#41 All Time 3000 Strikeouts Club
    #25 Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Topps
    #4 Greg Maddux Basic Topps
    #7 Ryne Sandberg Basic Topps
    #1 Fank Thomas Rookies 100%
    #1 Chipper Jones Rookies 100%
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys - I figured that although this is not the buy/sell forum - this card is relevant enough to post to this thread (just listed in my auctions) - 1984 OPC Cal Ripken PSA 10
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    I have the following Ripken cards available for sale. Please PM an offer if interested...thanks!

84 Topps Tiffany PSA 9
    85 Topps Tiffany PSA 9
    87 Topps Tiffany PSA 9
    88 Topps Tiffany PSA 9
    89 Topps Tiffany PSA 9
    90 Topps Tiffany PSA 9/10
    91 Topps Tiffany PSA 9/10
    93 Topps Gold PSA 8/9
    96 Topps Chrome PSA 9/9 Refractor
    97 Topps Chrome PSA 9(2)
    00 Topps Chrome PSA 9
    87 Fleer Glossy PSA 9
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I figured I would wake up this thread, so what a better way to do it than with my latest purchase!!

Holy Crap I Bought It!! image

I'm taking my chances on the condition, but what the hell!! The best $142.60 I ever spent! image
  • Options
    Jeff, the reverse psychology on my wife finally worked. She loves Ripken and finally said and I quote "Why don't you start a Ripken set for me?" SWEEEEETTTT!!!! I just subbed about 25 different Ripkens.
  • Options
    Sweet!! Which set are you planning on starting?
  • Options
    artimusartimus Posts: 684
    My wife decided that Gretzky was a 'hottie'.......we are now doing a Gretzky set........image
  • Options
    That is a fantastic card! I remeber when I was opening packs trying like crazy to pull one. Someday I'll pick one of those up.
    Le Mieux Collection
    #19 All Time 500 Goal Scorers
  • Options
    I was on BBCE thinking about buying a case of 1992 Donruss, about ready to pull the trigger, then I told myself SCREW IT, I'll just go buy a card! I know it's all about the thrill of the chase, but this is one of the 5 Ripken cards that I've always wanted to own (since it came out), and I wanted to treat myself. It's going straight to PSA when I get it.
  • Options
    Yeah I agree the chase would be fun, but when you know what you want and you can get it, there is nothing like that feeling. Since this was one of your top cards, I'm with you for buying it outright. One day I hope to do the same. Good luck with the grading, I hope the best for you with the grade!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Thanks!! Yah, I figured I already paid my dues chasing this card when I was 15 years old, buying boxes with my paper route money, and a couple boxes here and there as an adult. It was time to just bite the bullet! Next on my list is a 1991 Topps Desert Shield (both of them).
  • Options
    It seems your wish list is just like mine. I've wanted a DS for the longest time. I see them up all the time, but I'm always searching something else out at that time. One of these days I'm just going to bite that bullet and pick one up. I knew a coupe kids growing up who had relatives in the service and had a couple DS cards. I always tried to trade for them but no one would do it.
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Nice buy Jeff. I think you came out on the positive end of this deal. $155 is nothing compared to how many boxes you'd need to buy just to attempt and pull this. I hope it subs out well for ya.

EDIT: BTW I called PSA about why I havn't seen my Jan Special sub pop yet. They told me that they never recieved one! After having a mild stroke, and then verbally crucifying the chic I was talking to on the phone I hung up and went down to have a loooooooong talk to the manager at my local post office. I actually still had the reciept for the 2 boxes I submitted, which was actually a life saver, because he was able to show me that they had been recieved on Feb 4th by PSA! I decided not to call back because I felt that another ear raping would be unnecessary, since that customer service chic has nothing to do with this issue and probably wouldn't be able to help me again anyway. So I decided to email a novel to them vivedly expressing my displeasure. I got back a reply last Friday saying, "Thank You for your continued service blah blah blah... valued customer blah blah blah... looking into the situation." I'm not very happy about this and will keep you guys posted.
  • Options
    Wow, that sucks!! So I'm assuming it was never logged then either, right? That is INSANE. I'll definitely be looking for updates on that situation. Good luck man.
  • Options

