Home U.S. Coin Forum

Updated 7/28/11 - MH & GC ON SALE NOW -- 27,000 Numismatic ATB 2010 5oz Pucks -- **Official Pre-

Comments

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭
    I think the 27K mintage will be the lowest. Average yearly for the ASE is at least 5 million in the past. The last few years for the ASE were in the 20-30 million range. The mint might try to push these more than the ASEs. Maybe they will hold off production of the ASEs till all the Pucks are distributed and sold. Who knows. But 27k is low or 114,000 ounces. The lowest ASE was the 1996 in the 3 million range.

I havent' seen any MS 70 graded coins for the spouse medals with a similar finish. Highest yet is still 69. If a 70 is made from these P versions, I will be surprised.
  • PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    If spot price keeps going up, people will switch from collecting the entire set to picking the ones they're interested in.....IMO...
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>hrlaser, fun post!image

ASSuming all of that, and if I am willing just to go ahead and plow every spare cent of my earnings from now on...into this set - I'm interested in what you think might happen to mintages as this monster puck deal progresses.

Do you think that 27,000 is the low?image >>

I don't have a clue.. the 2010 "collector" bathtub stoppers were all made last year, 27,000 each, and, as you know, held back for some reason.. but they're a done deal, as far as Mintage numbers are concerned.. will they SELL all 27,000 of the next four 2010s this year?.. I leave that answer to others to ponder and pontificate..

If you look at the First Spouse Golds, the first few were 20,000 each, but then Mintage / sales numbers started going lower and lower.. probably because Gold went higher and higher.. a few of them are barely around 3000 sold (out).. and thus, the keys.. but also look at how the issue prices went higher and higher x years into the series.. they're nearly $900.00 from the Mint these days.. and Gold just keeps going up and up..

Maybe this is apples and oranges.. but, I left my crystal ball in my other tuxedo, so I honestly don't know if, over the course of this ten year program, we'll see Mintage figures below 27,000 per..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imho,

HRlaser hit the nail on the head comparing to the 1st spouse series.
    And, anyone who continues to compare these to the SAEs is off the track, imho. Yes, silver is silver. However, these are 5oz, and not 1oz, so it is more expensive.
    You also cannot compare bullion mintages of SAEs with those of collector versions of these. Apples and oranges big time doing that.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thurs 7pm order still in limbo here, no confirmation.
    There are some similarities between the pucks and spouses--mostly the high precious metal content and series length--but there are a lot of problems with the comparison too.

IMO....For the most part, the spouses represent the most atrocious series in EVER in US coinage. They're expensive and the designs are jaw-droppingly bad. Not to trash on spouses too badly, but the subject matter is absolutely lame for 1/2 gold coins. The few saving graces are the Liberties and the speculation at the rock-bottom mintages.

I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way.

The ATBs remain cheaper and the designs are truly oranges to apples in comparison to the spouses. That said, 27,000 could very easily be usurped on the unc. pieces, especially later in the series. Will we see a fall similar to the spouses (ie, 20k to 3k)? I do not think there will be that big of a disparity.

<< <i>If spot price keeps going up, people will switch from collecting the entire set to picking the ones they're interested in.....IMO... >>

I'm much more of a type collector than a series collector.. I don't have a complete series of ANYTHING, except Lincoln Memorial Cents, all full red BU.. a local hole-in-the-wall dealer, since out-of-business, was selling them for a few bucks a set some years ago, including the seven flavors of the 1982 cents, each one in a labelled, separate smaller bag inside, along with a cheap, little magnifying glass..

I bought about ten of those sets from him, and eBayed all but one of them, exactly as he had sold them to me.. not in albums.. he said a friend of his had put together those sets from solid bank rolls or bags.. of course, there were no $$ error coins in those sets, no off-centers, no wrong planchets.. and when I went back to get some more, since I was making a decent profit on them, he said he didn't have any more.. Although I never told him I was re-selling them, I think he knew what I was doing with them, and just didn't want to sell me any more, but I'll never know, since he closed down his shop, and maybe passed away.. at any rate, it's not there any more..

