Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just received an e-mail purporting to be from A-Mark Direct offerig to sell me a set, but I have to do so by midnight. Has a link to click on and everything. Sure smells like a pfishing expedition to me, especially since the Paypal account I have links to a different e-mail address!!!

Has anybody else received this????

Edited to add: Just noticed the post above. Had previously stopped reading at "Charlie Sheen..." >>

I doubt that they will sell a set to the same household twice. If they're sending out bulk emails, I'd imagine that if you already ordered a set that you can't get another or they'd be in violation of the AP agreement. They seem into compliance.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Yep, tired, sick and being stupid...thanks Captain image
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Question about the 2011 individual releases as this was my first ever bullion/AP purchase. It seems that most of the AP's waived the normal higher purchase minimum for this program. So with the first 2011 issue will we have to buy from secondary distributors? It appears that maybe Apmex is the only one that would in turn sell directly to the public in low quantities or even individual coins? Like many others I now question if I will purchase again from Apmex. Just curious - thanks. >>

MTBcoins sells to individuals but charges a commission to non-dealers of 1% or minimum $30

So of these dealers may take the business opportunity and sell direct. Who knows what the future holds.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    "We have sold out of 2010 coins. Please register here if you would like us to contact you when we receive 2011 coins.

Please do not call to inquire abount 2010 coins.

Thank you,
    A-Mark Direct"

Seems that email was legit as they are now SOLD OUT tonight. And also seems like they'll be offering the 2011 pucks to the general public also since they are putting up a contact. Really cool of Amark. I mean why not? They already have a website in place to handle the orders and a system that worked.
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    Thanks for the update on AMark, Lightrender. I went ahead and got on their 2011 notification list. I'd like to keep supporting AMark, as I feel they did the best job with the 2010s. I wonder if this means that they're going to want to continue to deal directly with the public and sell in small numbers.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    Did you guys also received the email from MCM offering 10 percent off the America the Beautiful coins? After the ebay sell off and now 10% discount, it appears they are really dumping these coins. Begs the questions, are they selling because they see there is no profit to be made in the immediate future and they rather have the cash back to invest in other opportunity? or do they feel that they will go down lower if and when the other authorized Sellers decide to sell... I know they mentioned on this thread that they had many more coins on hand than what they sold on ebay, just making an observation.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I think they're selling because that's what they do, it's a business, nothing more.
  • Options
    Silver 2011 ATB number 125,000
    LINK
    Posted by Dave

When sales of the 2011 America the Beautiful 5-ounce silver bullion coins begin in late April with the Gettysburg design, how many will be available to buyers?

125,000, according to the acting Mint director Richard Peterson.

I interviewed him yesterday for an article in Numismatic News. You will be able to read it in full when it is posted on Friday at www.numismaticnews.com and www.numismaster.com.

The 125,000 coins, already stored at the Philadelphia Mint, are nearly four times the 33,000 struck for each of the five 2010 designs and the total almost equals the 165,000 number of all five 2010 designs combined.

Will that be enough to satisfy would-be buyers?

It might be, but then again, since the bullion value at today’s $34 price would be just $21.25 million, it is still low enough that Internet enthusiasm could whip up a buying frenzy.

Will that happen?

It could. Certainly it is less likely than it was for the 2010 designs.

What is the magic number that will satisfy the market that they are no longer scarce enough to warrant buyer excitement?

We will have to wait for the market to tell us.

This could be it, because buyers will know that four more will be sold during the rest of the year with the same mintage – and the acting Mint director left the door open for still greater numbers to be produced if the blanks can be found to strike them on and public demand warrants it.

Capacity of the press in Philadelphia is presently 1.25 million a year, Peterson said.

Now the hard part. You have to think about this for roughly another five weeks.

* Subscribe to the NumisMaster Coin Price Guide for access to the web’s most comprehensive list of coin values
    * Join the NumisMaster VIP Program for free subscriptions, store discounts, and more!
    * Buy and sell coins, currency, and more in our online classifieds
  • Options
    I just opened my boxes of a cherry picked submission of 10 pucks to NGC and, as expected, zero PL's. I did get 4 different 69's so I am only one short of that set.

I would say 8/10 looked PL to me....

(5-69's, 3-68's, 2-67's)

Also: the above article makes the potential of the 2010's look MUCH better
  • Options

<< <i>Silver 2011 ATB number 125,000
    LINK
    Posted by Dave

When sales of the 2011 America the Beautiful 5-ounce silver bullion coins begin in late April with the Gettysburg design, how many will be available to buyers?

I interviewed him yesterday for an article in Numismatic News. You will be able to read it in full when it is posted on Friday at www.numismaticnews.com and www.numismaster.com.

The 125,000 coins, already stored at the Philadelphia Mint, are nearly four times the 33,000 struck for each of the five 2010 designs and the total almost equals the 165,000 number of all five 2010 designs combined.

