Offical Baseball HOF Rookies Thread (Future HOF Rookies too)@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comments

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Great Looking Eck Bob!
  • paleocardspaleocards Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭
    In keeping with the '70s theme provided by Bob's Eck, here are my latest:

imageimage
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    A couple of stunners there. Both look like 9's. Great pickups!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I really like the way the Eck presents. The Puckett is on its way here too, so that just leaves me with the Dawson and Rice to complete 1972 - present. I am thinking of upgrading the Henderson to a 9 as well.
    Great additions Andy, I really think you got hosed on the grade on that Carter. That looks like a PSA 9 to me.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob, Nice looking Eck, that is such a tough card to find in that grade or higher. Andy as Matt mentioned nice addition to your collection. The Carter looks a lot sharper then the grade given.

I just picked up this Goose as well as this Winfield. I do not have the Winfield in hand, but it's on the way. The holder has a few scratches, it's not on the card. I'll have to reholder it at the National.

imageimage
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
    Nice centering on that Winny, Bobby, it'll look much better in a fresh holder. My Carter has a touch on the bottom right that isn't easy to see because of the yellow border, that's why it's no higher than an "8" (but it sure is a pretty 8...)
    Nice dawson Bob, You seem to pickup a new card for your set almost daily!

<< <i>I've never sold a single card, mainly for tha reason -- who wants to pay $15 shipping for a $50 card? >>

Vince you dont happen to have an extra 1962 Topps Gaylord Perry in PSA 7 or PSA 8 at your place do you? Would love to be you're first sale.
  • Matt, I had a quick look but all I've got is the one 8. Been trying to find a good 9 for a while now but the border makes it hard. Same for Brock.
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
    My two latest pick ups. The Brett has unbelievable color.

imageimage

Edit Pics
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Very Nice additions. Here is my latest. One of the harder ones to find nice.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
    Another recent PU..although not a RC.
    For my basic Clemente set

Its a beauty

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    Jay the Robinson is sweet, but the Clemente is amazing. Congrats on those pick ups.

<< <i>Very Nice additions. Here is my latest. One of the harder ones to find nice.
    image[/

• Great looking cards Jay. The Clemente is one I hadn't seen before -- RC blinders on I guess -- but it's a beautiful card.
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
    The 63 may be my fav clemente card. That year is so very difficult with print sports, centering, and bottom color issues.
    Love BB before 1970 topps.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    Just got a vote request to add Todd Helton to the future baseball HOF rookie card set. I was already on the fence about this one, but after a little more thought/research I voted no. Helton had a very nice (Coor's Field inflated of course) 5-year run from '99 to '03, but he's actually been a below average power hitting first baseman ever since. The back problems are somewhat to blame, but he's also, IMO, under suspicion for having used steroids. In fact there was an announcer who basically outed him for juicing. The story kinda blew over, but I remember it clearly. And the disparity between home and road stats is just to great for me to call this guy a HOF'er:

H: 916 G .361-200-728
    R: 896 G .294-125-474

Even if steroids weren't a factor, I just don't think he was dominant for long enough. All of this said, I'm guessing he'll get voted in to the set anyway. Glad I already have his rookie just in case. image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

<< <i>The 63 may be my fav clemente card. >>

Might be the nicest 63 Clemente I have ever seen in that grade. Nice card Jay, Where did you pick it up at? EBAY?
    Beautiful cards, Bobby and Jay! Great color on those '75s Bobby, and it's tough to find the '57 F Robby that well-centered.
    Speaking of well-centered Frank Robinson rookies... image

I actually had an 8 that I really liked, but then this one came along (for cheap too) and I could not pass it up.

Picked up this Rice last week. Once my Eckersley comes in, I will only need the Puckett to complete my 70s to present run of HOF rookies. But first...I have some selling to do.

Nice Rice Bob, Your doing a great job of pipcking up very nicely centered cards!
    Bob, pretty Rice. Congrats on your 70's and 80's run.
    Nice rice. Andy's F Rob is definately nicer than mine. Was that the red-zone one i didn't bid on?
    I noticed the guys here have bought nice versions...no junk.
    To answer matt..yes my 63 clemente was from ebay. I am also willing to spend a premium for nice higher end cards.
    In this case I think it was well worth it...

