Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Offical Baseball HOF Rookies Thread (Future HOF Rookies too)@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comments

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great card Matt! That is a fine addition to your set.

I would add some scans of my recent HOF rookie pick ups, but I need a new scanner. image
    Anyways...... I picked up an Ozzie Smith, a Catfish Hunter and a Yastrzemski rookie all in PSA 8.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Since everyone else seems to post a new addition...here is mine. Last one for a while.

odviously I need to scan this card again.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

A couple of additions to my HOF set. I need to get me a new scanner though.

• Options
    Nice additions, That Yaz is very nicely centered! Congrats, look forward to seeing what else you add.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Ok, so somehow Dale Murphy and Dave Parker managed to sneak their way into the future HoF rookie set. Looks like the registry collectors are a bit more forgiving than the actual Hall of Fame voters. Since I already had these guys in my MVP set, no sweat.

imageimage
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Your Parker and Murphy RCs present well; congratulations.

Yes, it looks like the Baseball Future HOF RCs shows some of the same symptoms that it's Football sister has - it includes cards of guys whom are very unlikely to ever be HOFers. It seems that a more appropriate moniker for the composites is "Near HOF Rookies" rather than "Future HOF Rookies".

Thanks for sharing your cards.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, so somehow Dale Murphy and Dave Parker managed to sneak their way into the future HoF rookie set. Looks like the registry collectors are a bit more forgiving than the actual Hall of Fame voters. >>

Quite frankly, I'm a little ticked about this. As the person who put this set together and submitted it to PSA, I carefully thought out all of the selections (a lot of the steroid stuff came out after the fact, so I can't be blamed for that). I also, of course, researched the HOF voting results. Parker (15%) and Murphy (11.5%) are barely still alive in a voting process that requires 75% for election. They have ZERO chance to be elected to the HOF, unless they miraculously get inducted by the Vet's Committee, which elects exactly zero players every other year. This just seems to me like, hey, I have these cards and I want to display them in another set. Arghhh!!! Ok, rant's over image

Name % of Votes
    Henderson, Rickey 94.8%
    Rice, Jim 76.4%
    Dawson, Andre 67%
    Blyleven, Bert 62.7%
    Smith, Lee 44.5%
    Morris, Jack 44%
    John, Tommy 31.7%
    Raines, Tim 22.6%
    McGwire, Mark 21.9%
    Trammell, Alan 17.4%
    Parker, Dave 15%
    Mattingly, Don 11.9%
    Murphy, Dale 11.5%
    Baines, Harold 5.9%
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Andy, I can understand your frustration. I viewed the Set Composite and the seasoned inclusion of others (Jim Kaat, Jack Morris) certainly elicits a similar response. Hopefully you can cull the list of non-sequiturs and / or get the name changed to "Baseball Near HOF Rookies".

Besides some collectors wanting display cards because they have them, I think that some believe that "more is better" rather than "more is more" and "more is watered-down".

Professional Halls Of Fame themselves are already much too inclusive for me. If it were up to me, Rickey Henderson would have been the only player inducted into Cooperstown this year - my opinion only. Calling never-gonna-be-HOFers "Future HOFers" dilutes the beer even more. I guess I don't own "Near HOF" sets because I don't drink near beer. image
  • Options

<< <i>Ok, so somehow Dale Murphy and Dave Parker managed to sneak their way into the future HoF rookie set. >>

People have asked me on a couple of occasions, why I dont build the Future HOFers set to go along with my Post War HOFers set. This is the EXACT reason why I dont participate. The composition makes absolutely NO sense to me. Some of these guys will never come close to enter the Hall of Fame!
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    We don't know what the Veterans Committee will do 20 years from now. It might loosen up again such that the 1970s/1980s equivalents of Richie Ashburn, Phil Rizzuto, and Bill Mazeroski get inducted. If so, Jack Morris is a shoo-in, and Dale Murphy and Dave Parker stand decent chances.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>We don't know what the Veterans Committee will do 20 years from now. It might loosen up again such that the 1970s/1980s equivalents of Richie Ashburn, Phil Rizzuto, and Bill Mazeroski get inducted. If so, Jack Morris is a shoo-in, and Dale Murphy and Dave Parker stand decent chances. >>

The fact that we "don't know" what the Vets Committee will do in the future can pretty much blow this set wide open to all kinds of wild speculation.

