Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Updated 7/28/11 - MH & GC ON SALE NOW -- 27,000 Numismatic ATB 2010 5oz Pucks -- **Official Pre-

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [................................................................................................................................................................................]
    [................................................................................................................................................................................]
    [...............................................................I NEED YOUR HELP...............................................................................]

A miracle has occured.

I have the ear of the US Mint Headquarters.

If you have stories, like of Silvertowne's purchase of ATB sets from tGC, please let me know and HELP by supporting me. I need the information you have to help back me up.

[...............................................................I NEED YOUR HELP...............................................................................]
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

A miracle has occured.

I have the ear of the US Mint Headquarters.

If you have stories, like of Silvertowne's purchase of ATB sets from tGC, please let me know and HELP by supporting me. I need the information you have to help back me up.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>Hey...I live in an apartment building with more than 200 separate units.

The Mint once tried to cancel my order because someone else in the building also ordered (and we're not at all related)!

Now how would that grab you? >>

Obviously wrong.

They can do better than that.

However, I also agree that it would be better if, in their "order limits" section, they specified some of the ways they will limit. Restrictions will include but not be limited to: duplicate shipping addresses, duplicate billing addresses, duplicate credit cards.

However, this may not sit well with some people. I'm not sure. They took off the wonderful language (I really liked it) about the wait list and their upgrading their systems. I thought it was good to have that info. Maybe someone else disagreed??? It's gone now.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of you are missing my point. I have no problem with a one unit per billing address policy but the Mint should specify that, not state that its a one unit per household which obviously is not accurate.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>However, I also agree that it would be better if, in their "order limits" section, they specified some of the ways they will limit. Restrictions will include but not be limited to: duplicate shipping addresses, duplicate billing addresses, duplicate credit cards. >>

• Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    Although they might have it posted somewhere (I haven't looked), I don't think the Mint would want to define how they enforce HH limits, because they'd be essentially telling folks how to get around their system.

Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll make a general silver comment now...

With gold UP a big $26/ounce on Friday and silver DOWN almost a dollar...I'm thinking that the price of the white metal might have gotten a bit ahead of itself and might sell-off a bit...at least in the short term.

We'll see next week.
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey...I live in an apartment building with more than 200 separate units.

The Mint once tried to cancel my order because someone else in the building also ordered (and we're not at all related)!

Now how would that grab you? >>

Obviously wrong.

They can do better than that.

However, I also agree that it would be better if, in their "order limits" section, they specified some of the ways they will limit. Restrictions will include but not be limited to: duplicate shipping addresses, duplicate billing addresses, duplicate credit cards.

However, this may not sit well with some people. I'm not sure. They took off the wonderful language (I really liked it) about the wait list and their upgrading their systems. I thought it was good to have that info. Maybe someone else disagreed??? It's gone now. >>

Rant on..

This is an arm of the US gubmint we're talkin' about here.. an entity who gets every cent of its enormous operating budget from where?.. from US, in the form of taxes.. and from the profits they make from selling coins that WE paid to have made, back to us at crazy premiums, especially for precious metal coins, but even for something as lowly as a couple'a rolls of cents in fancy paper.. and after initiating ordering over the InterWeb ;-) , what, a dozen years ago, EVERY time they put a high-demand, low-Mintage item up on the site.. KABOOM.. slowdown, then freezes, then meltdown.. a dozen years of this nonsense, and they STILL haven't fixed it.. oh, sure, they'll apologize, but apologies don't get it fixed.. FIXING it gets it fixed.. but when yer a monopoly, there's no burning motivation to fix it, or it would've been fixed long ago.

And did whoever writes product descriptions flunk English 101?..

"Now is your chance to get in on the ground floor of one of the most unique new coin programs offered by the United States Mint in recent years."..

"One of the most unique.".. image unique is unique.. unique can NOT be modified.. something can't be very unique, or more unique, or most unique.. it's either unique or it isn't..

Yeah, I'm the grammar police.. NOT.. but that kind of gaffe really grinds my gears.. it makes me feel like I spent eight years in college getting stupid.

Then, as you detailed, their verbiage about what exactly "one per household" means, can be interpreted so many ways, it's laughable.. gee, I guess I'm lucky no one else in my apartment building with the same street address tried to place an order, apparently..

