post more later.
  • Options
    That's so cool! Thank you for sharing. Anything Ali is cool by me. Does he sign a lot?
    Jeff
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    Not anymore, he used to be a great TTM signer but as his health declined, so did the signing habits. If you write to him now, you will receive an autopenned 3x5.

There have been a few private signings the last few years. You can also send something to the company that ran the signings and get it signed. (For a large fee.) That's about the only way to get something signed these days.
  • Options
    1926 Casanova (larger variation)

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Those cards are beautiful!! Congrats again, Alan.
    Jeff
  • Options
    These grades popped today. Some really tough cards, but I was definitely expecting better grades than these. Oh well, it's just fun to have some of these cards in slabs.

18698541 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT+ 4.5 1928 AMATLLER CHOCOLATE BOXE 25 GENE TUNNEY Card US
    18698542 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1928 AMATLLER CHOCOLATE BOXE 25 GENE TUNNEY Card US
    18698543 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1928 AMATLLER CHOCOLATE BOXE 26 GENE TUNNEY (REPARTIENDO CHOCOLATE) Card US
    18698544 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1928 AMATLLER CHOCOLATE BOXE 26 GENE TUNNEY (REPARTIENDO CHOCOLATE) Card US
    18698545 VERY GOOD 3 1928 AMATLLER CHOCOLATE BOXE 27 GENE TUNNEY (PREPARANDOSE AL ENTRENO) Card US
    18698546 EXCELLENT+ 5.5 1928 AMATLLER CHOCOLATE BOXE 27 GENE TUNNEY (PREPARANDOSE AL ENTRENO) Card US
    18698547 EXCELLENT 5 1928 AMATLLER CHOCOLATE BOXE 28 JACK DEMPSEY (CON SOMBRERO HONGO) Card US
    18698548 VERY GOOD 3 1928 AMATLLER CHOCOLATE BOXE 28 JACK DEMPSEY (CON SOMBRERO HONGO) Card US
    18698549 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1928 AMATLLER CHOCOLATE BOXE 29 BRIGHTON/DEMPSEY Card US
    18698550 EXCELLENT 5 1928 AMATLLER CHOCOLATE BOXE 30 DEMPSEY/RICKARD Card US
    18698551 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1928 AMATLLER CHOCOLATE BOXE 31 TUNNEY/DEMPSEY DURANTE EL MATCH Card US
    18698552 EXCELLENT+ 5.5 1928 AMATLLER CHOCOLATE BOXE 31 TUNNEY/DEMPSEY DURANTE EL MATCH Card US
    18698553 EXCELLENT 5 1928 AMATLLER CHOCOLATE BOXE 32 DEMPSEY/TUNNEY DURANTE EL MATCH Card US
    18698554 GOOD 2 1920 JUNCOSA CHOCOLATES NOTABILIDADES DE LA PANTALLA 2 JACK DEMPSEY Card US (this is one of my favorite cards in the world - too bad it has paper loss on the back)
    Jeff
  • Options
    Jun-freakin' believable! Tough cards, especially the Juncosa. Good grades! I can't wait to see some scans!
  • Options
    Love that Jack Johnson
  • Options
    Here are a couple more Greiling cards (German issued)

imageimage

• Options
    The last couple of cards look like the coupon is off the card.....the top boxing card is a version I have seen before other than the smaller than standard trading card size as well as the taller type card with a coupon attached...... cool cards.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    I picked up a few of the 1923 Willards series from Canada - love these tough cards...

• Options

<< <i>I picked up a few of the 1923 Willards series from Canada - love these tough cards...

image >>

Great pick-ups! The Willards are tough cards.
    Jeff
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    I just wish PSA would fit the slabs better for cards like these so they won't slide around. SGC is MUCH better at customizing their holders based on the exact shape and size of the cards.
  • Options
    Picked up this Greiling Panama Al Brown to go with the other one. I believe this one is his rookie.

imageimage
    Also picked up these two Primo Carneras. The first is a Zaini (from Italy) c1930's; the second is a Rose Marie Chokladen (Swedish) c1930's.
  • Options
    Great pick-ups, Alan! And a special congrats on the Panama rookie - I know that's an important one for your collection.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Thanks, Jeff. Yep, Panama Al is the main focus of my boxing collection, so it was great to add one that I have never seen. Let the quest begin for a Singleton & Cole Panama Al. Please indulge me by allowing me to put my top 6 Panama Al's in one post. I just wanted to see them all in one place. I added front and back scans for each card, so at least there is something new here.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage