Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Boxing Card thread - post your latest or favorite pick-ups

Comments

• Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    ...or, as you've demonstrated with your '82 wrestling set - be a leader in your own trend.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't doubt this card was bought a good price and longer term it will work for the buyer. I just mean you need interest. For what ever reason he does not get the respect he deserves. Over time perhaps he will.

The boxing card movement is clearly gaining steam and that is the bigger issue at hand. If that continues which I think it will, this will be a nice card to own.

Being early to the game is a good thing in the collectibles market and a longer term approach is how you really win.

• << <i>Whoever pulled the trigger on that got a heck of a deal. >>

Meh.

Liston doesn't get the respect from boxing collectors because he doesn't deserve it.

He'll be remembered for this...

Jeff, nice Amattler though!

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

<< <i>Being early to the game is a good thing in the collectibles market and a longer term approach is how you really win. >>

So true! Hopefully the game will continue to grow.

Hello Alan! Hey - have you seen this Dempsey before? It's new to me.
    Jeff
  • Jeff, I have. I think it's c1928. I have a Jack Sharkey from the same set, and I'm pretty sure there is a Tunney.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

<< <i>Jeff, I have. I think it's c1928. I have a Jack Sharkey from the same set, and I'm pretty sure there is a Tunney. >>

Cool. I've seen the image on some reprint card, but I haven't seen the actual card before. I need to find that Tunney!!
    Jeff
  • http://www.boxingcarddigest.com/19201929.html

David says 1927 (scroll down)
    Speaking of BoxingCardDigest...

A few people have messaged me about resources for boxing cards. I am by no means an expert on the subject, but I do enjoy learning about them and I've had a blast collecting them over the last couple of years. I'm very thankful for a few different sources of information that I've stumbled across or was referred to. And if you guys have any others to contribute - please add to this list.

First off: AmericasGreatBoxingCards.com
    This site is by a guy named Adam Warshaw, and he has a wonderful amount of knowledge on the subject. I'm currently reading the latest addition of his book (which I highly recommend, as well) called "America's Great Boxing Cards 2011-2012". It's a quick read with lots of illustrations and checklists.

Second: BoxingCardDigest.com
    This is another very helpful resource when it comes to Boxing cards. The author has lots of illustrations and some very interesting articles (I wish they added new articles more often).

These are good resources to get you started - but if you were to just choose one - I recommend Adam's book as your starting point.

Jeff
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    Still waiting to renew my membership so I can sub my set but just added these two:

Getting closer and hope to one day drop the 2 7s in my main set (I have two of these going).
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
    Nice pickups, Halos! That must be a heck of a set you're assembling there.
    Jeff
    slow and steady ... Weighted GPA 8.125 Complete 87.50%
    Only 2 big names left
    Speaking of the 1947 Cummings set - here's one that's about to go up in the Memory Lane auction. I'm curious to see how it does. CUMMINGS AUCTION LINK

I'm also curious to see how this lot does in the same auction: 1920 Cigarros Aquilitas Cuban Boxing Cards all PSA Graded and One and Only's

Jeff
    The Cuban cards are interesting ....

<< <i>The Cuban cards are interesting .... >>

Yes - I believe the set is primarily Cuban fighters, but there are some American fighters mixed in there. It's definitely a tough set to put together.
    Jeff

• << <i>

<< <i>The Cuban cards are interesting .... >>

Yes - I believe the set is primarily Cuban fighters, but there are some American fighters mixed in there. It's definitely a tough set to put together. >>

The grades on some of the aguilitas is outstanding. The uzcudun is especially nice. Those cards are oh so tough to find in top grade because they were a) made in Cuba and b) normally glued into an album. I'll be in on those but I doubt I'll have enough ammunition.
    BTW - take a peak at some of the items offered in the latest REA auction. Some beauties there, as well.
    Jeff
    I'm excited to announce - I took over 2nd place with my Registry Set: 1923 Burstein Isaacs - Famous Prize Fighters (Mixed Type)

However, I'm afraid there might be no catching up to RAS (#1).
    Jeff
    That's cool -- and the second set is nice too
    Thank you! It's been a pretty big undertaking putting together a high grade set of these cards.

