Home U.S. Coin Forum

My wheat cents hoard

Comments

• SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    (if he's going for 10 millions, and there are 175ks-180ks per can, that's 55-60 of those cans)

60 trash cans of wheat cents = cracked concrete slab

That collection is neat!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of me thinks the wheat cent hoard is neat and would be a blast to look through.

Another part of me thinks that accumulating this hoard make no sense at all and that it would be pure misery/drudgery to look through.

For all of the persons who think that this cent hoard is neat, great, cool, etc. would your opinion be the same if instead of wheat cents the hoarded item was single kind of:

1. paperclips;

2. toothpicks; or

3. bottlecap?

If your opinion is different, why so?
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Part of me thinks the wheat cent hoard is neat and would be a blast to look through.

Another part of me thinks that accumulating this hoard make no sense at all and that it would be pure misery/drudgery to look through.

For all of the persons who think that this cent hoard is neat, great, cool, etc. would your opinion be the same if instead of wheat cents the hoarded item was single kind of:

1. paperclips;

2. toothpicks; or

3. bottlecap?

If your opinion is different, why so? >>

Hmmm...you are asking COIN collectors to evaluate a collection/hoard of COINS (what they collect) vs other items that they may not collect? image

The only one, from what you list, that may be close, would likely be bottlecaps....as those are more likely to have unique pieces, or rare, or just be visually different enough to be "fun"

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• SOMEONE STOLE THESE PICS AND IS TRYING TO SELL THIS HOARD ON EBAY

LINK

in case it dont work

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-millions-wheat-cents-hoard-unsearch-/200748115095?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2ebd852497
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>SOMEONE STOLE THESE PICS AND IS TRYING TO SELL THIS HOARD ON EBAY

LINK

in case it dont work

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-millions-wheat-cents-hoard-unsearch-/200748115095?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2ebd852497 >>

I think it's the OP's listing. image
  • baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's the OP's listing

I agree.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keith has the same disease we all suffer from.

And...................... I'm talking about 1 HAWT wifey. And see loves him.

We should all be so lucky.

Have a nice day
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No matte rhow you slice it, this is darn cool. Maybe a little over the top, but cool.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

1. paperclips;

2. toothpicks; or

3. bottlecap?

If your opinion is different, why so? >>

Sure it's over the top in a big way. The big diffrence here is that paperclips, toothpicks and bottle caps are not desirable to anyone except perhaps someone with an excessive hoarding issue...
    They are not collectable (well, bottlecaps might be perhaps) and they certainly aren't an industrial commodity like copper is. The BIG difference is that
    WHEAT CENTS AREimage

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• ckrakowskickrakowski Posts: 157 ✭✭

<< <i>OMG! $20,000 in wheat pennies! I thought my son's group of $1,500 was a lot (I can't imagine how much that trash can weighs)! image >>

the trash can weighs a couple pounds it is the wheat cents inside that make it so heavy.

<< <i>How much does one of those trash cans weigh? Do you have a fork truck to move them? >>

the trash can weighs a couple of pounds and why would you need a forklift to move a trash can.

<< <i>
    No I had not search them >>

imagine all of the key dates in there.
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    I think your hoard is awesome.
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that all of the cents pictured here will one day be consigned to the furnace.
  • bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Last one!!!!

And for the rainbow lovers!!!
    imageGorgeous 17-D.

My goal is 10 millions!!!
    keithimage >>

Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I'm reluctant to ask this but I absolutely have to know --

Are there any duplicates? image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    What in the world is he going to do with two 50 coin plastic tubes with all those?

Ron

<< <i>Last one!!!!

And for the rainbow lovers!!!

My goal is 10 millions!!!
    keithimage >>

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Oh gosh. Thats funny. Pour em out and roll em up. image
    taylor
    Also known as coinman101---
    I am a YN and I do not want anybody to question my IQ Level! I don't know everything and came here to learn! image
  • bump
    Also known as coinman101---
    I am a YN and I do not want anybody to question my IQ Level! I don't know everything and came here to learn! image
  • Every day I think God I'm not crazy.......
  • ksammutksammut Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My dream in high school was determined after I saw "Fantastic Voyage" with Racquel Welch in her rubber body suit. I knew, right then and there, I wanted to become an antibody! >>

I have not seen Fantastic Voyage in decades but remember Racquel in the rubber body suit like it was yesterday.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 35,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you find any mint errors in that hoard?
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I guarantee you still will not find a 09-S VDB. image
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    I still think your hoard is awesome!!
  • daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Next time I'm looking in the Red Book for wheat penny mintage numbers, I will think of your garage.

Big fan of the Italian stallion- is that the 360? I couldn't quite tell from the angle of the photo.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    That is a lot of valuable metal. Nice.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old thread alert

Did anyone not offend the OP enough to get his email?

I'm dying to know if the next milestone of 5 million wheats is complete...

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife would divorce me if I tried to do something like this. Still, the guy isn't hurting anybody by doing it, so why not?
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    A classic thread from 2011, which needs to be updated.

compromonedas, if you are out there, please post and update the status of your hoard.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats almost insane but a good insane image

<< <i>And I guarantee you still will not find a 09-S VDB. image >>

About 3 of those cans would hold the entire mintage of 1909-S VDB cents.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might be kinda hard to misplace these if you ever moved. image
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A classic thread from 2011, which needs to be updated.

compromonedas, if you are out there, please post and update the status of your hoard. >>

Based on the feedback history linked to the auction/seller in the previous page, it looks like he was selling quite a few, at least..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's crazy.

And cool.

In a crazy way.

Wow.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this coin.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd truck those barrels straight to the scrap yard.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I DO presume you look through the boxes before they get dumped into the trashcans?

If not, you should.

A bulk Wheatie bag was really good to me, once.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, with AAALLL of thos pennies, there has to be several rare and expensive coins in there.

The problem is, with that quantity of pennies, it would take three eternities to find all of them.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A classic thread from 2011, which needs to be updated.

compromonedas, if you are out there, please post and update the status of your hoard. >>

Based on the feedback history linked to the auction/seller in the previous page, it looks like he was selling quite a few, at least.. >>

He said he planned to hold on to them "for a looooong time" so if he really did sell, I wonder what changed his mind.

Still a definite accomplishment that demands to be noticed and remembered. I wonder if he ever contacted Guiness.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Whoa, what crawled up your @$$ image

This "guy" is hoarding copper as a long-term bullion investment … I think it's obvious that he's interested in every penny of the dollar.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

In the 1950's and 60's, many of us created mini-hoards of 1943 steel cents we pulled out of circulation. Some of those hoards were sizable.

That's why they're so rare and valuable today! image

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was the thread I was searching for, Ferrari and all! image
    I love the obsession!
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    When Congress demonetizes the cent, you'll be a copper baron.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take chance.
    I'm in.

A giveaway. How munificent!

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I would rather have one coin worth $150,000 than 5,000,000 coins valued at 3 cents each. Much easier to store, hide and move. But to each his own. Nice hoard. Good luck~ I hope you never have to move.image
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    When I see those cans I want to search for varieties.
    There must be some nice varieties lurking in that hoard! image
    Ed
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely one of the most accurate thread titles in the history of the forum. Opinions, thoughts and ponderances fail me image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file