Hey.. this past week, the CIA de-classified the only remaining classified documents from WORLD WAR ONE!.. the documents were 93 years old.. NINETY THREE YEARS OLD!.. I swear I'm not making this up.. watch this clip.. it's a hoot.. 93 years they kept this under lock and key..

MSNBC video

And you / me / everyone expects the United States Mint to upgrade a Web server shopping cart system that craps all over itself and falls crying to its knees, like Joe Pesci was stabbing it in the neck with a pen, because in a few hours, it can't handle just a tiny teeny miniscule fraction of simultaneous transactions without (figuratively) bursting into flames, that a private outfit like oh.. I dunno.. Amazon or eBay handles in minutes, maybe in seconds.. do ya think there are 27,000 eBay or Amazon or PayPal transactions in a couple'a minutes?.. there Shirley are.

It'd all be so laughable, if it wasn't so pathetic..

Rant off..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Although they might have it posted somewhere (I haven't looked), I don't think the Mint would want to define how they enforce HH limits, because they'd be essentially telling folks how to get around their system. >>

Do they really mean one order per IP addy? If two people order using the same computer, do they catch that?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done Hrlaser!

It is good to have you and your "most creative tongue" back on board!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    The IP address seems like a poor way to ID the buyer. One can just unplug the modem for 30 mins and the router will provide a new address or for more dramatic variety use the free WiFi most libraries, coffee shops, etc. offer.
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Although they might have it posted somewhere (I haven't looked), I don't think the Mint would want to define how they enforce HH limits, because they'd be essentially telling folks how to get around their system. >>

Do they really mean one order per IP addy? If two people order using the same computer, do they catch that? >>

I don't see how they could justify and IP address limit. A lot of people don't have computers and use the ones at public libraries.

• Options

<< <i>Do they really mean one order per IP addy? If two people order using the same computer, do they catch that? >>

IP address means nothing. I've used the same IP address for multiple orders this time and many times in the past. So long as you have different accounts with different credit cards and different mailing addresses, you can use the same IP address to order as many pieces as you wish.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amen Red - not an issue.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I'll second that, this silly stuff is putting me to.....image
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    this thread has served its purpose-time to move on

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    PUCK 'IN Ayy -- this thread dropped like a rock today. Looks like we have a very vocal but small cadre chasin' P's.

What's the latest ord #? Thought for sure these would be tarnish by now.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    3738**** Today about 2-PM CST reorder due to duplicut C-card use.
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    I just ran a phantom order through the system, and we're at 373878xx.

Roughly 46,800 orders (including phantoms) processed since early yesterday.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    Still available on the us mint website means not the demand that some had anticipated. I see this as being a profitable quick flip, but instead of a few hundred dollars I see a $50 profit as being more realistic after seeing weaker than expected demand.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Still available on the us mint website means not the demand that some had anticipated. I see this as being a profitable quick flip, but instead of a few hundred dollars I see a $50 profit as being more realistic after seeing weaker than expected demand. >>

It's Friday. They probably left for the weekend already and are letting the orders just keep coming in. I bet on Monday when they roll in at noon they will make the announcement. They are government people.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    I agree... The site will be updated Monday regarding the waiting list and thay may still be taking orders well into the 50,000 range.
    I'm not a vigilante, I'm an undocumented border patrol agent!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why should they start being open and up front now? These are the people who waited four months into the next calendar year before giving us a price on them, and who have still not released a credible picture of the product.

And taking the other side for the devil's advocate, why wouldn't they take 50,000 potential orders? Aren't we (collectively) the people who order stuff and then cancel orders at the drop of a spot? If silver hits $60 an ounce Monday, they have to deliver the product. If silver splunged to $40 Monday, how many people would panic and cancel their orders?

There is indeed a game being played, but it is not Solitaire.

MOO

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I'll play solitaire any day with ya Capt.

Gotta moo with ya on this.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just ran a phantom order through the system, and we're at 373878xx.

Roughly 46,800 orders (including phantoms) processed since early yesterday. >>

Can't be....I was told several pages back that one can't have phantom order numbers image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

Logical yes. Would Jean Luc approve of such phantomizing? Indeed. Nice work.

My guess is the proof AGE's are selling well and accounting for a good portion of this activity.
  • Options

<< <i>

Logical yes. Would Jean Luc approve of such phantomizing? Indeed. Nice work.