Then, a few years later, I bought a slip-cased Intercept Shield Lincoln Cent album, which has dated holes from 1909 - 2007, for every coin, including Proofs.. what I should do is transfer that last set I bought from him into that beautiful album, and also remove the coins from the two ancient Lincoln Wheat Cents albums I have into it.. but it'll be far from complete for a couple of reasons.. I only have a couple of keys, and they're in slabs, and I'm not going to break apart my Proof Sets to get the cents out of them..

I DID have one other complete set:: the full run of 35 circulated Franklin Halves in a Dansco album, that I put together from pocket change in the mid-1970s.. in order to fund the purchase of the Hot Springs "P", and pay a couple of bills, I put that album on eBay, and it sold in one day this past week, for $700.00.. which I thought was a decent price, considering what others have been getting for a full set of circulated Franklins in an album.. as low as $500.00.. I had "Best Offer" on it, and someone offered me $500.00.. I laughed..

There's no WAY I can afford to buy each of these "P" monsters.. I would've liked to get two of the Hot Springs, so I could flip one, and keep the other one, but I simply couldn't find a friend willing to front the money to buy a second one for me, and I'm sure not gonna pay a premium for a pre-sale on eBay, and my relatives aren't collectors, so I couldn't even explain to them exactly what these huge quaters ARE.. so I'll have to settle for my one lonely only..

Then the question is, when I get it in a couple'a three weeks.. do I open it up and admire it and sock it away, and watch what the prices do, and sell if it I can double or triple my money, which I think is a distinct possibility, or do I keep it sealed in the box, and never get to see it, or do I get it into a slab..

I'd really like to KEEP one.. I have NO intention, and no budget to spend the next ten years trying to buy the whole set.. I'm sure that some folks with deep pockets WILL, but I won't be one of those folks, unless a sack of money falls out of the sky, or I hit a decent lotto win (fat chance)..

And then there's that Palladium Mercury Dime lurking sometime in the future.. that was signed into law, wasn't it?.. But Palladium's over $700.00 an ounce, and I forget if that's another monster coin, or a dime-sized repro..

Coin collecting can drive ya nuts, and to the poorhouse at the same time.. although sometimes, if ya make the right moves, it can be pretty damn profitable..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I think the bullion coins are going to be much more attractive than the sand blasted coins.
    Cap'n.. I agree that except for the Spouseless Spouse Liberties, the designs are truly fugly..

For what it's worth, in my opinion, the whole Spose series should've been 1/4 ounce coins, not 1/2 ounce anyway..
    I'm with you 100% hrlsaser.

I'm keeping a set of 2010 bullion and will probably collect pieces here based on pieces I feel a connection to or based on designs. There is absolutely no way I can afford to collect an entire set of bullion or unc unless silver goes back to $15 or so.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Pink.....was in town today to go to the hardward store, and the tavern across the street had the name of tonight's entertainment up on the marquee. The band's name is "Pink Freud"!!!
    LOL!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>Cap'n.. I agree that except for the Spouseless Spouse Liberties, the designs are truly fugly..

For what it's worth, in my opinion, the whole Spose series should've been 1/4 ounce coins, not 1/2 ounce anyway.. >>

I think they were trying to keep them about the same size as the Presidential dollars, so half ounce made sense when gold was $600 an ounce.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    I maintain that type collectors, set builders, that Russian guy on TV with the miniature giraffe, whoever wants these in the future,
    it will always come back to the 2010s with their lower mintage.

You just cant go wrong hoarding 2010s of both types. I may snag a few more collector sets at 1350. And at lest 5 of each 2010 P minimum.

2011 and beyond? No hurries, no worries (except Silver spot).

Plenty pressed, so no stress on those.