Jeff
    A few recent raw boxing pickups:

1911 W.D. & H.O. WILLS GREEN STAR & CIRCLE Jack Johnson I have the Scissors back version, but needed this one for the collection.

1912 COHEN WEENEN & CO #18 Jack Johnson GREEN BACK This is one of the nicer examples I've seen - as the black borders cause lots of problems.

(Unidentified) French Chocolat card #75 Max Schmelling I saw this card in an auction and fell in love with it. It's a classic shot of the fighter.

As always - thanks for letting me share!

Jeff
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    I just picked up this. I'm checking with psa to see if they will slab it. I heard back from BGS and they confirmed that they will grade it. I might have over paid for it.. but its from 1999 and the next card i know of isnt until 2011...

1999 Manny Pacquiao World Boxing Card from Japan

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    HOLY COW, Eagles - that is incredible!! I love that card. Great hunting on your part, I didn't even know that card exists!
    Jeff
    Thanks. I'm pretty happy about it. I'll feel much better about it once it's cut and slabbed. I suck at cutting sheet cards and really don't want an "authentic" grade. I"ll have to solicite the services of someone on the board that is good at it..
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked the auction up on EBAY and I think you did great. That looks very rare for sure.

I got a paper cutter recently to try and cut out some magazine cards like this and still messed the card up.

My advice is find someone who is good at this and even if there is a fee involved pay it as it will be well worth it.

Good luck and awesome item!
    Thanks. Yeah..I just posted asking for help with cutting it. I'm not usually a fan of handcut cards but since it's so much earlier than his other cards and looks like a traditional card... I pulled the trigger. Hopefully I can get it cut and slabbed.
    Interesting pacman
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    i love that card of Pac Man......
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    Great card Eagles. You should do just fine with that purchase.
    I just got this one in the mail today. This set is one of my favorite Multi Sport sets, and of course I'm always partial to Dempsey:

Jeff
  • Sweet pac-man! It looks as though that panel was intended to be cut (by the way the cards are numbered), so you may as well cut away...

Jeff, is that Spalding Dempsey blank backed?
    Alan

<< <i>Jeff, is that Spalding Dempsey blank backed?
    Alan >>

It's a bio back. I was hoping for a black back or maybe a mislabeled Ad back, but no such luck.
    Jeff
    I'm still working with psa to the min size req so it can be graded with a number grade. Hopefully I can get some feedback and get it slabbed. I'm still looking for someone to cut it since I'm terrible at it. I have very little experience doing it.. And have ruined the few cards I have tried to cut. I had a nice payne stewart 1983 miller press card that I mangled and don't want to make the same mistake again. I would offer a fee.. And understand that whoever does it is doing it as a favor and will not hold them responsible if they mess up or if it doesn't receive a number grade... I would offer a bonus if it gets graded a 9 or 10 though.
    PSA 10 1987 Tyson is ending tonight. I just got outbid, wondering how high it will go..
    Wow - thanks for posting that auction. If some SGC 96's can fetch over $200 - I think this could go for around $500. On a side note - I still believe this card to issued in 1986.
    Jeff
    Ended at just under $300...I picked this up instead. I think more of those Tyson QS cards will be making their way onto the market. The pop 1 premium might not last. Either way, it's nice to see the interest!
    Nice pick up. The fact that they were listed as '48s instead of '47 may have helped your cause. Looks like a nice group of cards.
    Jeff
    Nice pick up ... I like the Red set!
    thanks guys, and agreed that no 'cummings' and the wrong year in the title might have helped. Not sure what I'll do with it yet, but will probably send along a few to PSA. halos, as you've more experience with this set are any of the less notable names worth grading if PSA 8ish?

