Home U.S. Coin Forum

My wheat cents hoard

As some of you may know already I started a hoard of wheat cents few years ago. This are some of the pictures!!!!

I am close to 2 millions already
Keithimage

Comments

• kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Wowzers! I take it you didn't attain all those by just roll searching?
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    That is a lot of wheats! I would hate to have to sort them though.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    OMG! $20,000 in wheat pennies! I thought my son's group of $1,500 was a lot (I can't imagine how much that trash can weighs)! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow that's a lot of cents!
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    OMG, that is a full size garbage can huh? That is fantastic!
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I stole this from another thread, but it definitley fits this one!

-Paul
  • compromonedascompromonedas Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    My wife almost kill me when she saw all of this boxes!!!!

• Nice Ferrari.

What are ya gonna do with all those? I'd hoard something more... substantial. Maybe corner the market on DMPL morgans or something.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long would it take to put each one in a 2x2? image

It is hard to imagine that you have searched them all (little by little as you got them)....but, have you?
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    How much does one of those trash cans weigh? Do you have a fork truck to move them?
    image Respectfully, Mark

<< <i>How long would it take to put each one in a 2x2? image

It is hard to imagine that you have searched them all (little by little as you got them)....but, have you? >>

No I had not search them
  • So what is the point? Are you just buying them because you've got money to spend?
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How much does one of those trash cans weigh? Do you have a fork truck to move them? >>

I just did some math, and judging by the photo there are nine trashcans. That would mean there are approximately 222,222 wheats in each can. At 3.11 grams, each can would weigh approximately 1524 pounds!!

Edited to add: Apparently I was about 500lbs off per can...See the next post!

-Paul

<< <i>So what is the point? Are you just buying them because you've got money to spend? >>

The point is saving them as an investment. with the price of copper going up, most of the copper cents will be out of circulation very soon and I expect the premium for the wheat cents to go up!!!
    Keithimage
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    holy crap! You should get a semi truck trailer to put them in
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

<< <i>

<< <i>How much does one of those trash cans weigh? Do you have a fork truck to move them? >>

I just did some math, and judging by the photo there are nine trashcans. That would mean there are approximately 222,222 wheats in each can. At 3.11 grams, each can would weigh approximately 1524 pounds!!

Each can is less than that, is about 175-180,000, but I still have more boxes that i need to empty. i expect to be about 11-12 cans in toatl

Keith

-Paul >>

• gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So what is the point? >>

Totally centsless, makes no cents at all!
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an impressive hoard.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    Are you certifiably NUTS! I love it though, I really really do.
  • scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    Bet the mailman is about ready to kill you image
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>That's an impressive hoard. >>

Wrong forum! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long have you been acquiring wheat cents?

And how much are you paying for each wheat cent [face value or more than face value]?

Where do you find the wheat cents that you acquire? When you make acquisitions, do you only take wheat cents that have not been previously searched by anyone [how would you prove that] or do you take any and all wheat cents?

Do you plan to ever search through the cents to look for key dates, varieties, etc? Or are you just going to either hold them and pass them to your kids on your death, or sell them in bulk lots (i.e. 5 lb. unsearched bags) at some time in the future?

Further, do you also collect the copper memorials minted from 1959 through mid 1982, or do you just limit yourself to wheat cents?

Finally, what does your family [spouse, kids, parents, etc.] think of your ever growing stash of wheat cents?

Curiosity has caused me to ask the above questions, cuz I can not imagine my wife putting up with me doing what you are doingimage
  • hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Edited to add: Apparently I was about 500lbs off per can...See the next post!

-Paul >>

missed a can......
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Klif50Klif50 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure I saw a 31-S at the top of one of those cans.
    I applaud you for your effort. You saw something you were interested in and went after it. I save Kennedy half dollars the same way, but I don't have nearly that many but any the bank gets, they save for me, I sort out the silver and put the rest in a big pile. Savings accounts don't pay interest to speak of, being half dollars I'm not as likely to grab a hand full when I go to the movies so it's a nice way to save a little money and it gives me something to look through now and then. I've done well on the silver too since about 3 out of every 5 times I get a few dollars worth from them I get a 40% or two. And they are big enough that I can see most of the date on them.
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like an elaborate coin collector's anti-theft plan!