It might be, but then again, since the bullion value at today’s $34 price would be just $21.25 million, it is still low enough that Internet enthusiasm could whip up a buying frenzy.

Will that happen?

What is the magic number that will satisfy the market that they are no longer scarce enough to warrant buyer excitement?

This could be it, because buyers will know that four more will be sold during the rest of the year with the same mintage – and the acting Mint director left the door open for still greater numbers to be produced if the blanks can be found to strike them on and public demand warrants it.

Capacity of the press in Philadelphia is presently 1.25 million a year, Peterson said.

* Subscribe to the NumisMaster Coin Price Guide for access to the web’s most comprehensive list of coin values
    * Join the NumisMaster VIP Program for free subscriptions, store discounts, and more!
    * Buy and sell coins, currency, and more in our online classifieds >>

Well the good news is that if you're collecting them like i am, its easier to collect with more coins. Bad news is we wont get moon money anymore for non 2010 coins.
  • Options

<< <i>

LINK
    Posted by Dave

Will that happen?

Well the good news is that if you're collecting them like i am, its easier to collect with more coins. Bad news is we wont get moon money anymore for non 2010 coins. >>

I wonder what prices the AP's will charge...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

LINK
    Posted by Dave

Will that happen?

Well the good news is that if you're collecting them like i am, its easier to collect with more coins. Bad news is we wont get moon money anymore for non 2010 coins. >>

I wonder what prices the AP's will charge... >>

I'm sure the premium won't be too high considering there will now probably be more coins then demand with the possibility of the mint making more. The nice thing is that the 2010 pucks will always be the pucks to have for anyone who tries to collect the series.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just received an e-mail purporting to be from A-Mark Direct offerig to sell me a set, but I have to do so by midnight. Has a link to click on and everything. Sure smells like a pfishing expedition to me, especially since the Paypal account I have links to a different e-mail address!!!

Has anybody else received this????

Edited to add: Just noticed the post above. Had previously stopped reading at "Charlie Sheen..." >>

Well, I called them this morning. The email was legitimate, but they had none for sale. The nice lady I talked to was very nice and very apologetic. I got the feeling that she had been taking this call all day. She had no explanation as to why I had received the email at 10 at night. She said that they certainly did not send them then.

Offered to take contact info for when the 2011's became available. The cynic in me says that this was the whole point of the email, but I may be wrong.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    The email offer was legit.
    Order placed before midnight.
    Confirmation received from Amark afterwards.
    When I tried to sign up/register for 2011 on their site it told me my email was already registered and would not accept it again.
    Seems they will use their existing database of names/emails for future contact for 2011 without the need to register again.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    2010 will always be king, but

125,000 - 2011 Gettysburg ain't bad.

I think it'll be a winner.

• Options
    Probably already been reported but NGC Census counts for ATBs5oz are up

BTW no MS70s. As far as MS69 PLs/Total PLs goes:
    Hot Springs none at any grade for that matter
    Yellowstone 74/165
    Yosemite 875/982
    Grand Canyon 42/63
    Mt Hood 163/196

• Options
    I cant win.. my last shot at a nice set of coins was Dillon Gage.. I sat all day waiting for the UPS guy since I missed him yesterday... I saw the truck pull up, the driver stood up, and dropped my box on the street by mistake as he got out of the truck... not sure if I will ever open this box... image
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I cant win.. my last shot at a nice set of coins was Dillon Gage.. I sat all day waiting for the UPS guy since I missed him yesterday... I saw the truck pull up, the driver stood up, and dropped my box on the street by mistake as he got out of the truck... not sure if I will ever open this box... image >>

Really? Trust me that box was tossed around many times before it ever got to the last driver.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>I cant win.. my last shot at a nice set of coins was Dillon Gage.. I sat all day waiting for the UPS guy since I missed him yesterday... I saw the truck pull up, the driver stood up, and dropped my box on the street by mistake as he got out of the truck... not sure if I will ever open this box... image >>

Jeeeeez...and the DGs ship without bubblewrap between the flips, right?

I finally got my MTB order yesterday. Very well packaged. No chance of rim dents or anything even if dropped. That said, the coins were disappointing in quality. The Yose might be a 69, but the rest were probably 66-68.
  • Options

<< <i>Probably already been reported but NGC Census counts for ATBs5oz are up

BTW no MS70s. As far as MS69 PLs/Total PLs goes:
    Hot Springs none at any grade for that matter
    Yellowstone 74/165
    Yosemite 875/982
    Grand Canyon 42/63
    Mt Hood 163/196 >>

Can you tell what % of all coins submitted were graded PLs?