<< <i>Holy Crap I Bought It!! image

>>

UPDATE: I received the card yesterday! Unfortunately it does have a tiny ding on the bottom right corner, so I won't be sending it in to get slabbed. I think it would take away from the card if it came back a PSA 7. Centering is fantastic though. I still love this purchase. It's a small price to pay to get the card that I've been drooling over since I was 15 years old.
  • Options
    I agree, I'd just place it in a nice brick. That card speaks for itself, no need to let a low grade distract from the fact that it is fantastic regardless.
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    I have one of those ball/card displays. I'll put it in there with my Ripken Auto ball. image
  • Options
    Nice. I have my Ripken auto ball, one of the 2131 game balls with the orange laces. It's sitting right next to my Brooks Robinson ball. I also have Frank Robinson and I want to pick up an Eddie Murray ball to more or less complete the all time great Orioles. I have Jim Palmer already too. Should look nice once I have them all, going to set up a nice group display.
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    I only have Jim Palmer and Cal Ripken Jr. on baseballs. My Dad has signed baseballs of ALL Hall of Famers who have ever played with the Orioles (even Reggie Jackson). It's quite impressive! I should take a pic the next time I'm over there. The only bad part is, the Ripken auto he has is TERRIBLE. It's very faint. I should buy him a new one.
  • Options
    That's awesome! Yeah, take some pics if you get a chance. I agree on the Ripken ball, I'm sure he'd love it!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    OriolesOrioles Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    Jeff - I'm doing the same thing your dad has done. I have completed the Orioles HOF in bats (scans below) and am working on the baseballs now. I have most of them. It is a good diversion from cards at time. Ripken picture is a little far away. The Earl Weaver bat also has Altobelli and Bauer (3 WS managers)

Jim

• Options
    That bat collection is IN-SANE!!! I especially love the Ripken display!!! Wow... when I grow up, I want to have a bat collection like that! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing! I would love to see a better pic of that Ripken display.
  • Options
    Finally got around to adding all the pics I've been neglecting for over a month now...
  • Options
    So I got a follow up on my Jan order finally! They found it! They already graded everything and shipped it all out too! Plus I have 5 free submission vouchers on the way. Apparently my 4's look like 9's so practically the whole form was jacked up including my phone# and address.

Significant pops:
    90 Topps Frank Thomas RC PSA10
    90 Score Frank Thomas RC PSA10
    92 Donruss Tim Wakefield RC PSA10 (POP 3)
    99 Bowman Chrome Josh Hamilton RC PSA 10
    99Bowman Chrome Carl Crawford RC PSA 10
    91 Ultra Ripken PSA 10
    94 SP Ripken PSA 10

Have some others as well.

Jeff I'm going to PM you.
  • Options
    re-PM'd

Here's the Ripken part of my January Special. It wasn't very special, besides the Pop 1 Topps Stars:

5 1 14853882 GEM MINT 10 2000 TOPPS STARS 72 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    6 1 14853883 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2000 TOPPS TEK 5 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    7 1 14853884 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1999 SP AUTHENTIC REFLECTIONS R7 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    8 1 14853885 MINT 9 1998 TOPPS TEK 51 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    9 1 14853886 MINT 9 1987 LEAF 98 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    10 1 14853887 MINT 9 1986 TOPPS STICKERS 226 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US
    11 1 14853888 MINT 9 1983 TOPPS STICKERS 315 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card US

Starting to build my Basic & Collectors Edition set! image
  • Options
    Just wanted to add a close-up scan of my 1992 Donruss Elite from that ebay purchase. Bottom-right corner ding, and a rough back-bottom. Oh well, worth every penny! image

• Options
    Did you decide to submit or not. I thought last time you said it wasn't going to PSA? Just wondered if you had changed your mind.
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    I'm still not going to get it slabbed. This would come back PSA 7 at best, and that would take away from the card. I'll keep it for a while, until I see another PSA 10 surface, then I'll sell this one to help pay for the slabbed one. Baby steps! image
  • Options

<< <i>I know most of you saw this card on ebay but i think a scan belongs in this thread...

image >>

Rogermnj posted this back in December. THAT'S my goal!
  • Options
    Lofty aspirations, I like it!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Jeff, I am coming for you. I am almost at 1% complete on my master set. After my sub and group sub come back, I will be at about 6% or so.
  • Options
    DRAT!! lol

Good luck with the Master Set! If I graded my entire raw Ripken collection (about 3400 cards), I would probably have about 60%...

I'm tackling the Basic & Collector Edition Set right now, which will still take me a couple more years at least.
  • Options
    So I finally dug down deep in my wallet and grabbed up one of the big boys in the Master Set...

I'll post a pic as soon as it comes in.
  • Options
    Does it happen to have a gold Desert Shield stamp on the it does it? image1991 Topps DS PSA 10

I wanted to bid on that card last night but I forgot to watch it when it ended. I noticed it sold for $210.50. Last week he had it for sale at $250 or best offer. I submitted an offer of $210 and he turned it down. I guess I was pretty close! There's another one out there that I have my beady little eyes on.
  • Options

<< <i>Does it happen to have a gold Desert Shield stamp on the it does it? image1991 Topps DS PSA 10 >>

That would be a correct assumption Jeff. I dipped into the vacation fund for it, but I know I'll be able to make up the money before the trip.
  • Options
    Nice!! I think I'm going to try for the 1991 Topps DS lot out there right now that has a Ripken in it. I'll take my chances with some raw cards. I've had some positive experience with DS cards before, and it was pretty fun. I'll get them all graded to recoup my money a little. I would love to see a better scan of that card when you get it!! I'm glad now that I forgot to watch it when it ended, that way we didn't bid against each other. Congrats!
  • Options
    So I've been thinking about a new topic to get everyone that contributes to this thread involved. The best I could come up with is to establish the top 5 All Time Ripken cards.

