Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Offical Baseball HOF Rookies Thread (Future HOF Rookies too)@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>The price for that Perry 8 was just insane. Insane I tell you! LOL. >>

Wow. I wonder how much jordanfan1023 set as his max bid? He weathered two nuke snipes. Still, paying almost $700 for a card that usually sells for around $400 is pretty crazy. I guess he really, really wanted that card!
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I paid around $225 for this Perry 8, which was on eBay, less than a year ago...

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Nice Perry!

I might spring for one of those if the price was right (less than $350). Untill that time, I'm still enjoying my PSA 7...

• Options

<< <i>I think I paid around $225 for this Perry 8, which was on eBay, less than a year ago...

image >>

I'd certainly pay $400 for that card... Very nice...
  • Options
    I double checked. I actually paid $295. Not sure where I got $225 from.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Got a few new cards lately, one for each set (Future and current HoFers)...

I'm focusing on getting the 60s cards in PSA 7, the 70s guys in PSA 8, and the 80s on in PSA 9 or 10.

I haven't really figured out what I want to do with the 50s and earlier guys though.

• Options
    Here's my new addition. Got it in an eBay store for $295. With the prices 8's have been bringing lately, I was very happy to pay that:

• Options

Very nice looking Bert.... Awesome price to boot.
  • Options
    was deciding on the leaf or the bowman for jackie's rookie. went with the bowman because it looked better to me

• Options
    Well, we're approaching the mid-way point of the season. I don't see any younger players looking like HoF locks yet though.

However, Mike Mussina is 10-5 right now, bringing his career record to 260-149. A .636 win percentage. No one with 250+ wins and a .600+ win percentage is NOT in the hall.
    Here's BaseballReference.com's rankings...
    Black Ink: Pitching - 14 (Average HOFer ¡Ö 40)
    Gray Ink: Pitching - 240 (Average HOFer ¡Ö 185)
    HOF Standards: Pitching - 52.0 (Average HOFer ¡Ö 50)
    HOF Monitor: Pitching - 114.0 (Likely HOFer > 100)

He's a contender in 3 of the 4 rankings.

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's my new addition. Got it in an eBay store for $295. With the prices 8's have been bringing lately, I was very happy to pay that:

image >>

But didn't you buy/sell/buy/sell/buy/sell/buy poor Bert over the course of a couple of weeks... At least you didn't lose anything and ended up with the better of the ones that have been available lately.

• Options
    I think PSA's decision to remove the '86 Sportflics Larkin from the Future HOF rookies set - without even polling the set members - is laughable. And here I thought the sets were supposed to be for the people who collect them...
  • Options
    Shouldn't Pete Rose be part of the "future HoF" set?

• Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Shouldn't Pete Rose be part of the "future HoF" set? >>

I would definitely vote YES!
  • Options
    I'd say no...unless you want to put Joe Jackson in too.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd say no...unless you want to put Joe Jackson in too. >>

I thought the same thing but I don't quite see their situations as exactly the same. For one, Rose holds an all time record that should last for a long time (I don't want to say that it will never be broken). Secondly, since Rose's sins were off the field and after his playing days, I think he eventually does get in. I don't think Jackson will ever get in.
  • Options

<< <i>I thought the same thing but I don't quite see their situations as exactly the same. For one, Rose holds an all time record that should last for a long time (I don't want to say that it will never be broken). Secondly, since Rose's sins were off the field and after his playing days, I think he eventually does get in. I don't think Jackson will ever get in. >>

Rose's sins may have come after his playing days (as far as we know), but they did not come off the field. He bet on his own team when he was managing the Reds. If he ever gets reinstated to baseball, then of course he can be added to the set, but for as long as he's ineligible for Cooperstown it's a moot point.
  • Options

<< <i>Rose's sins may have come after his playing days (as far as we know), but they did not come off the field. He bet on his own team when he was managing the Reds. If he ever gets reinstated to baseball, then of course he can be added to the set, but for as long as he's ineligible for Cooperstown it's a moot point. >>

Considering that the Future set currently includes Mitchell Report guys, one of which will NEVER see the Hall (Tejada), Rose fits in just nicely.

I'd nominate Rose to be voted on by the folks collecting the Future set when that time of year comes around.

<< <i>I think PSA's decision to remove the '86 Sportflics Larkin from the Future HOF rookies set - without even polling the set members - is laughable >>

I hate Sportflics in PSA slabs. The card ends up getting the surface near the edges crushed when it's encapsulated. I voted for the 1987 Fleer.

• Options

<< <i>I hate Sportflics in PSA slabs. The card ends up getting the surface near the edges crushed when it's encapsulated. I voted for the 1987 Fleer. >>

How a card looks in a slab should have zero impact on what is used in a given set. The fact of the matter is that Sportflics are a nationwide issue, and they had the ONLY Larkin issue in '86. Thus it's pretty clear cut to me that that's his true rookie. And the Update vs. regular set argument (which I hate by the way) should also have no bearing here as there are plenty of Update cards in the set.