It's REALLY surprising that no Hot Springs graded PL. If I remember, that's the one that has received the most PL/DM grades from PCGS.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    he 125,000 coins, already stored at the Philadelphia Mint, are nearly four times the 33,000 struck for each of the five 2010 designs and the total almost equals the 165,000 number of all five 2010 designs combined.

With the ASE shortage, these would be gone in no time. Perhaps locked in IRAs, etc. I believe the mint is purposely slowing the ASE production to put more pressure on these pucks to get them out the door ASAP. We shall see. Is this the first run of 125K?. I would expect more if these do go fast.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    just opened my boxes of a cherry picked submission of 10 pucks to NGC and, as expected, zero PL's. I did get 4 different 69's so I am only one short of that set.

Same here. They closed the door on these PLs when I sent mine to NGC. Though I think I got more 69s than if I sent these to PCGS-though I think I would get PL designations from them.
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I have to wonder just how many clueless people are out there that still have never heard of these...have no idea of their premium...and might just wake up and want them in the future?

Another forum discussion posted today by the clueless
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>I have to wonder just how many clueless people are out there that still have never heard of these...have no idea of their premium...and might just wake up and want them in the future?

Another forum discussion posted today by the clueless >>

By the clueless and advised by the clueless in this case. I can't believe how many people advised that guy not to buy. Is it just me or are prices for sealed AMark packages creeping back up on the bay?
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    funny stuff...at least he has knowledgeable people to advise him image
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    That is amazing and a great read......there is a whole bunch of "Duh!" statements there..

Could someone contact the dude that buys the ASE's with zero premium over spot and let us in on his secret???
  • Options
    Did someone mention ebay member resignplease on the board several days ago? Can someone please refresh my memory. - point me to the message (I tried looking for it, couldn't find...)
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have to wonder just how many clueless people are out there that still have never heard of these...have no idea of their premium...and might just wake up and want them in the future?

The blind leading the blind..................................image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    The blind leading the blind........

Or, as they say....

In the Land of the Blind, He who has one eye is King!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

One member almost figured it out and then poof....the thought was gone. Love the profile pictures. image
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you guys also received the email from MCM offering 10 percent off the America the Beautiful coins? After the ebay sell off and now 10% discount, it appears they are really dumping these coins. Begs the questions, are they selling because they see there is no profit to be made in the immediate future and they rather have the cash back to invest in other opportunity? or do they feel that they will go down lower if and when the other authorized Sellers decide to sell... I know they mentioned on this thread that they had many more coins on hand than what they sold on ebay, just making an observation. >>

I think they are up to their eyeballs in stock.

They have not been buying for at least two weeks now, and say they are good for another 3-4 weeks.

That coupled with what was quoted above, I would say theere is a glut of supply and little buyers.......
  • Options
    Anyone get a nice set from Dillon Gage? Have not heard many reports of pucks from them.. Mine are sitting on the counter unopened.....
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭
    not to mention the 2000 sets that APMEX "should" be sitting on that have to be sold by late April. image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

CNT cashed my check yesterday so that one is in motion now.
  • Options
    I was going to register with A-Mark for the 2011 versions but it appears they are back to advertising the 2010 bullion. Anyone else seeing the same? Maybe they do have a few more sets...
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Puck emails I'd like to get -

From JH -

"Thanks for signing up on the JH contact list and indicating your interest in purchasing one set from our inventory of 2010 ATB 5 oz bullion released from the US Mint. We know that the "DO NOT CALL" message on our website has not changed since Dec. 29, 2010, however we want to amend our ways today, March 15, 2011.

Please reply to this email and provide your name, shipping address and phone number and JH will reserve a set of pucks for you. Payment by credit card is A-OK with us, but we'll ship immediately upon receiving your personal check if you prefer. Please indicate in your reply your payment method. Cost for the set is $899.95."

From Apmex -

"On Dec. 9, 2010, Apmex received your "Alert Me when this item becomes available" for the 2010 5 coin set. Yeah, we know it's now March 15, 2011, but WTH. We've been busy selling other stuff. Feel free to sign in to our website and buy one set per household if you can. No guarantees, this offer expires at midnight, March 15. Good Luck!
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    epcjm, didnt see the first part of your post, almost gave me a heart attack when I just read the middle and bottom parts!image-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>Puck emails I'd like to get -

From JH -

"Thanks for signing up on the JH contact list and indicating your interest in purchasing one set from our inventory of 2010 ATB 5 oz bullion released from the US Mint. We know that the "DO NOT CALL" message on our website has not changed since Dec. 29, 2010, however we want to amend our ways today, March 15, 2011.

Please reply to this email and provide your name, shipping address and phone number and JH will reserve a set of pucks for you. Payment by credit card is A-OK with us, but we'll ship immediately upon receiving your personal check if you prefer. Please indicate in your reply your payment method. Cost for the set is $899.95."

