Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Offical Baseball HOF Rookies Thread (Future HOF Rookies too)@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comments

• Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my code?
    It works on a practice site.

thanks,

bill h.
  • paleocardspaleocards Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭
    The code should look like this: (but add an opening "[" to the beginning of the string and a closing "]" to the end of the string)

IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a379/paleocards/kiner_48f_PSA_registry.jpg[/IMG

Beautiful Aaron RC, by the way...
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my code? It works on a practice site. >>

Your code is HTML. That doesn't work on the site. When you're composing a post, click on the little image button (4th button from the left) directly above the editor window. That'll open up a pop-up that will allow you to past you URL, and it'll format the image reference properly.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Finally, here is the Cochrane
    Sorry for the learning curve, fellows.

bill h.
    Ta-DAA! Nice looking Cochrane!
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Whats the rules you guys have for a so called "rookie" card? Is there a website with the list that you guys are using?

I dont agree with the choices in most cases, but am interested in why and who made these rules that a card issued many years after the players rookie season can be called a "rookie". Is it because the true rookie is too rare??? ie the 1936 V355 Joe DiMaggio (so many collect the 1937 R314-4)

I see some cards pictured that were made nearly 10 years after the player broke into the Majors.... with up to a dozen cards older.

ie. Cochranes rookie is a 1926 card, either the PC back Exhibit or the Spalding/Sport Co. of America cards, yet I see you have a 1934 R320 from 8 years later called his "rookie" ??? There are close to a dozen cards made of Mickey before that R320 was ever printed. Heck, Cochrane retired less than 3 years after that 1934 R320 was made, how in the heck can you ever call it a rookie???

Here is the best list Ive seen
    OLD CARDBOARD Hall of Fame Rookie cards
    Are there any other lists?? very curious.

I only went through a few pages on this thread but I dont agree with a single pre1951 rookie card noted..... ie.Berra, Spahn, Jackie Robinson, Kiner, Hodges, Musial, etc that all have multiple bread cards that predate any gum card made by Bowman or Leaf.

<< <i>I only went through a few pages on this thread but I dont agree with a single pre1951 rookie card noted..... ie.Berra, Spahn, Jackie Robinson, Kiner, Hodges, Musial, etc that all have multiple bread cards that predate any gum card made by Bowman or Leaf. >>

You missed my 1957 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson. image

PSA will ONLY listen to what Beckett tells them a "rookie card", so if someone's locked into "collecting the registry set," they have to play by PSA's rules.

I love the Old Cardboard RC listing, but even then, it's just a guide. The collector needs to decide what a "card" is to them, and whether that definition includes exhibits, team issued photographs, newspaper cutouts, magazine pages, or even pins.

• fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Ya that 1947 D305 J.Roby (round corner) is looking tougher by the day.... They are drying up, same with the Old Gold cards too. I should keep my mouth shut image

I was thinking it might be Beckett, haha they have no business in writing about PreWar cards, their info is incorrect and misleading.

I remember a few years ago one of those modern price guides (I believe it was Beckett), that called almost every 1933 R319 card the players "rookie" card.... Like the 4 Babe Ruths and 2 Gehrigs found in the set.

PreWar collectors had a good laugh on that book, but I still see some eBay listing call R319s rookies.

So I guess Dr. Beckett thinks this card below isnt a baseball card?... while Jefferson Burdick who wrote the American Card Catalog (ACC) back in the late 1930's and gave it the name "W517" though it was a baseball card.
    If its not recognized as a baseball card, then why would PSA grade a W517 or any other early card not said to be a "Beckett Rookie"

1931 W517

IMO there are "True Rookie cards" and then there are "Beckett Rookie cards" and they are seldom the same.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    fkw - the main problem with that list is that many collectors don't consider minor league cards to ever be rookie cards. Some also broaden that exclusion to foreign cards.

It's not a major part of the list, but there's also the "what is a card" question - see Walter O'Malley for the most prominent example.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Let's invigorate this thread again. Just picked up the Post War HOFers set again. Going to do this a little different on my second go around. I will be including AUTO'd RC's from many of the HOFers. Currently I have: Schmidt, Frank Robinson, Perry, Perez, Marichal, Ozzie Smith done in EX-NM/MT condition. I will be adding Yount, Carew, Molitor, Bench, Reggie Jackson and Brooks Robinson at the National. When I get back from the National, those will all make the trip to Newport Beach for some slab work then added to my set. Hopefully some of the guys guys building this set will check in and show off their additions.
    A couple pickups from the National to kick my second go around with set off.

• Matt, those are both CLEAN!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
    Finally, some new additions (from the National, thanks to Matt Miller for pointing me towards the McCovey).

• i had a good time last week for sure image

I still can't get over how much stuff you picked up at the Naitonal. Thats an insane haul.