Tom

• jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    If you hang on to them, check the cans periodically for cracks. You'll need a good coal shovel if one of them suckers blow.

Could I send that pic to a few freinds, that is an amazing sight image

<< <i>How long have you been acquiring wheat cents?

And how much are you paying for each wheat cent [face value or more than face value]?

Where do you find the wheat cents that you acquire? When you make acquisitions, do you only take wheat cents that have not been previously searched by anyone [how would you prove that] or do you take any and all wheat cents?

Do you plan to ever search through the cents to look for key dates, varieties, etc? Or are you just going to either hold them and pass them to your kids on your death, or sell them in bulk lots (i.e. 5 lb. unsearched bags) at some time in the future?

Further, do you also collect the copper memorials minted from 1959 through mid 1982, or do you just limit yourself to wheat cents?

Finally, what does your family [spouse, kids, parents, etc.] think of your ever growing stash of wheat cents?

Curiosity has caused me to ask the above questions, cuz I can not imagine my wife putting up with me doing what you are doingimage >>

1- About 5-6 years
    2-Most of them I got it from APMEX when they use to sell bags of wheats
    3- I paid average $160 per bag, but lately up to $185
    4-Only wheats, I dont know if they had been search but there is plenty of 20-30's when i look some at random
    5-yes , mailma hates me!!!
    6-My wife doesnt care if the boxes are out of the way

keithimage

<< <i>If you hang on to them, check the cans periodically for cracks. You'll need a good coal shovel if one of them suckers blow.

Could I send that pic to a few freinds, that is an amazing sight image >>

Yes, no problem
    keithimage
    No my wife may have a different opinion if I had, in my garage, a dozen or so 55 gallons plastic garbage cans like those pictured in this thread filled with 90% silver dimes instead of wheat cents. Better yet, have the dozen or so garbage cans filled with gold quarter eagles [I would even look through each quarter eagle to pull out those with a numismatic premium].

Yeah, that's the ticket.
    So how many cents are in each bag [or box]? I am guessing around 5,000 to 6,000 coins per bag?

If so then you have been paying about 3 cents for each wheat cent, right?

At what price per cent would you sell?

• RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    I would say that you certainly have taken things to the "NEXT LEVEL" LOL!!! WOW!!

That is unreal, thanks for sharing. I like it, a lot! Kind of makes my 5 gallon bucket seem pathetic......ha ha ha
  • KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's impressive. I'm literally surprised that your concrete slab hasn't cracked under all that weight.

I bet there are old photos of people doing that with 90% silver in the 60s and 70s. Not much different in this case with copper. As one presidential candidate states, "The US can't even maintain a 'zinc standard' anymore."
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    Is this being done for fun or investment?

<< <i>Is this being done for fun or investment? >>

Both
    Keithimage

<< <i>So how many cents are in each bag [or box]? I am guessing around 5,000 to 6,000 coins per bag?

If so then you have been paying about 3 cents for each wheat cent, right?

At what price per cent would you sell? >>

yes, about 3-3.5 cents.
    5000 per bag, about 33-34 bags per can

I hope copper go to 8-$9 pound or melting ban is lift so wheats may get to 9-10 cents, I may sell if this happens, but its very likely that i will keep it for a loooong time

Keithimage
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pardner, I gotta hand it to you, when you decide to do something and set your mind to it---wow. image

They say you can't take it with you and in your case...THEY is right.image
    Have a nice day
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    can you count and figure out how many of each year you have? imageimageimage wowzah!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

<< <i>can you count and figure out how many of each year you have? imageimageimage wowzah! >>

Yes, give me about 20 years and will let you know
    Keithimage

<< <i>

<< <i>can you count and figure out how many of each year you have? imageimageimage wowzah! >>

Yes, give me about 20 years and will let you know
    Keithimage >>

Most of them are from the 40-50'S
  • canadanzcanadanz Posts: 617 ✭✭
    Wow, that is awesome. For some reason though the Ferrari seems out of place among the cents. This should be a hoard of gold of some kind lol. Very impressive.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file