Also, guys who made it via the Vets Committee actually got a good deal of support on the BBWAA ballot at some point during their stay:
    Maz = 42.33% in 15th year
    Rizzuto = 38.4% in 13th year
    Ashburn = 41.7% in 11th year

Murphy and Parker have never gotten above 25%, and mostly live in the teens or lower.

Is there a limit as to the number of times a player can go before the Vets committee, or can they vote on the same players forever?

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Thanksgiving Eve pickup for my Post War HOFers set. Just need one card (Gaylord Perry) to complete my run from 56 to the present in PSA 8 or better.

• Options
    Great pick up Matt! I know you have been looking for that card for a while now. Congrats!!!
  • Options

One of two great 57 Rookies I bought for my HOF rookie set from Felicia. I also bought her 57 Mazeroski rookie.

• Options
    Very nice pickup. Is Felicia a seller on eBay?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Yes she is but I bought this from her 57 set breakup thread on the BST forum.
  • Options
    Killer 8. What do you think kept it from being a 9?
  • Options
    Thanks Shag. I would imagine the left to right centering. But then...I dont know if its enough to knock it down. The corners are like razors and there are no fish eyes. Im very happy with it.
  • Options
    Nice Brett! Congrats
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Shag. I would imagine the left to right centering. But then...I dont know if its enough to knock it down. The corners are like razors and there are no fish eyes. Im very happy with it. >>

You might want to see if it'd bump.

I sold this card a while back, but it used to be an 8.

• Options
    This isn't going in my set as the 48 Bowman I have is a higher grade, but it is part of the Post War HOFer's composition and thought I would throw it up here. Its by far Stan Musial's hardest basic card to find, and I am pleased to finally own one.

• Options
    Terrific pickup, Matt. I'm sure you are thrilled with that card - as you should be! Where'd ya get it?
  • Options
    Purchased these a few months ago.....just sharing.

• Options
    Matt, that Musial is off the charts! Congrats on a fantastic pick up!

r00kies, Nice trifecta there! Thats 3 nice biggies to get out of the way for this set. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options

<< <i>Terrific pickup, Matt. I'm sure you are thrilled with that card - as you should be! Where'd ya get it? >>

One of our board member Brian (Bkritz) contacted me 10 days ago while I was travelling and let me know he had the 48 Musial Leaf in PSA 7. It took me getting back into town to complete the deal.
  • Options
    Thanks very much Bob!

Richard (Rookies101)-Very nice set of cards you got there.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I'm just starting out on the Baseballcard HOF registry set (along with Basketball and Football HOF registry sets respectively). With so many options, it's difficult to decide what to get next, but my funds helps me make that decision. image
  • Options

<< <i>I'm just starting out on the Baseballcard HOF registry set >>

What name is your set under, I love following the progress of the fellow board members sets. The Baseball Post War HOFers set is such a challenge, but so much fun.

You have some great resources for cards on these boards with the heavy hitters like Andy (20Barry20) and Jay Grote (Jayz Baseball HOF) and others. I have only been back collecting for about 2 years now, so I dont have much inventory outside of whats in my sets ( I sold all my RAW 85, 86 and 87 cards years ago). The guys I mentioned above, might be able to help you out with duplicate cards that they have that would fill holes in your set. Both are great guys to deal with.

