Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Offical Baseball HOF Rookies Thread (Future HOF Rookies too)@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comments

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Another new addition... and now the oldest card in my collection:

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweet. I'm holding out for a nicely centered Wynn 8. That would make it the second oldest card in my collection.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

<< <i>That would make it the second oldest card in my collection. >>

What's your oldest?

'26 Spalding Ruth.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    I wouldn't think of dropping $200+ for a PSA 8 Blyleven rookie, so I was aiming for a nice looking 7. With the card in-hand, I think it compares very well with the 1971 PSA 8s that I have. A crack-resub might be in this card's future...

• fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Lot of nice recent pickups there Rich.

<< <i>Lot of nice recent pickups there Rich. >>

It's what happens when I'm sitting around waiting for a nice Mays rookie to show up. Bleeding hobby money. image

• mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭

<< <i>Utley - 2001 Bowman Draft
    Webb - 2003 Bowman Chrome or SP Authentic
    K Rod - 2000 Bowman's Best
    Hanley - 2003 Bowman? (used in the Rookie of the Year registry)
    C. Lee - 1998 Leaf R&S
    Halladay - 1997 Bowman Chrome
    Rollins - 1998 Bowman Chrome >>

I noticed your listing Rich and thought I would add pictures

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

How much did that Webb 10 run you if you don't mind me asking?

<< <i>How much did that Webb 10 run you if you don't mind me asking? >>

I picked it up raw on Ebay for $7.

Nice Cliff Lee, but on the list I did, I was thinking Carlos Lee.

Cliff's 2002 SP Authentic is probably the one I'd go after.

I agree with you on the Cliff Lee SP being his best rookie.

What do you all think about adding Roy Oswalt to the set?

Though he had a horrible 1st half of the seasons (7-8, 4.56 era, 1.44 WHIP), something changed and he had an awesome 2nd half that brought his season back up (10-2, 2.24 era, 0.97 WHIP).

Pretty solid career numbers for a 30 year old:

8 seasons
    129 wins, 64 lossesE
    3.13 ERA
    1.2 WHIP
    1335 strikeouts
    370 walks

I think Oswalt is an interesting candidate, but I'd like to see 1 or 2 more good years out of him before calling him a future Hall of Famer. His second half this year was amazing though.
    Ok, MONSTER addition to my collection, the rookie card of the greatest Giant ever, and one of the greatest (if not THE Greatest) of all time....

Rich

Nice Mays, great addition. I would hold out on Oswalt a bit longer as well.

January's just around the corner, so lets see if we can hammer out a solid ballot to vote on for new additions to the Future HoF rookie registry set.

Doing a quick glance down the thread, here's a list of names that have been mentioned that might make a decent ballot:

Lance Berkman
    Carlos Delgado
    Mike Mussina
    Aramis Ramirez
    Pete Rose

What do you all think? Should we add more? Remove some?

I agree with all of those except for Rose. There are no others I would vote to add to the set at this time.
    Are you saying that you wouldn't vote for Rose, or that you don't want him on the ballot for voting?

I have no problem loading up a ballot with names, but I'm not necessarly going to vote Yes on all of them.

• A question in case anyone knows. Since Rose got a lifetime ban, does that mean his ban is lifted after he dies? Or would it need to officially be lifted after his death?
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
    I think "lifetime ban" actually means "until-further-notice" ban. Joe Jackson's dead, but there is still a ban on him getting into the hall.

<< <i>Are you saying that you wouldn't vote for Rose, or that you don't want him on the ballot for voting?

I have no problem loading up a ballot with names, but I'm not necessarly going to vote Yes on all of them. >>

If I were putting a ballot together I wouldn't include Rose on it since he is ineligible for the HOF. Tough to call someone a future HOF'er when they're not eligible for it. As I mentioned in a previous post, if you're going to put Rose in the set you might as well put Joe Jackson in it too. I also think the set should be for players who could make the HOF, not those that should. All just MHO of course...

