Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Offical Baseball HOF Rookies Thread (Future HOF Rookies too)@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comments

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Darn Nice 5 Andy, this will be fun watching the quest for 7.00. Good Luck.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭
    gees andy its been a while since high school but my gpa was never over 1.5

and ernie is one of the nicest u will ever meet.

Considering the cost of a few of the 51's and before......thats a hi avg. Should bough Dimitri's collection
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy, super nice gesture on Mr.Miller part on the Larkin. Andy on the Banks another super looking card, good luck on your quest for 7.0
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Bobby. Probably just a pipe dream, but we'll see how it goes.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    LOVE that Puckett! Such a hard card to find centered in a 9
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
    My pleasure Andy, I am glad I could return the favor you did for me with so many 2012 Heritage cards.

My recent addition to my HOF Set. Never thought I would own this one:

OMG Matt. That card is amazing!!!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Holy shinola, that's the prettiest PSA 7 Mantle Rookie I've seen yet. Fantastic card, Matt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Got this card in yesterday. This card is AWESOME! Out of the holder, you would swear this is a NM/MT Banks RC. Awesome, I love this card as well.

<< <i>Got this card in yesterday. This card is AWESOME! Out of the holder, you would swear this is a NM/MT Banks RC. Awesome, I love this card as well.

image >>

ummmm wow?

what gives? do tell us what the scan's hiding image
    Now you're showing off. That scan of the Banks is outstanding Matt, I would resubmit and hope they bump that bad boy.

Here's my three recent pickups, these are very modest to Matt's pickups but fit nicely into my HOF Collection. I purchased all three from Rich (Digicat)

imageimage

<< <i>Now you're showing off. That scan of the Banks is outstanding Matt, I would resubmit and hope they bump that bad boy.

Here's my three recent pickups, these are very modest to Matt's pickups but fit nicely into my HOF Collection. I purchased all three from Rich (Digicat)

imageimage

image >>

those are AWESOME! old flips too. have to wonder about bumppage.
    Nice additions Porky! All three of those cards have fantastic centering to them. The Carew is tough to find centered. Congrats! image
    Ditto. Great centering on that trio.
  • Has anyone attempted to extend this list to prewar?

<< <i>Has anyone attempted to extend this list to prewar? >>

I'm sure quite a few of us have, but there's just too much uncertainty about key pre-war HOF rookie cards to really create a definitive set. There's a handful of players (Ted Williams, Rizzuto, Reese, etc.) that have no-doubter key rookies. But the majority do not. You also run into the problem of defining what a "card" is. Would postcards be allowed? And what about oddball issues? Or minor league issues? Joe DiMaggio, for instance, has about 3 or 4 cards that are considered his true rookie by different collectors. To me it's his '36 WWG issue, but others would disagree.

Anyway, it's a great question that will spark great debate. If we ever decide to go down that road, this list will help:

HOF Rookies

• << <i>

I'm sure quite a few of us have, but there's just too much uncertainty about key pre-war HOF rookie cards to really create a definitive set. There's a handful of players (Ted Williams, Rizzuto, Reese, etc.) that have no-doubter key rookies. But the majority do not. You also run into the problem of defining what a "card" is. Would postcards be allowed? And what about oddball issues? Or minor league issues? Joe DiMaggio, for instance, has about 3 or 4 cards that are considered his true rookie by different collectors. To me it's his '36 WWG issue, but others would disagree.

Anyway, it's a great question that will spark great debate. If we ever decide to go down that road, this list will help:

HOF Rookies >>

Thanks for the response. I see the obstacles are many in this, but sounds like a fun challenge. Sounds like there is plenty of time to amass this list. And we could position rules around it (i.e. only baseball cards, only major league, etc...)

I might use the link you posted to come up with at least the no brainers. Then start up a thread where we can debate, set the rules, and eventually fill in the gaps?

im having a hard enough time with the '48 leaf SPs!!! lol
    I may have missed a couple, but I consider these to be on the short list of no-brainers:

1933 Goudey: Arky Vaughan
    1934 Goudey: Hank Greenberg
    1939 Play Ball: Ted Williams
    1941 Play Ball: Pee Wee Reese
    1941 Double Play: Phil Rizzuto, Lou Boudreau, Enos Slaughter (he has a '38 Goudey proof card, but I don't think that would apply)

Hand-cut cards are also going to be a hot-button topic. Some people like 'em. Some people hate 'em.
    Am I safe in saying that 33 Goudey Foxx and Ott either variation would be on this list?