Now there have to be some rules put into place...

1. Card must be from his playing years or minor league years. (1980-2001)
    2. No Super Ultra Rare cards like a 1 of 1 cut auto with Cal and Lou Gehrig which would essentially be priceless.
    3. No Coins or Discs or other oddball issues that PSA includes into their Master Set.
    4. If multiple versions of the same card exist you must be specific as to which one you are refering too.

Scans are welcome.

Debates are encouraged.

In the end if we can all agree on say a top 10 or 15 list maybe we could send PSA a request to change some of the weighting values on their registered sets.
  • Options
    My TOP 5:

1. 1992 Donruss Elite Signature Series

2. 1982 Topps Traded #98T

3. 1981 WTF CO. Rochester Red Wings #1

4. 1993 Finest Refractor #96

5. 1991 Topps Desert Shield #150

Honorable Mention:
    1980 Charlotte O's Team Issue
    1980 WBTV Charlotte O's #16
    1981 TCMA Rochester Red Wings #15
    1982 Topps Future Stars #21
    1982 Fleer #176
    1982 Donruss #405
  • Options
    Here is my list, in order of importance to me, in PSA 10:

1982 Topps Traded #98T
    1992 Donruss Elite Signature Series
    1981 TCMA Rochester Red Wings #15
    1980 Charlotte O's Team Issue
    1980 WBTV Charlotte O's #16
    1981 WTF CO. Rochester Red Wings #1
    1982 Topps Future Stars #21
    1982 Fleer #176
    1993 Finest Refractor #96
    1991 Topps Desert Shield #150
    1982 Donruss #405

As far as how they I think they should be weighted, here's that list:

1. 1982 Topps Traded #98T
    6. 1992 Donruss Elite Signature Series
    2. 1981 TCMA Rochester Red Wings #15
    3. 1980 Charlotte O's Team Issue
    4. 1980 WBTV Charlotte O's #16
    5. 1981 WTF CO. Rochester Red Wings #1
    7. 1982 Topps Future Stars #21
    8. 1982 Fleer #176
    9. 1993 Finest Refractor #96
    10. 1991 Topps Desert Shield #150
    11. 1982 Donruss #405

This is hard to do... I may revisit these lists after thinking about it more...
  • Options
    Here's my run down...

#1 1982 Topps Traded PSA 10 (Because of the grade)
    #2 1992 Donruss Elite Auto
    #3 1991 Topps Desert Shield
    #4 1992 Leaf Black Boarder PSA 10 (I just love the photo on this card and the black boarder with the gold makes it JUMP at you!)
    #5 1993 Finest Refractor

I also what to give some thanks on the board to lsutigers1973 for the 1983 Topps Ripken I just received today from him. Great card, really helped my basic Topps collection. Thanks again!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Jeff,
    Just picked up my subs from the post office this afternoon. I'll get those 2 out to you on Monday.
  • Options
    Trying to make a deal on a case of 92 Donruss. I think the price may be right this time. If I send all the DK's and Elite inserts I pull in to get graded then sell'em I'll probably at least make my money back.
  • Options
    Good luck! From what I remember, I think there's only one Elite per case. I hope you land the big one!
  • Options
    The deal is settled. I got the case for a good price. (essentially $6 a box)

Oh btw Jeff, I packed up the 2 cards in a bubble mailer on saturday but have no idea where they are right now! I looked all over my house and couldn't find them this morning before I had to leave for work. I'll do a more detailed search when I get home, but as of right now I am completely stumped as to where I put them!
  • Options
    lol, that's okay, I hope you find them eventually! I shipped out your card on Saturday ('87 Leaf).

That's a good deal on that case, I think BBCE wants $8 per box, before shipping. Which series did you get? I would look into the seeding of the Elite cards. If it's just one per case, and you land one mid-way through the case, will you just sell the rest of the boxes? I realize it's kindof dishonest, but I'm sure that's where most of the other single boxes come from anyway!
  • Options
    Good news! I found the mailer! It somehow made it's way under my coffee table? I have no idea, just go with it...
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    Pretty much agree with the above lists. Could also do a top 10 PITA (pain in the rear) to find Ripken's, or top 10 toughest Ripken's to get a PSA 10 on.
  • Options
    I'm going with 1990 Topps psa 10. I know they are out there, but you don't see them often!
    Le Mieux Collection
  • Options
    Talking about PITA 10s, the 1988 Topps, and by far the 1985 Topps regular issues. For some reason, they're rough ones...
  • Options
    300!! image