Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>only 152 left >>

I placed and order, but never saw how many were left.
    Where is this info obtained?

Thanks
  • Options
    JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    You can find out how many APMEX has left by entering a large number into your order. A window pops up to tell you how many are still available.'

Down to 128 at 2:00 pm ET 12/4.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading Apmex's responses to the criticisms, I feel much better now about my decision not to buy them now. I have the money to buy a bunch. I'd rather not. Maybe later. This isn't fun. I probably will donate to Toys for Tots as well, and it will be a family decision. Merry Christmas, guys and gals!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Reading Apmex's responses to the criticisms, I feel much better now about my decision not to buy them now. I have the money to buy a bunch. I'd rather not. Maybe later. This isn't fun. I probably will donate to Toys for Tots as well, and it will be a family decision. Merry Christmas, guys and gals! >>

image Also is was Monaco that was selling them for 1000 a set. I thought the orignal poster saw it on tv and bought a set, the next morning when i called he offered me 10 sets 975.00 a set. Yes by the end of the day there price jumped to 1500, at least they started at the right price................
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Down to 99 left.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

<< <i>You can find out how many APMEX has left by entering a large number into your order. A window pops up to tell you how many are still available.' >>

Thanks, down to 99 at 1:13 CST
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Reading Apmex's responses to the criticisms, I feel much better now about my decision not to buy them now. I have the money to buy a bunch. I'd rather not. Maybe later. This isn't fun. I probably will donate to Toys for Tots as well, and it will be a family decision. Merry Christmas, guys and gals! >>

image Also is was Monaco that was selling them for 1000 a set. I thought the orignal poster saw it on tv and bought a set, the next morning when i called he offered me 10 sets 975.00 a set. Yes by the end of the day there price jumped to 1500, at least they started at the right price................ >>

I guess that ship sailed. Any Distributor seeing this will not be pricing at $1000 a set. The market has been set.

• Options
    Only 14 left.
  • Options
    out of stock.

1:39 CST
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭
    gone! 2:38 est

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    they gone 1:38 cst
  • Options
    SOLD OUT!
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭
    $1,000,000+ in 24 hours

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    I came here to try and offer some insight why we came out with the prices we did. Then I asked for what you would do. All I got was more complaints... Should I have just sold these wholesale at $1,500 and not offered any to our customers? Should I have sold an item which has a mintage of 33,000 for $0.29 cents over mint cost (Comparing them to the 30,000,000 SAE's the mint will be making this year.) Then the greedy trolls out there would have come in and bought them all us and sold them on ebay for $1,700 each... (Anyone who bought them would be out of luck unless you were really quick on the trigger...) Should I have sold 1,000 at a premium less than wholesale to our customers? ($1,395 vs. $1,500 or more?) Give me some options vs. just more complaints... We asked our self all the questions you are posing here and we came up with our solution. We knew we would be damned if we did sell at this price and damned if we didn't sell any. How do you win here? In the end, we have to make a market here. We have sold 800 in 19 hours... Seems to me if we sold them for less greedy folks would have come in and ordered hundreds of sets and they would be out in minutes or hours. The fact is, we sold to dealers at this same level... If we offered them for more money, we would have looked worse. So, I will go back to my original question. Put YOURSELF in our shoes and give me some feedback on how YOU would have handled it...

Sounds like the typical "entitlement mentality" to me. He actually has the gall to whine about it.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Wow! 95 SETS went in less than 30 min.

Interesting to see what will happen next.....
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anyone have a screenshot of the APMEX page with the price?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$1,000,000+ in 24 hours >>

"Greed is good."

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Let's carry this speculation a bit further. That's ONE distributor down, and 12(?) more to go. Any bets on the direction of prices as this rolls along?

This isn't the only website that is seeing resistance to the scam, er, I mean - price structure.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    silverman68silverman68 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    Lets see, the 1995W ASE sells for $3000 more or less and it IS REALLY one ounce of silver.

Not one person on this board would sell the 5 ounce rounds for $500 if they could get $1400. Lets get real, some people are jealous of APMEX. $1400 will be a bargain in a couple weeks.

Ebayers already paying $1800.
  • Options

<< <i>Let's carry this speculation a bit further. That's ONE distributor down, and 12(?) more to go. Any bets on the direction of prices as this rolls along?