I am pretty ignorant in PreWar, but would probably tackle this assuming depending on what the composition looked like.

I would view it as a way to become more knowledgeable on the subject.
    Foxx and Ott both have a slew of cards to consider pre-'33. At the very least Foxx has a '32 US Caramel card that trumps the '33 Goudey.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    The Prewar Rookie card site is awesome. However, it does leave it up to the collector to decide what they want to collect.

I started going "off spec" for the PSA set registry when I found that Bond Bread Jackie Robinson. Yeah, his Leaf is more valuable, but his Bond Bread card came first.

Besides, if you wanted PSA to make a registry set, they'd go by what Beckett says, and Beckett says a 1933 Goudey is Babe Ruth's rookie card.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

<< <i>am pretty ignorant in PreWar, >>

I feel the same way Matt does about the pre-war cards even though I have owned a few (1933 Goudey Arky Vaughan and Paul Waner) I would like to purchase a few pre-war HOF Pirates someday. BTW what is considered Pie Traynors true RC 33 Goudey?

Here's my newest Post-War HOF pickup. Since these cards go hand in hand I'll show my Yount rookie with my new Brett.

imageimage
    Bobby,

1922 American Caramel for Pie Traynor. Tough card.

AM
  • paleocardspaleocards Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭
    George & Robin make a beautiful couple, Bobby, congrats! Where did you find the Yount 8.5 -- I've been looking for one of those for quite a while...

<< <i>George & Robin make a beautiful couple, Bobby, congrats! Where did you find the Yount 8.5 -- I've been looking for one of those for quite a while... >>

Andy, I found the Yount on Ebay a couple of months ago and made the deal off eBay.
    em r nice serious blazers. Jay like
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    Bobby, those are amazing looking!
    Wonderful Brett! Congrats on the pair! That Brett looks like a 9.
  • Matt, Mel Ott's Rookie is the 1929 R316 Kashin Publications.

• Great card Charley
    Latest pickup for my HOF set. This will be it until after the National.

just a beaut matt.
    centering is about perfect
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

<< <i>This will be it until after the National. >>

I've heard that before!! image The Ryan is spectacular Matt!!! Great pickup
    That Ryan 8 is stellar. Rare to see that centering that fantastic. Congrats!
    After gutting my post-war HoFer collection, I ended up meeting my sales targets, and then some. So, I figured I could start knocking off the "retired numbers" part of my Giants collection with the surplus.

It's amazing how affordable these pre-war cards are!

Matt, that is an amazing copy!!!

• << <i>After gutting my post-war HoFer collection, I ended up meeting my sales targets, and then some. So, I figured I could start knocking off the "retired numbers" part of my Giants collection with the surplus.

It's amazing how affordable these pre-war cards are!

image >>

Happy I could contribute, lol! Great looking card!
    Yeah, when I buy the thing that I sold off my collection to get, I'll post pics. Warning, not card related, and not all that cool. LOL.

Like that Ott RC. Congrats, looking forward to seeing what you purchased Rich.
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple of recent pickups over the past month or so.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 80.51% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.80% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
    Very nice, Going to submit those RAW ones? That Brooks is really pretty, great centering.

<< <i>Very nice, Going to submit those RAW ones? That Brooks is really pretty, great centering. >>

Not the Williams, it has a small wrinkle that will keep it from a good grade. I might sub the Yaz, the corners will keep it from anything good though. And i am definitely subbing the Killebrew.
    What I Collect:

• Edging closer to 50% thanks to digicat.....

<< <i>Edging closer to 50% thanks to digicat..... >>

Happy to help. image

I only have 1 card left (to sell), a 51 Fox PSA 7. Anyone need that one?

Picked up these 2 tonight from a board member that lives close by.

What I Collect:

<< <i>Picked up these 2 tonight from a board member that lives close by.

image >>

NICE! cant wait to see them when they get back from PSA!
    im down to my last seven. hope to find some at the show next month
    I may send the drysdale in, doubt the bunning as it has a corner crease keeping it from a good grade. Im just trying to get all the post war rookie cards, whether they are graded or not. I am now at the halfway point! A lot of what i have is raw, but not all.
    What I Collect:

Look forward to seeing results. That's a nice Drysdale