Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    Other PITA 10's I would add are 1986 Meadow Gold Milk Carton, 1987 Classic Green (borders chip really bad), 1991 Desert Shield (Record Breaker), 1996 Liberty Sports (tough to find, much less in high grade), 1989 Topps, and of course the 1980 minor league issues.

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget all the crap from Leaf in the late 80's.
  • Options
    I'm hoping to get my first submission going in the next month. I'll probably just do my 6 freebies first and see how well I did on predicting grades. So far I've decided on my 1981 WTF (which I think will get a 6-7), 1990 Donruss Blue/White Test (which I think will get a 7-8, I just want it slabbed though), and 2 or 3 of my 1996 Liberty Sports (which hopefully will be 9s and 10s). Still deciding on what other cards would fill out the submission. After that I will probably do a couple more small submissions until I feel that I am doing good on pre-grading and then I can start with bulk subs image
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, send in your higher dollar cards for your freebies. I think they also carry a 5 or 7 day turnaround too. Save the "junk subs" for the specials.
  • Options
    I'm starting to fill the holes in my Basic & Collector Issues Set, and I have about 60 raws that I need to send in. I can't wait until the next decent CC Special or group bulk sub!
  • Options
    I'm going about it a little differently, going to go after the Ripken mini sets first (i.e. 1995 Emotion Timeless, Score Burger King, etc..), then I will start focusing more on the Basic, and Basic and Collector's sets. Also, will probably do a sub to finish out the Basic Topps set in all 9's with a few scattered 10's. I've got a ton of raw Ripken's (6000+), just haven't had the time or cash to do subs!
  • Options
    Remember, when any of your sets reach the 90% complete mark, you are eligible for a free grading voucher! The number of vouchers depend on the number of cards that the set consists of.

More info
  • Options
    4SC is currently dumping off a ton of side-issue PSA 10 Ripken cards with a $6.00 BIN. Not too bad of a price for any PSA 10 Ripken! It's helping me fill in some holes in my Collector Issues Set. Nice!
  • Options
    I just snagged the 97 Topps for the basic set off of ebay the other day fo $12.50 shipped. So it seems there are some deals out there.
    Le Mieux Collection
    #19 All Time 500 Goal Scorers
    #41 All Time 3000 Strikeouts Club
    #25 Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Topps
    #4 Greg Maddux Basic Topps
    #7 Ryne Sandberg Basic Topps
    #1 Fank Thomas Rookies 100%
    #1 Chipper Jones Rookies 100%
  • Options
    The 1997 Topps has a Pop of 19 (I think), so it's one that you can snag for a fairly low price. Some other cheaper ones to acquire are the 1991, 1992, 1993. The 1995 can be rough (as far as 90s cards go). I remember spending $50 for my PSA 9!! Not a proud moment... image
  • Options
    Yeah, the 95 has been tough. No offerings at all. I picked up a Maddux 10 1995 the other day, but still on the hunt for Ripken. I've seen a few 97's in the past, but all of them got to around $30+ so I passed at the time. I'm thinking of cracking some 89 and 90 racks to try and pull a 10 for those two years. Those are a couple of low pop 10's and I figure breaking open some packs from those years would be a nice trip down memory lane, let alone it's cheap.
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    I've recently opened 10 boxes of 90 Topps. All I can say is there is a reason there aren't many Ripkens in PSA 10 condition.

!. You will only pull 1 or 2 if any from each box. Huge 792 card set really limited on how many cards you will pull especially since they hadn't started monitoring the cards going into each pack like they do now. It's seriously a crap shoot as to what you're gonna get in each pack, including doubles.

2. It seems like the tendency was to put the star players as the first or last card in the pack. Problem with this was 1 of 2 things, the wax to seal the pack or the gum. Need I say more?

3. Poor card stock. Cards are prone to chipping on the edges and dinging on the corners.

4. Crappy business motto... Quantity over Quality! These cards are all over the place as far as centering. Also the different colored printing plates were often misaligned, which gave a blurry look to the card.

5. As hard as it is to believe these cards are almost 20 years old now! Unless you find a seller that can verify that he pulled the boxes out of a case that sat on a shelf in his shop for all that time your boxes will have been kicked around quite a bit, and considering how tightly the cards are packed in these boxes you can write off a bunch of packs before you even start opening them.