But the 2010s....only so many to go around.

Loves me some shiny!
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Cap'n.. I agree that except for the Spouseless Spouse Liberties, the designs are truly fugly..

For what it's worth, in my opinion, the whole Spose series should've been 1/4 ounce coins, not 1/2 ounce anyway.. >>

I think they were trying to keep them about the same size as the Presidential dollars, so half ounce made sense when gold was $600 an ounce.
    TD >>

the diameter of the FS coins are the exact diameter of the dollar coins.

This is in the legislation that created the FS series.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If spot price keeps going up, people will switch from collecting the entire set to picking the ones they're interested in.....IMO... >>

Or reduce the diameter and weight.

If silver continues its march the Mint will have to make fractional ASE's, burnished W's of course. image

<< <i>

If silver continues its march the Mint will have to make fractional ASE's, burnished W's of course. image >>

Gold sure took a march / leap yesterday (Friday, 29 April, 2011).. up over $25.00 an ounce, I think, and, without even looking back at the psychological barrier of $1500.00 an ounce, it's running towards $1600.00..

Silver is kind of sitting on the bench, gulping a Gatorade, and sitting out a few laps.. after kissing up to $50.00, then falling back a few bucks, as it watched its expensive yellow cousin race by.. so they're not in lock-step with each other, for reasons I can't explain.. my degree is in Art History, not Economics

<< <i>

If silver continues its march the Mint will have to make fractional ASE's, burnished W's of course. image >>

I'd love to see the diameter and weight reduced. The way these things are going, I'll have to switch to collecting the 5-coin silver proof sets for the quarters, and that size just doesn't do these justice.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Gold sure took a march / leap yesterday (Friday, 29 April, 2011).. up over $25.00 an ounce, I think, and, without even looking back at the psychological barrier of $1500.00 an ounce, it's running towards $1600.00..

Silver is kind of sitting on the bench, gulping a Gatorade, and sitting out a few laps.. after kissing up to $50.00, then falling back a few bucks, as it watched its expensive yellow cousin race by.. so they're not in lock-step with each other, for reasons I can't explain.. my degree is in Art History, not Economics

image >>

I guess silver held back Friday while gold was surging because of the announcement that the margin requirements were being raised on silver AGAIN effective the end of Friday's trading.

When they did it a few days ago it only held silver down for about a day, so we could see another Sunday night surge like last weekend. Watch that India chart tonight!

TD

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'd love to see the diameter and weight reduced. The way these things are going, I'll have to switch to collecting the 5-coin silver proof sets for the quarters, and that size just doesn't do these justice. >>

I can see the advertising:
    "ANNOUNCING THE NEW, IMPROVED, THREE OUNCE
    FIVE OUNCE HOCKEY PUCK!!!!!!!!"

"Get yours today!!!"

<< <i>

"Get yours today!!!"

image >>

"Due to increasing spot prices for silver, the America the Beautiful 5 oz. silver quarters are now available in halves or thirds, depending on how you want them cut with our bandsaw."
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Presales should not even be permitted on ebay, IMO...if you don't have the product you shouldn't be able to sell it. >>

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    If one is not going to collect the whole series or even all of this year in the P version, do any of you think this Hot Spring one will be anymore collectible than any of the other 2010's? I really don't like the design, and the only one I have an attachment to/ actually want is the Yosemite.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    "Due to increasing spot prices for silver, the America the Beautiful 5 oz. silver quarters are now available in halves or thirds, depending on how you want them cut with our bandsaw." >>

"Pieces of ATb". New pirate treasure.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
    How about if they make the five ounce hockey pucks two ounces and call them "puckettes"??????

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you get when you put lipstick on an ATB?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    Just for fun.....today's numbers: 373923xx

That's ~51,300 orders since Thursday morning and ~4,500 since late yesterday...and yup, some ghosts in there (and the orders are for any USM products, not just the pucks).

