Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I NEVER get sick of the scans! Keep 'em coming!! image
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭
    Jackstraw gave me the inspiration for today's scan on the Griffey, Jr. thread:

1996 Collector's Choice You Make the Play Home Run, Double and Gold Signature Home Run

• Options
    Won this today image

• Options
    And got this in the mail today!

What do you think, should I chop this and get it graded?
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you think, should I chop this and get it graded? >>

I definitely think you should get it graded. Is there any way you could post a photo with a closer view to the card?
  • Options
    So the other day I was cleaning out my "Card Room" and putting everything into 5000ct boxes when I saw a Ripken on the bottom of an 89 Topps box that looked really good and not all scuffed up like most that I have seen. So I set it aside and planned to cut it after I ate dinner. Well when I went back upstairs I was greeted by my dog shredding it apart! Thanks Rocco.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Nice scans Tuna! Love them you make the play cards!
    Curiosity cost me 40 bucks but am happy with it.

imageimage
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    No scan and nothing too exciting, but got this one yesterday along with a 1984 Fleer PSA 9:

1991 STADIUM CLUB MEMBERS ONLY CAL RIPKEN JR. PSA 10

Edit to add a few cards at PSA I am waiting on:

1982 Fleer Cal Ripken Jr #176
    1987 Topps All Star Glossy Cal Ripken #16
    1987 Topps Cal Ripken #784
    1988 Donruss Ripken Family #625
    1991 Studio Cal Ripken Jr #9
    1992 Pinnacle Cal Ripken Jr #200
  • Options
    Well, here's a few more:

Closer scan of the Meadow Gold

And a couple for K image

Unfortunately, none of the Topps are gradeworthy, the OPC probably is though. I might sub the whole panel to see what it gets, and if it's less than a 8 I will chop the Ripken.
  • Options
    Nice on the 93 preview, I've got the 92 Donruss and the 92 Studio, but haven't picked up the 93 yet. Maybe I'll post those 2 tomorrow.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Very nice stuff guys, love the oddball and regional stuff.

Seeing some of this has sparked a question...is there a Frank Thomas in that '93 Donruss Preview set? I only ask because this Beckett has the image of a card I've never seen on it...

The actual '93 Donruss Thomas card looks like this:

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice stuff guys, love the oddball and regional stuff.

Seeing some of this has sparked a question...is there a Frank Thomas in that '93 Donruss Preview set? I only ask because this Beckett has the image of a card I've never seen on it...

>>

Yep! #14 in the set.
  • Options
    Love the box bottoms its just too bad that PSAmakes you cut beyond the lines to be grade worthy.
    From what I gather the 93 Donruss Preview's are tough. I rarely see the Griffey and have never seen the Ripken untill now.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    The 1993 Triple Play Promos are even tougher! Come to think of it 1993 has a few tough promos, Pinnacle Cooperstown and Select Dufex Proofs.
  • Options
    93 Triple Play Promos? Cool I know I have the Griffey.
    Just to add to the 93 Promo toughness >93 Diamond Marks Prototypes are actually scarce!
    Collector Focus

• Options

<< <i>Just to add to the 93 Promo toughness >93 Diamond Marks Prototypes are actually scarce! >>

Unfortunately, no Cal in there image
  • Options
    Sent this in on my last sub. Card is much nicer than the photo.

• Options
    Here's a few 'oddballs' I have in my raw collection:

This one is pretty interesting. I have the whole set in 12-card sheets. I'm not too sure of the origin, but my Dad sent them to me from Maryland (where he lives) back when they first came out. It's basically every Oriole who played in Memorial Stadium, or close to it.
  • Options
    this is my 1993 Donruss Preview, along with the 1991 SI for Kids that I rippedout myself in 1991 (kicking myself), a 1991 Mootown Snackers, and an odd tattoo that I can never find any info on. Any help?

• Options
    Here are some more 'oddballs' from various past ebay and card show pick-ups:

• Options
    That guy re-listed his 1990 Topps PSA 10 because he had Bo Jackson listed in the description instead of Ripken... lol
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a few 'oddballs' I have in my raw collection:

This one is pretty interesting. I have the whole set in 12-card sheets. I'm not too sure of the origin, but my Dad sent them to me from Maryland (where he lives) back when they first came out. It's basically every Oriole who played in Memorial Stadium, or close to it.
    image >>

Those were put out during the 1991 season (sold at Crown Gas Stations in series form) and depict EVERY Oriole player from 1954 thru the beginning of the 1991 season (504 cards in set)....They were also sponsored by Coca-Cola although they are referred to as "Crown Orioles."
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Sent this in on my last sub. Card is much nicer than the photo. >>

That set is the 1991 Crown/Coke Orioles. Here's some info from the SCD Catalog: "Claiming to include every player for the modern (1954-1991) Baltimore Orioles, this 501-card set was issued in four series. The first three series contain 120 cards each in a format of a dozen perforated cards on each of 10 sheets. Those series were given away at May 17, June 28 and August 11 home games. The fourth series, 12 sheets of 12 cards, including three blank cards, was available only at participating Crown gas stations, which also sold the first three series following the giveaways days at the ballpark."

The tattoos you have are either the OPC or Topps Tattoos from 1986. Unfortunately without more of the panel I don't think there is a way to tell the difference, which is the copyright notice.