The only positive you might find while pulling is that there are 3 different Ripkens (Base, Record Breaker, & All Star) so you'll definitely pull something. Also the Frank Thomas and Sammy Sosa RCs are in here (including the infamous NNOF Thomas if you're lucky) and in your case the Maddux base card is in here as well. Also 1 thing a lot of people don't remember, the box bottoms have cards on them including a Ripken! I have yet to find one worthy of cutting up and submitting, but when I do I can assure you it would be a rare sight for a Master Set.

So if you decide to take the plunge good luck. But don't hold your breath.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not taking the leap just yet, but if I do take a stab at it, I'm going with rack packs all the way, so I can try and avoid as much of the chipping as possible. As for the centering and focus, well that'll just have to be what it is. I know it is a long shot, but unless I see someone with an 89 or 90 for sale, I'm going to just have some fun with it and take a chance. I figure I'll pull out all the HOFers that I come across and if I get any that are grade worthy, I'll sub them at some point and sell or trade with others who are looking to finish other players sets. Might be a huge waste of time, but if anything, it'll be fun to bust some packs from my childhood again.
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    If you want to get your heart broken, try subbing a 1988... I sent in what I thought was my best (out of a couple dozen), and it came back a SEVEN! lol, better off spending the cash on one already slabbed. I forgot about the 1990... it's only a Pop 12. Who would have though such a mass produced card would be so hard to nail a 10?
  • Options
    I actually got my 89 for $12 +shipping...
  • Options

<< <i>I sent in what I thought was my best (out of a couple dozen), and it came back a SEVEN! >>

Ouch, that hurts!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    It was a freebie sub for getting over 90% in my basic topps set, but the shipping killed it.
  • Options
    Hey K, this is for you. Don't know if you got the mail magazine for the latest Andy Madec Auction and they have a great photo of Tony C in it. Minimum bid $100. Just wanted to give you a heads up on the offering incase you didn't know.
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Thanks I actually took a look at that photo but I think it's got a pretty inflated price tag on it.

Jeff did you get those cards I sent you yet?
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    anyone have an interest in a 1987 Kraft Panel featuring Ripken and Strawberry, graded PSA 10 GEM MINT? Was going to put on Ebay, but thought I would offer it here first. It is a population one example [very, very difficult to find GEM MINT examples from this set, as anything that made it to the supermarket shelves invariably had surface scratching and wear]

I'll try and post a scan later, I'm having a bit of an issue in attaching here.

Marc

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    ^^ PM sent
  • Options
    Yes, I did receive those cards, thanks!! Did you receive the one I sent you?

Here is a scan of my 1987 Kraft Ripken. I like the smaller sized slabs anyway, but good luck with the sale! image

• Options

<< <i>Yes, I did receive those cards, thanks!! Did you receive the one I sent you? >>

Yeah thanks man
  • Options
    So I was taking a page out of Jeff's book of tricks just now by putting all my Ripkens into Top Loaders (ran out quickly at 6 boxes) when I came across a card that I havn't seen in years. All I know about it was that I bought it at a fair way back in the day for $1.

Can anyone help identify it?

• Options
    Oh btw I was quite disappointed with the "PSA 10" Desert Shield I bought for $200+! Take a look...

The front is ok:

But as for the back...
    That isn't my scanner that was blurry. It's the crappy misaligned printing on the back!

Kinda pissed about this. PSA really dropped the ball here!
  • Options

<< <i>So I was taking a page out of Jeff's book of tricks just now by putting all my Ripkens into Top Loaders (ran out quickly at 6 boxes) when I came across a card that I havn't seen in years. All I know about it was that I bought it at a fair way back in the day for $1.

Can anyone help identify it?

image >>

I don't know what it is, but it's a great card. I love that photo and the facsimile sig is a nice touch.
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    That is a pretty cool oddball! Obviously his 1991 stats, but a photo taken with pre-1989 uniforms. Good stuff!!

I'm shocked at your Ripken Desert Shield! They always seemed to hold the 1991 DS cards at a higher standard, so I'm surprised to see this! Still, I would be proud to own it!
  • Options
    Now that I am in the game, this thread will never again fall to the second page.