I know these are just waiting to sellout until tomorrow at 8pm EST...image
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Presales should not even be permitted on ebay, IMO...if you don't have the product you shouldn't be able to sell it. >>

Most that buy a presale on ebay are going to get a coin that has become worth less than they paid or a refund. Most sellers will not honor sale if coin goes up in value before they ship yours out. You will most likely receive the excuse "I didn't get mine from the mint here's, your refund." A week later you will see your seller listing it again. It's a win win for the seller and a lose lose for the buyer who's money was tied up during the wait.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• << <i>What do you get when you put lipstick on an ATB? >>

Sarah Puck-lin?
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, don't laugh - they're already "Quarters". Quarters of WHAT? Quarter of a 20 ozer?

Hmmmmm...............a 20 ozer "One Dollar" coin? Might as well - the coinage could hardly get more confusing anyhow.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭
    As compared to the ASEs, at least these have changing designs. I am only comparing these mintage-wise to the ASEs. As far as popularity, we shall see. Both the ASE and the ATB 5 ozers will be minted to demand. The only competition as far as buying silver from the U.S. mint will be the ASE. The ASEs are popular, but these are also static and 25 years of these I am sure tired of them and I collected the ASE registry quality coins in the series.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with these pucks is that they've started to grow on me. Dang it.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the 27K mintage will be the lowest. Average yearly for the ASE is at least 5 million in the past. The last few years for the ASE were in the 20-30 million range. The mint might try to push these more than the ASEs. Maybe they will hold off production of the ASEs till all the Pucks are distributed and sold. Who knows. But 27k is low or 114,000 ounces. The lowest ASE was the 1996 in the 3 million range.

I havent' seen any MS 70 graded coins for the spouse medals with a similar finish. Highest yet is still 69. If a 70 is made from these P versions, I will be surprised. >>

If this is a collector edition and you were the mint, why would you not strike the exact same number of each one? Most people will would probably collect these as sets.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm with you 100% hrlsaser. I'm keeping a set of 2010 bullion and will probably collect pieces here based on pieces I feel a connection to or based on designs. There is absolutely no way I can afford to collect an entire set of bullion or unc unless silver goes back to $15 or so. >>

My plan, too, although I will also keep a set of the P pucks to go along with my MS69 DMPL bullion set. I don't plan on having the P pucks graded, though. For the future issues, though, the keepers for me will be defined by the design. For example, I really like the Glacier design and will keep a copy of each (P and bullion).

We know that the bullion are going to be minted to 126,500 for the 2011s, but I wonder what the mintage will be for the 2011 P pucks? Certainly less than the bullion versions and more than the 2010 P versions (27K), but how many over or under???

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Why would you necessarily expect them to be in lock-step with each other? Berkshire-Hathaway and MSFT aren't in lock-step either, but then again neither are corn and soybeans AFAIK.
    theknowitalltroll;

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Why would you necessarily expect them to be in lock-step with each other? Berkshire-Hathaway and MSFT aren't in lock-step either, but then again neither are corn and soybeans AFAIK.
    theknowitalltroll;

<< <i>How about if they make the five ounce hockey pucks two ounces and call them "puckettes"??????

image >>

So would the 5 ouncers be called mother puckers?image
    theknowitalltroll;

• << <i>

<< <i>How about if they make the five ounce hockey pucks two ounces and call them "puckettes"??????

image >>

So would the 5 ouncers be called mother puckers?image >>

Thats what I have been calling them.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What do you get when you put lipstick on an ATB? >>

Sarah Puck-lin? >>

"You betcha!"

What do you get when an ATB can't find its Certificate of Authenticity?

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>What do you get when you put lipstick on an ATB? >>

Sarah Puck-lin? >>

"You betcha!"

