Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Offical Baseball HOF Rookies Thread (Future HOF Rookies too)@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comments

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    the 49 are 1st bowman cards and yes not rookies issued the year before.
    There was a set poll taken on these cards and it was voted to allow them as part of the set.
    Now that is is set...I would not vote to change it.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I do think those three are rookies, Jay, because '48 Leafs were actually issued in '49. But they are less desirable rookies than the Leafs, and they do not belong in the set IMO. Why would we allow those and not lesser rookies for Gwynn, Ripken, Boggs, etc.? That's inconsistent.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of recent pick ups for my set until I can find my Koufax.

• Options
    Sooooooo, kinda surprised that Dawson was the lone inductee this year, but I've also learned over the years that you never quite know what to expect with the voting. But hey, at least much less of a crapshoot than football. That said, Blyleven fell just 5 votes short, and Alomar was just 8 away. First time in history that two candidates missed by less than 10 votes in the same year. It's pretty obvious that both will get in next year.

Larkin (51.6%) may get in in 2012 when there are zero first-time eligible candidates who will ever so much as sniff the Hall without a ticket. What was also noteworthy about this year's vote, to me anyway, is that Jack Morris jumped from 44% last year to 52% this year. Makes you wonder if he'll get in one day. Until now, I didn't think so.

As for who will join Blyleven and Alomar next year, that will be very interesting to see. Palmeiro, Bagwell, Juan Gone and Walker are all first-time eligibles. So, to recap, a confirmed juicer, two HIGHLY suspected juicers, and a borderline candidate at best. My money says it'll be just Bert and Robbie.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i> So, to recap, a confirmed juicer, two HIGHLY suspected juicers, and a borderline candidate at best. My money says it'll be just Bert and Robbie. >>

IMO, if the HOF is going to let confirmed juicers in, then McGwire should be in no doubt about it. Same for when Clemens is eligible. If they want to allow it, then there should be no such thing as "drawing the line" somewhere. Whats good for one is good for all.
  • Options
    The only legitimate argument I've heard against McGwire (who I like both as a player and as a person) is that he was not a HOF caliber player before he started juicing. Jerks, I mean players, like Bonds and Clemens were. Palmeiro may be in the same boat as McGwire. He was probably the lighest hitting 1B in ALL of baseball before his power numbers surged in Texas. And Bags? Heck, I just think he juiced from beginning to end. I've heard him referred to as one of the Godfathers of steroids in baseball.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    What do ya'll think about adding Edgar Martinez to the Future HoF set? Starting out at 36.2% isn't too bad. He did better this year than Raines and McGwire, who are both in the set.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    I think based on that showing he should get added to the set.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    yes to edgar.
    is it his 1988 fleer?

One of the best hitters in the past 30 years

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Rich, et al, I'm one step ahead of ya'll. I already sent the request for Edgar in. '88 Fleer.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>The only legitimate argument I've heard against McGwire (who I like both as a player and as a person) is that he was not a HOF caliber player before he started juicing. >>

How was he not a HOF player before he started juicing? He hit 49HR and slugged .600+ as a rookie! He followed that up with 32 HR, 33 and 39HR the following three years. I don't claim to know when McGwire started juicing, but those numbers are clearly the start of a solid HOF campaign in my book.
  • Options
    Yes, absolutely the START to a HOF career with one of the best rookie seasons ever. But how many players have started brilliantly (Oliva is a great example) only to fall short of the HOF? We could sit here and list a couple hundred.

You could probably point to the '95 season as one where McGwire may have started juicing. His previous years?:

1988: .260-32-99
    1989: .231-33-95
    1990: .235-39-108
    1991: .201-22-75
    1992: .268-42-104
    1993: .333-9-24
    1994: .252-9-25

Kinda Dave Kingman-like with some really good HR totals and some really ugly batting averages. These are just not HOF numbers. Like I said, I really like Mac, but he wasn't on his way to the HOF until he tore it up between '95 and '99.
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
    Some great recent pick-ups posted on this thread, I especially like the Kaline RC. Here are my holidays/end-of-the-year HOFer RC purchases. Enjoy!

imageimage

• Options
    Great cards! Where'd you get em?
  • Options
    Three off of the 'bay (Brett, Schmidt & Wynn), one from my favorite shop (Reggie).
  • Options
    Really nice pickups! image
  • Options
    Thanks Matt. Although the Wynn's BIN was $50 over SMR, its free shipping and cash back from Bing, eBates and eBay $$ (totaling $62) made it worth it.
  • Options
    I might add extremely nice PU's
    reg is exceptional.

for the really nice high end stuff...throw out vcp and smr.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Andy, Now go add those cards to your set, It should get you inside the top 30 shouldnt it?
  • Options
    BTW, I am DYING to make a pickup to add to my set that will throw me over the 70% threshold. Anyone have a PSA 8 or PSA 7 RC to add to my set, please shoot me a mail!
  • Options

<< <i>A couple of recent pick ups for my set until I can find my Koufax. >>

Bob, Nice pickups! You did well on those cards. Any luck on the Koufax?
  • Options
    Thanks Matt. No...no luck on the Koufax. There is a new one on ebay with a BIN but the left to right centering is distracting to me. I will be patient until the right one comes along. I dont want to settle on any card that comes up. The Koufax is probably my favorite card in the set.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy, Nice looking Brett and Schmidt.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    My latest addition. Between the best offer I submitted and my ebay gift certificate from Christmas, I got this for 60 bucks! Its a nice 8 IMO.