P.S. Bump
  • Options
    So I picked up an 82 Traded in BGS 9 the other day. I think I'm gonna pop it then sub to PSA. It had a 10 for a sub on centering so I'm hoping for the best since that was the biggest problem with the issue. I figure it will come back a 9 which I guess will have to hold me over til I break the bank for a 10. Sorta like my recently acquired Desert Shield 10. I'd like to get a different one but will have to be satisfied with what I have til then.

Jeff I know you'll like this. I started a Master set. Right now I'm sitting at about 6%. I plan to publish it once I get to about 10% So give me a little time and then my Ripkens will all be on display.

Oh and lastly my case of 92's came in the other day. I'm seriously dreading the thought of having to open all that crap just to go treasure hunting for something I'm probably not going to find. Oh well I'll keep everyone posted with the progress.
  • Options
    LMFAO!!!

Look at the price!

Don't get me wrong I'd love to own this but I could think of a lot of things I'd rather do with that much money, like buy a BIG house, or a yacht!
  • Options
    Classic...

I love how he recently changed his ebay name too...
  • Options
    I think they added a few too many zeros image
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Anybody have a picture of the 93 Donruss Preview?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Just posted this in the Sports Cards & Memorabilia Forum. Is anyone planning on sending something in to Ironclad?
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    i'm trying to get this stupid picture on here from my photobucket....it keeps messing up
  • Options
    I bet that none of you guys have this one in your Ripken registries.

• Options
    Is that Cal in the background?

(edited to add: Sorry for the cat hair on the scanner image )
  • Options

<< <i>Just posted this in the Sports Cards & Memorabilia Forum. Is anyone planning on sending something in to Ironclad? >>

Unfortunately my funds are a bit thin these days, so no signings for me image
  • Options
    Nice card! I don't even have that in my raw collection!

Looking at that Belanger card, it really looks like him, but it's too hard to tell.
  • Options
    The 99 Bowman Best Atomic Refractors are serial #ed to 100 so they are pretty tought to find. I am going to cross this one over to PSA. It is currently the only BGS 9.5 and there are no PSA 10's
  • Options

<< <i>The 99 Bowman Best Atomic Refractors are serial #ed to 100 so they are pretty tought to find. I am going to cross this one over to PSA. It is currently the only BGS 9.5 and there are no PSA 10's >>

Definitely a nice card!
  • Options
    Thanks tuna!!! I'm working on that set or I would sell or trade it to one of the Ripken collectors on here.
  • Options
    Nice card! I just picked up an 89 Topps for my basic set today, so I'm pumped about that one!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Congrats!!
  • Options
    cardfan07cardfan07 Posts: 680 ✭✭
    Not sure if you saw, but I'm selling some Cal cards. Only PSA 9's left, but a few obscure cards too.

Forum thread
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    Yes, I was looking through your list last night, but all of those cards I either have graded already, or they are only in the Master Set. Since I'm only concentrating on the Basic & Collector Issues Set, I can't afford to start chasing down the Master Set cards. Good luck though!
  • Options
    A few Ripken oddballs that I might sub during the current special.

• Options
    Looks good!! I have those same cards in my April Special Sub que. Good luck!
  • Options
    Just wanna give a heads up. The 90 Topps Ripken thats closing tomorrow night I'm gonna be going after pretty aggresively. So I hope I don't step on too many toes but I REALLY want that card right now! Lets just say that we'll definitely be in trip digits by close if it takes that...

Oh and an update on my quest for a 92 Elite AU. I've opened 7 of the 20 boxes in the Series 2 case I picked up and still no sign of an Elite. I do have a bunch of the BC1 Cals, so I'll prob send in a bunch of them during the special this month and then offer them up to all you guys before they go on Ebay. Seriously tedious and unpleasureable task, but it's worth a shot. Oh Cyots82, do you have a 92 Donruss Ryan yet? If you don't I'll sub one for ya and then cut you a deal.
  • Options
    Adam, I was just getting ready to mention that 1990 Topps PSA 10. I knew several of us were going to take a crack at it, and I wanted to save someone some money. I'm definitely not bidding on it. I'm saving my money this month for the April Special. I'll be watching!