Enjoy the challenge, great to see another board member building this set.
  • Options
  • Options
    There is no way this thread shouldever fall off the first page, and it needs to be bumped so Andy can show us his Clemente, Aaron and Ford RC's hes recently picked up.
  • Options
    Alright Matt, ask and you shall receive. Here's the Ford:

Super sweet card. Very happy to have found it.
  • Options
    That a great looking Ford. Centering on that card is top notch!
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy,

Great looking Ford. I have now started the HOF set. My set will not match yours or Millers, but thanks for selling me the Kiner a few months ago. The Kiner and the Clemente are the jewels to my set as of now.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options

<< <i>The Kiner and the Clemente are the jewels to my set as of now. >>

That Kiner of yours is begging to be part of my set. I need to find you another one.........AND FAST!
  • Options
    Hey Guys I just picked up this 78 Paul Molitor. It's a sharp looking card, but as you can see it has a wax stain on the card. Should I crack it out and try to take off the wax off or let it be? The question is what would you guys do?

• Options
    I heard that rubbing pantyhose (yes, pantyhose) over a wax stain can help remove it.
  • Options
    andy SSSSSSHHHH
    not many besides me know you go out and cross-dress friday nights. For the record...he looks better than Joe Namath did.

On the molitor..yes that works as well as almost any cloth. The wax must be raised up on the surface and NOT into the card.
    This card looks like the stain is into the card and would not come out. nothing I know works in that situation.

You would be left with a card that will get a ST qual. Keep it as is and if it was you that recieved the grade...be super dupity gratefull that the qualifier wasn't given in the first place.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

<< <i>My Baseball HOF Set ranked #69! as of 12/19/09 >>

Thanks for unlocking your set so we all can view it. Best presentation I have seen on the cards. Love the border and color backgrounds you added when scanning in your cards. Care to give us a tutorial on how you did that?

• Options
    Bobby, WOW thats a very nice Molitor outside of the stain. The borders are perfect and corners look razor sharp. I dont think that I would crack it and attempt to rub the stain out of the card, but I am not much of a gambler either. I can't wait to see that card in person.
  • Options
    I agree....that Molitor is very nice. Can't beat the centering. Nice pick up. I have also heard about how pantyhose can take wax off of cards. Never tried it though.
  • Options
    Results of this year's vote will be announced on Wednesday at 2 PM EST. I've been thinking that Blyleven wouldn't be able to make the jump from 62% to 75% in one year, but seeing that Ryno went from 61% to 76% in a year has me wondering if this will finally be Bert's year - which would be great. I think Dawson's a shoo in, and Alomar has an excellent shot too. Larkin, McGriff and Edgar will garner quite a few votes, though I don't think any will get in this year. I'm hoping Lee Smith's votes take a nice step up. He deserves to be in.
  • Options

Here is my latest. From andy's left over scraps.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Jay, that's by far the largest scan you've ever posted. Normally they are postage stamp size. Either you've finally learned how to size your scans, or you used the image I sent you. image
  • Options
    neither.
    I have a new computer and it has a photo gallery and no way to resize.

I used photobucket as my first post had the postage stamp. I can't seem to change the resolution of my scanner. or resize once a pic has been saved.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Jay, WOW That Kaline is a beauty.
  • Options
    Nice Kaline Jay, Do you have any scraps laying around there, like a PSA 7 that needs to be sold now that you've got this PSA 8 to take it place?
  • Options
    thanks

I have an extremely nice psa 6 that is nicely centered.
    They normally go for $300-400 however the last one (not that nice though ) went for 215. I couldn't believe it so I probably won't list it for now.
    If someone is interested let me know
    Willing to trade for something I need.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Does anyone know why the '49 Bowman Robinson, Kell and Doby are allowed as either/or's in this set? The '48 Leaf rookies of each (and yes, let's just call them '49s because that's when they were issued) are much more valuable. This seems inconsistent to me as this set is supposed to include only the best rookie card for each player. Otherwise we could have '83 Donruss Boggs and '82 Fleer Ripkens included as either/or's - which would be awful.