My guess is the proof AGE's are selling well and accounting for a good portion of this activity. >>

Actually, opening week of the Proof AGE only resulted in 16000 sales and thats total product sales not individual order number sales. So even if they did that same number again yesterday and today, which is impossible, that still leaves some 30000 order numbers which would still mean a sell out. In my opinion anyways.
  • Options
    I tried to order one for my mom and an office worker using my credit card. Two orders canceled. I even had the mint on the phone and they asked to talk to my mom and brought her on the phone in a 3 way. Still canceled. Fact is I have given my mom and dad a few coins that I think are the best. For instance a 2008 W ASE MS 70 in a wooden display. This series is also one they should have. Certainly not violating the one per household rule. I do understand where the mint is coming from.
  • Options
    I think this thread will settle down a bit now......people can enjoy the w/e outside....and get back to the rest of their collection...

ummmmm....

pet the cat.....

fidget.........

wander.......

When does the next P puck go on sale???
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see this as being a profitable quick flip, but instead of a few hundred dollars I see a $50 profit as being more realistic after seeing weaker than expected demand.

It's not worth the $50 worth of aggravation. I'm like Boucharda - now we can relax. When's the next pucker?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Still available on the us mint website means not the demand that some had anticipated. I see this as being a profitable quick flip, but instead of a few hundred dollars I see a $50 profit as being more realistic after seeing weaker than expected demand. >>

On the surface, one would think so, as I was thinking the same a couple of days ago, but when you consider the screwy US Mint ordering rules and website fragility, I've joined the group that believes the Mint is not restricting orders initially to keep their website up and running. Then, the order reviewers go back and drop ones that couldn't be processed. I think soon the wait list sign will go up.
  • Options
    Maybe the mint will just let the ATB Unc run a few days and see how many orders they get. Then they can get an idea what run numbers they need for the 2011-P to meet demand. Just a guess.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe the mint will just let the ATB Unc run a few days and see how many orders they get. Then they can get an idea what run numbers they need for the 2011-P to meet demand. Just a guess. >>

That is a good guess. If that is true then STOP ORDERING, PEOPLE.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    they changed the ship date to 5/14 now, and they are adding on cause now mintage
    will be 50k image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>they changed the ship date to 5/14 now, and they are adding on cause now mintage
    will be 50k image >>

I know you be spoofin', but for the eddyfication of people that read this thread, mintage on these ended in December at 27,000.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still haven't gotten a confirm email on my 7pm Thursday order. Order says on hold/backordered, but I doubt I'm getting one.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

The longer this goes on the more people are going to cancel their order. These are not $40 items and

people get scared easily.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I still haven't gotten a confirm email on my 7pm Thursday order. Order says on hold/backordered, but I doubt I'm getting one. >>

When you log onto there site you can check to see if the order is thru, and if you don't have an account you should call and ask. The contest I had all I can do now is wait for them to put up the sold out sign or that the waiting list has started. On there website it states you must agree to be put on the waiting list, since no one has posted this will wait and see when the mint announcement is. Sun's out and waiting on the CNT shipment..............image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

<< <i>Well done Hrlaser!

It is good to have you and your "most creative tongue" back on board!

Miles >>

Thanks, Miles.. image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I still haven't gotten a confirm email on my 7pm Thursday order. Order says on hold/backordered, but I doubt I'm getting one. >>

When you log onto there site you can check to see if the order is thru, and if you don't have an account you should call and ask. The contest I had all I can do now is wait for them to put up the sold out sign or that the waiting list has started. On there website it states you must agree to be put on the waiting list, since no one has posted this will wait and see when the mint announcement is. Sun's out and waiting on the CNT shipment..............image >>

You just want those barber half dollars.
  • Options

<< <i>

It's Friday. They probably left for the weekend already and are letting the orders just keep coming in. I bet on Monday when they roll in at noon they will make the announcement. They are government people. >>

• Options

6 pm Monday eastern time will be just about right for a sell out announcement !
  • Options
    I bought three off of ebay on the first day for $400 each from the same seller. Yesterday, they refunded all my money and stated that the Mint cancelled all their orders. I guess it was another rookie buyer trying to use the same CC for mulitple purchases. Either that or they realized they sold too low. Presales suck.
  • Options
    There is not as many of these sold as everybody thinks.
  • Options

<< <i> I see this as being a profitable quick flip, but instead of a few hundred dollars I see a $50 profit as being more realistic after seeing weaker than expected demand.

