Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Offical Baseball HOF Rookies Thread (Future HOF Rookies too)@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comments

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Nice Wilhelm Andy, You did very well.

Thanks Bobby for selling me the Kiner card for my HOF set.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭
    Andy
    You dirty rat..ya did it again.
    That 52 Hoyt is a killer. 6 is actually a very good grade for that card and I would expect cost a few bucks.
    Now get going on the Mathews
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • paleocardspaleocards Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you made a good move, Bobby -- for both you and Matt. To be honest, I wish there were no HOFer RCs from '48 Bowman; the B&W pix put me to sleep. They look like they're faded newspaper photos in a slab. Now that '52 Wilhelm...Wow!
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received this card today. I'm now down to 4 cards from 72 thru 84. 73-Schmidt, 76-Eckersley, 77-Dawson and 84-Puckett.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Bobby, nice corners on the Fisk. Is it just me or does he look a little bit like Pudge Rodriguez in that picture -- a young IR that is.

Andy, although I think the '52 Topps set is one of the best looking out there I actually like the '48 Bowman. Something about a vintage set in B&W -- the pictures aren't spectacular but just good representations of the players. I prefer them to the '48 Leaf -- I really don't like the "colorization" look. No accounting for taste my wife says -- not sure if she's poking fun at herself for getting stuck with me though>>>
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
    Bobby, That is a very nice Fisk. From the scan, that card looks like it might bump?

<< <i>Last night I pulled the trigger on the biggest card I've ever bought. I should have it by early next week (it shipped today). I'll scan it then show it off here first. >>

Andy, Where is that card you purchased? Anticipation is killing me.
    It finally arrived yesterday. I basically used all of the proceeds of my recently concluded eBay auctions of 47 collector-grade baseball HOFers for this one card. I netted $1391.98 for the cards I sold and this baby cost me $1395 (although I did get ~$200 cash back from Bing, etc.) I'm thrilled with it...

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a terrific Seaver rookie. You could put that side by side next to my 9 and not be able to tell which was which. Congrats!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    Now I had planned to add a Banks 6 or 7 one day, but then this 2 came along and I just couldn't pass it up:

To answer your question, why in the heck is this card only a 2???, it's because there's a tiny crease at the left border toward the bottom. Still should have graded higher IMO.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Andy, how is that a 2???
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • Both the Seaver and Banks cards are fabulous guys. Well Done!
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭
    yes matt I have met ernie banks 2x...he is a fabulous guy. 30 years apart...ges that means I'm pretty old.
    it is a screamong 2. I have a raw banks about that quality.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
    WOW, both of those cards ( Seaver and Banks) are stunning. How is that Banks a 2?

<< <i>How is that Banks a 2? >>

I put a little disclaimer below the Banks scan to explain why, since it's a real head scratcher.
    This thread should never be on the 2nd page.
    Here is my latest pick up. I got this is the mail today.

• Very Nice Looking Mazeroski! Congrats!
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    After not adding to this set for over a year, I've finally returned to it. Of course, I'm starting with one of the 2 Giants I didn't have yet...

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Still should have graded higher IMO. >>

That card should be a 4 or 4.5

Really sweet mid grade example of one of my favorite postwar cards.

That's also a sweet Irvin that Rich has. He was a fine player. Had a stellar World Series in 1951.
  • Rich, Nice pickup, I had my eye on that Irvin myself!
    My latest -- I've been looking for a centered one for a while...(finally over 50% complete)

Andy, Nice pickup!! The Aparicio is centered nicely. Congrats on being over 50%
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, There has been some great additions to all of your sets.
    Bobby, Congrats on the Maz. I know you were looking for one of those.
    That Aparicio is off the charts too!

I have taken a little break to sell some unwanted raw cards so I could fatten up my Paypal account towards this set.
    I made a small addition to the set with the Puckett which I will scan once I get it in.
    Now, time to start chipping away at the 1960s HOFers.
    Will I get run out of town if I opt for a few of the 1949 Bowman "rookies" instead of the 1948(9) Leafs? image

<< <i>Will I get run out of town if I opt for a few of the 1949 Bowman "rookies" instead of the 1948(9) Leafs? >>

That's the easy way out...but no image And since I'm looking for a few Leafs, that'll mean less competition. So go for it!

<< <i>That's the easy way out... >>

I wish there was an easy way out for the 52 Mathews! Yikes!

<< <i>I wish there was an easy way out for the 52 Mathews! Yikes! >>

I'm right there with ya on that one. Mathews and Mantle (the last two I need from 1949+) will likely be no better than PSA 1's for me, and DEFINITELY the Leaf Paige. That card is freakin impossible.
    Nice Aparicio and Puckett guys. Keep em coming
    Bob, Pretty Puckett. I'm still looking for one. Congrats on completing 1972-1984
    Here are my latest addition. Thanks Jay for selling me the Eck. I'm down to two (Schmidt and Puckett) Looking to buy the Schmidt at the end of March.

imageimage
    Thanks Bobby. There were just 2 nice PSA 9 Pucketts on ebay.(auctions, not BINs) I thought maybe you picked up the other one.
    Congrats on the Eck and Hawk. Both are very nice! Cant wait to see the Schmidt!
  • Nice Eckesley and Dawson! Cant wait to see both of you guys talk the 60's cards. Have fun with it.
  • Absolutely fantastic stuff on display in this thread! Matt, I'm amazed at the progress you're making - congrats.
    Keith
    Picked this up at a local card show in Charlotte today. Card is spectacular in hand.

Matt, That is an incredible Aaron! The centering is outstanding. Congrats on knocking out one of the biggies of the set! image
    once again Nice pick up Matt!!!
    Beautiful Matt, congrats on getting one of the true icons of the hobby.
    that's a sweet Aaron. I'm in the hunt for a PSA 6 one as well. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back?

<< <i>If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back >>

PM sent
    Rich, I had my eye on the PSA 6 Aaron below for a while, but some other cards came up and I stayed put with my 5. I'm not sure if it's still available, but you may want to check with the seller:

Aaron 6

<< <i>Rich, I had my eye on the PSA 6 Aaron below for a while, but some other cards came up and I stayed put with my 5. I'm not sure if it's still available, but you may want to check with the seller: >>

Thanks for the lead. I contacted him, but he sold it already.

My latest (and last big purchase for a while...it was fun while it [=$$] lasted!)

Andy, Sweet Carew! I'll echo what Bob said about the borders. Congrats.
    Andy, That is a superb Carew. Very tough to find centered, You did well on that card. Congrats!

Bought this yesterday from board member jeff8877. This is one of my faorite multi-player rookie cards. I like the way the 64s placed the player photos on the top and bottom instead of the usual side by side.

Nice pickup, Your making steady progress. If your able to make it to the National and have some cash to spend, your going to have a Fiesta! image
    400!