What do you get when an ATB can't find its Certificate of Authenticity? >>

Undocumented puck?
  • rodzmrodzm Posts: 675
    Rumor has it Yellowstone will go on sale on the 12th May....if the schedule is every 2 weeks then after that will be the 26th May, then 9 June, then the last will be on the 23rd June

<< <i>Rumor has it Yellowstone will go on sale on the 12th May....if the schedule is every 2 weeks then after that will be the 26th May, then 9 June, then the last will be on the 23rd June >>

How reliable is this rumor?
  • rodzmrodzm Posts: 675

<< <i>

<< <i>Rumor has it Yellowstone will go on sale on the 12th May....if the schedule is every 2 weeks then after that will be the 26th May, then 9 June, then the last will be on the 23rd June >>

How reliable is this rumor? >>

Someone on the Gold is Money forums was supposedly told by one of the CS Reps

linky

A rumor is a rumor but it seems plausible for the rest to be released every two weeks
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

There is a nice open 9 day window between May 10-19 on the Mint's product schedule. Makes sense. Might as well build on the momentum generated by the HS Ps.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi

• << <i>f this is a collector edition and you were the mint, why would you not strike the exact same number of each one? Most people will would probably collect these as sets. >>

I would consider the W ASE's as the "collector edition" of the regular ASE and that mintage was different every year
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

So would the 5 ouncers be called mother puckers?image >>

Thats what I have been calling them. >>

I feel the pain,

Joe

<< <i>

<< <i>

TD >>

the diameter of the FS coins are the exact diameter of the dollar coins.

This is in the legislation that created the FS series. >>

Authorizing Legislation for numerous series of coins has changed the size of MANY denomination of coins over the centuries.. large cents > small cents.. Morgan / Peace / Ike dollars > SBAs / Sacajaweas / Presidential size..

Don'tcha think that the later First Spouse Golds are selling in tiny numbers, because of the huge jump in price due to the huge jump in price of Gold over the past few years?.. the ugly designs Shirley have something to do with it, but the issue prices have gone to the moon..

I owned ONE First Spouse Gold - an Unc. Jefferson's Liberty.. lemme see if I still have my US Mint confirmation in my email folders..

Found it..

Order Process Date: 8/30/07

Merchandise : 410.95
    Freight . . . : 4.95
    Total . . : 415.90

1. 2007 FIRST SPOUSE GLD UNC (TJ) (X06)
    Qty 1 @ $410.95 - Backordered 09/24/07.

Jefferson's Liberty non-spouse Spouse Gold, 20,000 minted, 20,000 sold, four years ago, was less than HALF the price of the current Spouse Golds..

viz::

2010 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin – Mary Todd Lincoln (X69)
    Price: $916.00

I'd have to blip over to kitco.com, and see what the spot price of Gold was in August, 2007, but it was probably well under $600.00 an ounce..

They've priced these things up so high, with the current depr.. err.. REcession (yeah, sure).. far fewer people of modest means can afford them, than four years ago, when they were just over four hundred bucks.. so the number sold has plummeted, down to just a few thousand.. at least, that's my assessment..

If they re-jiggered the authorizing legislation, and made them 1/4 ounce coins, the price would STILL be higher than $410.95..

I can't think of any reason why they HAVE to be the same size as the Presidential $ coins.. that's just the way the legislation was written.. but, like I said up there, there are plenty of examples of series of coins that have changed sizes.. they could even re-write the law and make the First Spouse Golds in TWO sizes, if they wanted to.. why not?.. they make AGEs and APEs in four different sizes..

Louis Golino made some good arguments for a size change at Coin News Update a few weeks back. Some interesting reader comments at the end:

Linkified

I don't think the change is a bad idea for the spouses and it's starting to sound like a good idea for the ATBs too.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe the mint will just let the ATB Unc run a few days and see how many orders they get. Then they can get an idea what run numbers they need for the 2011-P to meet demand. Just a guess. >>

The the 2010-P sales were goosed by the low mintages on the 2010 bullion coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file