I also picked up this beater set too, which I'll likely break up. Anyone want the wrestlers?
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I am closing in on a graded set of just the wrestlers. I think these ones are a little too low grade for me. There would probably be a couple singles I may want or you could let me know what they look like once in hand. Thanks for throwing it out there.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    Any of those Cummings cards that would pull an 8 or better that I don't have are worth sending in image ... I have apparently been not running my searches as I have missed a few that I would have picked up already today and the past couple of weeks.
    I actually got the pacquaio panel today. Pretty impressive by the seller to get it here from japan in that amount of time. The card looks great. The stock is pretty nice and it has a descent amount of gloss on it. Much better quality than SI for kids cards. I'm still looking for someone to cut it if anyone is interested in making a couple bucks.
    Eagles, you and I need to put a reward together for someone to cut our panels. Maybe we'd have better luck with twice the incentive.
    Jeff
    I'm in. I'm even willing to offer performance incentives. If. The card get a 9 or 10 they deserve a bonus.

<< <i>I'm in. I'm even willing to offer performance incentives. If. The card get a 9 or 10 they deserve a bonus. >>

Agreed! Sounds like a deal.
    Jeff
    If you guys don't find anyone by December, I'll be happy to cut them for you guys. I hope you don't have to wait that long though!

Halos, will let you know once they're in hand.
  • Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    A little boxing poppage if anyone is working on low grade sets.

VERY GOOD 3 1923 THE ROCKET FAMOUS KNOCK-OUTS 11 J.JOHNSON/J.WILLARD FAMOUS KNOCK-OUTS Card
    EXCELLENT 5 1923 THE ROCKET FAMOUS KNOCK-OUTS 7 BASHMAN/LEWIS FAMOUS KNOCK-OUTS Card
    VERY GOOD 3 1910 E79 PHILADELPHIA CARAMEL 27 SCRAPPERS MIKE TWIN SULLIVAN Card
    POOR 1 1910 T218 CHAMPIONS JAMES JEFFRIES PRIZE FIGHTER Card
    VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1910 T218 CHAMPIONS JAMES J. JEFFRIES PRIZE FIGHTER Card
    GOOD 2 1910 T218 CHAMPIONS JACK JOHNSON SIDE FACE-PRIZE FIGHTER Card
    VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT+ 4.5 1910 T218 CHAMPIONS JOE JEANNETTE PRIZE FIGHTER
    GOOD 2 1910 T218 CHAMPIONS BILLY WEST PRIZE FIGHTER
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better

<< <i>A little boxing poppage if anyone is working on low grade sets.

VERY GOOD 3 1923 THE ROCKET FAMOUS KNOCK-OUTS 11 J.JOHNSON/J.WILLARD FAMOUS KNOCK-OUTS Card
    EXCELLENT 5 1923 THE ROCKET FAMOUS KNOCK-OUTS 7 BASHMAN/LEWIS FAMOUS KNOCK-OUTS Card
    VERY GOOD 3 1910 E79 PHILADELPHIA CARAMEL 27 SCRAPPERS MIKE TWIN SULLIVAN Card
    POOR 1 1910 T218 CHAMPIONS JAMES JEFFRIES PRIZE FIGHTER Card
    VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1910 T218 CHAMPIONS JAMES J. JEFFRIES PRIZE FIGHTER Card
    GOOD 2 1910 T218 CHAMPIONS JACK JOHNSON SIDE FACE-PRIZE FIGHTER Card
    VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT+ 4.5 1910 T218 CHAMPIONS JOE JEANNETTE PRIZE FIGHTER
    GOOD 2 1910 T218 CHAMPIONS BILLY WEST PRIZE FIGHTER >>

Some great cards in there, Beck! Congrats. I love that E79 set.
    Jeff
  • Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Thanks! I really like that set too. The colors on even beat up e79's are awesome.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
    Hey friends,

I've been working on scanning in my personal collection, so I can share it with other fellow collectors. Collections are meant to be shared and enjoyed by others - so I'm trying to create a page to display some of the cards that are special to me. At the moment, I've only got Boxing cards up - but I'll eventually get some of my other sports cards on there. Anyways - if you're interested in checking out what I've posted, you can find them at The PackGeek Collection

Thanks for letting me share!

Jeff
    Hey Jeff ... the link asked for a password