As for Tejada, the set was submitted to PSA before the Mitchell report came out.
  • Options

<< <i>How a card looks in a slab should have zero impact on what is used in a given set. >>

The point is that the card is DAMAGED by the slab. Are we collecting cards, or are we collecting PSA labels?

• Options
    I've never seen that happen Rich. I will take your word though that it does.

As for players who might be voted on to be added to the set, based on their performance this year, I'd say Mussina and Berkman stand out the most. Maybe Berk needs one more studly year. Helton's poor performance and subsequent back injury have more or less eliminated him as a serious candidate IMO. I know a lot of people like Edgar Martinez. I'm on the fence towards no, based on Harold Baines' complete lack of love from the voters, but Edgar should probably at least be voted on. There are so many players who can be added in the next few years if they keep up the pace, including:

Utley
    Webb
    K Rod
    Hanley
    C. Lee
    Halladay
    Rollins

What's everyone's opinion on Adam Dunn? Does a consistent .260-40-100 make a player Hall worthy? I think if Dunn finishes around 600 HR he'll have to make it in. But he still has a ways to go.
  • Options

<< <i>What's everyone's opinion on Adam Dunn? Does a consistent .260-40-100 make a player Hall worthy? >>

If Dunn's avg was a consistant .260, then maybe, but his career avg is .247, and he's only topped .250 3 times in his 8 career seasons. He's batting .234 this season.

• Options

<< <i>Rose's sins may have come after his playing days (as far as we know), but they did not come off the field. He bet on his own team when he was managing the Reds. If he ever gets reinstated to baseball, then of course he can be added to the set, but for as long as he's ineligible for Cooperstown it's a moot point. >>

True, he did bet on his team but at least he didn't throw any games like Jackson. That distinction still makes it possible that he makes the hall someday IMHO. I don't really have a lot of passion for adding him to the registry at this point, especially since I don't have that card yet anyways - LOL! If someone requests it, I would vote yes though.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What's everyone's opinion on Adam Dunn? Does a consistent .260-40-100 make a player Hall worthy? >>

If Dunn's avg was a consistant .260, then maybe, but his career avg is .247, and he's only topped .250 3 times in his 8 career seasons. He's batting .234 this season. >>

I can't see Dunn getting in unless he sticks around long enough to compile enough HRs that he can't be ignored. He's only at 270 right now so he's got a long way to go. Right now, he just reminds me of Dave Kingman.

Of the other guys Shag mentioned, I think Mussina is the closest to being worthy of being added. If he can stick around a few more years, he can get to 300 wins.

Re: Edgar Martinez - I have always been a Giants fan so I am not a big fan of the DH. My position is that unless a primarily DH guy just absolutely dominated for a long time and compiled clear HOF worthy career #'s, I would vote no. Edgar's career numbers just don't do it for me but I have to admit that did not see him play as much as the NL guys.
  • Options

<< <i>Re: Edgar Martinez - I have always been a Giants fan so I am not a big fan of the DH. My position is that unless a primarily DH guy just absolutely dominated for a long time and compiled clear HOF worthy career #'s, I would vote no. Edgar's career numbers just don't do it for me but I have to admit that did not see him play as much as the NL guys. >>

Agreed.

The only current HoFers who started 500+ games as a DH are as follows:

Paul Molitor = 3000+ hits
    Reggie Jackson = 500+ HRs
    George Brett = 3000+ hits

Molitor, Jackson, and Brett spent less than 1/2 of their career as DH's.

Edgar Martinez spent almost 70% of his career as a DH. He also falls critically short of the major milestones:

2247 hits
    309 hrs

However, who knows? Relief pitchers are starting to get some love from the Baseball Writers. So far, there hasn't been a solid career DH who's been up for writers to vote on.

• Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Dunn also has a .375 OBP and a .905 OPS along with career .380/.900 numbers. His 270 Homers are at age 28, a far, far cry from Dave Kingman. He has a far better hof shot than many give him credit for imho.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Dunn also has a .375 OBP and a .905 OPS along with career .380/.900 numbers. His 270 Homers are at age 28, a far, far cry from Dave Kingman. He has a far better hof shot than many give him credit for imho. >>

Regardless of how good his OBP and OPS looks, I don't know if the voters will be able to ignore his subpar BA. His RBI output isn't that great either (96 per 162 games) which is surely a product of the poor avg.

I really think his shot will come down to how long can he stay healthy and productive. If he barely clears 500 HR but still has a sub .250 average, I think he will have a hard time getting in. If he plays long enough to get to 600, like shag says, he will be hard to ignore.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    rich I must mildly dissagree with you on edgar martinez......on "critically short of milestones."
    Edgar had a carear batting avg of .312 which is 90th all time. He did that with 309 hrs (not bad but nothing to write yourself into the hall-but it is 106th all time) and 1261 RBI's (only 112th all time). He had a .418 OBP (3 time AL leader) which is 22nd all time. He hit a ton of doubles 39th all time and this contribued to his .516 slugging % which is 66th all time. He was a 2 time batting champion, multiple silver slugger award winner

One could arguably say Edgar is one of the top 100 hitters of all time....but He has nothing else to show. As long as the DH position is thought of as the slugger who isn't good enough to be in thge field he wll have trouble getting into the hall. The game is changing and the DH is getting more respect. Either way I consider edgar a good candidate (not strong) for the HOF.