This isn't the only website that is seeing resistance to the scam, er, I mean - price structure. >>

Yup...if you consider $1.4 million in sales in less than 24 hours as "resistance"

• Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Let's carry this speculation a bit further. That's ONE distributor down, and 12(?) more to go. Any bets on the direction of prices as this rolls along?

This isn't the only website that is seeing resistance to the scam, er, I mean - price structure. >>

My view is it's one distributor and only a part of their allocation.

Estimate 10 Distros. 3300 sets each, leaves 2300 left at Apmex.

My guess is they will allocate to other dealers, they can't keep all the golden eggs.

• Options

<< <i>Lets see, the 1995W ASE sells for $3000 more or less and it IS REALLY one ounce of silver.

Not one person on this board would sell the 5 ounce rounds for $500 if they could get $1400. Lets get real, some people are jealous of APMEX. $1400 will be a bargain in a couple weeks. >>

I was thinking the same thing with the mintages of the 1995W. These are going to be huge. This is the first year, it will almost undoubtedly have the lowest mintage, and a lot of people don't even know they've been offered for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 5-coin set sell for upwards of $3,000 in the next year...
  • Options
    Lets get real, some people are jealous of APMEX.

Nope, not jealous of Apmex. As I indicated, I was ready and prepared to buy a bunch. I simply thought that it was a bad idea, and I speculate in Modern Bullion heavily. This deal is massively FRONT-END loaded, and I am glad not to be in it at this time. The risk/reward is skewed.

That doesn't mean that they won't go up, at least for awhile. However - personally, I'm betting that paying $1,395.00 for these particular 25 oz. of silver is a bad investment, especially in comparison to all kinds of other alternative bullion.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. As for Apmex, who cares?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    APMEX is the bad guy for pricing their coins such that they were available to interested buyers for about a day instead of pricing them near melt, where they would have almost certainly sold out immediately when a few buyers bought up their whole inventory, with those buyers turning right around and offering the coins for sale at a much higher price? O-kay.

How many of you (in general, not directed at any specific poster) would have been among the very few that were able to get an order in in the short time the coins would have been available, priced near melt? Not many, I'd think. And considering all the posting here about figuring ways around the mint's ordering limits on other offerings, the complaining about not being able to get a rip here seems just a bit hypocritical.

But then again, that's just me... YMMV. image
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe that no other dealers are stepping up to get some of this.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    Predictions on what a set of 2010 non-graded bullion will sell for in a year? Who is actually going to collect the 2010 key to the bullion set and not just wait for the correct time to flip?
  • Options
    I wish everyone well with these giant Quarters,
    But for me, I'd rather have #5 Ten ounce Engelhard bars :-)
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options

<< <i>I can't believe that no other dealers are stepping up to get some of this. >>

Probably were waiting for APMEX to sell out so they can justify a price bump for their pucks
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭
    Another interesting question would be....once everybody list what they purchased from Apmex in Ebay and such and then Apmex or their distributors come out with Slabbed PCGS and NGC MS69's and MS70's which one would you buy....the Raw or the Graded??? Whats your two cents???
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    I'd say its been justified. Now that apmex is out, monaco can sell out of theirs at 1500
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to laugh with this. Seriously I hope folks turn profit on this, but at $60/oz forget it. Play the graded or rairity or whatever game, these are bullion, just like the current lower mintage spouses.

Cost was mandated, dealers cost was spot +$10/coin. You just bought at spot +$140/coin raw. Have fun with that. Can't wait for my Aussie silver to show up for like $30/oz less.
  • Options

<< <i>My view is it's one distributor and only a part of their allocation.

Estimate 10 Distros. 3300 sets each, leaves 2300 left at Apmex.

My guess is they will allocate to other dealers, they can't keep all the golden eggs. >>

Some of APMEX's allocation is probably on their way to being slabbed. Some will probably appear on their website at a higher price point.
  • Options

<< <i>Another interesting question would be....once everybody list what they purchased from Apmex in Ebay and such and then Apmex or their distributors come out with Slabbed PCGS and NGC MS69's and MS70's which one would you buy....the Raw or the Graded??? Whats your two cents??? >>

Good question, it will be fun to see what these go for when graded. If I wanted to actually collect these I would wait for graded or find some where I could see one before buying. I wonder how hard it will be for a MS70 to be found with the size of these and the handling?
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Another interesting question would be....once everybody list what they purchased from Apmex in Ebay and such and then Apmex or their distributors come out with Slabbed PCGS and NGC MS69's and MS70's which one would you buy....the Raw or the Graded??? Whats your two cents??? >>

