Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My wheat cents hoard

Comments

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of cents. But I would hate to have to move for some reason,.,.. and have to deal with those.

----- kj
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have this thread "Bookmarked" and had to take another peek at it. :#

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too love this thread. It is a true CU classic. I just came over here to link it up from CoinTalk.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/lordm-nathan401-santinidollar-giveaway-july-2018-deadline-for-entries-july-31.319148/#post-3121688

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is wild! Can you imagine grabbing a dansco book and just start searching one can...?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2018 12:22PM

....> @compromonedas said:

<< <i>Wowsers!! Very Kewl Keith!

You need to repost images of your certifed $20 gold St and Lib stash!!! >>

My God you have a very good memory!!!!!

Keith

Old thread but saw this...
    WOW!!!

Note: Pics reloaded from original message for this reply.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP's 2M wheat cents represents .007692% of all wheat cents ever made.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if @compromonedas is still around?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinstar. Yes, COINSTAR...............................

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't he acquire the first MS -70 Lincoln Cent that turned in the holder ? My recall might be off.
    Gotta love the collectors and hoarders, just the same.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow that sure is a lot

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Feeling small today, my wheatie collection doen't even fill a $25 box. But, now I'm kinda glad...

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got to hope there are no leaks in his garage - imagine a leaking roof getting into one of those cans - one big chunk of green copper.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkid855 said:
    The real question is...Are they unsearched?

-Paul

When the wife goes to sell them off, you bet she will put unsearched in the listing. :D

That's got to be a Guinness world record....

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

Love the hoard of cents, love the gold. All great coins. Can't imagine the time it'd take to sort those Wheaties...

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the recent fire dieaster going on in California, I wondered what a million cents would weigh...

If I did my calculations correct, it would be roughly 6850 pounds or 3.4 tons ....

• Options
    lonn47lonn47 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

flip or flop

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a goodie...

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last access to the forum: Last Active December 13, 2018 5:13PM by @compromonedas

Go to first page of this thread for the pics, this is a sample:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/819143/my-wheat-cents-hoard/p1

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

His avatar is a 2003 zinc cent. Go figure.

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

What do you mean by "a few years ago"?

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options

This is one of my favourite threads on this forum. You just can't make this stuff up.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aotearoa said:
    This is one of my favourite threads on this forum. You just can't make this stuff up.

I'm wondering how many people have been motivated to collect coins by it. :D

• Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

He said he'll hold them for his son someday. His son will hate him for this. LOL

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am visioning plastic decay of the trash cans, and one cold morning, they crack, and a cascade of wheat like a tidal wave across the garage.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always a fun thread to revisit. Where has @compromonedas been?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

One of the best!

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

So does anyone think the cans have a wood base 90% of the way up and there is just a thin layer of coins at the top to give the illusion of a full garbage can?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

Weekly visit with his Chiropractor ;)

• Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

@DCW said:

On his way to Wisconsin:

https://cnn.com/2020/07/19/us/coin-shortage-banks-paying-trnd/index.html

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:
    So does anyone think the cans have a wood base 90% of the way up and there is just a thin layer of coins at the top to give the illusion of a full garbage can?

Those are good Quality plastic cans.. still, it is a bit surprising they don't "bulge" a little more on the sides from the pressure of the weight

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

even if it's just a few layers of them on the top, it's still a ton of coins. A lot of work to make it look like a million pennies, too, if it is fake.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

anyone know where i can get 1000 tubes of elmer's glue?

i have an insatiable urge to make the biggest cent pyramid ever!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC it's almost back to school time, so you can probably wait a couple of weeks and get it all tax free!

• Options

One of my favorite threads. compromonedas is my hero!
    I have been watching this thread since day one.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Raybo said:
    I have this thread "Bookmarked" and had to take another peek at it. :#

I’m with you buddy, Ray. AMAZING 😳

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

For some reason I really like the idea of someone (not me :) ) having the drive and determination to acquire such a large quantity of wheat cents.

Focus, attention, single mindedness of purpose.

Using an analogy, compromonedas can be viewed as the Michael Jordan or the Kobe Bryant of wheat cent collecting.

What I am curious about is:

a. are the collected wheat cents going to be looked at to find those which would have significant value as collector coins; and

b. what is the end game for the collected wheat cents [melt them, sell them, spend them, give them away or simply hold them until death and leave it to the heirs [or public guardian to figure out what to do with them]?

Post more photos of the your "collection" of wheat cents please.

• Options

One of my favorite threads ever.

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

I'm with 3stars............ except I think that it's more like a thin plywood base over 99% of the way up, covered by just enough glued-on wheat cents to cover the plywood & give the illusion of a full garbage can. If so, the BIG question is: "What's under them in the other 99% of each can & why?

I'll start with some possibilities and reasoning behind them, and invite others to join in with their own "conspiracy theories"..............

(1) Jimmy Hoffa (and maybe other assorted mobsters.... or Amelia Earhart, the escapees from Alcatraz, D.B. Cooper, Bigfoot, Area 51 aliens, and the like...............),

(2) The world's biggest hoard of gold and/or silver (after all, WHO'd waste their time searching thru such what they think are just a TON of wheaties , or even guess there might be something beneath them?)

(3) Years' accumulation of everyday trash (maybe during a previous garbage collector's strike, he had nowhere to dump his garbage, but found that the odor could be kept in check simply by "capping" each trash can with a thin layer of wheaties?!)

(4) Entry/escape hatches for the world's largest underground post-apocalyptic bunker!

(5) Launch silos for our newest strategic-strike offensive/defensive missiles.

Of course, if any of my (or anyone else's) guesses is correct, I don't expect compromonedas to spill the beans (or wheaties) anyway............

• Options
    SCTSCT Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

This thread is soo great. I showed my wife and reminded her of the time that I bought a bunch of copper pennies for a similar reason. I stopped after about 20 lbs once the realities of storage set in which she is grateful for! It's a very asymmetric bet but I just own copper mining stocks now.

• Options
    VTchaserVTchaser Posts: 292 ✭✭✭

Wow! Just now seeing this thread. That is B-A-N-A-N-A-S

Successful transactions with: robkool, Walkerguy21D, JimW, Bruce7789, massscrew, Jinx86, jonasdenenbergllc, Yorkshireman, bobsr, tommyrusty7, markelman1125, Kliao, DBSTrader2, SurfinxHI, ChrisH821, CoinHoarder, Bolo, MICHAELDIXON, bigtime36, JWP, 1960NYGiants

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    I wonder if @compromonedas is still around?

Hasn’t posted since August last year but was on the forum a month ago. I guess officially a lurker now.

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Thanks, when you think you have a hoard then this thread shows what a real hoard is like. My hat's off to this guy. Cheers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file