Here is the latest addition to my Post War Set.

• Wow you really did do some serious buying at the National... Congratulations!!! I need to get a 51 Mantle in my PC soon.

Great stuff!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Matt,

Congratulations on the Jackson and Seaver rookies! Those two cards are absolutely amazing. image
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
    Recent Addition to my Post War HOFers set. I am waiting on a really nice Yount Auto'd to pop at PSA, but when this became available, I had to add it to my collection. This is really a high end PSA 9. I am not sure why its not a 10 to be honest.

• << <i>Recent Addition to my Post War HOFers set. I am waiting on a really nice Yount Auto'd to pop at PSA, but when this became available, I had to add it to my collection. This is really a high end PSA 9. I am not sure why its not a 10 to be honest.

image >>

that is a CLEAN Nine for sure!
    That Yount is a beauty, Matt, congrats! Great to have you back in the rookie registry!
    Recent addition on the Post War HOF set. This was a tough card to part with the first time I sold this set off. Glad to have a Schmidt RC back in my collection. As an aside, I have recently gone into my registry set and added addtional scans of many of the Post WAR HOFer's that I have, that are autographed. Let me know if you like the format, and the idea of adding the Auto'd Rookies to this set as well.

• << <i>Recent addition on the Post War HOF set. This was a tough card to part with the first time I sold this set off. Glad to have a Schmidt RC back in my collection. As an aside, I have recently gone in added addtional scans of many of the Post WAR HOFer's that I have, that are autographed. Let me know if you like the format, and the idea of adding the Auto'd Rookies to this set as well.

image >>

that Schmidt is CLEAN!!!
  • Newest Addition to the Post War HOF Set.

Amazing, you just don't see Carew RCs that well-centered! Congrats, Matt!
    This is the 2nd 1947 Bond Bread card that I've added to my collection: Stan Musial.

It pre-dates the mainstream issues like 1948 Bowman and 1949 Leaf.

My latest (got it in a trade detailed in the main forum):

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice Palmer. I've actually been thinking about downgrading from my 9 to an 8.5.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    A couple additions to my Post War HOFers RC set. Fitting that both of these arrived on the same day.

imageimage
  • damn that Molitor is CLEAN!
  • i added this one this month:

Eric, That Marichal is screaming to be signed. He is signing next month, I am looking for one just like that. Nice pickup.

My HoFer set has taken a back seat to my SF Giants rookie card pursuit this year. However, I can add to my HoFer set w/o buying anything. image

So, with 12 votes needed for induction, Kaat got 10, Hodges got 9, and Minnie Minoso got 9.

Kaat and Hodges have been kicked around on the Veterans ballot for years, but I didn't realize Minoso was on anyone's radar.

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm with ya Rich. Minoso getting so close was a big surprise. I don't think he'll get in next time (and God I hope Kaat somehow doesn't either!), which means he's at least 6 years away from possible induction with this committee only voting every 3 years. I have no problem with Hodges and Oliva eventually getting the nod.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice Santo. And finally he's in. A year too late.

Minoso...I thought that when they went thru the negroe leagues extensively and serously looked at 12 candidates
    that Minnie was done and over with.

Oliva should be in. Period. 3 batting titles, a 2nd and 3 3rd's with an avg of .304
    Not many hits or RBI's but decent power and extra base hits. 8X all star.

I was really surprised Hodges didn't go in also.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Thank You To Steve Heart for having the stones to run true auctions in todays day and age.

i was lucky enough to land this tonight ...

Very happy to land a nicely centered one (for a lot less then i thought it would cost me image

this brings my "need list" for my Post WWII HOF RC Set down to 10
  • Beautiful Santo RC! Great card.
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • New Addition to the Post War HOFers set. Never owned this card. Very happy with this one.

• LOVE that Campy!

So, are you going to let me stay in the Top 20? image
    Matt
    nice cards
    stop showing us off...or ya will have to change ur name to fogel.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

• << <i>So, are you going to let me stay in the Top 20? >>

No chance in my getting into the top 20. I am only going to buy the big boys.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt great looking Campy. Congrats on the pickup!!!
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Love that Yount!
    Here's my newest pickup for my HOF set. I'm glad I decided to do this set again and very happy with this Robin Yount.

• Bobby, thank you for sharing such a sweet Yount Rookie!

The Post-War HOF RC Set is SO addictive! LOL
    Bobby
    very nice yount.
    Some sweet cards posted here.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    Recent Addition to my HOF RC Collection.

• << <i>Recent Addition to my HOF RC Collection.

image >>

thats simply an AMAZING card! Thank You for sharing with us image
    Miller what a jaw dropping card that Seaver is, thank for sharing. My recent pickup is peanuts compared to yours.

Nice centering on that Henderson RC! image