Now Larry Walker is the guy overlooked in the thread, he should be a HOF'er but many don't think so.

Adam Dunn will easily have to hit 600+ hrs

As a yankee fan I am glad Mussina has resurected his carear....but with his don Sutton stats...he will have to get very close or even 300+ wins. He is still in good enough shape and young enough for a few more good years.

I have always liked Lance Berkman...quietly he has become a hitting machine.

Of the guys andy has mentioned...the newer potential hofers playing now....what are thier bet cards that might be considered for the future hof registry??

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    I only know a few of em Jay:

Utley - ???
    Webb - 2000 SP?
    K Rod - 2000 Bowman's Best
    Hanley - ???
    C. Lee - 1998 Leaf R&S?
    Halladay - 1997 Bowman Chrome
    Rollins - 1998 Bowman Chrome

Also, one player who I thought could have taken a great stride toward the HOF this year, but went the other way instead, is Oswalt.
  • Options
    Utley - 2001 Bowman Draft
    Webb - 2003 Bowman Chrome or SP Authentic
    K Rod - 2000 Bowman's Best
    Hanley - 2003 Bowman? (used in the Rookie of the Year registry)
    C. Lee - 1998 Leaf R&S
    Halladay - 1997 Bowman Chrome
    Rollins - 1998 Bowman Chrome

• Options
    A couple of additions to my Post-War HoF Rookie set...

imageimage

The Gibson's one of those great "Wild Card" type cards for my Award Winner sets, as he's an MVP, a Cy Young Award winner, and a World Series MVP!

• Options
    Very nice. That Gwynn is smokin!
  • Options
    A new addition to my HoF set (and my Cy Young Award set, and my Rookie of the Year set..)
    Bill Denehy! image

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    That will look great next to your Bill Sorrell image
  • Options
    Earlier in this thread I mentioned that, IMO, Berkman and Mussina moved themselves in position to be added to the set next year. I completely forgot about Delgado. I wouldn't call him a HOF'er just yet, but he's now a lock for 500 HR and could finish between 500 and 550. He doesn't get my vote for the HOF just yet, but I would add him to this set.
  • Options

<< <i>Earlier in this thread I mentioned that, IMO, Berkman and Mussina moved themselves in position to be added to the set next year. I completely forgot about Delgado. I wouldn't call him a HOF'er just yet, but he's now a lock for 500 HR and could finish between 500 and 550. He doesn't get my vote for the HOF just yet, but I would add him to this set. >>

Agreed.

So, Delgado's RC is obviously his 1992 Bowman card. Berkman's is his 1997 Bowman Chrome.

How about Mussina? Would it be his 1991 Ultra Update, or his 1991 Bowman?

• Options
    I'd definitely say '91 Ultra Update for Mussina.
  • Options
    I've always liked the 1991 Ultra Update set. image

• Options
    Another guy who's putting up some potential HOF numbers completely under the radar is Aramis Ramirez. Now that he seems to be past the injury bug, he's money in the bank for somewhere around .280-30-110. He's a career .283 hitter and has six 100 RBI seasons and seven years of 20+ HR to his credit. Considering the position too, if he keeps this up, he will end up in Cooperstown.
  • Options
    A new addition to my Hall of Fame collection...

• Options
    Beautiful Yaz. Looks razor. Congrats!

Since we're posting new additions...

• Options

<< <i>Beautiful Yaz. Looks razor. Congrats! >>

It's a great looking card and has 8-9ish corners. The original auction photo didn't show the print dots, so I was kinda ticked off when I first pulled it from the bubble mailer today, but after inspecting it further, the overall physical condition of the card more than compensated for the printing flaws (at least for me).

Nice Aparicio. I picked up a 7 recently. The t/b centering on mine is what makes it a 7 though. Yours is very nicely centered.

• Options
    If anyone's looking to fill some holes on the future HOF rookies set, this guy just listed a bunch:

Baseball Rookies
  • Options
    here is my Dave Winfield HOF atographed rookie card. I will show off the rest of my HOF rookie autographed cards soon.

• Options
    what is the overall feeling on sheffield? If he stays on for another year, he'll reach 500. .290, .390, .516. Good enough to get him to the hall? Ties to steroids, overall bad attitude, numbers not as strong in light of the era he's played in, numerous injuries take him out of consideration?
  • Options
    I think Sheffield needs to have a couple more productive years to make the HOF. If he can somehow get up around 500 HR, he might have a chance. Like you said though, he (deservedly so) has a lot going against him. I wouldn't mind if he didn't make it. Only time will tell though.
  • Options
    I've got a couple new HoF rookie cards to show off...

imageimage

• Options
    A new addition to my future HoF rookie set...

• Options
    Very nice additions Rich.
  • Options
    nice jackson. i have that card raw...likely to grade an EX. might try to upgrade once i get some more disposable cash.