<< <i>January's just around the corner, so lets see if we can hammer out a solid ballot to vote on for new additions to the Future HoF rookie registry set.

Doing a quick glance down the thread, here's a list of names that have been mentioned that might make a decent ballot:

Lance Berkman
    Carlos Delgado
    Mike Mussina
    Aramis Ramirez
    Pete Rose

What do you all think? Should we add more? Remove some? >>

I think Berkman, Delgado and Mussina make sense. Ramirez seems premature. He is just short of 250 homers, a .280 lifetime hitter. He is similar to Magglio Ordonez who has one more season played but has 200 more RBIs and a career .310 hitter with a #2 in MVP vote last year. Best vote for Ramirez has been 10th in MVP ballot. I think it is too early for Ramirez.

This year’s HOF Veteran’s Committee vote will be announced on Dec. 8th. It’s been several years since a player was inducted by the VC, which has been gun shy ever since the Mazeroski fiasco, but the committee was re-vamped after the last vote. Since it was re-vamped, it’ll be interesting to see how the results unfold. I’d be shocked if Santo didn’t finally get in (apparently so would Dmitri Young, since he’s been paying silly prices for PSA 9 Santo rookies). I’m leaning towards a second player going in, but I don’t know who that might be. I’m very much not a fan of Kaat for the HOF. Hodges, Oliva and Torre are all decent candidates to me. To the voters, who knows? Here’s the results from the last vote. How predictive (or not) this are for this time around remains to be seen:

Ron Santo 69.5%
    Jim Kaat 63.4%
    Gil Hodges 61.0%
    Tony Oliva 57.3%
    Maury Wills 40.2%
    Joe Torre 31.7%
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope santo gets in. He was a decent hitter and fielder. Overall probably better than Brooks Robinson. His stats are IMO good enough for the time he played. Oliva is underated and was one of the best hitter of his time. Hodges is my 2nd choice. Include his managerial carear as well. Maury wills was a base stealer and nothing else. He should get no chance IMO. Torre was very good...but just short as a player.
    He will make it when you consider his managerial wins abd yankees championships.
    I just hope somebody makes it!!!!!!

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
    They'll have egg all over their faces if no one gets in after they went through the trouble of re-vamping the VC...so I will go on record as GUARANTEEING at least Santo gets in.
    A new addition to my HoF rookie set: The Ryan Express.

I think Jerry Koosman might be one of the best “other guys” on a multi-rookie card featuring a Hall of Famer. Koosman finished his career with 222 wins, 33 shutouts, 2556 strikeouts, and a career 3.36 era, as well as a 20 and 21 win season tossed in.

Looks like a very nice 7. Congrats on the pickup Rich. You certainly have been on some buying spree lately! Now you'll have to add a Pedroia rookie, if you don't have one already.

<< <i>Looks like a very nice 7. Congrats on the pickup Rich. You certainly have been on some buying spree lately! >>

Buying spree? I guess so. Sales have been great lately. I avoid spending my own money on stuff, and try to spend only what I get from selling off cards. I like to look at it this way: I'm trading some cards out to get new cards in, and using money as the middle step.

<< <i>Now you'll have to add a Pedroia rookie, if you don't have one already. >>

Already got one.

The 2004 SP Prospects card is probably his most valuable, but I can't get over the fact that it came out 2 years AFTER this one did.

I agree with the 2002 SP Authentic as his best rookie. It's like McGwire's '85 Topps USA rookie.
    It sounds like Mussina is retiring. If that is the case, I think he will fall short of the HOF. What do you guys think?
    270 wins combined with a .638 win percentage sounds pretty HOF worthy to me.