• Options
    That's a great looking 8!
  • Options
    Bob, Thats a fantastic looking 8. Congrats, thats the big one from the 70's in PSA 8.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! Molitor is on the way too. Just need a few more to finish the 70s to present.
  • Options
    Do you guys know if PSA waits until HOF inductees have been enshrined before adding them to the set, or is there no rhyme or reason? I was just curious on when we would see Andre Dawson in the set
  • Options

<< <i>I was just curious on when we would see Andre Dawson in the set >>

Bob, Dawson was added today. BTW great looking Schmidt, to me that looks like it's under graded. 8.5???? Looking forward to seeing your Molitor.

I just picked up a Sutter and Sandberg.
  • Options
    Oh Geez! I didnt even notice. Thanks.
    Congrats on the pick ups. I dont know why, but finding the Sutter was a tough one for me. Rarely did 8s come up on ebay when I was looking. Now, Im going through the same thing with the Eckersley.
  • Options
    Bob, Thanks for adding the link to your set under your sig line. Its alot of fun watching you and Bobby (porter26) put your set together.
  • Options
    It is nice 2 c what others collect.
    I just clicked on matts sets for the first time...he aslo does. clemente, gibson, and brooksie.
    I like to see everyones latest addition.

Mr downtown I see some prices starting to go back up from the absolutely miserable ebay downfall last year.
    The cards you mentioned are not rare just that to sell them at all time lows would mean big a loss for most collectors.
    A fellow board member was only offering $14 inc shipping for a dead 50-50 sutter 8 because vcp showed that tye card had one hit
    $13 on one auction.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Sutter 8s were less than $10 before his election to the Hall. IIRC I paid $6 plus less than a dollar shipping (part of a large 4SC order) for mine.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Good for you
    I got mine before he went into the hof also.

Consider even on a psa special and 2 routes ( To and back) to ship plus insurance....it costs at least $5-6 to get a card graded.
    You basically said a 30 year old card of a hofer in nmt-mt condition if is an 8 is worthless.

You all have another year to shop for a 71 bert
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    << I was just curious on when we would see Andre Dawson in the set >> <<Bob, Dawson was added today.>>

I noticed Dawson got added but for some reason my card isn't showing up in my set -- even though it's in my inventory. Anyone else have that issue?

Also, is there a Hockey HOF Rookies thread?

Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • Options
    Howdy Vince. Welcome to the boards (took ya long enough image ) You should have no problem adding the Dawson to your set. If you go to My Set Registry --> My Sets --> the HOF rookies set, it should show up in the Dawson slot and say "add item", as long as you already have it registered as part of another set. If not, you may want to contact PSA to correct the problem.
  • Options
    <<Howdy Vince. Welcome to the boards (took ya long enough ) You should have no problem adding the Dawson to your set. If you go to My Set Registry --> My Sets --> the HOF rookies set, it should show up in the Dawson slot and say "add item", as long as you already have it registered as part of another set. If not, you may want to contact PSA to correct the problem.>>

Thanks Andy. I'm slow but I get there in the end.
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • Options
    Hello Vince, Do not know who you are but its great to see another Post War HOF collector. What is the name of your set?

The link to my set is in the signature line below. If you can help me out with any holes in PSA 7 or better grade, please let me know. Again, welcome to the boards!
  • Options
    Bob, Nice looking Molitor. Your set is coming a long nicely.
  • Options
    <<Hello Vince, Do not know who you are but its great to see another Post War HOF collector. What is the name of your set?

The link to my set is in the signature line below. If you can help me out with any holes in PSA 7 or better grade, please let me know. Again, welcome to the boards! >>

Hi Matt, I've updated my signature to give a link to my sets. My biggest problem is living in Australia -- it makes seeing the cards difficult and shipping them even more of a challenge. I've never sold a single card, mainly for tha reason -- who wants to pay $15 shipping for a $50 card?

• Options
    Matt, I'm a bit computer challenged. My HOF Post-War RC set is under the name "Up in Flames". As in that's about what I'm doing with the money I'm spending on it.
  • Options
    Vince, Welcome to the boards again. You have a GREAT set! I happened to be checking the Post War HOFers set the day you added your set, so have been following it from there. Glad you found your way to these boards. Anything I can ever help you with, please let me know.

• Options
    Bob, Another great pick-up with that Molitor. You have really done a great job at picking up well centered, top end PSA 8's for your set. Look forward to seeing the nxt addition.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words Matt and Bobby. I am pretty excited about the prospect for the Eckersley rookie from Ron Burgundy. 8s dont come up very often on ebay. Im going to concentrate on getting the Puckett, Dawson, Rice and Eckersley and those will complete my run from 72 to present. I will probably take a short buying break so I can start selling off some other cards I dont want anymore. I need to build up a nice Paypal account so I can tackle the 60s HOFers next.
  • Options
    Thanks for that Matt. I have been back in collecting for about 3 years now and must admit the Set Registry has made me do some crazy (stupid??) things. I bought a PSA 9 OPC Eckersley RC and did the same for Fisk's RC and have now purchased a Topps Fisk to add to the set. Wouldn't have thought I'd get so obsessed.

I also collect SGC graded cards so my PSA registry set doesn't list everything I have in the HOF RC's (like the '51 Mantle or the '52 Wilhelm).

• Options
    Hello Vince. Your HOf set is nothing short of spectacular. I would love to see some scans.
    Bob
  • Options
    Thanks for that Bob. Regarding the scans, we get back to my techie incompetence. It's been on my list of things to do for a while now. At some point I'll get off my butt and get it done, but not before someone shows me how to do it.
  • Options
    Good looking card. Does Eck have ears?

Too bad the OPC version isn't part of the registry set, I got lucky on a PSA 9.