From Apmex -

"On Dec. 9, 2010, Apmex received your "Alert Me when this item becomes available" for the 2010 5 coin set. Yeah, we know it's now March 15, 2011, but WTH. We've been busy selling other stuff. Feel free to sign in to our website and buy one set per household if you can. No guarantees, this offer expires at midnight, March 15. Good Luck! >>

Got me too I was ready to order 2 more sets I hope this ends soon. Have 3 more sets at PCGS awaiting grades hope they are as good as the last.
  • Options

<< <i>

From JH -

From Apmex -

"On Dec. 9, 2010, Apmex received your "Alert Me when this item becomes available" for the 2010 5 coin set. Yeah, we know it's now March 15, 2011, but WTH. We've been busy selling other stuff. Feel free to sign in to our website and buy one set per household if you can. No guarantees, this offer expires at midnight, March 15. Good Luck! >>

Got me too I was ready to order 2 more sets I hope this ends soon. Have 3 more sets at PCGS awaiting grades hope they are as good as the last. >>

Good stuff!
  • Options
    I am done. I got 4 sets and I sold off 100 2007 W silver eagles that I bought for $21.95 each for between $39 and $48 each. That's under $550 per set. Not bad.

I have one set at PCGS (AMARK) for numeric grading and am going to hold the other 3 sets raw for now.
  • Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    With so many sets apparently still available from the AP's do you think that the 2011's will sell well and sell out the hundred thousand they plan to make when there is no restrictions? I would imagine it is the one per household limit and the requirement to buy them in complete sets that is stopping people. Once they are sold individually they should become a mainstream silver product, right?
  • Options

<< <i>With so many sets apparently still available from the AP's do you think that the 2011's will sell well and sell out the hundred thousand they plan to make when there is no restrictions? I would imagine it is the one per household limit and the requirement to buy them in complete sets that is stopping people. Once they are sold individually they should become a mainstream silver product, right? >>

Mainstream for the collectors of this series maybe.
    For the average Joe there is no such thing as a mainstream silver product.
    Bullion collectors will stay with SEs and bars unless the new releases sell at a similar premium and not more.
    Also, what happens if spot silver dives (which it easily can)? I don't think a lot of folks who have purchased a lot of these sets will continue to buy into the rest of the series if they suddenly find themselves "upside down" on these.
    There are many lots not selling on eBay or selling for MUCH less than flippers hoped.
    I hope none of this happens, but it easily can.
  • Options
    Investors will be buying the 5 ouncers instead of the 1 ouncers as it is easier to put away tubes of 5's than one's and I think the mint is going to limit some production of the one's just so they can produce some of their other products.
  • Options

<< <i>Investors will be buying the 5 ouncers instead of the 1 ouncers as it is easier to put away tubes of 5's than one's and I think the mint is going to limit some production of the one's just so they can produce some of their other products. >>

If the premiums are the same or less it would make it much more user friendly

• Options

<< <i>I just opened my boxes of a cherry picked submission of 10 pucks to NGC and, as expected, zero PL's. I did get 4 different 69's so I am only one short of that set.

I would say 8/10 looked PL to me....

(5-69's, 3-68's, 2-67's)

Also: the above article makes the potential of the 2010's look MUCH better >>

I agree. I'm not selling any more 2010s at these prices. I think that they will only go up.
  • Options

<< <i>

Jeeeeez...and the DGs ship without bubblewrap between the flips, right?

I finally got my MTB order yesterday. Very well packaged. No chance of rim dents or anything even if dropped. That said, the coins were disappointing in quality. The Yose might be a 69, but the rest were probably 66-68. >>

Correct! The flips are too small, no bubble wrap between them. Only the original F Trade sets were packaged worse.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

From JH -

From Apmex -

Got me too I was ready to order 2 more sets I hope this ends soon. Have 3 more sets at PCGS awaiting grades hope they are as good as the last. >>

Good stuff! >>

How did people get this JH email??
  • Options
    Question regarding grading at PCGS:

I have one set from A-Mark and one set from Fidelitrade. My question is, can I send them both in on one submission sheet and pay the FS fee for the Fidelitrade set? Or, alternately, can I send them both on one submission and not select FS for the Fidelitrade set?

Thanks in advance

Gary
    Gary
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If sales of the 2010 sets are slowing and there's still ample supply from the APs...who might not want to take on too much additional inventory in the form of the pending 2011s...watch out for a surprise sleeper in 2011.

The Mint may crank them out in larger number than the 2010s...but people still have to buy them.

Just my 2 cents...
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have one set from A-Mark and one set from Fidelitrade. My question is, can I send them both in on one submission sheet and pay the FS fee for the Fidelitrade set? Or, alternately, can I send them both on one submission and not select FS for the Fidelitrade set? >>

No, they have to be on separate submission sheets because the A-Mark set is a REGRADE and the Fidelitrade set is a raw grading.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file