Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
$1395 a set

Updated 3/26/2011
MTB is selling these directly on eBay, $1025 each!
link to eBay MTB Sales

Updated 2/25/2011
PCGS is now grading these DMPL along the lines with what NGC has been doing.

Updated 1/27/2011
PCGS First Strike Coin numbers for submission purposes.

505100 2010 25C Hot Springs NP 5 oz Silver - First Strike MS
505101 2010 25C Yellowstone NP 5 oz Silver - First Strike MS
505102 2010 25C Yosemite NP 5 oz Silver - First Strike MS
505103 2010 25C Grand Canyon NP 5 oz Silver - First Strike MS
505104 2010 25C Mount Hood NP 5 oz Silver - First Strike MS

Updated 1/12/2011
Here are the grades a buddy and I got on our sets. I don't think they are good or if I should be happy.

1 1 505100 2010 25C Hot Springs NP - 5 Ounces Silver US MS66
1 2 505100 2010 25C Hot Springs NP - 5 Ounces Silver US MS69
2 1 505101 2010 25C Yellowstone NP - 5 Ounces Silver US MS68
2 2 505101 2010 25C Yellowstone NP - 5 Ounces Silver US MS67
3 1 505102 2010 25C Yosemite NP - 5 Ounces Silver US MS67
3 2 505102 2010 25C Yosemite NP - 5 Ounces Silver US MS68
4 1 505103 2010 25C Grand Canyon NP - 5 Ounces Silver US MS68
4 2 505103 2010 25C Grand Canyon NP - 5 Ounces Silver US MS68
5 1 505104 2010 25C Mount Hood NF - 5 Ounces Silver US MS65
5 2 505104 2010 25C Mount Hood NF - 5 Ounces Silver US MS69

Updated 12/28/2010

Below are the AP's:

A-Mark Precious Metals - http://www.amark.com/
American Precious Metals Exchange, Inc. - http://www.apmex.com/
Coins N' Things of Massachusetts (not canada) - http://atb.cntofma.com/
Dillon Gage Inc. - http://www.dillongage.com/
FideliTrade - http://www.fidelitrade.com/
Jack Hunt Coin Broker - http://www.jackhunt.com/
MTB - http://www.mtbcoins.com/
Prudential Securities Inc. - New York, NY (212) 778-6667
The Gold Center - Springfield, IL (217) 793-8002
PCGS has confirmed they are now grading and encapsulating these coins without delay.

Updated 12/14/2010

So, no more than 10% markup, 1 per household, and all must be made available immediately to public.

Wall Street Journal Article

Comments

• Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Seems awfully high for 700.00 worth of melt.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $55.80 / oz plus shipping image
    GrandAm :)
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, but i think they will be hot hot hot. Jump in and join the club.

The bullion dealers are making a killing, that's for sure.
  • scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad the one I truly want doesnt come out for a few years until all this settles. These premiums are a joke.
    I was just trying to figure it out. What a f&@$ing ripoff!!!

I won't be buying one! Makes the Aussie hockeypucks even more inviting!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's time the US Mint reconsiders how they are doing this distribution thing. Distributors selling at nearly double melt somehow does not seem to be the original intent on how the system was set up. I thought the intent was for the distributors to resell at reasonable levels.......
    ----- kj
    These may be 'hot' items.... but I think I'm going to pass on this game.
    ----- kj

• << <i>Seems awfully high for 700.00 worth of melt. >>

My thoughts exactly. I was going to buy the 5 coin set and then I saw the price. The secondary market for these will either go crazy or as you pointed out end up being worth $700 melt.

I'd have paid $900 or so or maybe a little more. I'm going to end up passing on these, which of course means they'll sell for moon money in the near future.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • I decided to buy a set. Who knows what the price of silver will be next year the way it is going today. I'm only buying these and this is the end of it.