<< <i>It sounds like Mussina is retiring. If that is the case, I think he will fall short of the HOF. What do you guys think? >>

While I have always liked Moose, I think he falls short as well. He has the wins but I think the voters will focus on a few isssues such as never winning a Cy Young and never won a WS. If it wasn't for this year, he wouldn't have ever gotten 20 wins either. I would have liked for him to give it a couple more years to try to get to 300.
    Rich - nice Ryan RC BTW!
    Rescuing this thread from page 2... and showing off a few new additions to my HoF RC collection...

imageimage

• << <i>It sounds like Mussina is retiring. If that is the case, I think he will fall short of the HOF. What do you guys think? >>

probably not first ballot, especially if guys like martinez, johnson, smoltz, glavine, maddux, schilling and hoffman are up for election. but, i do think he will eventually get in.
    Well, the pre 1943 committee voted Joe Gordon into the Hall of Fame... but the post 1942 committee elected NO ONE.

Post 1942 results: (48 votes needed for election)
    Ron Santo: 39 votes, 60.9%
    Jim Kaat: 38, 59.4%
    Tony Oliva: 33, 51.6%
    Gil Hodges: 28, 43.8%
    Joe Torre: 19, 29.7%
    Maury Wills: 15, 23.4%
    Luis Tiant: 13, 20.3%
    Vada Pinson: 12, 18.8%
    Al Oliver: 9, 14.1%
    Dick Allen: 7, 10.9%

Pre 1943 results: (9 votes needed for election)
    Joe Gordon: 10 votes
    Allie Reynolds: 8
    Wes Ferrell: 6
    Mickey Vernon: 5
    Deacon White: 5
    Bucky Walters: 4
    Sherry Magee: 3
    Bill Dahlen: < 3
    Carl Mays: < 3
    Vern Stephens: < 3

I agree with the Gordon selection (Yah!), am absolutely frightened by how close Allie Reynolds came, and pissed that Santo got robbed yet again. I give up on the post '42 VC. Please disband them ASAP!

<< <i>I give up on the post '42 VC. Please disband them ASAP! >>

The post 1942 VC is composed of the living HoF players. I guess they've pretty much slammed the door shut on these guys.

Should I submit the following players for inclusion in the set?:

Lance Berkman - 1997 Bowman Chrome # 298
    Carlos Delgado - 1992 Bowman # 127
    Mike Mussina - 1991 Ultra Update # U-4

These additions take a long time, so the sooner they're in, the sooner they'll be added.

<< <i>Should I submit the following players for inclusion in the set? >>

I like all 3.

Now, about the VC guys... how long until they come off the Future Hall of Fame list? Hodges, Kaat, and Santo have had the door slammed in their face by the VC every time, and this year, their support percentage fell. Hodges actually fell below 50% this year.

<< <i>Now, about the VC guys... how long until they come off the Future Hall of Fame list? Hodges, Kaat, and Santo have had the door slammed in their face by the VC every time, and this year, their support percentage fell. Hodges actually fell below 50% this year. >>

I think we should at least give it one more vote. It sucks that it's only every other year.
  • mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Amazing 57s!
    A few HoFers to finish off my run of HoFer rookies from 1956 to present:

And a new addition to my future HoFer set:

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice Drysdale. Terrific register, vibrant color and clean surface.
    A new addition to my Future HoF rookie set (and my MVP set)...

A new addition to the Future HoF set.. though I question his qualifications as a "Future HoFer".

Congrats to the new HoFers!

imageimage

No surprises today. Next year will be interesting. I could see Alomar going in first ballot. Looks like Dawson will finally get his due. Blyleven will probably come very close. Larkin, Edgar and McGriff should get some nice support too.
    Gayle sent out the ballot for voting in new members of the Future HoF Rookies set.

1. LANCE BERKMAN – 1997 BOWMAN CHROME #298
    2. CARLOS DELGADO – 1992 BOWMAN #127
    3. MIKE MUSSINA – 1991 ULTRA UPDATE #4
    4. PETE ROSE 1963 TOPPS #537

Berkman, Delgado, and Mussina seemed to have no opposition when discussed, and Rose seemed to spark some debate. It'd be interesting to see what the majority thinks about the Rose issue.