Good question, it will be fun to see what these go for when graded. If I wanted to actually collect these I would wait for graded or find some where I could see one before buying. I wonder how hard it will be for a MS70 to be found with the size of these and the handling? >>

Now i am sure they would price that MS70 for a lot of carrots...i mean dollars. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    I saw a link on coinzine

<< <i> Collectors Alliance - http://www.collectorsalliance.com is currently offering full sets on a public presale for $400 per coin. They are only available via contacting them at ... >>

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    APMEX allowed unlimited orders so there may have been only 350 people or less that bought those up, maybe 200 or less.
  • Options
    the average for our group was only 2 sets per... on average.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>the average for our group was only 2 sets per... on average. >>

Do you suppose the people in your group were planning on putting together two sets each? Or keeping one and selling the other for a profit?
  • Options
    that was the average.

I think almost all of them were buying and keeping them.

• Options
    PS

Right now, I think there will be a lot of flippers on eBay.

a LOT.
  • Options

<< <i>PS

a LOT. >>

Not as many as there would have been if APMEX was selling near spot.
  • Options
    In fact, I predict something similar to what happened with Buchanan's Liberty.

For the raw ones, those that go out on eBay will be met so many other sellers, that they will sell at a net loss to the seller.

FS 70 Graded ones? I'm not sure.
  • Options

<< <i> Lets get real, some people are jealous of APMEX.

Nope, not jealous of Apmex. As I indicated, I was ready and prepared to buy a bunch. I simply thought that it was a bad idea, and I speculate in Modern Bullion heavily. This deal is massively FRONT-END loaded, and I am glad not to be in it at this time. The risk/reward is skewed.

That doesn't mean that they won't go up, at least for awhile. However - personally, I'm betting that paying $1,395.00 for these particular 25 oz. of silver is a bad investment, especially in comparison to all kinds of other alternative bullion.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. As for Apmex, who cares? >>

I think the market value of these coins will be heavily tied to the numismatic versions when they become available. My guess is the Mint will sell the numismatic versions for about $225, assuming the price of silver stays where it is. That will cause the bullion versions to drop in price. However, the market price of the numismatic versions will climb steeply from there, and the bullion version will follow close behind. So I think the time to buy the bullion version might be right after the mint announces the pricing for the numismatic version.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PS

a LOT. >>

Not as many as there would have been if APMEX was selling near spot. >>

maybe.

but there will be masses crowding eBay.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>the average for our group was only 2 sets per... on average. >>

Do you suppose the people in your group were planning on putting together two sets each? Or keeping one and selling the other for a profit? >>

Note that MsMorrisine had the buyers and a waiting list before the Mint announced the radically lower mintage. So I would say very few were in it for flipping.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>PS

a LOT. >>

Not as many as there would have been if APMEX was selling near spot. >>

How would that make a difference?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    They may only have 100,000 sets for next year but that still means these 33,000 will be much lower mintage.
  • Options

<< <i>I think the market value of these coins will be heavily tied to the numismatic versions when they become available. My guess is the Mint will sell the numismatic versions for about $225, assuming the price of silver stays where it is. That will cause the bullion versions to drop in price. However, the market price of the numismatic versions will climb steeply from there, and the bullion version will follow close behind. So I think the time to buy the bullion version might be right after the mint announces the pricing for the numismatic version. >>

That could very well happen.

I think the numismatic release will certainly have an effect on the bullion ones once released.

Also, The mint will run their pricing through normal pricing structures and profit margins. They aren't going to "get in on this" like some people think. The numismatic versions will likely go 1 per household per design and be in the low $200 price range.

Those passing on the bullion will likely move to the numismatic version.

Should it go this way, the bullion flippers who got in over $1000/set will suffer.

• Options

<< <i>How would that make a difference? >>

It wouldn't. It was just an opinion regarding eBay activity.
  • Options

<< <i>I have to laugh with this. Seriously I hope folks turn profit on this, but at $60/oz forget it. Play the graded or rairity or whatever game, these are bullion, just like the current lower mintage spouses.

Cost was mandated, dealers cost was spot +$10/coin. You just bought at spot +$140/coin raw. Have fun with that. Can't wait for my Aussie silver to show up for like $30/oz less. >>

nevermind

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file