• How disappointing. Betcha the Mint is kicking themselves for not being the sole source for this massive gouge.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    EDITED 1/23/11: 332 pages and 6,626 posts to this thread...

All the BS associated with these, and this thread in particular, has killed every ounce of interest I ever had in them! The title should include "FLIPPER" in some way or another!
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i saw an ad in NN for these side by side slabbed with the regular size from NGC. WOW that thing was huge!! image

just imagine the album size. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • I have to admit that I am pretty pissed off. The Bullion distribution system was not set up so that a handful of companies could make an exorbitant profit on the exclusivity that the mint granted them. It was not supposed to be a government sanctioned ripoff of the people. I was expecting, and willing, to pay a premium, but not almost double spot. That actually goes against the wording of the bullion distribution system. BS. BS. BS.

John
    Successful BSTs with lordmarcovan, pontiacinf, Harry779, ajia, jfoot13, coinfame, Hammered54, fivecents, Coll3ctor, al410, commoncents123.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Gosh! Only $279 each?

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'll wait for Ebay.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a higher price than most of us would have expected, but does it say anywhere what the Mint charges the distributors for these rounds?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a higher price than most of us would have expected, but does it say anywhere what the Mint charges the distributors for these rounds? >>

It's going to more like Spot + $2-3 per ounce.

The Mint is going to sell them at spot plus for sure.

These are bullion and the mint will sell them as such.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • I'll bet these coins would make good beer coasters. image
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, but realize that this is a set that now has a maximum amount of sets that can be completed @ 33,000.

Low mintage is readily excepted as a value driver in other issues (How about $130 oz for Lincoln Chronicles?), why not this one?

Loves me some shiny!
    I thought I saw at one reference the Mint was selling at spot + $10 per coin to the distributors.

Might be time to complain to the Mint about the price gouge.... as if that would do any good.
    ----- kj
  • RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>yeah, but i think they will be hot hot hot. Jump in and join the club.

The bullion dealers are making a killing, that's for sure. >>

I Say NO to jumping in Wait them out, there are many more places that will start selling these on monday why would anyone pay 1395 and shipping for something they could pick up for 200 bucks a puck (more within reason) next week. This was a great ploy putting them up on there site on friday night, i am waiting and would hope others are too. When someone does find them on monday for the 200 bucks a puck there is going to be alot of others disappointed they paid way to much. I am not in that big of a hurry to wait till monday than lets see where the other dealers are at .........................and if i cannot find it for the 200 bucks a puck than i will wait till the p version comes out..........image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$1395 a set >>

If you pay by credit card, add another $66.80. Total for 1 set = $1461.80

$292.36 for each puck.

Pretty heafty price for 25 ounces of silver. If my calculations are right $58.47/oz

I wonder how many are going to try and flip these?
  • They are selling like hot cakes on e-Bay for $300 each
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't somebody say that the Mint's price to distributors was spot + $9.75 per coin? If that's the case, then the markup over cost is 78%.

I may decide to put all of my allocation of money elsewhere. These are not bullion coins by any definition. I'm kinda ticked, but hey - nobody's twisting anyone else's arms to buy these. As I suspected, any possible potential appreciation has been wrung out of these on the front end.

It's not my job to keep the Mint and it's distributor network in high cotton. I gotta think about it. There are other precious metal opportunities that are probably much better bets. grrr.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, but realize that this is a set that now has a maximum amount of sets that can be completed @ 33,000.

Low mintage is readily excepted as a value driver in other issues (How about $130 oz for Lincoln Chronicles?), why not this one? >>

1. $1400
    2. $24.95 Shipping for check and MO
    3. $66+ shipping if paying via CC
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like price gouging to me.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I am not buying at that price.....
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing I need to just be happy enjoying these from a far.

I'll buy them when the prices tank, or never.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Way beyond my budget.....
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like they started with around 1000 sets and are now at about 760 or so, about an hour or two after the initial offering.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Denomination: $0.25

FULL Heads RULE!