A goal for me this coming year is to either get his RC or finish the rest of the years I need.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

<< <i>Nice rice. Andy's F Rob is definately nicer than mine. Was that the red-zone one i didn't bid on? >>

No. that one was nice, but I sold it when I bought this one.
  • Pardon my ignorance but why isn't Phil Rizzuto included in the "Hall of Fame Players - Post War Rookies" set? His RC's are either of the '48 cards but he's not on the list. Can anyone tell me why? Curious.
    Vince, Rizzuto was actually (erroneously) included in the set at one point. His rookie card though is 1941 Double Play, which is a pre-war issue.
  • Thanks for that Andy, it's all clear to me now. Not a very appealing RC though and I'm assuming the same applies to Pee Wee Reese. Pre-war players are a pain to collect RC's for. Might have to just pick my favorite card for each pre-war HOFer. The RC's are a logistical nightmare to identify sometimes -- subjective at best.

Then there's the $$.

<< <i>Thanks for that Andy, it's all clear to me now. Not a very appealing RC though and I'm assuming the same applies to Pee Wee Reese. Pre-war players are a pain to collect RC's for. Might have to just pick my favorite card for each pre-war HOFer. The RC's are a logistical nightmare to identify sometimes -- subjective at best. >>

Very true, Vince. That's why we have a Post-War HOF rookies set and not just a HOF rookies set. Pee Wee Reese's rookie is '41 Play Ball, which is actually a very popular card. There are quite a few pre-war HOF rookie cards that are pretty much set in stone, but there are many more that are not. You get into postcards, cards that were only issued in sheets, minor league issues, etc. It gets very messy.
    My newest Post War HOFers set addition courtesy of PWCC auction. I paid handsomely for it, but I think its a spectacular copy of this card. This card gets me above the 70% mark on my set. I am really hoping to get to 80% completion on this set by the end of 2010.

SSSSSSSSSSimply exceptional.
    That one could possiblt bump.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Great looking card Matt. Nice addition.
    Miller, Pretty pick up.
    Here is my newest acquisition a 78 Murray. I'm down to 5 cards left from 72-84

I had a feeling you were the winner of "prewarcardcollector's" Wynn RC -- great score Matt!

<< <i>I had a feeling you were the winner of "prewarcardcollector's" Wynn RC -- great score Matt! >>

Thanks Andy, I really like this card, cant wait to get it in hand.

Bobby, That Eddie Murray is very nice. Youre on a nice run of picking up some nice PSA 8.5's lately.
    Last night I pulled the trigger on the biggest card I've ever bought. I should have it by early next week (it shipped today). I'll scan it then show it off here first. Can't wait!

<< <i>Last night I pulled the trigger on the biggest card I've ever bought. I should have it by early next week (it shipped today). I'll scan it then show it off here first. Can't wait! >>

TEASE
  • cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    I still think Javier Vazquez has a better then average shot at the HoF barring major injury.

Some of his numbers don't look great and others dazzle, but I think the guy will end with over 4K strikeouts and with that will have over 250 wins... His ERA may not look great currently but I think he could end his career under 4.00
    I'm a big Javy Vazquez fan. I try for him every year in fantasy baseball because he is so overlooked. Still though, I think his chances of making the HOF are zilch. He's 142-139 with a 4.19 ERA, has never won more than 16 games in a season, and never finished higher than 4th place in the Cy Young voting. It would be a real stretch for him to hit the 250/4,000 milestones. I also think leaving Atlanta, where he just had his best season, to go back to the Yankees, where the numbers are sure to deflate, will hurt him.
    I'm not sure I should have done this, but I did. I felt I should free up some money by down grading this card. I sold my 48 Bowman Kiner 8 to Matt Miller for this Kiner. What do you guys think of my new Kiner?

My old Kiner

My New Kiner. I think it has nice eye appeal.

Edit: Pics
    Nothing wrong with freeing up some cash for the greater good of your registry sets.

Since we're sharing, here's my latest pickup. I love this card! Can't imagine a nicer 6:

Andy, The Wilhelm has great eye appeal. That looks nicer then a 6.
  • Wow, that looks better than a 6 Andy!