Edited to add: I need to type faster... Ironmanfan beat me to it image
  • Options

<< <i>Love the box bottoms its just too bad that PSAmakes you cut beyond the lines to be grade worthy. >>

Yeah, especially on the 1989 and 1990 box bottoms, have to cut through 3 other HoF'ers to get to Cal!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Love the box bottoms its just too bad that PSAmakes you cut beyond the lines to be grade worthy.
    From what I gather the 93 Donruss Preview's are tough. I rarely see the Griffey and have never seen the Ripken untill now. >>

You can submit the entire 4-card panel box bottom. PSA does grade those :-)
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>

You can submit the entire 4-card panel box bottom. PSA does grade those :-) >>

True, but to have a complete master set you would need both the panel and the single card. By the way, I love looking through your Schmidt collection. I can't imagine how tough some of those issues from the 70's were to find. Would love to see a scan of your graded 89 OPC box panel sometime image
  • Options
    Looks like O'Connor has one graded... sweet! This is the only Ripken graded from this set. Nice!

• Options

<< <i>Looks like O'Connor has one graded... sweet! This is the only Ripken graded from this set. Nice! >>

Looks good in a slab! I've got a few taken from sheets that I want to get graded. Would hope they would at least get an 8. Pesky perforated edges make it tricky though.
  • Options
    Just for grins I took a pic of my Beckett and Sports Illustrated mags with Ripken on the cover. I eventually want to frame and display them, but I think it might take up too much room.

• Options
    I remember those old Becketts! Those early 90's one's ALWAYS had great photos! I have some of those SI's too. I'm looking to get the SI that is on your first row, second from the left signed when he does the show in Houston. I'm thinking nice silver pen in the black of his jersey. I bought that one when it came out and put it in a mag top loader right off the magazine stand. It's one I've been waiting a long time to get signed! should be great times.
    Le Mieux Collection
    #19 All Time 500 Goal Scorers
    #41 All Time 3000 Strikeouts Club
    #25 Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Topps
    #4 Greg Maddux Basic Topps
    #7 Ryne Sandberg Basic Topps
    #1 Fank Thomas Rookies 100%
    #1 Chipper Jones Rookies 100%
  • Options
    Magazines can look great in a frame. When I lived in Austin,TX, one of my clients was a real estate agent, and one of his clients happened to be Lance Armstrong. He had an awesome framed piece with 9 different of Lance's Sports Illustrated covers, all signed!
  • Options
    My father has a large collection of signed SI's going all the way back to the early sixties. Most anyone you can think of he has their cover signed. Jordan is about the only big name he doesn't have. He justy completed one last month. Abdual Jabar and Bill Walton on the same cover. He had walton sign years ago and just picked up Jabar. It's impresive!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Jeff was the inspiration for today's scan when he posted the Crown/Coke Orioles. This is the 1992 Crown Orioles Action Standups. The cards are tall and measure 4 1/4" x 9". Does anyone have the collector's album that you were able to buy from the gas stations?

imageimage

• Options
    I love that!
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Dang, K bumped me out of 8th spot on the Master set image I really need those 11 cards I've been waiting on for 6 months to be put into the registry. Gotta love PSA's speedy service!
  • Options
    Awesome stand-up!!
  • Options

<< <i>Dang, K bumped me out of 8th spot on the Master set image I really need those 11 cards I've been waiting on for 6 months to be put into the registry. Gotta love PSA's speedy service! >>

Believe it or not it was completely on accident. I didn't want to post my master until I had more cards for it. When I added in the 90 Topps I got in the other day, I accidently commited it, and the rest is history. Not much difference between my master and basic but there's really nothing I can do about it now... sorry.
  • Options

<< <i>

Believe it or not it was completely on accident. I didn't want to post my master until I had more cards for it. When I added in the 90 Topps I got in the other day, I accidently commited it, and the rest is history. Not much difference between my master and basic but there's really nothing I can do about it now... sorry. >>

It's all good, not the first time I've been bumped and surely won't be the last image
  • Options
    New competition? eBay bidder with 41 feedback bidding on a ton of PSA 10's. Any of you guys?
  • Options

<< <i>New competition? eBay bidder with 41 feedback bidding on a ton of PSA 10's. Any of you guys? >>

Not I...
  • Options
    Todays scan, 1993 Topps Finest Jumbo. This really looks a lot better in person. I love the huge PSA slab. I don't love that 6 months ago I submitted this cert to be added to the Master Set registry and I'm still waiting...

imageimage
  • Options
    It does seem PSA is moving much slower in a time where they claim to have less cards coming thru the doors. On a side note, my 90 Topps just came today, so I poped that on the reg. Still looking for a 10 1987 Topps. If anyone out there has one, please let me know. I used to see these on the bay all the time and now I can't find one for my life.
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Got these 2 for $9 total from 4SC

1987 SPORTFLICS #9 CAL RIPKEN JR. PSA 10
    1989 BOWMAN #9 CAL RIPKEN JR. PSA 10
  • Options
    Nice pick ups! Anything at grade 10 is a steal for that cheap!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Group sub cards that popped today:

110 1 14785907 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1982 FLEER 176 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US Whatever
    125 1 14785922 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1987 TOPPS ALL-STAR GLOSSY SET OF 22 16 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    126 1 14785923 MINT 9 1987 TOPPS 784 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    127 1 14785924 MINT 9 1988 DONRUSS 625 RIPKEN BASEBALL FAMILY Card US
    139 1 14785936 GEM MINT 10 1991 STUDIO 9 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    141 1 14785938 MINT 9 1992 PINNACLE 200 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
  • Options
    Been busy starting a new business so haven't posted any scans lately... but here's one for today. 1997 Score Jumbo from a trade with BunchOBull, nice guy and happy with the trade! The other card is just there for size comparison.

• Options
    Texti lost a few to him, i have no ideal who he is,he did get some nice cal cards
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Glad you like it Don. I know I'm syked to have the Liberty Sports in my collection.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    "buildingcal", welcome! Do you have a set on the registry?
  • Options
    i have all the cal sets on the registry, looking to do some trading or buying from some of you, name is workclothing