<< <i>Didn't somebody say that the Mint's price to distributors was spot + $9.75 per coin? If that's the case, then the markup over cost is 78%.

I may decide to put all of my allocation of money elsewhere. These are not bullion coins by any definition. I'm kinda ticked, but hey - nobody's twisting anyone else's arms to buy these. As I suspected, any possible potential appreciation has been wrung out of these on the front end.

It's not my job to keep the Mint and it's distributor network in high cotton. I gotta think about it. There are other precious metal opportunities that are probably much better bets. grrr. >>

If I recall correctly, APMEX is NOT on the authorized distributors list for the US Mint which is below:

The US Mint's Real "customers"

1. A-Mark Precious Metals, Los Angeles - Silver, Gold, Platinum
    2. Dillon Guage Inc. Dallas - Silver Only
    3. Jack Hunt Coin Brokers, Buffalo NY - Silver Only
    4. Prudential Securities Inc. New York City - Silver, Gold, Platinum
    5. The Gold Center, Springfield, Ill - Silver Only
    6. Coin's 'N Things, Bridgewater MASS - Silver Only
    7. Fidelitrade Inc, Wilmington Del - Silver Only
    8. MTB, New York City - Silver, Gold, Platinum
    9. SCB/Mocatta Bullion, New York City - Silver, Gold, Platinum

10. Commerzbank International, Luxembourg/New York City - Silver and Gold
    11. Deutsche Bank AG, Frankfurt Germany - Silver, Gold Only
    12. Union Bank of Switzerland, Zurich - Silver, Gold, Platinum

13. Hang Seng Bank, Hong Kong - Silver, Gold Only
    14. Tinaka Kikinzoku Kogyo K.K., Tokyo - Gold, Platinum Only

This means that APMEX needs to buy them from one of the above.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have to admit that I am pretty pissed off. The Bullion distribution system was not set up so that a handful of companies could make an exorbitant profit on the exclusivity that the mint granted them. It was not supposed to be a government sanctioned ripoff of the people. I was expecting, and willing, to pay a premium, but not almost double spot. That actually goes against the wording of the bullion distribution system. BS. BS. BS.

John >>

The bullion system is set up to protect the Mint from flagrant returns, as has happened with certain precious metal numismatic products when bullion prices dropped, or after the buyers had cherrypicked a shipment.

Blame those people.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Way beyond my budget..... >>

lets forget about a budget for a while and that these are made of silver which is
    quite the hot commodity lately...

i just picture a person buying all these newly minted items and i see a big pile of
    yawn. does it not remind anyone of what happened in the past when people have
    these boxes full of mint items that no one really wants anymore unless they can
    make a buck on it?

that is how i feel towards this stuff. this huge pool of mint made items year after
    year.. cannot all hold their value and will simply be bullion or things people want
    only if they pay 10 cents on the dollar of what they cost originally.
    So who has the best price on these puppies?

GrandAm image
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Didn't somebody say that the Mint's price to distributors was spot + $9.75 per coin? If that's the case, then the markup over cost is 78%.

It's not my job to keep the Mint and it's distributor network in high cotton. I gotta think about it. There are other precious metal opportunities that are probably much better bets. grrr. >>

If I recall correctly, APMEX is NOT on the authorized distributors list for the US Mint which is below:

This means that APMEX needs to buy them from one of the above. >>

From the "other" thread:
    <<

<< I've seen the list of the mint's 12 or so U.S. bullion distributors and APMEX was on that list also. >>

It was not.

14. Tinaka Kikinzoku Kogyo K.K., Tokyo - Gold, Platinum Only >>

Your list is dated...APMEX did become a dealer this year.

June 1, 2010 --
    For Immediate Release

Oklahoma City, OK:

The American Precious Metals Exchange (www.APMEX.com), one of the nation’s largest online precious metals companies, has been selected by the U.S. Mint to become an Authorized Purchaser of United States Silver Bullion Coins.

edited to "BOLD" what I wrote. image

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So who has the best price on these puppies?

