Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My wheat cents hoard

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if he’s going for a world record for biggest coin hoard? I can’t imagine any private citizen would have more individual coins than him at this point.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is still one of the top threads ever for me. Yes, its a hoard, but not a hoard like a disorganized mess. It's actually very neatly arranged given the nature of the coins. I hope he makes it to ten million.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew of a hoard in the Hudson Valley that hit 1,000,000 Wheaties about 20-25 years ago. Don't know if it still exists or if the owner has been adding to it.

If the ban on melting or exporting cents is lifted, these might be worth more as metal right now than coins, probably better than 3 cents each. And nickels may exceed their face value, too, in metallic content.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

I think I know the hoard of which you speak. I contributed a bit to it.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta like the humble brag with a portion of the car shown.

I glanced at the price chart for copper and he never saw $8 but we are back to $4 from roughly $2

He is tapping into all my fragile man child jealousies.

Exceptionally cool car.

Obsessively large hoard of Lincoln Cents.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭

Last update 8/2020. How many now?

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Didn't he acquire the first MS -70 Lincoln Cent that turned in the holder ? My recall might be off.
    Gotta love the collectors and hoarders, just the same.

Yes he did (its his icon). I don't think a MS-70 non-satin finish Lincoln has been graded since.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

What price would copper need to be in order to recoup the money spent buying these and shipping cost?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2022 6:06PM

Have a hoard of 10M wheat cents and you have .0384% of all wheat cents ever made. Almost 4/100 of 1%, in other words.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cripes! I thought I had a lot of these at 15'000 cents :open_mouth::open_mouth:

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    What price would copper need to be in order to recoup the money spent buying these and shipping cost?

Also must consider lost opportunities if he had invested the money elsewhere, real estate, stocks, bonds or even coins.

• Options
    AbehunterAbehunter Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Words can't say what I'm thinkin,thinking, than that is cool as s_ _ _!!!

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

As I was re-visting this thread, a Die Hard 3 quote came to mind for some reason.
    "Yesterday we were an army with no country, tomorrow we must decide which country we want to buy!" Simon Gruber

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some things presumed in this thread are false.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoCalBigMark said:
    Some things presumed in this thread are false.

Like?

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't own a hoard like that, it owns you.

Vplite99
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is the OP?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any physics guys here able to figure the weight of one of those cans?

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

On page 1 the OP says they weigh about 1,000 pounds each. ;)

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@Goldbully said:

On page 1 the OP says they weigh about 1,000 pounds each. ;)

Oh yes, thank you.

What an amazing story.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

How many cents does he have?

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not even a dent in the budget considering there is a Ferrari also in the garage. You need to fill a commercial dumpster now.

• Options

@1630Boston said:

It appears it was an estimated 2 million about 2 years ago, no update to say how many has been added since.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@1630Boston said:

It appears it was an estimated 2 million about 2 years ago, no update to say how many has been added since.

@Goldbully said:

Well at 3.11 grams each that would be..

6.22 tons :D

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

If you searched 2500 coins per day it would take over 2 years to search them. :D

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

You load 6.22 tons and what do you get?
    Another day older and deeper in debt.
    -- Tennessee Ernie Ford

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must be dyslexic. When I saw this thread, I saw the word cents but my brain was saying sense. 🤣 😂

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@compromonedas said:
    << How much does one of those trash cans weigh? Do you have a fork truck to move them? >>

About 1000 pounds each, 33-34 bags each.
    I dont have a fork truck. i place the cans again the wall and start filling them up.
    I hope I will never have to move it.
    I plan to keep them until i die so my son (now 14 y/o) will take care of it!!!!
    Keith

If you start filling up a large pool instead...you only have one thing to fill up and you never have to worry about moving it lol.
    And it won't matter for your son who'll be posting here in a few decades..."Anyone know the best way to empty an Olympic sized pool filled with Wheat Cents?!"...."There are a couple Ferraris at the bottom I need to get to!"

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@compromonedas "I had to move my coins to my new home. We spent about 10 hours, between 5 of us moving only the coins. Will never do this again. Ready to sell everything."

How many more have you added since your last update?

• Options

That is an impressive hobby just collecting the wheat cents. At some point it becomes hoarding, but you’re not there yet (almost)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does Coinstar have a mega kiosk? Does Brinks have a front-end loader armored car? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Yes, it would be interesting to know how one would sell this size of a coin collection. Re-bagged in 5,000's? @compromonedas Did you save the bags?

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oilers99 said:
    Welcome back - Wheat cent King

perhaps a prince?

no offense to the OP but i've seen bigger. much bigger and have heard stories of bigger than the ones i've seen which were measure by the yard, height, width and depth. fwiw

some shops around the country have gold and silver bars on pallets. i've seen/held some before. i'm sure some people here could tell stories like we'd never believe.

i've also seen those huge ballistic bags on shelves, in rows. my mind struggled to imagine how the shelves could hold that much weight!

crazy stuff.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    How about flooring?

I would have fixed that crappy looking wood moulding trim first!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    How about flooring?

what a fun entryway!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2022 8:29PM

@vplite99 said:
    You don't own a hoard like that, it owns you.

Just like how there is no such thing as a cat "owner". Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 222 ✭✭✭

I would start searching for the 09S VDB. Since I can be pretty sure it'd be the last coin you would look at, I'd look at the last coin first, save all that time and have that elusive key coin graded for posterity! You're welcome! LOL

• Options
    TreemanTreeman Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

And my wife thinks I'm crazy, just because I have four antique tractors, and never farmed...

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    How about a car? 😂🤣

Can you imagine if somehow all the pennies on that car are the same model year as the car?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Estil said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    How about a car? 😂🤣

Can you imagine if somehow all the pennies on that car are the same model year as the car?

Never thought of that. What year is that car anyway?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    That stash of gold $20s is just jaw dropping.

There are people who have the means to own something like that. It doesn't surprise me at all.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have crumbs compared to this guy. :wink:

I’m not sure why I named my account Ownerofawheatiehoard, I’ve never been interested in wheat cents. Might have to try to get it changed. :D

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file