It's not worth the $50 worth of aggravation. I'm like Boucharda - now we can relax. When's the next pucker? >>

image <-- there's yer pucker

It goes on sale on "T.B.D.".. you figure out a witty acronym..

"The United States Mint will issue 56 quarter-dollar coins featuring designs depicting national parks and other national sites as part of this program. Five America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins will be minted and released annually in the order in which the honored site was first established as a national site, with the final coin issued in 2021."..

"Other national sites", meaning what? The world's biggest ball of twine, in Armpit, Kansas?..

ASSuming there are 56 of them, and Silver stays put at around $48.00 an ounce for ten years, which it won't, but let's just ASSume that for the next ten years, these "collector" versions are all $279.95, plus $4.95 shipping, which it won't be, because Postage rates just keep going up and up.. but I'm just playin' the "everything stays the same" game.. at one per "household", it's gonna cost about $16,000.00 to buy one of each, as they come out.. but Silver's not gonna stay put at around the $48.00 an ounce it's at, as I type this.. it'll go up and up.. it'll go up and down.. or up and down and up and down and up.. I don't know.. who knows?.. no one knows..

I wonder if Dansco or Intercept or someone will make an album to hold the whole "collector" set.. at five ounces each, when full, that album, besides being freakin' enormous, would weigh over 280 ounces, plus the weight of the album.. if they made an album to hold a "collector" version, AND a Bullion version next to it, then it'd weigh over 560 ounces.. plus the weight of the capsules, which is negligible.. so ya puts 'em in an album the size of an Subaru, and whaddya do with 56 empty blue boxes?

Meanwhile..

If yer the slabbin' type, and you don't flip a single one.. you'll have to figure out how to store 56, or, if you buy'em both, one of each flavor = 112 monster slabs.. is PCGS or NGC or anyone making an "enormous slab" slotted box yet?..

If you have an Injun Joe' Cave's Bottomless Pit of money, and you buy more than one of each.. well, you figure it out..

Meanwhile meanwhile, checkin' my order.. it's still on-hold, anticipated ship date now 14 May, 2011, cancel box is still there, and there's hamburger all over the highway in Mystic, Connecticut..

Mintage on the 2009 Lincoln Coin and Krinkles set was 50,000.. every week I save Numismatic News' "mint stats" graphic.. I went back and checked.. total sales figure, before it left the chart in early 2010, was 51,000.. but ya can't sell a thousand extra of what ya didn't make to begin with..

I think the Hot Springs "P"s are sold-out.. Monday should tell the tale, if the "No Longer Available, but yer welcome to sit on the waiting list and cry (quietly) to yourself if you want to" sign goes up n the front lawn..

• Options

<< <i>I bought three off of ebay on the first day for $400 each from the same seller. Yesterday, they refunded all my money and stated that the Mint cancelled all their orders. I guess it was another rookie buyer trying to use the same CC for mulitple purchases. Either that or they realized they sold too low. Presales suck. >>

Per eBay rules, a seller can't cancel a sale and issue a refund if, after the fact, he doesn't like the price he got.. they'll yank his account, or at least suspend it for a while, for doin' that.. the problem in this case, is that he told you they cancelled all his orders.. it's entirely possible that story was baloney, and he didn't like the price he got, so he made it up.. but try to prove he was blowin' smoke and lying about it..

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Presales should not even be permitted on ebay, IMO...if you don't have the product you shouldn't be able to sell it.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Presales should not even be permitted on ebay, IMO...if you don't have the product you shouldn't be able to sell it. >>

image x2
  • Options
    Oh well, 1st order still on hold but cancel box is gone (37352xxx), 2nd order is on hold but cancel box still there (37363xxx). I want first year for me due to low mintage mainly. No way I can collect the series anyway so what the hey...

Long time until May 13, 14, 15,......image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hrlaser, fun post!image

ASSuming all of that, and if I am willing just to go ahead and plow every spare cent of my earnings from now on...into this set - I'm interested in what you think might happen to mintages as this monster puck deal progresses.

Do you think that 27,000 is the low?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file