GrandAm image >>

No one......
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i>So who has the best price on these puppies?

GrandAm image >>

So far APMEX if you pay by check, to avoid the 3% credit card surcharge.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I'll pass at this price.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not buying at that price..... >>

I think most of us here feel this way.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

<< <i>

<< <i>So who has the best price on these puppies?

GrandAm image >>

So far APMEX if you pay by check, to avoid the 3% credit card surcharge. >>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm out image not going to pay $55.80 per oz when silver is less than $30 per oz image

Too bad as I would really like to have The Grand Canyon puck.
  • APMEX had these offered individually listed on their website for about a month now. I was hoping to be able to get them separately just for the simple fact I can't come up with that kind of money out of nowhere. Looks like I too will be taking a pass on these.

<< <i>

<< <i>

This means that APMEX needs to buy them from one of the above. >>

From the "other" thread:
    <<

<< I've seen the list of the mint's 12 or so U.S. bullion distributors and APMEX was on that list also. >>

It was not.

14. Tinaka Kikinzoku Kogyo K.K., Tokyo - Gold, Platinum Only >>

Your list is dated...APMEX did become a dealer this year.

June 1, 2010 --
    For Immediate Release

Oklahoma City, OK:

The American Precious Metals Exchange (www.APMEX.com), one of the nation’s largest online precious metals companies, has been selected by the U.S. Mint to become an Authorized Purchaser of United States Silver Bullion Coins.

edited to "BOLD" what I wrote. image >>

I stand corrected and better informed.

The name is LEE!
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait and see. If there is a reasonable entry point then ok. If not, there's always next year's "P" Pucks at a lower Mintage and better price.

I like seeing all the dissention though.
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    you guys are nuts.

How much you think the Mint will charge?

They are already charging $56 per ounce for the Silver Proof.

Why wouldn't they charge that per oz for the pucks?

Maybe they'll bring it down to $50. That will be an even $250 per.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>you guys are nuts.

Maybe they'll bring it down to $50. That will be an even $250 per. >>

These are bullion and the mint will sell them as bullion.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>you guys are nuts.

These are bullion and the mint will sell them as bullion. >>

Yea, Ok, they are going through all the work to create 'collectable' versions so they can only charge $30 oz.

Why would they even do that, when they can get $56 per oz by selling the Proofs?

Eitherway I'm in. Limited down side and big potential upside. If I lose money, it wouldn't be the first time. Can't win if you don't play.

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From another thread on the hockey pucks:

<< <i>Another poster: This is a gift from the Mint to the distributors. The Mint will most certainly charge $195 +/- a couple of bucks for the same coin with a W mint mark. The bullion distributors are not dumb, they will be asking $225 or more very quickly. Given their purchase price of $165ish, multiply that times 4,000 and you get a tidy profit. That number could be 3,000 per distributor as I am not certain if it is 33000/12 or divided by 10 or 8.

In any case it is a bonanza for the bullion distributors. They will all make 200K out of this program.

This could easily be a $300 coin, given that every type collector will need one. >>

Me: I agree with you! The best deal on the planet now is to be one of the Mint's authorized distributors of bullion!

Well, now with the new prices, this is really, really one of the biggest sweetheart deals the Mint has ever done! Although the Goodacre "Presentation Finish" dollars comes close!image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

<< <i>

<< <i>you guys are nuts.

Ya right and I have a bridge for sale in Alaska!!

• << <i>

<< <i>you guys are nuts.

I could be wrong, but I think the reason the Mint wants to do the numismatic version is to get in on the heavy profit-taking themselves, plus they need some way to recoup the cost of the new equipment they bought to mint these things. So I expect the mint to tack on a pretty hefty premium. Based on today's spot price, I think it'll be priced upwards of $225.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file